Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've never played the Nintendo 64 Zelda games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Andrast posted:

Yeah, Majora is at least 20x better than OOT

Lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What 30x? Well if you say so

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Do any of you have any recommendations for mice and keyboards that work well with tablets?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

how much better is majora’s mask than oot. it’s hard to say. it’s an extraordinary amount for sure. but we do know this: ww and tp are better than oot too

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

oddium posted:

how much better is majora’s mask than oot. it’s hard to say. but we do know this: ww and tp are better than oot too

oot is just a solid 6th or 7th place on the zelda tier list, and it's nothing to be ashamed of but we need to accept it

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Honestly not wrong. Every handheld zelda is more tolerable and emphasize fun, and Link to the Past still remains GOAT.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

oot is just a solid 6th or 7th place on the zelda tier list, and it's nothing to be ashamed of but we need to accept it

More like 8th for me (9th if I separate Oracle of seasons/ages get two slots instead of one)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Relax Or DIE posted:

Agreed. The handheld Zeldas and LttP are turbo dope. The only 3D one that even comes close for me is WW.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Link to the Past is one of my all time favorite video games, and SNES titles.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Twilight princess is the worst in the series by far, Nintendo's "AAA" Zelda effort that doesn't add anything to the series, just expanding on greatest hits. Ww updated combat and now you're forced to be an animal for long moments at a time for terrible item hunts. Oh hey and ganondorf is back to make the "new" villain useless.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I badly wanted Breath of the Wild to be my favorite Zelda game ever, but there are so many different gameplay mechanics that get in the way that other open world action games have done better.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

What mechanics? Playing assassin's Creed odyssey just reminds me how good botw is.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I badly wanted Breath of the Wild to be my favorite Zelda game ever, but there are so many different gameplay mechanics that get in the way that other open world action games have done better.

I really loved BOTW. It's tied with Majora as my favorite Zelda and one of my all time favorite games.

It's the only open world game that I enjoy because it's open world, rather than despite it

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
other open world games tremble in the shadow of botw, it contains a greater sense of wonder and adventure in one frame than those other games can muster in dozens of hours.

i can see why some don't like some of the systems though

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

What mechanics? Playing assassin's Creed odyssey just reminds me how good botw is.

How can you play Odyssey and want to go back to BotW? Odyssey is everything i've ever wanted in an open world action RPG.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bushisms.txt posted:

Same but reversed

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My favorite open world game is No Man's Sky

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BOTW is the game that made me see why other people like open world games. Usually a game being open world just makes it worse for me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Andrast posted:

I really loved BOTW. It's tied with Majora as my favorite Zelda and one of my all time favorite games.

It's the only open world game that I enjoy because it's open world, rather than despite it

This

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't play many games like that so I can't really compare though. The big one is FFXV which I really like but should have just been hallways, the world does nothing for me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The world in botw would be better with more unique/valuable rewards for exploration than shrines and seeds and weapon chests

May 8, 2006

In Training posted:

I don't play many games like that so I can't really compare though. The big one is FFXV which I really like but should have just been hallways, the world does nothing for me

the aesthetic really worked for me but that's very subjective of course.

To try and keep a giant post on botw into something short, botw works for me because it's not just open world but one that seems contiguous, and one that wants you to explore it.

ACO (a game I like) is a staccato world, heavily gated and bordered. The between 'thing of meaning' and 'emtpy but often beautiful' space are practically visible, it comes across as more of a fair with activity booths lined up for you to visit, just so long as you don't try to hard to visit them out of order.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 23, 2018

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I said come in! posted:

How can you play Odyssey and want to go back to BotW? Odyssey is everything i've ever wanted in an open world action RPG.

Does it still have the aggressive level scaling from Origins? If yes lmao nope

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Asscreed fails at world building because your horse has autopilot so you just read your phone between missions.

Also the facial animation/character models look lovely compared to other AAA imo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

the aesthetic really worked for me but that's very objective of course.

To try and keep a giant post on botw into something short, botw works for me because it's not just open world but one that seems contiguous, and one that wants you to explore it.

ACO (a game I like) is a staccato world, heavily gated and bordered. The between 'thing of meaning' and 'emtpy but often beautiful' space are practically visible, it comes across as more of a fair with activity booths lined up for you to visit, just so long as you don't try to hard to visit them out of order.

I think the fact that the map wasn't littered with icons and instead you looked at interesting stuff from a vantage point yourself also helped a lot for me. The map in BOTW was really cleverly designed to make you almost always see potential cool stuff in the distance.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I said come in! posted:

The climbing is pointless in aco, you just go wherever, there's no sense of adventure or tension. In botw i learned to be able to look at a cliff face and know if I could make the climb on my limited stamina.

The combat in aco is stiff as hell and not interesting in any new way. In botw i can turn jellies in to AoE weapons and use my shield to bounce on enemies heads.

The world in aco is just a scale replica, which is cool for "realism" sake, but the game is so not about realism, it shouldn't have been. The main issue is how vegetation and mountains block the users sight from seeing the rest of the world. What happens is you end up just walking through a similar looking world with different topography, but nothing really functionally designed with player interaction in mind. In botw, they deliberately created a world that has sight lines in all directions, at almost every point of the map. This makes you want to see what's up ahead instead of just seeing a staring at a wall of trees. Even faron woods does this with mountains facing each other with multiple paths visible at different heights.

And then quests in aco are the same as botw, but botw doesn't have an xp gate, meaning I'm not forced to do any of them to keep progressing. Instead the botw quests are to get you to see parts of the world you normally wouldn't, The snow bird quest being one of the best quests in gaming because of this.

Finally world interaction peaked with botw. I can run to almost any tree in sight and fulfill my wood requirements. In aco i have to search out a single flashing twig in a forest.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

FirstAidKite posted:

Do any of you have any recommendations for mice and keyboards that work well with tablets?

No brand recs, sorry. Any Bluetooth keyboard should work and I'm sure they have Fire covers with keyboards attached. I've never thought about using a mouse with a tablet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Andrast posted:

I think the fact that the map wasn't littered with icons and instead you looked at interesting stuff from a vantage point yourself also helped a lot for me. The map in BOTW was really cleverly designed to make you almost always see potential cool stuff in the distance.

Yeah, BOTW did a fantastic job of giving the feeling that I was actually discovering new and hidden things. Having the player be the one who puts the icon on the map rather than the designer or the automatic helper feature goes a long way towards maintaining that illusion.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i tried AC:Origins and bounced off it harder than any game i've ever played, it didn't last an hour

pretty sure i'm done with the series in general

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

Yeah, BOTW did a fantastic job of giving the feeling that I was actually discovering new and hidden things. Having the player be the one who puts the icon on the map rather than the designer or the automatic helper feature goes a long way towards maintaining that illusion.

Yeah the end reward might have been just a korok seed, yet another shrine or a disposable weapon but it still felt like I did something worthwhile afterwards

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

i tried AC:Origins and bounced off it harder than any game i've ever played, it didn't last an hour

pretty sure i'm done with the series in general

I tried to play black flag the other day since it's considered the latest and greatest in the series. It literally starts with 4 tailing missions over a period of a couple hours, it was miserable. Plus not being able to crouch, I don't get how people could stand it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The on foot playcontrol in black flag feels loving terrible too. People like it cause after 10 hours you can gently caress off in a boat and never look back

Andrast posted:

Yeah the end reward might have been just a korok seed, yet another shrine or a disposable weapon but it still felt like I did something worthwhile afterwards

The only rewarding areas for me were the castle, eventide, the banana dungeon, and the giant maze island.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Andrast posted:

One mans worthwhile is anothers 'shrug is that it?'

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Immaterial rewards are stupid, I want GREEN NUMBERS and I want them to go UP UP UP!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If I wanted to appreciate mountains for existing I'd go outside

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

One mans worthwhile is anothers 'shrug is that it?'

Well that's kind of obvious considering how many people like Ubisoft open world games that I find boring as as hell

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Black Flag was good in that little space for a (relatively) small period of time.

AssCreed 3 came out and bombed, there were a handful of mediocre, okay-but-boring sidegames. And it was considered generally more fun and exciting than games after it since Unity was a laughably buggy mess and horribly optimized, and Syndicate was England but by then the whole series felt like pumping blood from stone with the never ending onslaught of releases and how monotonous and one-note they felt.

But AssCreed 4 absolutely does not hold up just in the sense of having almost no respect for players' time with unskippable long cut scenes and the much maligned tailing missions.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

If I wanted to appreciate mountains for existing I'd go outside

Unironically this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

Unironically this