Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Chess is great, but like tennis, you need to play against someone of comparable skill

I did manage to beat my friend at speed chess once (he's good enough he wins tournaments with prize money) because he was drunk and super high and conceded before I even realized id completely trapped him . I'm the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Judge walked into the hearing this morning, said he had ready my motion, that he was granting us relief, and even said I did a good job with it.

I guess writing an 8 page breakdown was good after all because I got my client released on recognizance rather than the $10k bond the first appearance judge set.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

drat the judge actually read your motion.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The judge lied and his clerk read it

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
You wrote an 8 page motion for bond review? What was the point of the hearing

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 20, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pook Good Mook posted:

You wrote an 8 page motion for bond review? What was the point of the hearing

There wasn’t one. Florida law allows the judge to sign off but because the state “opposed” they set it for a hearing instead of just signing off.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Law. Where the rules are made up and your points don't matter.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

So true it hurts.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Nothing better than getting a call from a client that a big transaction on which you've been waiting months is now live and the documentation needs to be drafted by Monday. There goes my loving meticulously planned Thanksgiving.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Yuns posted:

There goes my loving meticulously planned Thanksgiving.

This could be a thread title in its own right.

I once had a client call me on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend at 5:00 p.m. I had not heard from this client for any work in nine months, and had no idea that anything was coming. They called me to tell me that they had emailed me documents, and expected me to take a look at them so we could get on the phone and discuss them at 6:00 p.m. They were pretty pissed off when I explained, "I'm in a park with my kids - I literally cannot look at these documents in the next hour - I do not have my laptop here, and it is outside of the laws of physics for me to be able to get somewhere in that time frame to look at them." They told me they would find another attorney to do it. Ask me whether I miss that sort of thing.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone (including you Yuns, sorry about the client)! Eat lots of turkey, or whatever the Russian/Norwegian equivalent is (vodka and reindeer, I'm assuming). Big hugs to everyone!

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 21, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-confessions-of-judgment

You guys see this? There's probably more going on than the article is saying but Jesus Christ if it's even half true it's insane

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Got a kid out of jail before thanksgiving. Feelsgood.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

Got a kid out of jail before thanksgiving. Feelsgood.

Good stuff.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

SlyFrog posted:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone (including you Yuns, sorry about the client)! Eat lots of turkey, or whatever the Russian/Norwegian equivalent is (vodka and reindeer, I'm assuming). Big hugs to everyone!

Thanksgiving isn't really a thing, but I'll take any excuse to eat some reindeer so right back atcha! I'm thankful for my girlfriend accepting my proposal last night, so I do have that to celebrate.

Hope you all have a happy day as well.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Thanksgiving isn't really a thing, but I'll take any excuse to eat some reindeer so right back atcha! I'm thankful for my girlfriend accepting my proposal last night, so I do have that to celebrate.

Congratulations!!! Despite how much as people poo poo on marriage these days, getting married to my wife was the best decision in my life.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yuns posted:

Congratulations!!! Despite how much as people poo poo on marriage these days, getting married to my wife was the best decision in my life.

Thanks! At least something's going the right way in my life, just got turned down for that job I got called back on, apparently they wanted someone with "more experience" or whatever. Oh well, swings and roundabouts

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Thanks! At least something's going the right way in my life, just got turned down for that job I got called back on, apparently they wanted someone with "more experience" or whatever. Oh well, swings and roundabouts
If you and your fiance are ever visiting NYC, please reach out to me. I'd love to buy you guys a celebratory drink or meal.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yuns posted:

If you and your fiance are ever visiting NYC, please reach out to me. I'd love to buy you guys a celebratory drink or meal.

Thanks, I really appreciate the sentiment! Probably won't happen anytime soon, but if we ever do go I'd love the chance for a chat so I'll keep it in mind.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yuns buy my house I can't sell, to celebrate the birth of my second child.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Congrats you loving idiot, you just built a stabbin cabin out in the woods and immediatley get engaged. Way to go.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Congrats you loving idiot, you just built a stabbin cabin out in the woods and immediatley get engaged. Way to go.

Hey, listen I know you were really looking forward to some Brokeback Mountain action up there but you're just gonna have to find someone else to bring. I'm not getting any younger.

E: Lookit, this came up on my facebook feed, this could be you blarzgh! If you wanted to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmYCUljsrDg

(look at that poo poo, this is exactly what I didn't do. That lack of a foundation is going to start moving his base frame around due to frost heaving and due to the weight of those logs it's probably not going to be quite rigid enough to withstand microfriction that'll eventually wear down his caulking, also it has no insulation. None. The worst part is that it's incredibly hard to rodent-proof that construction. Then again, for a what it is and also an extremely impressive 99,99% solo build it's pretty fantastic overall, gotta say)

(yeah, 99,99% solo I saw the doggo, the doggo helped)

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 22, 2018

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
For all you current law students who may be thinking that student evaluations of law professors don't matter, I give you McCue v. UBC (No. 4).

I was in McCue's 2009-2010 property law class, her final year before she mysteriously disappeared from the school (she was rejected for tenure and fired, prompting the 9 year string of 4 lawsuits). She was hands down the worst professor I had in my 3 years at UBC, and her 1L property class remains the lowest grade on my transcript, so it's nice to see that her decade of lovely student evaluations were an important factor in her termination.

It's an extremely long judgment, but good god is it cathartic to see the hundreds and hundreds of pages of testimony from my former dean and professors slamming her for being awful, and acknowledging that the students weren't just being whiny.

E: nevermind, at page 96 the tribunal accepts that the 1L student evaluations were not important. Only her upper level course evaluations were considered. :rip:

Tipps fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 22, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I bring you another gift from the comics thread. I'll spare you the entire series, this one seemed most apposite.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

I bring you another gift from the comics thread. I'll spare you the entire series, this one seemed most apposite.

Heh. You know, the worst client I ever had (maybe outside the suicide one) was an accountant that simply could not be told that no, every single minute fact of this relatively minor case does not need to be explained to the judge in excruciating detail over hundred of pages of jam-packed text like some insane person's livejournal.

Christ I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Tipps posted:

For all you current law students who may be thinking that student evaluations of law professors don't matter, I give you McCue v. UBC (No. 4).

I was in McCue's 2009-2010 property law class, her final year before she mysteriously disappeared from the school (she was rejected for tenure and fired, prompting the 9 year string of 4 lawsuits). She was hands down the worst professor I had in my 3 years at UBC, and her 1L property class remains the lowest grade on my transcript, so it's nice to see that her decade of lovely student evaluations were an important factor in her termination.

It's an extremely long judgment, but good god is it cathartic to see the hundreds and hundreds of pages of testimony from my former dean and professors slamming her for being awful, and acknowledging that the students weren't just being whiny.

E: nevermind, at page 96 the tribunal accepts that the 1L student evaluations were not important. Only her upper level course evaluations were considered. :rip:

Lol the legal profession and educators in particular are absolutely loving failing the current / next generation of lawyers

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 22, 2018

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Lol the legal profession and educators in particular are absolutely loving failing the current / next generation of lawyers

Finished last year; can confirm.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tipps posted:

The important thing is that one of those insufferable leeches got what was coming.

I actually liked most of my professors

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I think it's worth noting while I can still vaguely recall my law school experience that all the young professors I had were enthusiastic, helpful, and intelligent (even when they weren't necessarily great teachers) while the much-vaunted "legends" who "wrote the book on X" and who made appearances on radio and TV that everyone was excited to take classes with were an extremely mixed bag. Half of them were just checked out, half them were noticably addled, and some went so far as to openly attempt to sleep with students. I remember one old gently caress in particular who told a student who dared to ask the same question twice in his office hours (the student didn't understand the first explanation) to "toughen up" and subsequently just ended his office hours with no further comment.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving, hahaha.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

I think it's worth noting while I can still vaguely recall my law school experience that all the young professors I had were enthusiastic, helpful, and intelligent (even when they weren't necessarily great teachers) while the much-vaunted "legends" who "wrote the book on X" and who made appearances on radio and TV that everyone was excited to take classes with were an extremely mixed bag. Half of them were just checked out, half them were noticably addled, and some went so far as to openly attempt to sleep with students. I remember one old gently caress in particular who told a student who dared to ask the same question twice in his office hours (the student didn't understand the first explanation) to "toughen up" and subsequently just ended his office hours with no further comment.

My civ pro professor wrote our textbook. He asked that if we ever did anything noteworthy participation-wise in class that we write it up and send it to his secretary. Never got the hang of civ pro

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

So, who billed on Thanksgiving? Americans only please.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
No billing in thanksgiving, but my boss did have me send out the global mycase message wishing everyone a happy thanksgiving so I have a few dozen replies in my inbox that kept popping up throughout the day. Thankfully none of my clients got arrested.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I have to make sure a subpoena response sent out late Wednesday gets received so we can avoid a 9 AM motion to compel hearing Monday morning. Dick move scheduling, plaintiffs attorney.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Would have, but in the hospital.

Not unrelatedly, anyone have experience with Chapter 7?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Of course I billed on thanksgiving.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Me but not a lot. I am still waiting for docs. I know they'll arrive absolutely last minute.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I got paid for Thanksgiving, if that's what you mean? Even though I didn't do any work. This concept of "billing" is hard to wrap my head around.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I didn't bill and thus made no money. This is actually the first time in a decade I haven't worked day after thanksgiving and it sucks to lose a few hundred bucks

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Congratulations! I'm with Yuns on this one; the best, most fun, most rewarding and luckiest decision I ever made.

My son in law doesn't do Thanksgiving turkey (for good reason) so it was braised rabbit and slow cooked venison. And orange ginger cranberry sauce:circlefap:

E: Lookit, this came up on my facebook feed, this could be you blarzgh! If you wanted to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmYCUljsrDg

I wish. 8ha of trees and not a single straight one, damnit.
The lack of foundation is a head scratcher, though. (By the way, have you moved your woodpile away from the cabin yet?)

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thankfully none of my clients got arrested.
No so much here. Good news: not a new crime. Bad news: Still trying to make work the concept of imprisoning people into prosperity (it's not)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

Congratulations! I'm with Yuns on this one; the best, most fun, most rewarding and luckiest decision I ever made.

My son in law doesn't do Thanksgiving turkey (for good reason) so it was braised rabbit and slow cooked venison. And orange ginger cranberry sauce:circlefap:

Thanks! We're both pretty happy with how it went down and the decision as well, but it's been in the cards for a while now that we're a long term thing, we are really a great team at life in general and pretty much every project (yes, even the cabin). Being a huge romantic, I focus on the mutual legal benefits to the both of us. I have the most adorable prenup prepped.

That's a joke, marital laws in Norway are excessively fair in practice.

Goddamn that sounds tasty. In Norway, turkey is the traditional new years eve meal (at least as far as I've seen), that's pretty much it. We obviously don't celebrate thanksgiving because we just aren't thankful, damnit, but we do have a massive traditional Christmas Eve dinner before opening presents. It's either ribbe (basically pork ribs with rinds) or pinnekjøtt (stick meat, or actually slow salt cooked lamb ribs). We don't eat lutefisk, total myth. That's christmas day. Although we eat rakfisk which is much better.

joat mon posted:

I wish. 8ha of trees and not a single straight one, damnit.
The lack of foundation is a head scratcher, though. (By the way, have you moved your woodpile away from the cabin yet?)

No so much here. Good news: not a new crime. Bad news: Still trying to make work the concept of imprisoning people into prosperity (it's not)

God drat, those are some beautiful trees though. Might not make the best wall material, but they can have some excellent use for corners, crossbeams and supports. One of my favourite shows is a dude refurbishing an old rear end farm down the west country and he sources his stuff from his own woods, makes structural pieces out of them in his own workshop and builds really incredibly interesting interiors from them.

I did indeed split the wood into ready made firewood and moved them a bit for storage. Don't want to give any critters any clever ideas regarding my walls. Although, they should be well hibernating as of last month up there and I didn't see any signs when I was up there last, so it should be fine in general. I went full paranoid nutter with the rodent proofing. I do appreciate the heads up, though, there's a lot of poo poo that's easy to forget. Already ruined one of my rain buckets because I didn't frost proof it.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 23, 2018