Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

axolotl farmer posted:

I wouldn't eat it, but if you wear sturdy gloves it can be good for smacking around pets and monsters with if you need decorative statues.
        /
  @

Mightier than the sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

empty sea posted:

I drank Thunderbird once, just out of curiosity. It was...very much like drinking pale yellow kerosene. I mean, I didn't really know what that tasted like until I drank Thunderbird. It was unpleasant af.

As a teen I did the Boone's Farm, the Mad Dog 20/20, Zimas, etc. Thunderbird wasn't the worst of the lot, though. I straight poured a bottle of blue raspberry Mad Dog down the drain because that stuff tasted like pure sugar poison.

Anyway, I've never had a proper martini and since I love olives, I think I'd like to drink a dirty one sometime.

I'm educating myself on wine by tasting a bunch of stuff. I've decided that I need to include flavored fortified wines in that just to be comprehensive.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
At a certain point old wine just means you were rich enough to buy a bunch of different wines, most of which didn't age well, leaving you with what dumb rich people assume is the cream of the wine or else gives you some sort of "connection" to the vintage year.

In other words old wine is expensive for being rare and not really for tasting better.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

zedprime posted:

At a certain point old wine just means you were rich enough to buy a bunch of different wines, most of which didn't age well, leaving you with what dumb rich people assume is the cream of the wine or else gives you some sort of "connection" to the vintage year.

In other words old wine is expensive for being rare and not really for tasting better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1cLcJ5_MZI

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I've gathered over the course of many posts that you run a better than average southern restaurant

I bow to your judgement in this matter, but will say that from my limited experience as a northerner transplanted into the south, there are a lot of sub-par preparations of okra (among other things) out there. I suppose I was speaking from mediocre okra experiences rather than their fluted pinnacle.

Mediokraty

There used to be a fried chicken place in town. Not only was the fried chicken amazing (the spicy moreso), but they single handedly taught me the joys of fried okra. That's right, JOYS, I said. Sadly, they closed and I have never tasted fried okra happiness the same way ever again.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Saw someone posting on another site about how they mix flavoured whey protein powder into cups of tea.

As a British person, I feel this is on a par with committing a war crime.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

And for smaller and younger families, there may not be a giant fridge and freezer to store 10 pounds of turkey carcass and all the side dish leftovers for the next three or four days. Or you’re working so you don’t have time to rip up the remnants to make soup and jelly and poo poo like a housewife.

Or you know, you send a load of leftovers home with the single dude relative...

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Saw someone posting on another site about how they mix flavoured whey protein powder into cups of tea.

As a British person, I feel this is on a par with committing a war crime.

I can sort of see it with a fruit or peppermint tea, but green or black tea is definitely casus belli.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Sweet As Sin posted:

It came from Facebook

Mushroom soup and fried chicken pie

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Samizdata posted:

Or you know, you send a load of leftovers home with the single dude relative...

Watching you slowly gain on the thread is cool, it's like a thriller

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Everything with olives is a crime

Not so much. The Mario "Hint of Garlic" snack packs are pretty good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just wonder what happens when they reach the present posts, will they slot into the conversation naturally? Disappear and start again when there's a backlog? Begin replying to future posts yet unposted?!?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

We should all be shouting "DON'T TAKE A SIP! IT'S A TRAP!"

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm educating myself on wine by tasting a bunch of stuff. I've decided that I need to include flavored fortified wines in that just to be comprehensive.

Is this like the thing where you ate Military Rations of All Nations?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Yup. :golfclap:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Why are you responding to posts from 200 pages ago

Getting caught up. And that means reading ALL the posts.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

I'm pretty sure I would remember knowing a microwaved-mayonnaise motherfucker like you.

Trillian posted:

When he catches up with the thread in two months he's gonna be zinged

Not so much. Refuting white rice sucking by calling someone, ahem, "microwaved-mayonnaise motherfucker" is rather weak.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

I'm here now.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

My ideal martini is just a glass full of green olives with gin poured in to fill the spaces between.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Yawgmoth posted:

My ideal martini is just a glass full of green olives with gin poured in to fill the spaces between.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

This is a legit ad that was shown to me today

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLdIMkZ7Mr0

Speaking of bananas and "tea"

Bohemian Cowabunga has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Nov 22, 2018

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

bike tory posted:

This is a legit ad that was shown to me today

Yes! We have foam bananas
We have foam bananas today

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I threw some green olives in my ice water today instead of some lime juice and it was super good. Briny deliciousness. Chew ice and olives at the same time. Livin my best life

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AlbieQuirky posted:

Is this like the thing where you ate Military Rations of All Nations?

...maybe.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Sweet As Sin posted:

It came from Facebook

Forgot to put what it was supposed to be. They claim it's banana nut bread

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Sweet As Sin posted:

Forgot to put what it was supposed to be. They claim it's banana nut bread

I see several issues with this claim

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
My bad, it was part of this post. It's a banana pie

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yeah, still looks like mushroom soup straight out of the can.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
No photos, but my mother is planning to bring in turkey leftovers to church for after-service hospitality. Specifically, she's planning for Javanese dinner. Rice, chopped chicken/turkey, chow mein noodles, chopped tomatoes, gravy, chopped celery/onion/green pepper, pineapple, cheddar cheese, almond slivers, and coconut flakes. Some of those things are pretty OK, but the combination all layered together probably qualifies as AFP.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
https://i.imgur.com/oWFharw.mp4

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:randno:

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I feel very uncomfortable that someone wanted that created enough to create it and animate it to the best of their ability.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Timmy_Rinck/status/1059653343134519296

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

My cousin posted something similar to this on Facebook, but the turkey's twerking it's way into the oven.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

M_Sinistrari posted:

My cousin posted something similar to this on Facebook, but the turkey's twerking it's way into the oven.

You mean the twerky?? :laugh:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dixville posted:

You mean the twerky?? :laugh:

:frogout:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

No photos, but my mother is planning to bring in turkey leftovers to church for after-service hospitality. Specifically, she's planning for Javanese dinner. Rice, chopped chicken/turkey, chow mein noodles, chopped tomatoes, gravy, chopped celery/onion/green pepper, pineapple, cheddar cheese, almond slivers, and coconut flakes. Some of those things are pretty OK, but the combination all layered together probably qualifies as AFP.

Jesus wept. So my mom isn't the only one that makes this absolute inhuman garbage. Many condolences. You're fine til you get to the fruit salad layer. And my mom covers it in 6 large blobs of canned whipped cream topped with maraschino cherries and green olives because the LSD she took in the 60's still whispers to her.

We're having it for brunch today. I'm so excited.

E: to be clear this is like a whole buffet thing. It's not like a casserole or whatever. You just get the bits and bobs that you want and make a garbage plate out of leftovers and random salads. But my mom gets a layer of everything and then whipped cream and poo poo. Lunatic.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Nov 23, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
wtf is canned whipped cream, you mean with the nozzle and all?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
What else would it be? Yeah the stuff in the can that you'd probably rather huff than eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

fizzymercy posted:

E: to be clear this is like a whole buffet thing. It's not like a casserole or whatever. You just get the bits and bobs that you want and make a garbage plate out of leftovers and random salads. But my mom gets a layer of everything and then whipped cream and poo poo. Lunatic.

'Javanese Dinner', eh? Takes more than a bit of tinned pineapple to scare me off, let's see what google turns up.

Edgar Allan Poe posted:

There are some secrets which do not permit themselves to be told. Men die nightly in their beds, wringing the hands of ghostly confessors, and looking them piteously in the eyes -- die with despair of heart and convulsion of throat, on account of the hideousness of mysteries which will not suffer themselves to be revealed. Now and then, alas, the conscience of man takes up a burthen so heavy in horror that it can be thrown down only into the grave.

"Be sure to take some of every item (even if you don't like the item) as it is necessary to produce the final taste."