Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Honestly games with overarching time limits and some degree of focus on replay aren't particularly uncommon and removing them has p much always been to those games' detriment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

And Majora's time limit isn't really one unless you're going for all the quests, and even then you can just use the songs to set yourself back up if you fail.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
The problem I have with Majora’s is the busy work. I feel like it was a mistake to not be able to keep consumable items. The amount of times I’ve had to start a new cycle and and buy bombs or a loving powder keg is ridiculous.

Got the gold dust from the baby but couldn’t upgrade my sword of course because I beat Snowhead a little into day three. So I went back in time, beat Goht again to get the gold dust (and it takes forever to beat him in the 3d version. I don’t remember it taking as long in the n64 version). Had to buy another drat powder keg. Blow up the rock. Win that stupid, crappy race. Again. Get the gold dust. Again. Oh but you require the adult wallet to get the sword because he needs 100 rupees and not 99. So I got 150 rupees on two separate trips outside town. Got the wallet. Soared to the sword maker. Used song of time twice to get the sword.Got me a gilded sword.

I didn’t mind the repetition all those years ago but now find it to be something that makes the game more tedious. I simply do not understand what it would take away from the game if I could keep the gold dust, use song of time to go back, port to the sword maker and go from there. But nope, you have an extra step of tedium in MM that other games just don’t have. It’s not the time limit that’s bad because I addressed that to someone who finds it makes the game too stressful but the way the game treats repitition like it’s not a big deal. The fact that you can store rupees but not items is completely nonsensical. The worst part is that none of this is challenging. It’s just busy work filler.

I never realized how much of a sperg-y game MM was before.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dead Rising is proof that Capcom is capable of loving up basic gameplay mechanics.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Himuro posted:

The problem I have with Majora’s is the busy work. I feel like it was a mistake to not be able to keep consumable items. The amount of times I’ve had to start a new cycle and and buy bombs or a loving powder keg is ridiculous.

Got the gold dust from the baby but couldn’t upgrade my sword of course because I beat Snowhead a little into day three. So I went back in time, beat Goht again to get the gold dust (and it takes forever to beat him in the 3d version. I don’t remember it taking as long in the n64 version). Had to buy another drat powder keg. Blow up the rock. Win that stupid, crappy race. Again. Get the gold dust. Again. Oh but you require the adult wallet to get the sword because he needs 100 rupees and not 99. So I got 150 rupees on two separate trips outside town. Got the wallet. Soared to the sword maker. Used song of time twice to get the sword.Got me a gilded sword.

I didn’t mind the repetition all those years ago but now find it to be something that makes the game more tedious. I simply do not understand what it would take away from the game if I could keep the gold dust, use song of time to go back, port to the sword maker and go from there. But nope, you have an extra step of tedium in MM that other games just don’t have. It’s not the time limit that’s bad because I addressed that to someone who finds it makes the game too stressful but the way the game treats repitition like it’s not a big deal. The fact that you can store rupees but not items is completely nonsensical. The worst part is that none of this is challenging. It’s just busy work filler.

I never realized how much of a sperg-y game MM was before.

There are a few tricks you can do to drastically reduce the grind. You can get bombs, arrows, magic, etc by rolling around hyrule field as a Goron, and if you need cash, you get access to two silver rupees (so 200r total) in Clock Town as soon as you reset time. One is in the Stock Pot Inn area, you get to it by jumping across the signs over the minigame buildings to a walled alcove above the stairs leading down to the town square. One is behind a bombable wall in the waterway going towards the Astral Observatory.

You can reach a third once you get the Goron Mask, there's a silver rupee in the room you can steal from the Goron named Link. Plus you get access to one more once you have the hookshot (it's on one of the construction pillars in the town square). 400 should be way more than you need in a single cycle unless you're buying the All Night Mask.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 23, 2018

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

The White Dragon posted:

There are a few tricks you can do to drastically reduce the grind. You can get bombs, arrows, magic, etc by rolling around hyrule field as a Goron, and if you need cash, you get access to two silver rupees (so 200r total) in Clock Town as soon as you reset time. One is in the Stock Pot Inn area, you get to it by jumping across the signs over the minigame buildings to a walled alcove above the stairs leading down to the town square. One is behind a bombable wall in the waterway going towards the Astral Observatory.

You can reach a third once you get the Goron Mask, there's a silver rupee in the room you can steal from the Goron named Link. Plus you get access to one more once you have the hookshot (it's on one of the construction pillars in the town square). 400 should be way more than you need in a single cycle unless you're buying the All Night Mask.

I know all about the Goron method and it’s what I’ve been doing but it doesn’t change that I still have to do it. You can limit it but it’s still a flaw. And yeah, after the adult wallet fiasco I’ve used the silver rupee trick to just keep putting 200 rupees the bank and using Song of Time so they could respawn until I had 1000 rupees in the bank.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's pretty much my problem with MM, not the time limit (though that still sucks when you start something and realise you're not going to have time to finish halfway through) but that you start mostly from scratch each time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
losing consumable items never really bothered me in majora's mask since the only thing you need to go out of your way to get is the powder keg and you only need that for a few instances. every other item is given to you when you need it mostly

i never got into a situation where i needed to repeat a long series of steps though so idk

i definitely wouldn't call it starting from scratch because by and large the most important items in majora's mask are infinite use or tied to magic, not ammo or bombs

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 23, 2018

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I bought Mortal Kombat XL for $8 on the PSN sale. I've never been crazy about Mortal Kombat and while I enjoy fighting games I'll die a mid-tier scrub. But I like a fg with a lot of single player content and stuff to unlock and the story mode is way more developed than I was expecting.

I'm also I guess in the back half of Chapter 5 in RDR2 and man people were not exaggerating. I think I can give a charitable reading that would be similar to my take on FFXV but I'm getting the sense that "the good times are gone" earlier than I would have liked. It's not a great element in any game really, to say that you've gotten past or done all of the entertaining stuff, now endure the slog to the dour end.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I feel like RPGing Assassin’s Creed was a huge misstep. It’s way more annoying than fun

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did you get a pre-order bonus

I think the free pie ended up being the pre-order bonus :v:

Himuro posted:

Mmmm. Free pie.

You seem to have won Thanksgiving.

I dunno about that, it was still Denny's.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

I feel like RPGing Assassin’s Creed was a huge misstep. It’s way more annoying than fun

I super disagree so far

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Definitely. They just keep stepping further and further away from what once made the series somewhat cool and unique.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The RPG stuff is what makes Odyssey fun to me, it's hard for me to stick with an 80+ hour game if I can't influence the outcome in any way.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://meh.com/

Is this a decent tablet or is it basically trash? I know next to nothing about tablets.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

But what if instead they cut most of the bullshit time wasting stuff and made a shorter game focused on well designed assassination missions...

I realize this is crazy talk but it's my dream. I really need to figure out how to get into Hitman.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

But what if instead they cut most of the bullshit time wasting stuff and made a shorter game focused on well designed assassination missions...

I realize this is crazy talk but it's my dream. I really need to figure out how to get into Hitman.

AC has never had a well designed assassination mission

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If I stab a guy in the neck he should probably just die, not force me into an extra minute of melee combat

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The people behind Lord of the Rings: The Third Age should make the next AC game a turn-based RPG.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Regy Rusty posted:

AC has never been that kind of game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

AC has never had a well designed assassination mission

exquisite tea posted:

AC has never been that kind of game.

I disagree, I liked the first 3, even though by Brotherhood they were definitely trending in the other direction.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

https://meh.com/

Is this a decent tablet or is it basically trash? I know next to nothing about tablets.

It's decent. Definitely not trash. My friend has a Fire that they use for everything, which is mainly internet browsing and reading pdfs of tabletop game books. It looks like Amazon has them on sale for the same price if you want to mosey on over there and check out the stats and reviews and whatever.

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Tablet-Hands-Free-Alexa-Display/dp/B0794RHPZD?th=1

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I disagree, I liked the first 3, even though by Brotherhood they were definitely trending in the other direction.

The first three definitely did not have well designed assassination missions. That was never the focus of those games (except maybe possibly the first one but it was poo poo at it).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

The first three definitely did not have well designed assassination missions.

That was never the focus of those games (except maybe possibly the first one but it was poo poo at it).

Well you can state that as a fact but I think they did.

Like I am saying the kind of missions they had in the first 3 games are what I wanted to continue to see in the series. If you don't like them that's one thing but saying "nuh uh" isn't gonna change my mind.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Well you can state that as a fact but I think they did.

Do you have an example of a good one because the assassination design in the early games was mostly dead simple "walk up to a dude and press the murder button" stuff? Like nothing those games is even a fraction as in depth as anything in hitman.

edit:

quote:

Like I am saying the kind of missions they had in the first 3 games are what I wanted to continue to see in the series. If you don't like them that's one thing but saying "nuh uh" isn't gonna change my mind.

I think it was just the Hitman comparison throwing me off. The mission design in the early games might have been different but it was never anything like Hitman.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 23, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Fair enough. For me personally I'd say what Assassin's Creed offers now is more intriguing, because I love the traditional Bioware RPG format and they have totally screwed the pooch for the last 5 years. If you want a big single-player wRPG with branching narratives and a selectable protagonist, well there haven't been a whole lot of decent ones made since TW3, none with that exact criteria in fact. There have been plenty of games with stealthy combat made in that same timeframe however, and to me AC never did those elements particularly well, so I like the direction they've taken with the series and hope there's more to come!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I always wanted Assassin’s Creed to be Hitman-esque but in a big open world and they’ve never delivered.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

Do you have an example of a good one because the assassination design in the early games was mostly dead simple "walk up to a dude and press the murder button" stuff?

Like nothing those games is even a fraction as in depth as anything in hitman.

I think it was just the Hitman comparison throwing it off. The mission design in the early games might have been different but it was never anything that was like Hitman.

The main thing was killing the person and then getting away before everything descended into chaos. Doing that was optional, but it was almost always possible (there are exceptions like the stupid one in the first game that always turns into a full out chase) and I enjoyed making that my goal. But you're right that it's simple! I liked the simplicity that the goal was to get in, kill, get out as safely as possible.

And I wasn't making a comparison to Hitman, because Hitman's complexity is why I've had trouble getting into it. I want to like it because I think in many way's it's exactly what I want and does it better than Assassin's Creed ever could, but something about it is stressful for me so every time I've tried to play one I end up getting frustrated.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

what the heck, farming materials after a reset in majora's mask takes like 30 seconds.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I bought Horizon GOTY Edition 6 months ago and decided to start it yesterday. I've put 4 hours into it and it'd be the most 3 out of 5 game so far in a world where people used scores properly. The main story writing is pretty typical in Hollywood beats and has no other aspirations, the open world borrows heavily from Ubisoft and every game of its genre released in the last decade, the stealth combat is easily exploitable and follows a similar pattern to other stealth action games despite the enemies, there's light resource collecting and crafting and side missions where you follow footsteps for 5 minutes, the world is very pretty but ultimately feels artificial and doesn't have much in the way of player interaction. Saying it's bad would be stupid, but it's another a lot of money was spent on this and it's somewhat fun, I guess AAA experience. The backstory is interesting (I think some people in this thread liked it) and I'm interested in seeing where the main story goes, but I'll be surprised if I finish it. I'll probably get bored at some point and it'll join my endless pile of unfinished games.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I agree with most of that. Though I'd also add the writing in all the little collectables is genuinely pretty good and a lot more interesting than following the Chosen One solving everyone's problems.

And it's a very straight forward and easy platinum trophy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GUI posted:

I bought Horizon GOTY Edition 6 months ago and decided to start it yesterday. I've put 4 hours into it and it'd be the most 3 out of 5 game so far in a world where people used scores properly. The main story writing is pretty typical in Hollywood beats and has no other aspirations, the open world borrows heavily from Ubisoft and every game of its genre released in the last decade, the stealth combat is easily exploitable and follows a similar pattern to other stealth action games despite the enemies, there's light resource collecting and crafting and side missions where you follow footsteps for 5 minutes, the world is very pretty but ultimately feels artificial and doesn't have much in the way of player interaction. Saying it's bad would be stupid, but it's another a lot of money was spent on this and it's somewhat fun, I guess AAA experience. The backstory is interesting (I think some people in this thread liked it) and I'm interested in seeing where the main story goes, but I'll be surprised if I finish it. I'll probably get bored at some point and it'll join my endless pile of unfinished games.

Get passed meridian, the game opens up and you can go to all the biomes and buy the weapons you need to enjoy combat more. Hzd is like a 8 for me personally but its better than any of these asscreed games recently

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GUI posted:

That was pretty much my feeling on the game (except I''m maybe slightly more positive). It was reasonably fun but it didn't leave any kind of lasting impression on me and I never ended up finishing it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Phantasium posted:

what the heck, farming materials after a reset in majora's mask takes like 30 seconds.

That’s not the main crux of the complaint. You’ve never had to repeat entire sequences? I doubt that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The lorebuilding in Horizon is outstanding.

I'm not going to say it doesn't suck to basically just get to major junctions of the game and have to just stop and listen to audiologs but those are some good audiologs.

Actually that reminded me, the one annoying thing about that, is that the game seemed really intent on not putting the audiologs in order even when I'm going through a linear dungeon, kept making me think I missed one and spend longer than I would have retracing steps just because they weren't in order on a list.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Himuro posted:

That’s not the main crux of the complaint. You’ve never had to repeat entire sequences? I doubt that.

No, never.

Even in situations where you don't get a whole arm of the game done in a cycle, you can, say, get the song that unlocks the dungeon and the save statue near it, then reset the clock, and have an entire cycle to do the rest of it.

I forget to do things occasionally, but that's not the same as "didn't actually have time to finish it."

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Phantasium posted:

No, never.

Even in situations where you don't get a whole arm of the game done in a cycle, you can, say, get the song that unlocks the dungeon and the save statue near it, then reset the clock, and have an entire cycle to do the rest of it.

I forget to do things occasionally, but that's not the same as "didn't actually have time to finish it."

You’re still repeating it. You have to fight the boss again. In my scenario above I had to beat the boss, get the powder keg, do the race, do all sorts of crap because the game resets consumables.

It’s impossible to play Majora’s Mask without repeating content. In fact, you just admitted you repeat content.

It’s not an issue of having enough time. You always have enough time. It’s an issue of repetition. In fact don’t you have to do Anju and Kafei quest twice to get everything. And that’s the secret to MM. They hid content behind quests sometimes with offering different rewards after you finish the quest. You can’t get that bottle and the postman’s hat without doing that quest twice. And more than likely, you’re going to finish Snowhead too late to upgrade your sword to gilden, so you’re going to have to reset and do it all over again.

Busy work.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 23, 2018

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I thought Horizon: Zero Dawn’s story was actually extremely cool science fiction and I usually ignore the poo poo out of stories in games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Himuro posted:

You’re still repeating it. You have to fight the boss again. In my scenario above I had to beat the boss, get the powder keg, do the race, do all sorts of crap because the game resets consumables.

It’s impossible to play Majora’s Mask without repeating content. In fact, you just admitted you repeat content.

It’s not an issue of having enough time. You always have enough time. It’s an issue of repetition. In fact don’t you have to do Anju and Kafei quest twice to do it right?

what does that have to do with consumables? all i said was that it takes like 30 seconds to get arrows and poo poo back, because it sounded like people were saying this was some herculean task or something. the whole point of the game is it repeats, that doesn't mean you have to do everything every time.

i don't know what you mean by beat the boss again, all i was talking about was a first run and not having to do everything at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

The main thing was killing the person and then getting away before everything descended into chaos. Doing that was optional, but it was almost always possible (there are exceptions like the stupid one in the first game that always turns into a full out chase) and I enjoyed making that my goal. But you're right that it's simple! I liked the simplicity that the goal was to get in, kill, get out as safely as possible.

And I wasn't making a comparison to Hitman, because Hitman's complexity is why I've had trouble getting into it. I want to like it because I think in many way's it's exactly what I want and does it better than Assassin's Creed ever could, but something about it is stressful for me so every time I've tried to play one I end up getting frustrated.

Have you tried 2016/2 at all? They've got a lot of tools built in to guide new Hitman players to figuring out how to approach their frankly overwhelmingly dense levels. 2016 was the first one I ever played and after one or two runs with the tutorial overlays in the training missions, I was going into Paris with no HUD at all and absolutely loving every second the game since. You can probably get season 1 for dirt cheap these days too

• Locked thread