Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Also good lord i'm sick of the "Cynical shithead hiding from the security state in the iFuture" thing SR has fallen into since 4th ed. This book is a good idea. Note: I don't have a lot of hope that'll it'll be that good, since catalyst, but oh well.

Edit: I take it back, hooding AND mundane only bonuses? Oh my.

Reach 5 claymore is go, or at least a reach 2 shockhand.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/259492/

I had no idea this book was even a thing. Haven't heard about it before and I've been following the CGL twitter for ages.

that actually sounds good? and im interested in the location too? :psyduck:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I've heard there's an armor mod that's just straight up bonus defense against magic, so I'm interested.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Ronwayne posted:

Also good lord i'm sick of the "Cynical shithead hiding from the security state in the iFuture" thing SR has fallen into since 4th ed. This book is a good idea. Note: I don't have a lot of hope that'll it'll be that good, since catalyst, but oh well.

This is more a problem with the gm imo, you can do oldschool shadowrun feel in 5e just fine.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nalesh posted:

This is more a problem with the gm imo, you can do oldschool shadowrun feel in 5e just fine.

Considering the last run my group did before we stopped due to it not working out for us ended with a highway chase involving a trailer and a minigun armed helicopter I would say yes to that.
But at the same time that does seem to be the tone the SR4 and 5 books have been pushing extensively.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Nalesh posted:

Oh yes, its ignorable, but it takes a deliberate effort to do so. The zeitgeist of the current edition is, well, annoying.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Or overbearing perhaps.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Hot drat, the Blight toxin + DMSO makes magic targets take drain tests against its 12 power, and it takes away spirits Immunity to Normal Weapons for the duration. Anti magic gas grenades are in, baby.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

:hellyeah:

also

quote:

As easily removed as an ink tattoo of an ex-lover’s name, any Essence loss is reversible if the Grey Mana tattoo is removed, immediately returning to the character

That's a new precedent.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ronwayne posted:

Oh yes, its ignorable, but it takes a deliberate effort to do so. The zeitgeist of the current edition is, well, annoying.

I feel it's better than the book in 4E where you were just straight up drug-runners, but yeah, there's a ways to go.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.

Nalesh posted:

You can't lay all of that at the feet of the GM. The tone of the writing in the actual books matters, and starting in 4e the tone of the hold changed the 'default' runner from a political activist who does runs as much to make a statement as to make money, into the new 'default' of amoral mercenaries trying to make mad bank freelancing for assholes. GMs can choose to go against that change, sure, but there was a dramatic total shift in Shadowrun as a whole starting in 4e.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Apologies if this has been covered already but where could I go to pick up a physical copy of fifth edition? Haven't had much luck just googling it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/259492/

I had no idea this book was even a thing. Haven't heard about it before and I've been following the CGL twitter for ages.

gently caress, that looks interesting.

Why the hell doesn't CGL advertise loving anything?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Dear thread someone please run a Warren's Waveriders game tia

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Bumper Stickup posted:

Apologies if this has been covered already but where could I go to pick up a physical copy of fifth edition? Haven't had much luck just googling it.

Don't spend money on CGL books. The binding falls apart after literally just a week. Read through the thread for actual examples of that.

If you absolutely must give CGL money - which many people are boycotting because they're a shady company run by an embezzler who doesn't like to pay writers - at least buying a PDF will get you a product that doesn't literally disintegrate in your hands.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yes, Catalyst has managed to avoid being the most poorly run RPG company by virtue of not having (yet) caused a real life international incident.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ronwayne posted:

Yes, Catalyst has managed to avoid being the most poorly run RPG company by virtue of not having (yet) caused a real life international incident.

Nah, they managed that already. Remember War! getting massive edits before being able to be published in Germany because the Arbeit Macht Frei section was illegal there?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That is extremely unfortunate, but I still think White Wolf's "Gay purges in Chechnya are actually a vampire psyop" is probably worse.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah, they managed that already. Remember War! getting massive edits before being able to be published in Germany because the Arbeit Macht Frei section was illegal there?

Was that the jewish ghost killing, magic mengele machete one? I really need to get drunk and laugh at that book at some point.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ronwayne posted:

That is extremely unfortunate, but I still think White Wolf's "Gay purges in Chechnya are actually a vampire psyop" is probably worse.

Worse than running afoul of Germany's anti-Nazi laws by writing in an adventure where you go kill the ghosts of the holocaust victims to get not-Mengle's ritual murder scalpel, which is implied to be an intelligent magical item? Probably, but I'd say both are pretty damning.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I mean, the German government didn’t start shouting about suing Catalyst and supposedly threatening people translating Shadowrun books so it’s a pretty big leap there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

I mean, the German government didn’t start shouting about suing Catalyst and supposedly threatening people translating Shadowrun books so it’s a pretty big leap there.

They didn't have to. Their German publishing partner, Pegasus, caught it and stopped it before it got published in Germany and they would face criminal liability. Still in the English-language prints, though.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Ronwayne posted:

Edit: I take it back, hooding AND mundane only bonuses? Oh my.

Reach 5 claymore is go, or at least a reach 2 shockhand.

So...is the book good?
and does Mundane mean non-Awakened characters, or is it more expansive than that?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure it's for non-magic people so not for mages and adepts.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Oh dang, you can take 2 ranks of it and you get two choices per rank - reach 4 shockhands, reach 7 claymore.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I recall "Mundane" meaning no magic or resonance score, but it might be just magic.

Also:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

SolTerrasa posted:

Oh dang, you can take 2 ranks of it and you get two choices per rank - reach 4 shockhands, reach 7 claymore.

Yeah, THREE RANKS.

Have fun with that REACH 6 SHOCKHAND/9 CLAYMORE. It works out to like, 40 karma, post chargen, but yer a sam, what else are you going to spend it on?

Yes, in a competent gameline, the book would be good. In the context of shadowrun 5th, it's goddamn amazing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I have to ask why people are more excited about reach than damage though. Doesn't it just penalize defense tests?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

wiegieman posted:

I have to ask why people are more excited about reach than damage though. Doesn't it just penalize defense tests?

Damage is boring. Reach let’s you use a telescoping whip claymore yo lop off heads across the room, and then bury the tip in the ceiling to swing from one balcony to another.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Blocking the ability to dodge is usually more optimal anyway because most weapons hit hard enough to end fights already.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't reach capped at 4? I think I remember reading that, and it only provides a 1-4 bonus.

Can you get it for -ware weapons? Reach 4 fangs would be hilarious. :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Reach 4 shock hand just makes me imagine one of those extendo boxing gloves strapped to your arm.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Nalesh posted:

Reach 4 shock hand just makes me imagine one of those extendo boxing gloves strapped to your arm.

joker hand buzzer that can also be thrown like a yo-yo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arbjAHydh2U

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Dhalsim is real, and strong, and the back-up Long Gun of the team

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's just Zan from Streets of Rage 3.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I love ARMS on my Nintendo Switch!

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

A taser, but the little darts are boxing gloves. A sword twice as long as your entire body so you have to store it folded up like a pocketknife.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

SolTerrasa posted:

A sword twice as long as your entire body so you have to store it folded up like a pocketknife.

Not unprecedented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

See, I think this is a better example.

Bit out-of-genre, though.