Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Mendrian posted:

5e has a lot of loving problems but given how casually the devs break the game from the twitter-pulpit it's kind of amazing the underlying game is as stable as it is. Like, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying 5e is stable - I'm saying that given the quality of rulings Mearls and Co make from their personal social media I'd expect the game to be full of recursive rules or have a class that literally does not function as written (like, something that expends but does not regenerate a finite resource, or a class with negative hit points.)

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DX_0907_UA_RangerOptions.pdf

One of the very early revised Ranger attempts doesn't use spellcasting, yet it does have Primeval Awareness. Which is a class feature which requires you to expend spell slots to fuel it. So yes, they absolutely did design a (version of a) class that has a class feature that did literally, genuinely nothing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So has anyone picked up a copy of the Ravnica setting guide? Im curious to see whats in it and if its actually worthwhile.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Mr. Prokosch posted:

This might be the sweetest new player post I've ever read. My advice is: don't worry about it. Are you friends in real life? Then good. Keep a line between player and character. Some people want to play a more reserved character. As time goes on and the players get more comfortable and their character become more developed you will also be sharing experiences together and become more of a team. The game naturally leads to a narrative of growing respect as you save each other, fight together, and find causes in common (unless the characters are opposed enough that it would come to blows, then you need an out of character discussion on how you can gel things). If your character is a friendly kind of guy that would push trying to be friends, do that. Engage them in conversation, give them drinks, whatever. Or don't do that if you are also playing a more serious and reserved character. Roleplay your character as you like.

Just wanted to say I thought this was really good advice outlining what that trip should be like. It's true that 6 players will slow the story down a bit and the DM should get some technique to speed things along but if the group enjoys sharing the ride they should enjoy the campaign.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes, lifepaths are a mechanic by which you make a series of "Choose Your Own Adventure" choices (or you roll a result instead of choosing one), and each choice yields a certain stat increase or whatever for your character.

The reason they tend to work better than other character generation procedures is that they can give out discrete packages of character progression advances - they don't have to be concerned with being "balanced" or "equal", but at the same time the choices/results also tend to be mutually-exclusive against others, which prevents the thing from being or "munchkin'd".

Yeah I really like it, I'd start a campaign with that kind of thing if the players bought in. Thanks for the rundown, that really helps my old 1e mindset adjust to why this is a thing. It really is a bridge between the old "random is fun because simulationism is it's own reward" outlook balance with "the narrative of my character is more important than dying from your lovely adversarial DMing" that's developed in later editions. I bet it's done even better in other ttrpgs too.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The “Star Trek Adventures” rpg has a really cool lifepath character creation since the shows regularly pull in plot points from people’s prior assignments, where they grew up, time at the academy, etc.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AnEdgelord posted:

So has anyone picked up a copy of the Ravnica setting guide? Im curious to see whats in it and if its actually worthwhile.

It's cool so far? I'd imagine "worth" is based on how much you want to play the setting.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
If you really want to roll some dice for stats then my recommendation is to do 2D6 + 6

I feel that D&D has this weird problem of trying to model anything that is supposed to have some randomness or variance 100% with dice rolls and no constants or other math, which leads to systems that grow increasingly complicated as they try to minimize the impact of outliers.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I'd be 100% behind "These classes get a better point buy", but that would require openly acknowledging that some classes are inherently less usable than others.

The Saddest Robot posted:

If you really want to roll some dice for stats then my recommendation is to do 2D6 + 6

I feel that D&D has this weird problem of trying to model anything that is supposed to have some randomness or variance 100% with dice rolls and no constants or other math, which leads to systems that grow increasingly complicated as they try to minimize the impact of outliers.

C'mon, man, you're literally called the Saddest Robot, now I'm gonna feel down all day about a math-sad computer.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

lightrook posted:

I know it's technically MtG-themed, but have you looked at the Vampire player races from Plane Shift: Zendikar and Ixalan? I guess that's the compromise between "being a full vampire in name" and "being balanced as a player race."

I haven't, but I will check it out, and maybe do this instead.

But, I mapped out the rest of my levels here, I thought about it and don't want to abandon my bard stuff, especially in my crew where no one else has any magic or any charisma. I dunno it all still feels OP to me but it's a pretty OP party.

I'd post it but it is a lot of lines of text.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I'd be 100% behind "These classes get a better point buy", but that would require openly acknowledging that some classes are inherently less usable than others.

The key part is that (theoretically) they're only less usable unless they have better stats. This is only a problem if you buy into the idea that all classes must be equally good given the same amount of stat points. But there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea that a Barbarian is Strong and Tough and Quick and Wise while a wizard gets away with being Just Smart.

There's nothing wrong with the idea that character generation could merge ability generation and class selection so (eg, numbers pulled out of my rear end) everyone gets 10 ability points to spend but the barbarian starts at 14 14 14 8 10 12 and the wizard starts at 8 8 10 14 10 8.

Older D&D effectively did this kind of thing, it just worked backwards so unless you randomly rolled the minimum required stats for (eg) Barbarian, you weren't allowed to be one. Then the 2e Complete books for the classes with those requirements basically say "here are a bunch of arrays for the class. Roll to see which one you use or even just pick".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 21, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Of course, multiclassing ruins everything.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

Of course, multiclassing ruins everything.

This would only be true if you used a lazy, stupid implementation of multiclassing where the rules were along the lines of "just pick whatever class you like whenever you level up".

Oh.

Right.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Man, a lot of these problems either would not exist or at least be easier to handle if these things weren't.. tied to... ability scores well poo poo here we are again.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

AlphaDog posted:

This would only be true if you used a lazy, stupid implementation of multiclassing where the rules were along the lines of "just pick whatever class you like whenever you level up".

Oh.

Right.

Subclasses would have been an excellent way to handle multiclassing

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
~in a world without 3.x style multiclassing~

A class's low level features are the features that class needs at low levels

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Wrestlepig posted:

Subclasses would have been an excellent way to handle multiclassing

I'm pretty sure that was one of the original ideas. You can still see some of the framework in things like Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Alternate fix. For every class that has more than one obvious primary stat and at least two secondary attributes it desperately needs, choose one secondary stat and consolidate all the rest to it. So for naked barbarian you need Strength and Constitution. Anything that used to say Dexterity or Wisdom or whatever the drat hell now says Constitution. Now that no class requires more than two stats MAD is over with. Donezo. Oh and hey does it fix multiclassing? A little. Pick a class that has a primary or secondary that matches your current ones. If you wanna play a Int-Str-Wis-Cha class, up yours those weren't supposed to be good in the first place. But hell you could let players pick what their secondary stat is to accommodate future multiclassing!

theironjef fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 22, 2018

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Just checking in with a quick question: cantrips scale off character level and not class level right?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Terratina posted:

Just checking in with a quick question: cantrips scale off character level and not class level right?

Yup!

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Anywhere this is explictly spelt out on the book?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
The Multiclassing section, looks like. Which makes sense I suppose, since it's the only time you'd worry about that.

"If a cantrip of yours increases in power at higher levels, the increase is based on your character level, not your level in a particular class."

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Cantrips aside, do any spells care about class level? It's usually slot level, right?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I believe Warlock spell slots scale to the highest warlock level.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

AlphaDog posted:

Cantrips aside, do any spells care about class level? It's usually slot level, right?

Polymorph and True Polymorph.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

AlphaDog posted:

Probably because there's not 3 paragraphs of "the perspicacious DUNGEON MASTERTM will obviously comprehend that to devise a verisimilitudinous milieu, it is incontestably of unconditional paramountcy that..." to explain that water flows downhill.
Why do you want future DnD to be full of inarticulate GRE-fail-people? :mad:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Conspiratiorist posted:

Polymorph and True Polymorph.
I think that's still character level, no?

Lots of spells care about your casting stat which is sorta but not really a proxy for caster level.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, (True) Polymorph is still character level. It's just the target's, not the caster's, which is what makes those weird.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FRINGE posted:

I'd love a modern game written like ad&d, but for ease of use and reference it'd be good to also present the rules in technical language in a sidebar. And have good indexing and cross referencing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

AnEdgelord posted:

It’s really good if you want to commit to the setting. Looking up associated Magic cards will give you a lot of inspiration.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

FRINGE posted:

Because D&D is a literal children's toy.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Pretty sure FRINGE was just joking. That said, there is a daft charm to Gygax's writing, I have to admit.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Pretty sure FRINGE was just joking. That said, there is a daft charm to Gygax's writing, I have to admit.

What a great moment to notice this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEHAgaAYXEg

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm only about a half dozen sessions into my first D&D Next and there are still a few things I'm trying to figure out...

Realistically is there any reason to carry a longbow around as opposed to a crossbow? It seems the range on longbows is 150ft/600ft. all of our combat happens on a battlemat.

I'm playing as a rogue so my options for ranged attack are either thrown dagger or some kind of bow. Am I wrong to think a longbow is incredibly situational wheras a small crossbow or hand crossbow could actually be used in most dungeons?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

MMD3 posted:

I'm playing as a rogue so my options for ranged attack are either thrown dagger or some kind of bow. Am I wrong to think a longbow is incredibly situational wheras a small crossbow or hand crossbow could actually be used in most dungeons?

Hand crossbow is very much a rogue weapon. It leaves a free hand for ... lots of things. I don't see the advantage of a 2 handed crossbow over a bow unless you get into specialized feats. For dungeon crawls, I prefer daggers because I can use them in melee or throw them or drop them to free my hands without worrying too much about the cost.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You can't attack multiple times in a turn with a crossbow due to the loading property. Rogues never get extra attack though, so yeah there's no reason not to go crossbow.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Splicer posted:

Rogues never get extra attack though, so yeah there's no reason not to go crossbow.

You can actually get an extra attack if you dual wield.

Basic Rules posted:

Two-Weapon Fighting

When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.

If either weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon, instead of making a melee attack with it.

This is another reason I prefer daggers. If you miss with your main attack, you can use your sneak attack damage with your off-hand attack (assuming that one hits).

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

nelson posted:

This is another reason I prefer daggers. If you miss with your main attack, you can use your sneak attack damage with your off-hand attack (assuming that one hits).

and do magical daggers still return to your hand automatically? or do you need to be carrying around multiple daggers and then picking them up post-combat?

I think I'm going swashbuckler w/ a rapier as my primary weapon for this game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

nelson posted:

I meant extra attack the class feature, not extra attack as in an extra attack. If you're dual wielding crossbows the loading property won't prevent your second attack because it's with the second, still loaded crossbow. However now you have no empty hands to reload with so next turn might be a bit of a problem, unless you take crossbow expert.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MMD3 posted:

and do magical daggers still return to your hand automatically?

this was only a rule in 4e, and does not happen unless otherwise specified

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Splicer posted:

I meant extra attack the class feature, not extra attack as in an extra attack. If you're dual wielding crossbows the loading property won't prevent your second attack because it's with the second, still loaded crossbow. However now you have no empty hands to reload with so next turn might be a bit of a problem, unless you take crossbow expert.

Crossbow Expert lets you ignore the Loading property, but needing a free hand to reload is part of the Ammunition rule.

Dual-wielding Hand Crossbows just doesn't work, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Anybody here know how a player character would make constructs, like Shield Guardians? Picking up the game for the first time in a while and I noticed there are a bunch of monsters that basically say "wizards make them" without telling me how wizards can make them.