Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Managed to snag a win in the pop up tourney. Turrets are preeeetttty good! Came down to me and the last guy as the circle was moving and he hosed up his last rocket and couldn't do anything as I just laid into him. I thought they'd be a total meme item but when you get down to these final fights they're a godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Been a mixed bag for me. I fired a rocket at one guy in one, had no effect. Someone else fires at me when I'm in it, die instantly.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Saxophone posted:

So, how is the co-op mode these days? I really enjoyed the game before it went battle Royale, though I wasn't a fan of how absurdly RNG the weapons and heroes were. Still, with a personal fort and some defense modes and other stuff, I did genuinely like the general gameplay loop.

I'm mostly not interested in the battle Royale portion though.

It's doing the Halloween event again at the moment so chances at free 'rolls' of the event llamas from doing quests. You didn't say how long you've been gone but there's been huge strides made in friendliness even before this week's update. You earn gold from lots of quest and tokens from doing your dailies, the tokens can be used on two legendary pieces every week, one trap and one weapon, and the gold can be used on various things like legendary (or even mythic) heroes from a selection, extra vault space or other decent upgrades.

This last week they completely overhauled the way talents work, removing the gating based on questing. Now it's entirely based on your account level it seems and you have MUCH more freedom to choose the good stuff. I think (but I'm not totally sure) that the restrictions on raising the 'star quality' of your weapons, heroes, etc no longer need anything, but it'd make sense if it was gated behind which tier of content you're on.

This is what has replaced the 'talents' tree:

And this is what has replaced the old 'research' tree:

If you've been gone a very long time then it's also worth noting that weapon perks aren't randomized anymore, they're fairly set for what's available for what weapon, and you end up building the weapon as you like. I believe weapon traits start at grey and you level them up with various mission reward items, you can also swap out traits. Weapon customization looks a bit like this:

In short there's been huge quality of life strides made even in the past few months. If what was bothering you was the rarity of getting legendary or mythic heroes, then that's much more doable now, if it was the randomness of weapon perks that's also very much been resolved. The Halloween event will throw the candy currency at you for quest rewards, and you can get the character I've found the most useful for missions: The mummy version of the ninja character, via drops or even as a selected quest reward.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

On star quality you're still gated via storyline Shield Defense before you can upgrade to the next star. It'll tell you which mission you have to reach though, that's nice since you had manually look at the requirements on the previous skill tree system. You can also toggle your head gear on off on deployment.

marathon Stairmaster sesh fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 16, 2018

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I'm honestly a bit baffled by some of the changes Epic has made recently. The turret is intensely powerful, especially early game. I've had someone find one first thing in Risky and throw it down then gun down everyone else because it does so much damage and has unlimited ammo to shoot through your poo poo and any environmental cover you are also forced to cower behind. Unless you get lucky and get a sniper weapon first thing, and also get lucky and don't get shot while shooting them you have no response to it. I suggested to a friend that they could make it so turrets are only available from supply drops and vending machines so they become mid-late game only items but they would still be incredibly powerful. I expect this to be vaulted pretty quickly, or possibly limited to large-team battles where it's fun because it's a strategic objective to try and take and hold a turret for your team.

The change to pickaxe damage vs players also baffles me. It's made it so if you land on a roof with someone then you're better off hitting them with the axe because if you try to break through and get a gun they'll have hit you for 40-60 damage before you've picked it up, and they'll have a chance to go for the gun after weakening you as well. It just feels like the only smart choice is to try and axe the other person but that's not fun, and leads to one person surviving with 20 health unless you've managed to dodge axe hits.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Thanks for the info! I literally played for the first two more.ths or so and then haven't touched it since!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The pickaxe damage increase makes sense, and as far as the turret, anything that inconveniences cowardsbuilders/turtlers is good with me. The cooldown mechanic I think keeps it reasonable

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Cluncho McChunk posted:

The change to pickaxe damage vs players also baffles me. It's made it so if you land on a roof with someone then you're better off hitting them with the axe because if you try to break through and get a gun they'll have hit you for 40-60 damage before you've picked it up, and they'll have a chance to go for the gun after weakening you as well. It just feels like the only smart choice is to try and axe the other person but that's not fun, and leads to one person surviving with 20 health unless you've managed to dodge axe hits.

you know the pickaxe has a move speed penalty, right? If you just keep moving someone with a pickaxe will NEVER hit you. Getting hit with the pickaxe should be a penalty, since you really hosed up if you let it happen.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Melee actually being a potentially effective last ditch attack was one of the few things I wanted them to take from PUBG.

Also if you're landing on the same roof as somebody else at the start of the game, you've already made a poor choice IMO.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Melee actually being a potentially effective last ditch attack was one of the few things I wanted them to take from PUBG.

Also if you're landing on the same roof as somebody else at the start of the game, you've already made a poor choice IMO.

Do you took an oath of celibacy to never land in named locations?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Do you took an oath of celibacy to never land in named locations?

No? Land at all the hotspots you want, but complaining that melee is OP now because you can't land two feet next to somebody else without consequences is nonsense when all it means is the odds are slightly different than before, where whoever found a gun first (or more commonly nabbed it from the chest both of you were going for) won 99.9% of the time anyway.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Killed someone with the axe today who beat me to the gun but panicked while I clubbed them for an easy 5 hit kill.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I still can't get over how crappy of a deal that 30 dollar pack is. Yeah..I totally wanna spend 20 dollars for a skin that's just a reskin of another skin, plus an unimpressive backbling pick and glider. Only 10 dollars worth of vbucks too...

Weird considering how good of a deal those 5 dollar packs are.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Would anyone be down to play various BR squad stuffs sunday? Looking to mess around and have fun. I'll be in the serious overchill discord and the fortnite goons discord.

Also - I'm way behind on doing battlepass challenges so if anyone would like to help me on challenge-hunting that'd be rad.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 18, 2018

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Am I just missing something or does the six-shooter suck? I always feel like I'd rather just have a normal pistol than one in most circumstances.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Am I just missing something or does the six-shooter suck? I always feel like I'd rather just have a normal pistol than one in most circumstances.

Not really, they just suck indeed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Conspiracy theory:

Fortnite takes place on the Island of Sodor

I want to believe.jpg

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I still can't get over how crappy of a deal that 30 dollar pack is. Yeah..I totally wanna spend 20 dollars for a skin that's just a reskin of another skin, plus an unimpressive backbling pick and glider. Only 10 dollars worth of vbucks too...

Weird considering how good of a deal those 5 dollar packs are.

Most skins look like reskins to me. Handful of original ones, rest are meh. They could be doing so much more, with the money that they are bringing in.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

codo27 posted:

They could be doing so much more, with the money that they are bringing in.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It is a drat crime that this isnt a fortnite emote yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k3dvDlBQPQ&t=2s

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Now that they've done the NFL, they need to announce a partnership with the WWE and bring in Booker T's spinarooney, accompanied by his theme music. No other wrestling themed items should be released. The WWE should then fold due to being terrible

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v6-30-content-update

6.30 Content update
-Adds Dynamite to all modes (actually disabled now for crashing computers)
- Wild West LTM
Six shooter, pump, hunting rifle, dynamite only. No shields except mushrooms and slurp juices found in supply drops.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Noooo the dance LTM is gone. How will I finish these challenges now. :qq:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Disco domination is gone??

BRB deleting fortnite

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Really? That was abrupt. Usually they put something on it about it going away soon. Too many people using it as easy mode to complete challenges?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Could just be temporarily replaced by that duos pop-up cup.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

rocket launcher OP

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Food Fight works pretty well for those same challenges. Check it out!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh rad, I guess research on the captured rift is complete because now all of the underground bunkers in Wailing Woods are linked via teleporters.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Yup and that captured rift can be used infinite(?) times. Never disappears. Hopefully we get robo-rift labs around the outsides of the map next season.

e: I take that back, I want trains in Fortnite for season 7.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I downloaded the game earlier today and it would be a lot more fun if people fought instead of making their stupid structures that'll be gone in 7 minutes

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

As someone too lazy to get good at building, it’s pretty funny watching someone start building and I’ll just wait it out and shoot them after they peak out.

:shrug:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got lucky the other night, got into the last 3, rift-to-go over to one of the last guys who had already built up, (barely) take him out. Already on high ground so the last guy starts building towards me, but from a distance. So he builds up a few ramps, then a bridge over nothing and he still wasn't close to my hill. Couldn't have hit him more than twice with the scar when it went to slow motion, so he must have already been crippled. 4 wins in 1077 games or something! #profesh

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Low Desert Punk posted:

I downloaded the game earlier today and it would be a lot more fun if people fought instead of making their stupid structures that'll be gone in 7 minutes

The purpose of the structures isn't to last the duration of the game round, it's to deflect and absorb opponent gunfire and gain the high ground advantage. Getting the high ground isn't just a meme, it's hella effective. Embrace building and use it as part of a strategy to defeat your opponent, because otherwise they will outbuild you and win.

I'm currently struggling to counter the inevitable build battle. I don't move fast enough and tend to get boxed in, or hit the wrong button and build the wrong piece in the right place, throwing the next needed move out the window.

But knowing how to build is only half the battle. Knowing when not to is also important:

codo27 posted:

Already on high ground so the last guy starts building towards me, but from a distance. So he builds up a few ramps, then a bridge over nothing and he still wasn't close to my hill. Couldn't have hit him more than twice with the scar when it went to slow motion, so he must have already been crippled.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 22, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

God drat, just threw solo squad win so hard by trying out dynamite instead of having the usual SMG in the first weapon slot. Threw a dyno with full fuse into a point blank enemy shotgunning me. They had 70 eHP. :smith:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

McGlockenshire posted:

The purpose of the structures isn't to last the duration of the game round, it's to deflect and absorb opponent gunfire and gain the high ground advantage. Getting the high ground isn't just a meme, it's hella effective. Embrace building and use it as part of a strategy to defeat your opponent, because otherwise they will outbuild you and win.

yeah sure I get that, I'm talking about the people that sit and build their giant forts like its minecraft and don't actually play the game

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

McGlockenshire posted:

But knowing how to build is only half the battle. Knowing when not to is also important:

I always laugh when I spectate a finalist and they spend more time out-building themselves by making GBS threads out all the usual stuff and then box themselves into the storm or over a deadly drop.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

yeah sure I get that, I'm talking about the people that sit and build their giant forts like its minecraft and don't actually play the game

Eh, if you're trying to win then you gotta know what your advantages are. Maybe that guy had a sniper rifle and lots of mats so felt no need to move until the game forced him to do so. Why take a risk you don't have to if you're playing to win and not just get in fights?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Felt like I must have been killed by an obvious hacker last night, shots seemed to be coming from nowhere. It was a Streamer[xxx]. Couldn't spectate after I died, and I couldn't report either. Whats up with that?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

codo27 posted:

Felt like I must have been killed by an obvious hacker last night, shots seemed to be coming from nowhere. It was a Streamer[xxx]. Couldn't spectate after I died, and I couldn't report either. Whats up with that?

Could you see anything in the replay? Maybe you can report from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Turret is such a bad gently caress addition, holy poo poo.