Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

i hope in dragon age 4 we will be able to stop solas from tearing down the fade. :)

I have two ideas for DA4, both centering on the Qunari because I love them:

1. Siding with Tevinter or the Qunari in their endless war, possibly over that island or whatever it was that Fenris and Iron Bull were at.

2. Siding with Solas or the Qunari with Solas attempting to tear down the Veil and the Qunari attempting to strengthen it. Idea shamelessly stolen from Warhammer 4K's Necrons, it would basically be the equivalent of sealing off the Warp. Absolutely no more magic or spirits or anything. Makes sense for the "techno faction" who hates magic to do this. Granted, problems about everybody becoming Tranquil but sure there's a workaround they could come up with in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm disappointed I couldn't gaysex the latino meathead in ME 3 tbh. Why even put in eyecandy like that just to tease us, smdh

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

i hope in dragon age 4 we will be able to stop solas from tearing down the fade. :)

I'd kind of want him to succeed because it would make a more interesting setting going forward.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

McCloud posted:

I'm disappointed I couldn't gaysex the latino meathead in ME 3 tbh. Why even put in eyecandy like that just to tease us, smdh

:same:

Avalerion posted:

I'd kind of want him to succeed because it would make a more interesting setting going forward.

Seems like we should be happy even getting DA4 to get any closure to the story at all. I would be elated if he tears down the Veil, as it would imply some kind of confidence that there will be a DA5.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Again, to me what it boils down to is that the romance stuff is very ancillary and only really exists in these specific games as essentially flavor fluff so in that light the benefit to the gay players far outweighs the plot significance of the NPCs sexuality

In other types of games it's totally different, but in these kind of games the romances are super optional and barely have any bearing on the characters so why not let me romance whoever I want?

Example: Dorian's sexuality is massively tied into his character plot so yes, it's pretty important that he is gay. Not gonna argue that point.

But unless their sexuality is a core part of their story, just make them bi. Most people are on the Kinsey scale anyway so why not.

Kaidan's coming out speech if you gaymance him was handled really well, for example.

Ideally if you're going to put romances in your game, you would write enough specific dialogue to account for it. At character creation, ask if your Shepard/Inquistor is gay, straight, bi or pan. And based on that, have the romance options be written differently to adapt to that. Unless, again, the sexuality ties into their story like with Dorian.

Ultimately in games like this "who do you bone" is fairly minor in the face of "we're fighting demons to save the world" and that's why I'm in favor of "everyone is potentially bi". It's not like I'm saying that Gone Home should have you able to make your sister straight. I'm only talking about this kind of RPG where the romance stuff is just added flavor.

:shrug:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

precision posted:

Again, to me what it boils down to is that the romance stuff is very ancillary and only really exists in these specific games as essentially flavor fluff so in that light the benefit to the gay players far outweighs the plot significance of the NPCs sexuality

In other types of games it's totally different, but in these kind of games the romances are super optional and barely have any bearing on the characters so why not let me romance whoever I want?

Example: Dorian's sexuality is massively tied into his character plot so yes, it's pretty important that he is gay. Not gonna argue that point.

But unless their sexuality is a core part of their story, just make them bi. Most people are on the Kinsey scale anyway so why not.

Kaidan's coming out speech if you gaymance him was handled really well, for example.

Ideally if you're going to put romances in your game, you would write enough specific dialogue to account for it. At character creation, ask if your Shepard/Inquistor is gay, straight, bi or pan. And based on that, have the romance options be written differently to adapt to that. Unless, again, the sexuality ties into their story like with Dorian.

Ultimately in games like this "who do you bone" is fairly minor in the face of "we're fighting demons to save the world" and that's why I'm in favor of "everyone is potentially bi". It's not like I'm saying that Gone Home should have you able to make your sister straight. I'm only talking about this kind of RPG where the romance stuff is just added flavor.

:shrug:

Back before I got into DA and was just talking to folks about it, I thought Alistair was the preferred romance largely because it had story significance. I love Leliana but it has no bearing on the plot. Romancing Al effects quite a few important (and cool) things. The Landsmeet is the obvious one of course but also apparently he will sacrifice himself against the Archdemon if you romance him, didn't do the ritual and have him in your party when you fight it. That's really neat. At least I think, I haven't tried it.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

precision posted:

Exactly. The romances are just sidequests. Deciding to write a sidequest players can only access if they play as (eg) a straight man is generally lovely.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I agree it's better to leave it open outside of edge cases like Dorrian, but DA:II's "player sexual" characters got criticized quite heavily, so making the Inquisition ones more limited was likely a direct response to that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ainsley McTree posted:

Video games should mine your social media and decide whether NPCs will gently caress you based on that

But then they wont gently caress me

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

The Landsmeet is the obvious one of course but also apparently he will sacrifice himself against the Archdemon if you romance him, didn't do the ritual and have him in your party when you fight it. That's really neat. At least I think, I haven't tried it.
Can confirm this - my Warden was all grimly ready to sacrifice herself for the greater good when her idiot boyfriend grabbed the sword instead. Really surprised me at the time but in retrospect it seems like a very Alistair thing to do.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How does the ritual work with a female warden

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

How does the ritual work with a female warden

Doesn't, Morrigan has to does it with Alistair (or Logain) in that case.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Avalerion posted:

Doesn't, Morrigan has to does it with Alistair (or Logain) in that case.

Can you still convince her not to?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kurtofan posted:

Can you still convince her not to?

You have to refuse her plan and she gets pissed off. I think she might even leave the party at that point, but it was super weird in my game because I already told Morrigan to leave 30 hours prior to this and she just pops up again in my bedroom unannounced.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

You have to refuse her plan and she gets pissed off. I think she might even leave the party at that point, but it was super weird in my game because I already told Morrigan to leave 30 hours prior to this and she just pops up again in my bedroom unannounced.

Hey, same here! Did this on my first DAO run because it blew my mind. I've never played an RPG where I could tell a character who annoys me to get lost.

Buncha folks yelled at me too when I was reporting my playthrough on another forum. Good times.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Avalerion posted:

DA:II's "player sexual" characters got criticized quite heavily, so making the Inquisition ones more limited was likely a direct response to that.

Yes, like making ME2 entirely hetero was a response to the outrage over a blue hand in ME1. I'm glad Bioware got over that one and hope they do the same with this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh dear me posted:

Yes, like making ME2 entirely hetero was a response to the outrage over a blue hand in ME1. I'm glad Bioware got over that one and hope they do the same with this.

There's a quote from the lead game director that ME2 didn't have gay male romances because they were too R rated and they were going for PG13. Yes really. It was pretty bad. He directly links homosexuality to being not family friendly.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

precision posted:

He directly links homosexuality to being not family friendly.
Bioware’s game director doesn’t get to decide what’s PG and R rated though.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

precision posted:

There's a quote from the lead game director that ME2 didn't have gay male romances because they were too R rated and they were going for PG13. Yes really. It was pretty bad. He directly links homosexuality to being not family friendly.

How is that his fault? He's not the one that made male buggery R-rated.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Isn’t that a reflection of a larger issue of homophobes/conservatives/religious bigots/etc describing anything outside of heteronormative relationships as inherently sexual and therefore “inappropriate?” Just yesterday during the Macy’s parade two women kissed as part of a Broadway performance and you had people on social media claiming they had to change the channel or pull little Shytlee and Bratdum away from the television lest they be exposed to the horrible degrading sex that is.....kissing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Isn’t that a reflection of a larger issue of homophobes/conservatives/religious bigots/etc describing anything outside of heteronormative relationships as inherently sexual and therefore “inappropriate?” Just yesterday during the Macy’s parade two women kissed as part of a Broadway performance and you had people on social media claiming they had to change the channel or pull little Shytlee and Bratdum away from the television lest they be exposed to the horrible degrading sex that is.....kissing.

Yes, and more than one country banned a webcomic by Blizzard that featured two women kissing.

The right wing thinks that acknowledging that homosexuality even exists is a bad thing to do.

The inclusivity towards LGBT people is something I've always adored Bioware for. Even though Bioware's gutted corpse seems to finally be collapsing on the floor, I picked up AC: Odyssey yesterday and now have a tall, muscular Greek woman who runs around murdering people and hitting on all the women.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Cythereal posted:

I picked up AC: Odyssey yesterday and now have a tall, muscular Greek woman who runs around murdering people and hitting on all the women.
Stop making me want to play an AssCreed game!
Haven't cares about AC since like three hours into the first one, and I don't have time for a giant rear end open world game now either. :mad:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Apart from Dorian, have we met anyone from tevinter who isn’t a slaver wizard monster? I hope we get a DA4 because I’d like to see what they do with the place when you have to actually play the game there instead of just hear stories about it.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Apart from Dorian, have we met anyone from tevinter who isn’t a slaver wizard monster? I hope we get a DA4 because I’d like to see what they do with the place when you have to actually play the game there instead of just hear stories about it.

Krem!

But yes I would really like to actually see Tevinter for myself.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Groetgaffel posted:

Stop making me want to play an AssCreed game!
Haven't cares about AC since like three hours into the first one, and I don't have time for a giant rear end open world game now either. :mad:

Not emptyquoting.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Ainsley McTree posted:

Calpernia is a wizard and Morally Conflicted but she kills slavers so kinda

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Fenris.

Bit of a temper on him but not really a monster.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Fenris is such a weird character. He's basically lyrium super-soldier Wolverine but his whole deal doesn't really fit in with anything else; you never meet another lyrium super-soldier despite the fact that the Venatori in DAI should be all about it instead of throwing more easily-murdered wizards at you and the process is never brought up ever again. He's also an elf that doesn't consider himself an elf, has a mysterious past that includes being a former Qunari and he can phase his hand through things sometimes I think?

He really does feel like someone's anime fan-insert that wandered into the wrong game. Despite that I don't actually dislike his character, though that may be 100% because of his voice actor salvaging that mess.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm pretty sure playing a elf lady in dao and romancing Alistair turned me bi. I remember being very sad that we couldn't be together at the end

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
lol speaking of NPCs who keep showing up I was just reading the entry for Bann/Arl Teagan and the reason he looks so different (handsome youngish guy in DA:0, old pockmarked weirdo in DA:I) is he and the Crestwood mayor who flooded the town share the same face model.

This is just a prelude to all the Asari save PeeBee in Mass Effect: Andromeda all having the exact same face, I'm sure of it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I agree for sure that equating gay men with R rating is society's fault but it's still a real dumb thing for the guy to say because him saying it perpetuates that idea tho

And yeah AC Odyssey is a great gay game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I often shy away from the romance arcs in Bioware RPGs because there's such an element of skeeze to them, but the hookups in Odyssey are so ridiculous and silly that it would be insane NOT to gently caress everybody (and everything!)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I often shy away from the romance arcs in Bioware RPGs because there's such an element of skeeze to them, but the hookups in Odyssey are so ridiculous and silly that it would be insane NOT to gently caress everybody (and everything!)

:same:

They’re treated with such an air of levity (and they fade to black before any real horniness occurs) that I don’t feel weird doing them. They’re funny on purpose, which is refreshing for video game romances. It’s no saints row 4 in that regard, but what is

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

precision posted:

And yeah AC Odyssey is a great gay game

exquisite tea posted:

I said to stop making me want to play it, not pile on the pressure.
:mad::mad::mad:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Groetgaffel posted:

I said to stop making me want to play it, not pile on the pressure.
:mad::mad::mad:

I dunno you can play your MC in AC:O with a thirst to rival the gods themselves you might wanna look into it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dawgstar posted:

I dunno you can play your MC in AC:O with a thirst to rival the gods themselves you might wanna look into it

It's classical Greece so everyone is bisexual to boot. No one's defined by their sexuality as an identity, people just like loving.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This thread is going places :haw:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

It's classical Greece so everyone is bisexual to boot. No one's defined by their sexuality as an identity, people just like loving.

Yeah I’m not even gay irl but it feels like a betrayal of the setting to not gently caress everyone who offers so I’m just going for it

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
being gay was an identity. but it was very different and weird. it was a higher love for socrates because men were more rational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Wolfsheim posted:

Fenris is such a weird character.

My favourite da2 moment is at the end where I had him side with the Templars and shut him down and got him to rejoin with a single line