Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Phantasium posted:

what does that have to do with consumables? all i said was that it takes like 30 seconds to get arrows and poo poo back, because it sounded like people were saying this was some herculean task or something. the whole point of the game is it repeats, that doesn't mean you have to do everything every time.

i don't know what you mean by beat the boss again, all i was talking about was a first run and not having to do everything at once.

It isn’t just consumables like bombs you lose. It’s also the content that’s in your bottle.

When you beat Snowhead Temple you can go to the Goron races. To unlock Goron races you have to blow up a rock with a powder keg. So you have to get the powder keg. Beating the races gets you gold dust. It comes in a bottle. Gold dust is used to make the gilden sword which doesn’t break at the forge. More than likely you will have beaten Snowhead on day three. It takes a day to make the gilden sword so after unlocking the forge you can’t use it because it’s on day three. So you have to reset. But resetting takes away your gold dust because it’s in a bottle. You can go to the forge and unlock it with fire arrows but you still need that gold dust. So you have to go back to the temple, step on the boss activator to beat the boss again which heals the area on day one. Which allows you access to the race so you can get gold dust again. Which means buying another keg and winning the race and doing poo poo over.

It’s badly designed and would be mitigated if you could keep the gold dust in your bottle even with a reset.

That’s the rub. And it’s impossible to play Majora’s Mask without running into a similar scenario at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

But what if instead they cut most of the bullshit time wasting stuff and made a shorter game focused on well designed assassination missions...

I realize this is crazy talk but it's my dream. I really need to figure out how to get into Hitman.

Have you been playing Dishonored? That comes closer to getting what you want.

codenameFANGIO posted:

I thought Horizon: Zero Dawn’s story was actually extremely cool science fiction and I usually ignore the poo poo out of stories in games.

Yeah it’s real good. Though I was playing during the 2016 election just after the 2017 inauguration and listening to people coming to terms with the fact they’d failed to prevent an utterly preventable catastrophe was a lot to bear.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 23, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Horizon has a legit great story but it seems pretty typical for the first few hours. When you leave the tribe though it changes considerably because your meeting new cultures, talking to tons of people and learning about what happened to the world.

I do really love that game though. In a typical year it would've been my goty but last year was insane so it won't but God drat it ruled

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like repeating content in MM bc it makes you realize how much better you get after doing something even one more extra time, playing games again but faster is fun

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also feeling pretty depressed by now because this Thanksgiving is really start to drive home that I'm pretty much the gently caress up of the family. Not in terms of people being mean but just in terms of how much more successful and fulfilled literally everyone else in my family seems to be

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

I like repeating content in MM bc it makes you realize how much better you get after doing something even one more extra time, playing games again but faster is fun

The problem is that this kind of only rewards spergs. I’ve beaten the game and I had completely forgotten about some things. Essentially you need to remember every limitation and every storyline and every possibility every run. I mean, it’s not an arcade game with stages.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Himuro posted:

It isn’t just consumables like bombs you lose. It’s also the content that’s in your bottle.

When you beat Snowhead Temple you can go to the Goron races. To unlock Goron races you have to blow up a rock with a powder keg. So you have to get the powder keg. Beating the races gets you gold dust. It comes in a bottle. Gold dust is used to make the gilden sword which doesn’t break at the forge. More than likely you will have beaten Snowhead on day three. It takes a day to make the gilden sword so after unlocking the forge you can’t use it because it’s on day three. So you have to reset. But resetting takes away your gold dust because it’s in a bottle. You can go to the forge and unlock it with fire arrows but you still need that gold dust. So you have to go back to the temple, step on the boss activator to beat the boss again which heals the area on day one. Which allows you access to the race so you can get gold dust again. Which means buying another keg and winning the race and doing poo poo over.

It’s badly designed and would be mitigated if you could keep the gold dust in your bottle even with a reset.

That’s the rub. And it’s impossible to play Majora’s Mask without running into a similar scenario at least once.

Then don't try to do the race at the end of a cycle if it's pointless?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

get infinite bombs with bomb mask. you can do it

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Phantasium posted:

Then don't try to do the race at the end of a cycle if it's pointless?

I had forgotten that it would be pointless. After all, I beat it in the wee hours of day three.

“Then don’t do this” is a bad game design defense.

Never mind that like I said, to get everything you must repeat content. See: Anju and Kafei.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Horizon Zero Dawn rules, it's like someone went into my childhood and scientifically extracted every single thing I thought was cool into one video game. I think everybody should have that experience at least once.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn rules, it's like someone went into my childhood and scientifically extracted every single thing I thought was cool into one video game. I think everybody should have that experience at least once.

That might be Resident Evil 4 for me

or Bloodborne

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Himuro posted:

The problem is that this kind of only rewards spergs. I’ve beaten the game and I had completely forgotten about some things. Essentially you need to remember every limitation and every storyline and every possibility every run. I mean, it’s not an arcade game with stages.

So? It probably takes like...ten minutes to get back to Goron races from a clean reset. It's not the end of the world really...hell I used to just roll around termina for a while bc I liked doing it

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

chumbler posted:

That's not how you spell Ghost Trick.

oh no I am sad about Missile again :(

also when is katamari switch Im getting antsy

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Himuro posted:

I don't see how learning more about characters and how their actions fit together over the course of three days is "for spergs". The game even gives a notebook that records who and when (and has blank spaces for events you haven't uncovered).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just woke up from a food coma and two hours later my left pinkie and ring finger are still tingly so I must be having a heart attack. Black folk don't mess around thanksgiving

Baked turkey
Smoked turkey
Smoked brisket
Roast beef
Cornbread stuffin (get that white bread poo poo outta here)
Salmon
Collard greens
Succotash
Shoofly pie

Beat Spyro 1, started Spyro 2, played a little Thimbleweed Park (why did I sleep on this game??), watching some divorce court about to go back to sleep for 20 hours

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Let's just all agree no one has ever enjoyed MM and it's a bad game so everyone can walk away happy.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think some people just have different mentalities about anything that could be considered grindy, even if it's brief. It's like how some people really can't stand how they changes the healing in Bloidborne and others don't care because like ten minutes of grinding every once in a while isn't a big deal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
MM can be made much more fun (albeit even more spergy) by figuring out which activities you can fit into the gaps between stages in others. Like, you saved the farm from the aliens, but it's probably 4AM now and the milk defending mission isn't until 5PM, so you can go do the dog race or some of the minigame shops in town or the witch mushrooms or the runup to the next dungeon or etc. You can give Link a really busy day without much downtime once you have a handle on the schedules.

Course, you can only really do this in replays or by spoiling yourself.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

For me I just don't like doing content I've already done and Majora's Mask asks you to do that a lot partly because aesthetics but mostly because the game would be 5 hours long if you didn't have to spend so much time testing new solutions then resetting to execute them. If Nintendo had more than a year to develop the game it probably would've been a lot friendlier.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

axelblaze posted:

I think some people just have different mentalities about anything that could be considered grindy, even if it's brief. It's like how some people really can't stand how they changes the healing in Bloidborne and others don't care because like ten minutes of grinding every once in a while isn't a big deal.

I was going to say Bloidborne is the version where you're against Zoidberg, but that's already sorta the case.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

People get really weird about nintendo's rare forays into making games that aren't rehashes huh.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

Have you tried 2016/2 at all? They've got a lot of tools built in to guide new Hitman players to figuring out how to approach their frankly overwhelmingly dense levels. 2016 was the first one I ever played and after one or two runs with the tutorial overlays in the training missions, I was going into Paris with no HUD at all and absolutely loving every second the game since. You can probably get season 1 for dirt cheap these days too

Yeah and I think it's my best shot at getting into it. I played it when they provided a few levels available for free back during the summer and really enjoyed the tutorial and first smaller mission, doing everything I could in them. The third one available though was Marrakesh and I got overwhelmed by the sheer size of the place and how many soldiers there were constantly guarding one of the targets. I did intend to go back and try again, but I didn't get around to it before the free trial period ended.

I should just bite the bullet and buy the full game and play the levels in order.

doingitwrong posted:

Have you been playing Dishonored? That comes closer to getting what you want.

Yep it totally is. I absolutely love Dishonored.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Motto posted:

People get really weird about nintendo's rare forays into making games that aren't rehashes huh.

Uhh are you referring to the game that reuses 90% of the assets from another game and was specifically designed to quickly follow up on a major success without the 4 year development time?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

al-azad posted:

Uhh are you referring to the game that reuses 90% of the assets from another game and was specifically designed to quickly follow up on a major success without the 4 year development time?

Yeah and it's a 10x better game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

More games should reuse assets, I don't know why it's considered "bad". Nobody complains when the same actor appears in different movies.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Motto posted:

A game that does new and weird stuff being divisive isn't exactly remarkable

In Training posted:

More games should reuse assets, I don't know why it's considered "bad". Nobody complains when the same actor appears in different movies.

Yeah it's a great way to save on costs and get something cool out faster.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RIP that skeleton from Rondo of Blood, from 1993 to 2010

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

axelblaze posted:

Also feeling pretty depressed by now because this Thanksgiving is really start to drive home that I'm pretty much the gently caress up of the family. Not in terms of people being mean but just in terms of how much more successful and fulfilled literally everyone else in my family seems to be

Sometimes I get the same way, but I remember that despite my failings, I still have people who care for me and enjoy my company.

And you have us spergs! Life is good, my dude.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

axelblaze posted:

I think that might have more to do with how well people can handle the combat in Bloidborne. If basic fights are a cakewalk then yeah you can waltz through grinding back up your healing items, but if even basic enemies are at least getting some hits in on you and some of the larger ones are actual threats, then it can take a lot longer to feel ready to take on a boss.

Phantasium posted:

RIP that skeleton from Rondo of Blood, from 1993 to 2010

Pour one out for Morrigan sprite.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Training posted:

It's not just reusing assets, it's reusing assets and ideas wholesale. Without the dungeons to build the content Majora's Mask has to take the between dungeon adventures and extend them beyond the breaking point. Gerudo stealth dungeon 2.0, unfair horse racing 2.0, extended trading sequence but entirely contained in a dungeon so it's just a lot of backtracking 2.0, lost woods swamp 2.0 but you have to do it more than once if you want access to the item they offer.

Majora's Mask was an intentional rehash. The 3 day time limit was self admitted by Miyamoto and the developers to be a workaround to extend the gameplay in a game that is pretty thin. Wind Waker and its triforce hunt was the same thing but there was nothing clever in that so no one mentioned it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

It's decent. Definitely not trash. My friend has a Fire that they use for everything, which is mainly internet browsing and reading pdfs of tabletop game books. It looks like Amazon has them on sale for the same price if you want to mosey on over there and check out the stats and reviews and whatever.

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Tablet-Hands-Free-Alexa-Display/dp/B0794RHPZD?th=1

The meh one is $50 for a 32 gig versus the amazon page which has the 32 gig for $80 so it's definitely the better deal of the two but now I'm suddenly thinking "wait, what would I use a tablet for" because like...

I know tablets are useful but I can't actually think of anything I'd do with one.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

FirstAidKite posted:

The meh one is $50 for a 32 gig versus the amazon page which has the 32 gig for $80 so it's definitely the better deal of the two but now I'm suddenly thinking "wait, what would I use a tablet for" because like...

I know tablets are useful but I can't actually think of anything I'd do with one.

So meh is offering both he 16GB and the 32GB tablets for the same price? It doesn't go up to $79 once you click Buy It and select the 32GB option? I mean, that's a pretty good deal. At home I use my aging iPad mini for just about everything. My laptop sits untouched until I want to play a game or I need to make something. Mostly it's an internet machine but having an internet machine that's super thin and light is a lot more preferable to a laptop which is big, hot, takes up my whole lap, is less convenient to take from room to room or even outside of the house like whenever I've needed to stay overnight at a hospital. They're also fun for doodling on or sketching out things.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

In Training posted:

Yeah and it's a 10x better game

Now you're just trolling.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

So meh is offering both he 16GB and the 32GB tablets for the same price? It doesn't go up to $79 once you click Buy It and select the 32GB option? I mean, that's a pretty good deal. At home I use my aging iPad mini for just about everything. My laptop sits untouched until I want to play a game or I need to make something. Mostly it's an internet machine but having an internet machine that's super thin and light is a lot more preferable to a laptop which is big, hot, takes up my whole lap, is less convenient to take from room to room or even outside of the house like whenever I've needed to stay overnight at a hospital. They're also fun for doodling on or sketching out things.

Yeah, the pic they used mentions 32 or 16 but the actual listed specs only include the 32 gig option.

I looked up some reviews and KCB's laptop is definitely on the out (it doesn't keep powered unless it's plugged in and we can hear jangling inside of the laptop) so maybe a tablet would be a nice alternative for a while. Plus she wouldn't have to deal with our cats walking on the tablet's keyboard when we eventually get one

Thank you for the info!! Gonna definitely order the meh one :)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Now you're just trolling.

Yeah, Majora is at least 20x better than OOT

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FirstAidKite posted:

Plus she wouldn't have to deal with our cats walking on the tablet's keyboard when we eventually get one

Your cats will absolutely hack into your tablet

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Well yeah, they're always gonna do that, but now we can be madder when they do because there'll be more space for them to walk around the tablet and they'll still walk over it or on whatever keypad thing we get for it :v:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

J.A.B.C. posted:

Sometimes I get the same way, but I remember that despite my failings, I still have people who care for me and enjoy my company.

And you have us spergs! Life is good, my dude.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Still feeling kinda poo poo but I'm reletively keeping it together

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If my back wasn't so sore I would be throwing things at the people disparaging Majora's Mask.

Y'all are getting off easy today...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I still haven't played Majora :blush:

• Locked thread