Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I liked the style of the recent games, especially for the latter Geneforge games and second Avernum trilogy. Though to be honest, it’s hard to tell how much of that was me enjoying the overall awesome setting versus the icons themselves.

Regardless of the graphical style, I’m psyched for the overall game of Queen’s Wish. The more I read updates, the more it interests me. I would have bought and tried the game anyways, but it definitely is grabbing my attention more than the pre-release stuff about any of the Avadon games or Avernum X: This Time With Subtitled Names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm glad I've earned your respect, and I mean that sincerely. So please believe me when I say I'm not attacking your prefererences. You are free to like what you like, and I wasn't judging you, though I can readily see how my post could have been read that way. I was pointing out the specific things I find objectionable about the art style and inviting you to present counter-arguments.

Fair enough; let there be peace between our two peoples.

To summarise, I agree that Avernum 6-9 (essentially) have very poor animation, but I find the sprites attractive and I enjoy the broad palette of high-contrast colours. I went and looked at some still screens of those Avernum games next to these new ones and I just find the new ones very drab and matte. The animation may well be vastly superior, given that it's not a high bar to clear, but as it stands I'm just not chuffed about the art style of the Queen's Wish. That said, art isn't everything in gaming and I'm confident that it will be at worst a pretty good game, at best bloody brilliant.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also you totally can still play Realmz! It's bizarrely still available online and they released all the codes for the first party scenarios and whatnot awhile back. It's...it's definitely still the same game it was back then, hahaha.

As I recall, my issue wasn't with getting the game / scenarios, but with the whole shareware/registration process. I'm pretty sure that when I bought the game the first time around, I either didn't have email, or it was an @aol.com address, which I certainly don't have access to any more! As far as I can tell, the devs aren't answering their emails either.

I'm reading the City of Bywater hintbook now, and man...that sure was a scenario that was just a bunch of disjointed encounters, fights, and random treasure, wasn't it? Like, there were bits and pieces of stories there if you went to the work of assembling them, but no effort was made to make sure you encountered things in any reasonable order, and I don't remember there being any kind of conclusion either. It was pretty obviously the scenario they used to debug adding new features and functionality to the game engine.

I remember really enjoying the Destroy the Necronomicon scenario though. Who doesn't want to enter an interdimensional pyramid, travel to Hell, and befriend the Good-aligned gryphon riders there? Plus it had overpowered magical artifacts just kind of chilling out in little corners of the map.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

As I recall, my issue wasn't with getting the game / scenarios, but with the whole shareware/registration process. I'm pretty sure that when I bought the game the first time around, I either didn't have email, or it was an @aol.com address, which I certainly don't have access to any more! As far as I can tell, the devs aren't answering their emails either.

Oh, it's all posted freely online now. I mean, in weird places, because it was all posted freely online, like, 8 years ago, so it's in the Realmz GameFAQs forums (not kidding), but yeah, you can download the demo and then just use the public codes to unlock the whole game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

Oh, it's all posted freely online now. I mean, in weird places, because it was all posted freely online, like, 8 years ago, so it's in the Realmz GameFAQs forums (not kidding), but yeah, you can download the demo and then just use the public codes to unlock the whole game.
Did they ever update the windows version to be the same version as the mac version?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ProfessorCirno posted:

Do you have a link? Not three weeks ago I was looking at Realmz and rather wishing that I could play it in this day and age.

Zereth posted:

Did they ever update the windows version to be the same version as the mac version?

I don't think so, but I hope that I am wrong.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

JustJeff88 posted:

Do you have a link? Not three weeks ago I was looking at Realmz and rather wishing that I could play it in this day and age.

Sure, I'm pretty sure this doesn't count as :filez: It is at the very least abandoned as gently caress, far as I know.

First grab the demo here, then follow the instructions and use the codes here You'll have to first use 410 to reset your game's serial number to the one listed there, then register. There's codes for all the first party scenarios there, too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

Sure, I'm pretty sure this doesn't count as :filez: It is at the very least abandoned as gently caress, far as I know.

First grab the demo here, then follow the instructions and use the codes here You'll have to first use 410 to reset your game's serial number to the one listed there, then register. There's codes for all the first party scenarios there, too.
Oh hey the download page even seems to indicate that the mac and windows versions are on the same version number. Nice. :toot:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ProfessorCirno posted:

Thank you kindly

Zereth posted:

Oh hey the download page even seems to indicate that the mac and windows versions are on the same version number. Nice. :toot:

Hooray! I love it when I'm wrong, because I always assume that everything is shite.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The most recent Queen's Wish update has me legit excited. I hadn't realized how much I'd disliked the Poser models and stiff animation of Vogel's last dozen games until I saw this screenshot. I honestly think this is a substantially superior art style to trying to do 3D when you just don't have the resources or expertise to make good 3D.
I don't have an opinion about the character sprites, but those loving recycled item sprites...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It looked like a book 20 years ago, and it still looks like a book today! :pseudo:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Yep, That's Meat!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh lord I'd forgotten about all this crap.

Look at all these skills! I'm pretty sure most of them get checked, like, twice per scenario! I think "DRV" means "Damage Resistance Versus", and I'm kind of sorry I remember that.

Gotta pick your race! And the game won't let you make, like, a pixie crusader -- the race is there, you're just not allowed to select it. Ahh, old-school fantasy racism. Also, see that "View Aging" button down there?

Every race has their own aging chart! Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if every race has its own stat progression as they age, too! Careful you don't go senile as a dwarf though.

And then, of course, you have to roll your stats. I should have kept this set, it's pretty good, but like a sucker I hit "reroll" and everything since then has been total garbage.

EDIT: made a party more or less at random, the very first encounter in Bywater was the town brothel. I broke into a bunch of the rooms, startled a dwarf, he ganked my priest then went "whoops, sorry about that, mind if I travel with you?" Then we went upstairs and got annihilated by a random encounter.

I'm gonna have to give some serious thought to LPing this, because there's way too much comedy potential going to waste here.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 23, 2018

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I used to download incredibly OP character packs and just run roughshod over the City of Bywater in Realmz. Good times, good times.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
All this is inspiring me to go through it again myself! Rolling with a vaguely super strong team: Human Crusader, Lizardman Fighter, Dwarf Cleric, Kobold Monk, Cathoon Archer, and Vampire Evoker.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm just posting this stuff here for posterity. These games were apparently released as freeware according to wikipedia so I'm not terribly concerned about it:

code:
Some people told me they couldn't find the registration codes anywhere else, so I'll put them here :
Mac :

Serial number : 13706024 Registration Code : 8566464 Verification Code : 410
1) Your scenario registration name is: MEIERS
2) Your registration number for Prelude to Pestilence is: 1632120

Realmz Castle in the Clouds Name : Name: MoonDark s/n: 181560444
Realmz Assault on Giant Mountain : Name: MoonDark s/n: 403273572
Realmz Mithril Vault : Name: RABREAUS s/n: 3249720

Windows :

Serial Number : 13706024
Registration Code : 7995820
Reset Serial Number Code : 410
Registration Name : : MEIERS

Prelude to Pestilence : 2846681
Assault on Giant Mountain : 2731903
Castle in the Clouds : 1850227
Destroy the Necronomicon : 300754
White Dragon : 302208
Grilochs Revenge : 687525
Trouble in the Sword Lands : 1533542
Mithril Vault : 162011
I realize that this is the Spiderweb thread, but there's a connection...

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
All of Spiderweb's stuff on GOG is 30-75% off.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Oh lord I'd forgotten about all this crap.

Look at all these skills! I'm pretty sure most of them get checked, like, twice per scenario! I think "DRV" means "Damage Resistance Versus", and I'm kind of sorry I remember that.

Does anyone know what that font was called? It showed up in a bunch of other old VGA fantasy games, like Warlords II, and I love the poo poo out of it.

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

Tendales posted:

Does anyone know what that font was called? It showed up in a bunch of other old VGA fantasy games, like Warlords II, and I love the poo poo out of it.

I think that font is called Theldrow. That's what it's called in the acknowledgements to Realmz, anyways.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
So, uh, should I buy Grimoire while it's on sale? Apparently it's "V2" now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

szary posted:

I would say that it's worth $10 while on this sale, but I'm the dumbfuck who paid $35 for it.

You would be perfectly in your right to mock me for that.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Thanks for answering, even though I posted in the wrong thread!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

szary posted:

"Old-school" RPGs are experiencing a fairly major revival over the last few years, so you don't really need to give money to a psychotic racist.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Xander77 posted:

"Old-school" RPGs are experiencing a fairly major revival over the last few years, so you don't really need to give money to a psychotic racist.

I'm giving money to psychotic racists by paying my taxes, funding Cleve's bunker lifestyle seems relatively benign in comparison.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

szary posted:

I'm giving money to psychotic racists by paying my taxes, funding Cleve's bunker lifestyle seems relatively benign in comparison.

I can't argue with this. Most of the word are essentially run by fascist regimes these days and there's no ethical consumption under capitalism anyway, so a twat like Cleve who's at leat powerless is kind of small potatoes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think Spiderweb's defining graphical triumph was the green slime GUI that took up like half the screen in the original Geneforge.

ProfessorCirno posted:

It was but a joke based on how that screenshot looks and their shared history v:shobon:v

I'm not really sold on the art style in that screenshot, but then it also took me quite awhile to get over the Avernum/Geneforge style too.

Also you totally can still play Realmz! It's bizarrely still available online and they released all the codes for the first party scenarios and whatnot awhile back. It's...it's definitely still the same game it was back then, hahaha.

The codes are surprisingly difficult to track down, I ended up just downloading a crack when I wanted to play it a year or so back.

e: welp looks like they're also posted on this page.

EDIT: made a party more or less at random, the very first encounter in Bywater was the town brothel. I broke into a bunch of the rooms, startled a dwarf, he ganked my priest then went "whoops, sorry about that, mind if I travel with you?" Then we went upstairs and got annihilated by a random encounter.

I'm gonna have to give some serious thought to LPing this, because there's way too much comedy potential going to waste here.

One of the things I remember from playing Realmz as a 6 year old was how every major town had a brothel, which I thought was a soup restaurant.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 1, 2019

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

One of the things I remember from playing Realmz as a 6 year old was how every major town had a brothel, which I thought was a soup restaurant.

lmao

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Mmm, hot brothel soup.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Question about Avernum 3... I'm in the Filth Factory. I've set off the Phoenix Egg but now I'm trapped. The map indicates a "crack in the wall" which I guess is where I'm supposed to go but the flames are blocking my path. The teleporters in the corners don't get me there (one doesn't even work, presumably because its destination teleporter is engulfed by flames). Sadly both my quicksave and autosave are from after I set the egg off. Am I missing something or am I just hosed and have to redo the last hour?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
...I dimly recall that the escape from the Filth Factory surprised me in some manner. I think there's a certain specific map tile you have to step on to escape. I don't think there's any particular preparation you have to make before you set off the Egg, though, so if you have a save from just after you did that you should be able to get out.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Ehh I think I'm just screwed. I missed the crack in the wall when I passed by the first time and took a teleporter instead which sent me someplace else and basically wasted enough time for the flames to catch up. I guess I'm redoing this dungeon, for gently caress's sake.

edit: Now I'm here again and I was wrong, the crack was for the way in, not the way out. I'm going to explore more thoroughly before setting the egg off, I kind of rushed it last time.

edit2: Yeah I missed a staircase because I left some bits unexplored on the first go. It does confirm that I was indeed hosed in my previous save, though, so redoing it was necessary.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 3, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
https://twitter.com/spiderwebsoft/status/1097945644465942528

Spiderweb's got a 25th anniversary sale going on today.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wanderer posted:

https://twitter.com/spiderwebsoft/status/1097945644465942528

Spiderweb's got a 25th anniversary sale going on today.
Thanks, I was waiting on Avernum 3 and 50% off is a good excuse.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
On that note, not sure if it was said in thread, but even if so, deserves another mention:

https://twitter.com/spiderwebsoft/status/1097960812008767488

Geneforge remaster approaching :woop:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

On that note, not sure if it was said in thread, but even if so, deserves another mention:

he'll yeah

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

That rules I hope he adds content in the form of newspells and creatures. Obv I will buy regardess

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

:worship:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
What's the best spiderweb to start with

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I hope it is still colorful and not everything dull brown like the later Geneforge games. And the creatures actually have more than one attack.
Still one of my favorite games of his despite the overly simplistic combat. No real interest in the sequels though.
Though it's funny remaster until now meant new engine, but I thought all of his games since Geneforge 1 ran on slightly incrementally improved versions of the Geneforge 1 engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Impermanent posted:

What's the best spiderweb to start with

The newest remake of Avernum 1.