Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

winterwerefox posted:

So far, i have a couple Shepherds, a Dram, and a troopship in my support fleet. my combat fleet is 2 condors, a hammer head, and 2 wolves. Whats a good freighter to carry my stuff? I'm running shielded engines on everything, militarizing everything and only taking ships that dont have engine issues. Looking at adding 2 more Shepherds to the support fleet, but if there is anything better in that role, id like to know.

Buffaloes?

Pirate ones come with shielded cargo holds too. Easily brought up to speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think that's pure chance. I'm pretty sure I've gotten different stuff from them on restarts.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

I mean you need to be really close to a system to get the updates so, you should be able to search your literal neighbours.

Otherwise does the colony threat intel tab not give you a vague idea where it might be?

E:

https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1065418490067263489

this is what my fleets are like because i LOVE fighters and what's better than FREE fighters, that also makes surveying cost almost no supplies?!

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Seeing as cargo is one big fleetwide pool, as is fuel, how does a shielded cargohold work to keep you form getting scanned?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

winterwerefox posted:

Seeing as cargo is one big fleetwide pool, as is fuel, how does a shielded cargohold work to keep you form getting scanned?
It uses common sense logic to count your illegal poo poo towards your shielded capacity first. Which is an understandable surprise, given how many devs would make you jump through hoops to ensure every shred of contraband is specifically assigned.

At least, that's how I remember it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 22, 2018

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The amount of illegal cargo you can carry and get away with via shielded cargo holds is equal to the cargo space of the shielded cargo hold vessels. Kind of. It lowers the probability of getting caught with anything by quite a lot but it's never zero.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I will say that fuel wise, the mid size tanker is the best option. You can mod it to have better fuel efficiency to capacity than either of the other options.

If you need more fuel, buy another phaeton, don't get the giant tanker.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Now that there is a 30 ship fleet cap, never not get the larger fuel or storage ships.

:cmon:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
So do you get to name and pick an icon for your 'faction' and stuff when you make a colony now? It was fun in Nexerelin making 'Anime' the scourge of the sector.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Yes you can. You can also choose your flag from a preset list, which has to be expandable somehow.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The flags really feel like there should be a way to change the color schemes somehow but if it's in there I can't find it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Anime rides again. :black101:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

McGiggins posted:

Yes you can. You can also choose your flag from a preset list, which has to be expandable somehow.

:britain:

It's a little fiddly but
First you need two .png files anywhere inside starsector_core though I'd suggest putting them with the others in: \starsector-core\graphics\factions\custom, they can be named anything but I would, again personally suggest naming them the same with the different appends _flag and _crest.
The first .png needs to be 410x256 and will be the flag. The second needs to be 256x256 and will be the crest.

Second you need to open \starsector-core\data\world\factions, player.faction, and scroll down to "flags":[
Underneath you need to add the file path to your new flags like so:
code:
		{
			"logo":"graphics/factions/custom/<flagname>.png",
			"crest":"graphics/factions/custom/<crestname>.png"
		},
Another time I'll look into seeing if there is a simpler way to automate it. If not a flag pack could be put together in a decently short amount of time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope alex makes it easier. Just a set image size and toss them in "custom flags" folder.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Heh just found a system named Brigador.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
How do you increase the number of points you can field per battle? I don't mean max in the game, I mean as an admiral

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

i salvaged some sick rear end capital ships but theyre fully one half my deployment

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
In settings you can increase the max battlesize up to 500. Any higher and you need to file edit. Not sure what else is being asked.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Capital ships are supposed to be deployment point hogs. Fielding more than 2 is going to run you low on support for them. Even more so if you're up against a bigger fleet.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Jinnigan posted:

How do you increase the number of points you can field per battle? I don't mean max in the game, I mean as an admiral

If you have a bigger fleet then your opponent, you get more deployment points. The total is always 200 (unless the option is changed), but you get more of it. So it might be 110 vs 90, reflecting that your total ships outnumber your opponents even if they aren't all fighting.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Bremen posted:

If you have a bigger fleet then your opponent, you get more deployment points. The total is always 200 (unless the option is changed), but you get more of it. So it might be 110 vs 90, reflecting that your total ships outnumber your opponents even if they aren't all fighting.

Oh, ok. That makes sense.

this is my entire fleet currently. i do have a colony set up. any ideas on what i should be building or gearing? right now i'm having a hard time even with bounties in the 100k-150k range

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

my kinda ape posted:

Heh just found a system named Brigador.

Remove the marked Mudskipper to accept your contract.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Jinnigan posted:

this is my entire fleet currently. i do have a colony set up. any ideas on what i should be building or gearing? right now i'm having a hard time even with bounties in the 100k-150k range
Depends on what your colony looks like. You want a planet with a low hazard rating <=150% and a lot of bonuses (more bonuses, the more 150% is worth it), and also a couple other useful planets in the system. Generally, a habitable planet with at least adequate farmland or any aquatic planet (which due to a bug gets double base food production), and you also want at least common organics on the planet.

In the same system you also want at least +2 rare and +2 normal ore, +3/+3 on a volcanic planet being ideal. This is because one colony in a system is a target even with a High Command, Heavy Batteries, and a Star Fortress, two colonies with High Commands are much harder to hit, and 3+ in the same system (as long as they're all at least size 5) can be left alone because even the strongest attacks are gonna get dogpiled to hell before they even reach anybody's orbit. (you may want starbases and/or ground batteries anyway to get stability 10 with freeport, mileage will vary) You'll want a gas giant or cryovolcanic planet settled for volatiles. And yes, you do want free port because A: 50% accessibility bonus, B: you get in on exporting to the lucrative as gently caress Recreational Drugs market. Only build heavy industry/fuel production/refining on low hazard worlds. The upkeep multiplier on high hazard worlds is brutal. Obviously everything gets a High Command though, and even at 250% hazard those are pretty cheap upkeep as industry starts rolling.

With all that in one system, it's nigh impossible to get any shortages due to your internal merchant fleets being hit, and all that being close together should cancel out most/all accessbility maluses after they get past size 4 except if you're way off in a far corner of the map in which case keep surveying something like this should pop up in the first ring/ring and a half of systems.

After that, you should easily have a million a month coming in and you can do whatever you like. More and bigger ships, survey more for more blueprints, etc.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
This game can really be feast or famine with the blueprints and salvage. Just played a whole game and got utterly dunked on by the red planet because I never once found a capital blueprint. Just got hoards of pirate, ludd and hegemony prints. Seemed like a sign that low tech was my destiny.
After that I finally got legion and paragon prints in the same loot, which is game changing.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just repaired all the ships from the tutorial and I'm using 12 supplies a day for my fleet... that seems like a lot. What can I do?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Do you have too much fuel? that caught me a couple times. if you are over fuel cap, dump it or sell it

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Hit F1 over your supply count and it'll tell you what it all is going to.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I was going to hop in but judging by the posts, it looks like there's balance issues. Should I wait until the next patch?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

buglord posted:

I was going to hop in but judging by the posts, it looks like there's balance issues. Should I wait until the next patch?

Nah it's fine. The colony attack spam is easily brushed away with money. The two main balance issues are that's it's too easy to make money and factions attack you too often, but you can solve the later with the former.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Any tips on getting the AI to field Onslaughts effectively or are they just generally a bad ship vs the remnant? As a joke I made an all-onslaught fleet since my faction lives in post-scarcity luxury. I kitted them out with a ton of anti-fighter poo poo but they had trouble not getting over-loaded and destroyed by enemy fighter and long range weapons.

Finally solved the RED PLANET though, RIP about 8 Onslaughts and 1 monitor.

I fly an XIV Onslaught as my flagship and this is the best advice I can give: don't even use shields. Put on Heavy Armour, Armoured Weapon Mounts and Integrated Point Defence AI , Skill Impact Mitigation and Evasive Action, fill all the small ballistic slots with Vulcans and the rear Medium slots with Flak Cannons and just pretend you don't even have a shield generator. Literally only use the shield to block incoming Reapers you can't shoot down because those are basically the only things that can hurt you.

Also don't let the AI fly them because they'll put the shield up and constantly get overloaded because the Onslaught's flux is really bad.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Ayyy... waiting for favorite mods to update is painful. I want at least Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering or 'dong before I start playing this version. The DME guy is working on it, he's saying the mod already works but needs some last polish and stuff.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What is considered a good or at least acceptable accessibility rating? I gather that’s a super important stat for colonies but I don’t have any sense of what I should be shooting for. Like by contrast, hazard rating also seems really important but there I know that 100% is good.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Bold Robot posted:

What is considered a good or at least acceptable accessibility rating? I gather that’s a super important stat for colonies but I don’t have any sense of what I should be shooting for. Like by contrast, hazard rating also seems really important but there I know that 100% is good.

if the colonize screen gives you over 50%, it's fine. You can boost it with stuff no problem.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Fewd posted:

Ayyy... waiting for favorite mods to update is painful. I want at least Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering or 'dong before I start playing this version. The DME guy is working on it, he's saying the mod already works but needs some last polish and stuff.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

I have a high gravity gas giant with nearly 200% accessibility

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I've found that frozen and cryovolcanic worlds have decent odds of good volatiles availability with lower average hazard ratings than gas giants. Plus they can also have ore resources.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

I get to play!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tarezax posted:

I've found that frozen and cryovolcanic worlds have decent odds of good volatiles availability with lower average hazard ratings than gas giants. Plus they can also have ore resources.

It has vast ruins and +2 volatiles. class V world despite its issues.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Hmmmmmmmm. Me thinks that some of the mods are not yet ready for show time.

Almost all weapons are not available, and blackmarket and hostile open shipyards never have any ships. Additionally, stations of any size only fit PD weapons, specifically Mini-flaks.

I'm running the following:
  • Lazy lib
  • Magic lib
  • Graphics lib
  • Arsenal expansion 1.5
  • Autosave
  • Combat chatter
  • Kadur remnant
  • Mayasuran navy
  • Shadowyards
  • Unknown skies
  • Weaponarcs

I don't suppose anyone has run into the same issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Complications posted:

Depends on what your colony looks like. You want a planet with a low hazard rating <=150% and a lot of bonuses (more bonuses, the more 150% is worth it), and also a couple other useful planets in the system. Generally, a habitable planet with at least adequate farmland or any aquatic planet (which due to a bug gets double base food production), and you also want at least common organics on the planet.

In the same system you also want at least +2 rare and +2 normal ore, +3/+3 on a volcanic planet being ideal. This is because one colony in a system is a target even with a High Command, Heavy Batteries, and a Star Fortress, two colonies with High Commands are much harder to hit, and 3+ in the same system (as long as they're all at least size 5) can be left alone because even the strongest attacks are gonna get dogpiled to hell before they even reach anybody's orbit. (you may want starbases and/or ground batteries anyway to get stability 10 with freeport, mileage will vary) You'll want a gas giant or cryovolcanic planet settled for volatiles.

With all that in one system, it's nigh impossible to get any shortages due to your internal merchant fleets being hit, and all that being close together should cancel out most/all accessbility maluses after they get past size 4 except if you're way off in a far corner of the map in which case keep surveying something like this should pop up in the first ring/ring and a half of systems.

Nice post. I dunno if I've been unlucky or what, though, because I haven't found a system even close to as good as having all that together.

I finally pulled the trigger on making my prime base on a 125% vast ruins/-1/-1/0 (farms, rare, regular ore). That's pretty good. I put up a second there on a 200% +1/+1/+1 (rare, regular, volatiles) that hasn't been worth it.

Now I'm thinking of pulling up that 200% and starting outposts in a second system:

125% extensive ruins/-1/0/0 (farmland/regular ore/organics)
150% -1 (farmland)
150% widespread ruins/-1/-1/0 (farmland/ore/organics)

This would probably be ok and nicely defensible with the 3 overlapping, but it's a far cry from +2/+3s