Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

BigDave posted:

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1065583433978531841?s=09

Ok who took the last piece of pie and made Daddy Trump mad?

"We want the Constitution as written!"

The Constitution as written posted:

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

What the gently caress is it with him and those steam catapults? It's one very specific thing he's brought up multiple times (that he still doesn't understand the first, most basic thing about).

"BUT HER EMALS!", we've been though this. :v:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It strange how King5 News, which covers the fairly liberal cities Seattle and Tacoma, has almost exclusively whiny conservatives posting in the comments. Whining about literally everything. Rise in graduation rates in Seattle schools? Nope, not good, must be teachers forced to pass "diverse and ethnic" students.

Most of the comments are from the yokels in Eastern Washington or Seattle and Tacoma natives that now live in some cesspool in the South.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Comment sections in news stories was there greatest mistake next to creating the internet in the first place

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

mods changed my name posted:

get this, it's because he think's he's smart when he brings it up

Russians don’t want us to have them

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

LingcodKilla posted:

Russians don’t want us to have them

Carriers? Makes sense since theirs lost to a dry dock

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Carriers? Makes sense since theirs lost to a dry dock

To be fair, the dry dock looked pretty buff and the carrier was on 4 packs a day.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mustang posted:

Most of the comments are from the yokels in Eastern Washington or Seattle and Tacoma natives that now live in some cesspool in the South.

After my brother left the Army he settled down near Tacoma to be with a chick he met while stationed in Lewis. Him, his wife, his in-laws, and their immediate friends are pretty backwards. They probably on the balance wouldn't go out lynching folks for failing the paper bag test, but wouldn't want their daughters dating someone who would fail it, and god help them if they turned out gay.

poo poo heads like that are vocal and live everywhere regardless of how much of a workers paradise it is

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I will miss her self-owns.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Cheeto dick is threatening to not only shut down the border but the government next month

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Merry Christmas!

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
he's doing it to avoid the new people from swearing in lol

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Pretty sure executive agencies shutting down has no bearing on the start of the new congress?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
oh ok probably not but also I doubt he would know that either so lol

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Do it you mushroom-dicked simpleton. Shut down the government right before Christmas. I have no doubt you'd fail at any sort of political maneuvering like Mitch McTurtle would do to make it look either Democrats fault or "both sides" and you'd do the only thing you know how to, slap your name all over it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I can't wait to hear him blame the Democrats for a government shutdown that happens while the Republicans still control Congress.

It's going to be amazing.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

McNally posted:

I can't wait to hear him blame the Democrats for a government shutdown that happens while the Republicans still control Congress.

It's going to be amazing.

He blamed them when they controlled house and senate why stop now?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

ded posted:

He blamed them when they controlled house and senate why stop now?

He blames every problem on the Democrats, even stuff that's irrelevant to anything.

"I'm sorry Mr President, we can't bring back the McRib."

"GEORGE SOROS IS KILLING THE PORK INDUSTRY"

"Mr President, the condition is called 'neurosyphillis meningitis', it's the result of not having the STD syphilis treaded promptly."

"CROOKED HILLARY GAVE ME BRAIN WORMS"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Good news the McRib is back! The White House kitchen can stock up!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Freedom of Speech
Freedom of Worship
Freedom from Fear
Freedom from Gritty

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Freedom from Gritty

Gritty is Freedom.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
gritty is everyone

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EBB posted:

Gritty is Freedom.

Freedom from this mortal coil maybe.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Fellow man I too lust for death

The death of capitalists

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mods changed my name posted:

get this, it's because he think's he's smart when he brings it up

It's 100% this. I've never heard him mention it before but just the way he brings it up it's a case of "Heh, bet you didn't know that I knew that"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Gritty is love
Gritty is life

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Ataxerxes posted:

Now that is certainly something I haven't come across, but it's been a long time since I was in. Getting to AUK or RUK (nco and officer training) varied a lot between places, in some garrisons it was really hard and it others they had to ask for volunteers. For the international audience the system was so that a certain group would get nco training and the best of each nco group would go on to be reserve officers. To get into the military academy having been in the nco training was enough.

It's been a while since I read it, but it boils down to how restrictive recruiting is because of the requirement to pass RUK training to be eligible for the military academy. NCO training alone doesn't qualify for Kadis, you need to be accepted to a platoon leader's course and pass that first.

At the core, the issue is that the requirements for officer training restrict the pipeline, and how well someone performs in Basic at age 19-21 doesn't really predict if they can be a good officer later down the line, especially since only a minority of those who pass RUK even consider a career in the military. Most suggestions I've seen is that there should be a secondary pipeline to those who either don't serve or serve poorly but later want to be nobles.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Current Event- the new Prince album, "Piano and a Microphone-1983" is cool as poo poo, and great to chill to.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Kemper Boyd posted:

It's been a while since I read it, but it boils down to how restrictive recruiting is because of the requirement to pass RUK training to be eligible for the military academy. NCO training alone doesn't qualify for Kadis, you need to be accepted to a platoon leader's course and pass that first.

At the core, the issue is that the requirements for officer training restrict the pipeline, and how well someone performs in Basic at age 19-21 doesn't really predict if they can be a good officer later down the line, especially since only a minority of those who pass RUK even consider a career in the military. Most suggestions I've seen is that there should be a secondary pipeline to those who either don't serve or serve poorly but later want to be nobles.

Well, it is true that you need to have completed the platoon leader course, but the instructions for applicants (https://upseeriksi.fi/haku) state explicitly that you can be a reserve nco who has completed the course (see here: https://maavoimat.fi/artikkeli/-/asset_publisher/joukkueenjohtajakurssilta-valmiudet-kadettikouluun) after service. Also, you need to be no more than 26 to apply so I would say that the alternate pipeline exists, especially since this (https://puolustusvoimat.fi/web/reservilaiselle/reservin-taydennyskurssit) is also an option. A person could complete the service as a private, do the nco training some years after voluntarily, then apply to the academy and get accepted on the condition that they complete the platoon leader course.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Ataxerxes posted:

Well, it is true that you need to have completed the platoon leader course, but the instructions for applicants (https://upseeriksi.fi/haku) state explicitly that you can be a reserve nco who has completed the course (see here: https://maavoimat.fi/artikkeli/-/asset_publisher/joukkueenjohtajakurssilta-valmiudet-kadettikouluun) after service. Also, you need to be no more than 26 to apply so I would say that the alternate pipeline exists, especially since this (https://puolustusvoimat.fi/web/reservilaiselle/reservin-taydennyskurssit) is also an option. A person could complete the service as a private, do the nco training some years after voluntarily, then apply to the academy and get accepted on the condition that they complete the platoon leader course.

In practice, tho, it's rare for people to come in like that still, since there's the extra hoops you need to jump through.

Here's a short article about the doctoral thesis someone did about the Finnish officer corps and their training and background etc.

https://yle.fi/aihe/artikkeli/2012/04/23/suomalaisista-upseereista-ei-ole-strategeiksi

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Happy Black Friday everyone! Hope you spend the day drinking beer or vaping weed and eating Thanksgiving leftovers instead of shopping.

Here are you headlines:

Law prohibiting Female Genital Mutilation ruled unconstitutional.

quote:

A federal judge dismissed criminal charges against two doctors in a landmark female genital mutilation case and ruled that Congress “overstepped its bounds” by passing a law banning the procedure.

The case centered on two Michigan doctors and six others charged last year in connection with arranging to perform female genital mutilation on nine girls, four from Michigan and five of whom were brought to the state from Illinois and Minnesota.
But on Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman found the federal ban unconstitutional, ruling that, among other reasons, female genital mutilation is a “local criminal activity” that must be regulated by the states, not Congress.

He dismissed most mutilation and conspiracy charges against Jumana Nagarwala, the physician who was accused of performing the procedures, and Fakhruddin Attar, the doctor who was accused of allowing his clinic to be used for the surgeries. Those charges were also dismissed against two others accused of assisting in the surgeries and four mothers who were accused of bringing their daughters to the clinic for the procedure.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.5ccedebec5d5

Cindy Hyde-Smith has embraced Confederate history more than once in her political career

quote:

Starting her second year as a Mississippi state senator, Cindy Hyde-Smith arrived at the State Capitol in Jackson in 2001 to file one of her earliest pieces of legislation. Senate Bill 2604, as she proposed it, would have renamed a stretch of highway to the title it had in the 1930s: Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway.

It is one of several instances in which the now-U.S. senator would embrace a pride in the Confederacy and its aftermath that is coming under new scrutiny in the wake of her comments that she would sit with a supporter in the front row of a “public hanging” — remarks that she defended as an exaggerated gesture of friendship and that others said alluded to lynching.

In 2014, she donned a Confederate hat and posed with a rifle, writing on her Facebook page that the Jefferson Davis homestead in Biloxi is a “must see.”

“Mississippi history at its best!” she wrote.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.b72be83a2568

Saudis Want a U.S. Nuclear Deal. Can They Be Trusted Not to Build a Bomb?

quote:

WASHINGTON — Before Saudi Arabia’s crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, was implicated by the C.I.A. in the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, American intelligence agencies were trying to solve a separate mystery: Was the prince laying the groundwork for building an atomic bomb?

The 33-year-old heir to the Saudi throne had been overseeing a negotiation with the Energy Department and the State Department to get the United States to sell designs for nuclear power plants to the kingdom. The deal was worth upward of $80 billion, depending on how many plants Saudi Arabia decided to build.

But there is a hitch: Saudi Arabia insists on producing its own nuclear fuel, even though it could buy it more cheaply abroad, according to American and Saudi officials familiar with the negotiations. That raised concerns in Washington that the Saudis could divert their fuel into a covert weapons project — exactly what the United States and its allies feared Iran was doing before it reached the 2015 nuclear accord, which President Trump has since abandoned.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/22/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-nuclear.html

That last one explains why they kept denying the Khashoggi killing. Any sanctions would keep their nuke project from getting off the ground.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

BigDave posted:

Happy Black Friday everyone! Hope you spend the day drinking beer or vaping weed and eating Thanksgiving leftovers instead of shopping.

Here are you headlines:

Law prohibiting Female Genital Mutilation ruled unconstitutional.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.5ccedebec5d5

Oh my loving god

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Also, just another example of the President not being able to spell words

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1065952431455068160

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh my loving god

He's not wrong. The statute would have to be written to fall under the powers granted the federal government. Similarly, murder is not a federal crime nor could it be unless is involves interstate commerce, or federal land or officials. When the federal government prosecutes something like a lynching or church bombing, it's for "violating civil rights" under the Civil Rights Act.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
i’m so glad our slave-owning forefathers created a perfect system where outlawing female genital mutilation needs to be on a state by state basis

e: also murder apparently. can we stop pretending this is a perfect form of government yet?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
States rights!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

He's not wrong. The statute would have to be written to fall under the powers granted the federal government. Similarly, murder is not a federal crime nor could it be unless is involves interstate commerce, or federal land or officials. When the federal government prosecutes something like a lynching or church bombing, it's for "violating civil rights" under the Civil Rights Act.

States rights bs is universally used to cover for heinous bullshit such as FGM, abortion restrictions, and institutionalized racism. gently caress states rights imo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Don't forget gay conversion camps

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
On the other hand it does mean that when the Republicans take over the Federal Government, like they have for the past 2 years, they can't completely gently caress up states that have more progressive rules in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

SimonCat posted:

On the other hand it does mean that when the Republicans take over the Federal Government, like they have for the past 2 years, they can't completely gently caress up states that have more progressive rules in place.

On the other hand a post reconstruction south in which the feds didn't have to pass a civil rights act to go down and throw a bunch of racists in jail may have turned out differently.