Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Or sending your Spymaster to Constantinople and getting lucky once.

Twice. Which may happen immediately or never. The perk of scholarship focus is that it isn't subject to RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Volkerball posted:

got me that trade contract

What culture are you using for your republics?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

binge crotching posted:

What culture are you using for your republics?

Nubian. For these big sprawling empires, I like to use solely the light infantry and archer retinues. You get the most troops/cap that way, which helps to keep your vassals in check, since they don't care what type of troops they have, they only care how many. With Nubian, I can make those retinues somewhat not lovely by using the cultural buildings in my capitol barony, which is nice since I still use my retinues for all my wars like I would if I had an actually built retinue with a bunch of cav and poo poo. I just adapt my strategy by throwing a sea of men at everyone, supply limits and casualties be damned. I think I used Ethiopian last time because their cultural buildings are actually a bit better IIRC, but I wasn't too concerned with power gaming my culture this time. The only real important thing for culture/religion with republics is that you are either Khazar or an Israeli culture, and/or that you have Jewish religion, to gain access to Radhanite compound buildings in your trade posts. I'm gonna convert later in the game and then go through and build them all once I've conquered the entire silk road.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
What about if you have Ancestor Veneration as a pagan reformation, does it work the same way where you have to wait for an event?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Does Ancestor veneration work in the same way as the Christian Saint mechanic?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Broken Cog posted:

Does Ancestor veneration work in the same way as the Christian Saint mechanic?
Pretty much. Except there's only one kind of blessed pagan bloodline - get great warriors periodically.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Broken Cog posted:

Saint bloodlines can get kinda nutty. Just had my old man get canonized, and the bloodline bonus was +30% damage to enemies of the faith, +0.5 piety per month and a high chance of zealots joining your wars when you fight other religions.

The last ability seems to trigger all the time, too.

Goddamn, how do you get that one?? I’ve had really bad luck with bloodlines

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's no way for me to capture provinces without a claim? I can't just decide I want a somewhere, march by troops in and absorb it into my kingdom? Fabricate claims either takes forever or happens right away, or I can't use them because the place I have a claim on is not independent.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
My Prydain empire is squaring up to the mighty Umayyads now and our reconnaissance missions have reported something very disturbing. Half of the enemy have no heads! They wear headdresses, but there is a horrifying void where their faces should be. Is this
a) a new bug;
b) an old bug I've forgotten about; or
c) a terrifying new weapon?

e: ^^^There may be other options, it depends who you're playing as.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

twistedmentat posted:

There's no way for me to capture provinces without a claim? I can't just decide I want a somewhere, march by troops in and absorb it into my kingdom? Fabricate claims either takes forever or happens right away, or I can't use them because the place I have a claim on is not independent.

Claims are the normal way of doing it. You can either forge your own, or find someone that has a claim to it, bring them to your court, land them, and press their claim.

If they're of a different religion, some religions can use Holy Wars on your neighbours. Pagan religions can use Conquest CBs to invade neighbours of different faith. You can also use border disputes to invade your neighbour just because.

If the place isn't independent, you can still declare war for the county be declaring on their liege.

As for picking a random county not adjacent to you, some of the bigger CBs can do that, like great holy wars and whatnot, but otherwise you're pretty limited.

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Casus_Belli is a list of the CBs and how to use them.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

twistedmentat posted:

If the place you have a claim on is not independent, you just have to declare war on their liege, not the person directly. You can still go to war for it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Claims are the normal way of doing it. You can either forge your own, or find someone that has a claim to it, bring them to your court, land them, and press their claim.

If they're of a different religion, some religions can use Holy Wars on your neighbours. Pagan religions can use Conquest CBs to invade neighbours of different faith. You can also use border disputes to invade your neighbour just because.

If the place isn't independent, you can still declare war for the county be declaring on their liege.

As for picking a random county not adjacent to you, some of the bigger CBs can do that, like great holy wars and whatnot, but otherwise you're pretty limited.

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Casus_Belli is a list of the CBs and how to use them.

Ah great. I remember in My England game, as William I was able to just steamroll all the Saxon and Norse Kingdoms that were on the island becuase of, well being William the Conqueror. This is a bit more annoying because I can declare war on other states, I just can't take the territory, I can just install a new ruler. Maybe I should just let the rest of Ireland be conquered by Vikings and then go after them, because they'll be pagan.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

As a christian, no. Not in the base game. Holy wars you don't need a claim for, and there's a couple other CBs that don't need claims for like making a tributary, humiliation, and excommunication, and you can even get the Pope to sanction an invasion (which historically happened a lot in medieval Europe), but mostly you're forced to rely on claim schenanigans. If you do the find character function to find a good chancellor with high diplomacy who will come to your court, you can speed up the fabrication.

As you add DLCs, there's more options. Muslims get a casus beli for individual county conquests, and so do vikings. Tribals get subjugation and invasion. Republics get some kind of city conquest CB. Nomads get a whole host of options. Finally if you get Jade Empire, everybody gets CBs for border disputes and a couple other CBs and then you have a lot more latitude at that point.

I'm not sure how I feel about there being so much freedom, since I bought into the game as trying to carve out your own territory though some weird legal maneuvering. The After the End mod gives everybody access to all those extra non-christian CBs, which makes it way more hectic with everybody able to attack everybody else all the time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

twistedmentat posted:

Ah great. I remember in My England game, as William I was able to just steamroll all the Saxon and Norse Kingdoms that were on the island becuase of, well being William the Conqueror. This is a bit more annoying because I can declare war on other states, I just can't take the territory, I can just install a new ruler. Maybe I should just let the rest of Ireland be conquered by Vikings and then go after them, because they'll be pagan.

The pope can grant you claims on any Catholic duchy. He must like you quite a bit, and he mustn't like the target. It helps to have a lot of virtues (green traits) and few vices (red traits). You can send your court chaplain to Rome to increase a clergy member's opinion of you, which in the case of Rome naturally includes the pope. And you can send you chancellor to increase the opinion of a province's ruler, which in the case of Rome is again the pope. That's one of the ways to expand as a Catholic.

Only Buddhists and Jains have a harder time expanding (outside India that is) than Catholics.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Some weirdness in the game since the DLC, still catching up to the thread so other people might have mentioned these things.

I did the "Make the Byz Rome Again" thing and went apostate, making GBS threads all over the pope in the process. The next pope started putting together a crusade, and about 20 days before it's supposed to start, it just disappears without any message. A while later it happens again, and again, and it doesn't happen again.

Apparently, being unable to usurp kingdoms works all funky now. I can't usurp Romagna from the Ynglings who stole it roughly 200 years ago and got kicked out of Italy about 20 years later. The Ynglings have one province left on Iceland, and are sitting on three Kingdoms, and apparently no one can usurp those from them. Annoying.

And looks like India got a major boost or something, some dude unified most of India and controlled everything up to my border (in Mosul) before I got China to push his poo poo in.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Kemper Boyd posted:

Apparently, being unable to usurp kingdoms works all funky now. I can't usurp Romagna from the Ynglings who stole it roughly 200 years ago and got kicked out of Italy about 20 years later. The Ynglings have one province left on Iceland, and are sitting on three Kingdoms, and apparently no one can usurp those from them. Annoying.
Yeah, if you're going to play byzantine or rome, you really want to turn on the game rule that eventually strips away kingdoms from people who hold none of their de-jure land.

In my rome game, I was resorting to using Alexander-bloodline invasions to utterly destroy the realms of people hoarding kingdom titles, because I didn't realize before I started that was going to be a problem.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 23, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kemper Boyd posted:

I did the "Make the Byz Rome Again" thing and went apostate, making GBS threads all over the pope in the process. The next pope started putting together a crusade, and about 20 days before it's supposed to start, it just disappears without any message. A while later it happens again, and again, and it doesn't happen again.

That's apparently a known bug. It shits all over Catholic MA, it's pretty dumb.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Anybody know what might prevent a plot from being carried out if you have plenty of plot power? I am the spymaster and regeant of a heretical duke with 300 plot power all by myself. But it’s been a year and I haven’t killed this brat yet.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
By the way, short new dev diary about bugs (that they found and fixed during development, not that are currently extant). Don't think it's been posted here yet, anyway.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Anybody know what might prevent a plot from being carried out if you have plenty of plot power? I am the spymaster and regeant of a heretical duke with 300 plot power all by myself. But it’s been a year and I haven’t killed this brat yet.
Have to wait for an event to fire.

In fact, you phrase that as though you're the only person in the plot - that could be slowing you down as well. Any member of the plot can fire the event kicking off an actual attempt, so all other things being equal (specifically, even with equal plot power), the more people you have involved in the plot, the sooner the murder should occur.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 23, 2018

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

My Prydain empire is squaring up to the mighty Umayyads now and our reconnaissance missions have reported something very disturbing. Half of the enemy have no heads! They wear headdresses, but there is a horrifying void where their faces should be. Is this
a) a new bug;
b) an old bug I've forgotten about; or
c) a terrifying new weapon?

e: ^^^There may be other options, it depends who you're playing as.

I had stuff like this happen because I forgot to turn off an old mod that adjusted the old vanilla portrait packs to look less potato. Maybe check if you've got one of those still on?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Torrannor posted:

The pope can grant you claims on any Catholic duchy. He must like you quite a bit, and he mustn't like the target. It helps to have a lot of virtues (green traits) and few vices (red traits). You can send your court chaplain to Rome to increase a clergy member's opinion of you, which in the case of Rome naturally includes the pope. And you can send you chancellor to increase the opinion of a province's ruler, which in the case of Rome is again the pope. That's one of the ways to expand as a Catholic.

Only Buddhists and Jains have a harder time expanding (outside India that is) than Catholics.

Time for me to make the Pope my BFF.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

twistedmentat posted:

The pope is also much more amenable to granting you a claim or sanctioning an invasion if the target is a child and especially if they're a toddler. (+25 acceptance if a child and +50 acceptance if they're a toddler) So stabbing through a line of succession until you get to a baby is a nice strategy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Most (all?) plots can't fire until there are at least three plotters. Invite more people.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also worth noting that every time you successfully request a claim you get a -20 opinion hit with the Pope that lasts long enough that it'll linger until the current Pope dies. So realistically you can only get a handful of claims before the Pope dislikes you enough to hand out more. This isn't a big deal if a 60+ year old gets elected, but with younger ones make sure you really pick the claims you want because after a couple it'll be a while before you can realistically get more.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pakled posted:

The pope is also much more amenable to granting you a claim or sanctioning an invasion if the target is a child and especially if they're a toddler. (+25 acceptance if a child and +50 acceptance if they're a toddler) So stabbing through a line of succession until you get to a baby is a nice strategy.

That reminds me of the time a vassal rebelled, after their defeat, I executed him, then betrothed his daughter to my son and heir. That's some game of thrones stuff, but I'm sure that's pretty basic for what you can do later.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

twistedmentat posted:

That reminds me of the time a vassal rebelled, after their defeat, I executed him, then betrothed his daughter to my son and heir. That's some game of thrones stuff, but I'm sure that's pretty basic for what you can do later.

We have such sights to show you...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, if you aren't plotting to murder somebody basically all the time then you're Doing It Wrong. If wiping out literally an entire dynasty and everybody even tangentially related to them benefits you in some way then it's time to sharpen the knives.

Though I'm really tempted to make a "never murder anybody" challenge game. Mind, it doesn't count as murder if it happens in combat or an honorable duel. Or if they do something wrong and just happen to find their way into the oubliette.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I've killed every singe member of the Abbassids in three different playthroughs. And by the time I can begin this, they usually have around at least 100 living family members. But the Caliphate rightfully belongs to the Umayyads, and they had to pay for usurping it! :argh:

Edit: Also, if you don't seduce your son's wife, and then father a child with her, that your son thinks is his, your doing it wrong.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Torrannor posted:

In my Byz game I noticed that Basileios' dad is sitting around in court, with bad stats and no usefulness, cramping my style. So I sold off my dad to China.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Be sure to seduce the Pope if possible. Along with the standard opinion boost, being his lover also gets a you separate large bonus on the Pope's consideration of granting you a claim.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Kemper Boyd posted:

In my Byz game I noticed that Basileios' dad is sitting around in court, with bad stats and no usefulness, cramping my style. So I sold off my dad to China.

Did he came pre-castrated?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gobblecoque posted:

Be sure to seduce the Pope if possible. Along with the standard opinion boost, being his lover also gets a you separate large bonus on the Pope's consideration of granting you a claim.

I keep antagonising the pope to make him my rival and then try to duel him, but he always chickens out. The caliph at least comes out to play when I do that to him.

Since Christians are basically non entities in my game, the Abassids are the biggest threat right now. They've been super stable all game and murdering Caliphs in honourable one on one combat doesn't seem to affect that.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can start destabilising their realm?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I keep antagonising the pope to make him my rival and then try to duel him, but he always chickens out. The caliph at least comes out to play when I do that to him.

Since Christians are basically non entities in my game, the Abassids are the biggest threat right now. They've been super stable all game and murdering Caliphs in honourable one on one combat doesn't seem to affect that.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can start destabilising their realm?

Kowtow to the emperor and let the Chinese dismantle their realm.

To be serious, it can be worthwhile to send you chancellor to sow discord if the Caliph has powerful king level vassals (Egypt for example).

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

What happens if you sic the Chinese on England? Do they manifest boats?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So uh is Tribal kinslayer a new trait or did I just never noticed it before? Because its kinda silly. (- 5 general opinion, + 15 sex appeal)

Apparently murdering my baby nephew makes me super hot?

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 23, 2018

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I got into Paradox games through Stellaris and I was hoping to try Crusader Kings 2 and get started during the Steam winter sale. From watching a couple let's plays I think I'd most enjoy the role playing and being a character in history aspects of the game so I think the two DLCs I really need are Conclave and Way of Life. Does anybody recommend and the other essential DLCs for somebody just starting out?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yadoppsi posted:

I got into Paradox games through Stellaris and I was hoping to try Crusader Kings 2 and get started during the Steam winter sale. From watching a couple let's plays I think I'd most enjoy the role playing and being a character in history aspects of the game so I think the two DLCs I really need are Conclave and Way of Life. Does anybody recommend and the other essential DLCs for somebody just starting out?

Monks and Mystics and Holy Fury add a lot of role-playing options. I personally like Sons of Abraham, but it's not as feature rich as some of the other DLCs. Charlemagne contains a little campaign story (about Charlemagne), so that might be fun too.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Lt. Lizard posted:

So uh is Tribal kinslayer a new trait or did I just never noticed it before? Because its kinda silly. (- 5 general opinion, + 15 sex appeal)

Apparently murdering my baby nephew makes me super hot?

Hey, people love bad boys and mean girls.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Killing a child or baby really should have a negative modifier of its own.

Which is a sentence I will probably never need to write again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, if you aren't plotting to murder somebody basically all the time then you're Doing It Wrong. If wiping out literally an entire dynasty and everybody even tangentially related to them benefits you in some way then it's time to sharpen the knives.

Though I'm really tempted to make a "never murder anybody" challenge game. Mind, it doesn't count as murder if it happens in combat or an honorable duel. Or if they do something wrong and just happen to find their way into the oubliette.

Yea that's basically my plan now. I if I cannot gain the throne of Ireland through pitched battles, a knife in the dark will suffice.

Or bears, or burning at the stake, or stoning.

There are many interesting executions in this game.