Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That's a TN panel, you can do better. There will probably be another ~$450 sale one at least one of the 1440/144/ips/gsync screens tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Do I need to worry about response time on an IPS? I vaguely recall that being one of the few advantages of a TN.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Response time is just half the story and it doesn't really tell you anything on its own. You will need to find the total input lag.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

monsterzero posted:

I've only had it two weeks but so far I'm really happy with it. I was coming from a 24" 1080p TV though, so it's immeasurably better in every regard.

The build quality is fine and the stand looked solid enough (but I'm using an arm.) No pixel defects and the color looks good to me, but I'm not to concerned with accuracy. The bottom right corner is a little brighter than the rest of the screen that's only noticeable if I'm looking for it on a solid black screen.

Excellent. Maybe next paycheck. Thanks!

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Meldonox posted:

Do I need to worry about response time on an IPS? I vaguely recall that being one of the few advantages of a TN.

You are set as long as it is named predator, acog, gamerTV, liquidnightmare, etc

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

A day late but no one's posted: That 34" alienware ultrawide is on sale on Newegg's eBay site. $720 pretax

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Alien...mCondition=1000

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Strong Sauce posted:

A day late but no one's posted: That 34" alienware ultrawide is on sale on Newegg's eBay site. $720 pretax

"Limited Quantity Available"
...1,241 sold in 24 hours

Something tells me none of us are going to be surprised when the 3419DW is announced at this point.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Absent a better value in the sub-$500 range I'm probably going to grab a $429 Dell S2716DG(R) from Microcenter.

Since Newegg sold out, best price I've seen on the XB271HU is $549.

If anyone finds a better deal on a decent 27" 1440p G-sync post it!

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Tyro posted:

Absent a better value in the sub-$500 range I'm probably going to grab a $429 Dell S2716DG(R) from Microcenter.

What's the difference between the XB271HU for $499
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N11QIYW/?tag=pcpapi-20

and this XB271HU for $549?
https://smile.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-bmiprz-2560x1440/dp/B06ZXZ3QBD/

Both look identical to one another, and for the most part seem identical to the ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR which is going for $449
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N4ENDXR/

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

staplegun posted:

What's the difference between the XB271HU for $499
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N11QIYW/?tag=pcpapi-20

and this XB271HU for $549?
https://smile.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-bmiprz-2560x1440/dp/B06ZXZ3QBD/

Both look identical to one another, and for the most part seem identical to the ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR which is going for $449
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N4ENDXR/

The cheaper one is a TN (Model: XB271HU Abmiprz), versus the IPS (Model: XB271HU bmiprz). Confusing yes. The Asus PG278QR is also a TN.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Strong Sauce posted:

This looks like such a great deal, but the 980 TI can't support this right? I would have to upgrade to the 1070 or something?

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

The cheaper one is a TN (Model: XB271HU Abmiprz), versus the IPS (Model: XB271HU bmiprz). Confusing yes. The Asus PG278QR is also a TN.

Thanks for the clarification, I should have known better than to think the string of letters after the model didn't mean anything.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

staplegun posted:

Thanks for the clarification, I should have known better than to think the string of letters after the model didn't mean anything.

Hell I didn't know either, haha, I was about to say thanks for saving me $50. Thanks Krom for clarifying.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

UchihaHirou posted:

This looks like such a great deal, but the 980 TI can't support this right? I would have to upgrade to the 1070 or something?

This is pretty tempting, I was planning on snagging a 1440p 27” gsync but this isn’t *that* much more...

Will games handle the extra wide resolution fine on the 3440 x 1440 Alienware?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

UchihaHirou posted:

Most high-end graphics cards are going to support basically any monitor you can plug into them. If you mean performance-wise, I'm pretty sure 1070 is roughly equivalent to a 980ti.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

980ti can still bang w the big boys imo just gonna have to tweak the useless settings

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah at higher resolutions 980Ti is a bit better since it has faster ram. It does have 2 gigs less though, so giant textures might run better on 1070?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Tyro posted:

The Dell is $349 at Best Buy so I'm getting one.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I'm real tempted to get this. Is there any reason I should expect to find an equivalent at a better price anytime soon? I'd imagine not given what day it is, right?

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Truga posted:

Yeah at higher resolutions 980Ti is a bit better since it has faster ram. It does have 2 gigs less though, so giant textures might run better on 1070?

Thanks for the advice thread. My poor impulse control has resulted in me open palm slamming the buy button on it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm looking to buy a 2nd monitor. I currently have a Dell U2311 and I'm extremely happy with it, so I'd like something that's on par with it. Mostly I play games, but since I'm so happy with my 2311 I'm willing to put my new one on secondary monitor duty and make it a netflix and web surfing machine. I'd like no bigger than 24" and IPS display. Anything extra is just cake, I don't need more than 60Hz, I don't need higher resolution than 1920x1080, I don't need gsync, though any of that stuff is nice it's not required for me.

So, what does the thread recommend for 24"? The XB241H is a TN display. The price is a little bit more than I'm willing to spend, so not being an IPS is pretty much a deal breaker. An XB271H is both way out of my price range and bigger than I was looking for anyway. I was looking at the U2415 on Amazon for $200, but that's it's regular price and it would be nice if I could get some sort of black friday deal since I wanted this long anyway. Is there anything else out there that I'm missing?

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.
I'm looking to pick up a secondary monitor to sit above my PG279Q. Any recommendations for good monitors that are IPS 27" 1440p 60hz?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Renegret posted:

I'm looking to buy a 2nd monitor. I currently have a Dell U2311 and I'm extremely happy with it, so I'd like something that's on par with it. Mostly I play games, but since I'm so happy with my 2311 I'm willing to put my new one on secondary monitor duty and make it a netflix and web surfing machine. I'd like no bigger than 24" and IPS display. Anything extra is just cake, I don't need more than 60Hz, I don't need higher resolution than 1920x1080, I don't need gsync, though any of that stuff is nice it's not required for me.

So, what does the thread recommend for 24"? The XB241H is a TN display. The price is a little bit more than I'm willing to spend, so not being an IPS is pretty much a deal breaker. An XB271H is both way out of my price range and bigger than I was looking for anyway. I was looking at the U2415 on Amazon for $200, but that's it's regular price and it would be nice if I could get some sort of black friday deal since I wanted this long anyway. Is there anything else out there that I'm missing?

If you just want a 24" 1920x1080 60Hz IPS the Dell U2415 or U2417 is as good as it's gonna get. If you want to spend less than $200 then I think the best alternative is probably the Asus VS239H-P, but it's just a bit less of everything compared to the Dell U2415/U2417. Doesn't have as good return policy either.

I don't think monitors in this category go on sale all that often - they're ubiqitous office appliances that nerds don't get excited about.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Meldonox posted:

I'm real tempted to get this. Is there any reason I should expect to find an equivalent at a better price anytime soon? I'd imagine not given what day it is, right?

They've been regularly going below 500, and were 442 2 days ago, it's not a particularly good price. ~$450 deals for one of the monitors in that class have been showing up every month or so for a while.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

K8.0 posted:

They've been regularly going below 500, and were 442 2 days ago, it's not a particularly good price. ~$450 deals for one of the monitors in that class have been showing up every month or so for a while.

I'm sure not in a pay-an-extra-hundred kind of a hurry. Is there an aggregator for this kind of thing I should watch? I've just been lazy and using camelcamelcamel.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm hoping to get a good deal on a second monitor or possibly replace my ASUS VW26H and use that as my second monitor. It doesn't need to be fancy, I just need more screen real estate so I can keep reference documents/videos open while coding or writing. I've got an NVidia GTX 1080 so I think ASUS freesync doesn't do anything for me? I want to spend less than $200 and am happy to wait until Cyber Monday if I'm likely to get a better deal then.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

TheFluff posted:

If you just want a 24" 1920x1080 60Hz IPS the Dell U2415 or U2417 is as good as it's gonna get. If you want to spend less than $200 then I think the best alternative is probably the Asus VS239H-P, but it's just a bit less of everything compared to the Dell U2415/U2417. Doesn't have as good return policy either.

I don't think monitors in this category go on sale all that often - they're ubiqitous office appliances that nerds don't get excited about.

Thank you!

So for that matter, are there any 24" monitors more geared towards gaming that are recommended right now? Should I consider XB241H anyway, and I being an idiot for automatically counting out a monitor for not being an IPS panel?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Meldonox posted:

I'm sure not in a pay-an-extra-hundred kind of a hurry. Is there an aggregator for this kind of thing I should watch? I've just been lazy and using camelcamelcamel.

Slickdeals is generally going to be your best bet for deal aggregation. The main three monitors you want to look at are the Acer xb271hu (bmiprz, not Abmiprz), Asus pg279q, and AOC ag271qg

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Renegret posted:

Thank you!

So for that matter, are there any 24" monitors more geared towards gaming that are recommended right now? Should I consider XB241H anyway, and I being an idiot for automatically counting out a monitor for not being an IPS panel?

No, TN panels are rear end. If you play a lot of fast paced shootmans and you're going to keep the 2311, then there might be a reason to get a very high refresh rate TN to complement it, but it's not gonna be pretty. At 60Hz TN offers you absolutely nothing over IPS.

e: ok I'm dumb the XB241H is 144Hz. Still, a TN at an angle in a dual monitor setup is gonna look terrible.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 23, 2018

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Alienware AW3418DW is $704 here with the BF18 20% discount. Decided to jump on it rather than wait for a 27” deal.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

That Predator XB271HU was on sale for $500 late last night, but it looks like at that price point it sold out...

It was in here, but no longer there.
https://www.amazon.com/s/browse/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&node=15201447011&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=a7e1c818-e7bc-4318-ae47-1f5300505baf

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i use a TN in a triple monitor setup and its crazy how easy it was to make it the one directly in front of me

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Look at this goddamn deal on a AW3418DW:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Dell-AW3418DW-Monitor/242723644?iid=382291335699

$719.99

My heart!!

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

tehinternet posted:

$719.99

My heart!!

Got this yesterday. Its gonna be here tomorrow. Now I just need to upgrade my 1060 6gb...

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

tehinternet posted:

$719.99

My heart!!

16 bucks cheaper 3 posts up...

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Suprfli6 posted:

Alienware AW3418DW is $704 here with the BF18 20% discount. Decided to jump on it rather than wait for a 27” deal.

poo poo...

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

K8.0 posted:

Slickdeals is generally going to be your best bet for deal aggregation. The main three monitors you want to look at are the Acer xb271hu (bmiprz, not Abmiprz), Asus pg279q, and AOC ag271qg

Thanks for the advice. I made an account and setup deal alerts for these items. :bandwagon:

I checked today and realized my "best" home monitor is a 24" TF panel I purchased in 12/2011. I think it's time to upgrade

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Whats good for ultra wide monitors. I am looking for at least over 2k resolution. So far I have in my mind Omen x Hp 35, ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q, Acer Predator Z35 35".

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

AW3418DW is the best on the market and it's on sale for $704 right now, look up the page and just buy one. Nothing else is as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Can you guys recommend a good VESA arm? I'm looking to have a 27" in the middle and probably my pair of 24" on the sides. I'd imagine these things aren't all created equal.