Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

Hiking is pretty fun but it's not something I can do that often

Hoard out your house and live like a goat on a rocky cliffside at all times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

exquisite tea posted:

Immaterial rewards are stupid, I want GREEN NUMBERS and I want them to go UP UP UP!!

Yeah, game rewards have never really been a thing, but it's been slung at botw as is if heart pieces in every game were better. Korok seeds gave you a better inventory and the shrines gave you the ability to survive longer.

Even in aco, armor lasts maybe an hour before someone drops something marginally better, which is why they added the transmog, they were forcing people to wear dumb looking poo poo to be strong.

Serious question, what is a "great" in game reward?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

Hiking is pretty fun but it's not something I can do that often

One of the very few good things about living in Knoxville is that awesome mountains are literally all around me. I go at least once a week, even/especially in winter.

And in summer there's tubing which is better than any video game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah, game rewards have never really been a thing, but it's been slung at botw as is if heart pieces in every game were better. Korok seeds gave you a better inventory and the shrines gave you the ability to survive longer.

Even in aco, armor lasts maybe an hour before someone drops something marginally better, which is why they added the transmog, they were forcing people to wear dumb looking poo poo to be strong.

:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Seriously look at all those affixes. If that doesn't get you misty in the groin I don't know what will.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

Heart pieces are way better.
No loading into a shrine alone is enough evidence of that

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

a double jump

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like it when a game splashes all the level up bonuses on screen when you kill a boss like Kingdom Hearts

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

a double jump

I really missed ability progression in botw. I get why they didnt have it but not getting any revelatory powers after the opening of the game was whack

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

bushisms.txt posted:

Neon Pink armor. Unlockable suplexes. New Game+ options that drastically change the game/enemy dynamic. Final Fantasy OSTs. Spinning rims. Mustaches.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played Black Flag but my impression of why it was so loved was it went back to the norm after no one liked 3, it was more fun and silly then series was and the ship combat was cool but I think it was still supposed to be a AC game so if you don't like those it probably won't win you over

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Getting an assault rifle in Tomb Raider was pretty great

I love that the first thing she does in Shadow is put on a death mask

I don't love that they didn't fix the camera controls being very unresponsive with no menu option to turn the sensitivity up

Also I'm sitting in a Wendy's and they have a pretty great radio bc I just heard Queen, REM and Talking Heads in a row.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

axelblaze posted:

I haven't played Black Flag but my impression of why it was so loved was it went back to the norm after no one liked 3, it was more fun and silly then series was and the ship combat was cool but I think it was still supposed to be a AC game so if you don't like those it probably won't win you over

Black Flag was the first AC game I ever played and I liked it well enough, the protagonist wasn't a total bore and the naval combat was all right. But it was just kind of generically "all right," which honestly is what Ubisoft shoots for most of the time. I might have even finished it if uplay didn't eat my cloud save at some point. :argh:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

I really missed ability progression in botw. I get why they didnt have it but not getting any revelatory powers after the opening of the game was whack

The magic bird jump was pretty revelatory

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah those powers were welcome but dont really unlock anything for you like a double jump does in a metroid prime

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

bushisms.txt posted:

New costumes that have no affect on the gameplay, so I don't feel like I'm losing 3% good exp or whatever for not wearing it. A new weapon type, not just a better sword but something with a new moveset.

E: New Game+ that remixes some part of the game is the best reward.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 23, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

When I think of 3D Zeldas OoT is just infinitely more replayable. It's like reading The Hobbit compared to any of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, it's just perfectly paced from beginning to end with little fat or annoying diversions and the 3DS version fixing up all the N64's limitations makes it the perfect pick-up-and-play game.

Majora's Mask I never want to replay, even knowing what to do I just want to keep the highlights in my head and forget about all the loops you have to go through to actually reach to the good stuff. Wind Waker also good but again it's like a couple of standout moments in between a lot of padding. Breath of the Wild left a strong imprint and maybe I'll play hard mode whenever Nintendo announces the next mainline Zelda but I've seen everything and don't want to casually replay 80 hours again without a major shakeup. Playing through Twilight Princess HD now which is not as bad as people let on it's just not very remarkable? I really like the dungeons and stuff but the padding is really apparent and it's also not a game I would want to replay.

Kind of dreading getting to Skyward Sword, a game I purchased on release day and quit before the first dungeon and never thought about picking back up ever.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah, game rewards have never really been a thing, but it's been slung at botw as is if heart pieces in every game were better.

This sentence confuses me got how weirdly wrong it is. Like, gamers have complained about underwhelming rewards at least since the 32/64 bit era, probably much earlier, it's just that Mario 64 was the first time I remember widespread complaining about how underwhelming a reward was.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Went to go Black Friday shopping with the family. Finally got Breath of the Wild on Switch, along with the new Atelier game for the wife, and that Gundam build game for my nephew who wants Master kits and already has bad taste in games so hopefully he can use this to make his Unicorn/Hyaku-Shiki hybrid of his dreams.

Also, got a family member a new super-cheap laptop because her 10-year old model busted and she'd been on a friends Mac from 2007. Going to gift her undertale.

And one last gift, a NES classic from an old family friend. She loves it, has been playing Final Fantasy non-stop, stuck on the Marsh Cave now.

The pain in my account is balanced by the joy I'm giving out. All things become equal. All is well.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Proper game rewards are new game modes, remixes of existing ones, semi-cheats and outright cheats, New Game+, debug options, and alternate story lines.

Thus, most games don’t really bother to reward you these days.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

axelblaze posted:

This sentence confuses me got how weirdly wrong it is. Like, gamers have complained about underwhelming rewards at least since the 32/64 bit era, probably much earlier, it's just that Mario 64 was the first time I remember widespread complaining about how underwhelming a reward was.
I like the responses like new game + as rewards because most in game item rewards are superflous. Like even a super duper weapon in diablo, once you change builds, you might never use it again.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I rarely replay games so NG+ usually feels kind of worthless to me unless they actually do something interesting with it (which is rare)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The best unlock is new characters

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Help Im Alive posted:

Tofu wants to stab some zombies in the face.

Either new characters, or outfits that change the dynamic. RE4 with the Mobster suit, giving you an infinite ammo Chicago Typewriter to funk up every enemy, and Ashley's armor suit to make every attack a bell chime, and also break some fools backs when they try to lift her up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I always liked what Naughty Dog did where rewards are poo poo that make the game goofier to replay like no-gravity, fat mode, and a bunch of filters. General in-game rewards I prefer the Tales series method of giving you cosmetics but if you choose Tales also lets you replay and buy cheats and stuff.

e: Yeah, Resident Evil may be consistently the best series with post-game content.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Help Im Alive posted:

I hope you are looking forward to Smash Bros.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the best reward is new game+

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

if I saw a mountain in real life I'd probably freak out

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bob ross went to alaska and saw mountains and it enlightened him

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i'm not sure I could sacrifice a bit of my finger for that

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Mountains are wonderful to look at. gently caress going near them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"Immanuel Kant, [i posted:

Critique of Judgement[/i]" post="490100859"]
if I saw a mountain in real life I'd probably freak out

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm strongly considering picking up Hitman 2016 after the conversation this morning. It looks like I can get the Defninitive Edition physical for pretty cheap, does anyone know for sure I'll be able to use my save from the digital free trial I played this summer? This is on PS4. All the different versions and episodic stuff is a bit confusing so I want to get the most complete version possible, but I don't wanna have to redo the tutorial stuff.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Debug, cheats, NG+, and new characters or gameplay-altering changes are good, but I also like stuff like developer rooms and dev commentary.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Debugs I can understand why they took those out. That would be a pain in the rear end to test and bug with something that is delibrately a bug and would cause issues. :v:

I do very much like NG plus games. Or costume unlocks. It's kinda why I liked God of War 2 alot. You had the COD of war (Kratos in just a silly fish costume) or my favorite one, going around as Athena. Bonus when Kratos says ATHENA YOU DARE BETRAY ME, just makes it look like he's a lunatic.

Thanksgiving was great, but boy my pothead cousin can be an rear end in a top hat sometimes. Yes I get it I"m a bit fat, dont' have to point it out everytime though. Kinda why I'm also getting out of QA to get back in shape. Sitting on my rear end all day really did numbers on me.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 23, 2018

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm strongly considering picking up Hitman 2016 after the conversation this morning. It looks like I can get the Defninitive Edition physical for pretty cheap, does anyone know for sure I'll be able to use my save from the digital free trial I played this summer? This is on PS4. All the different versions and episodic stuff is a bit confusing so I want to get the most complete version possible, but I don't wanna have to redo the tutorial stuff.

The game doesn't lock you into any level. Season 1/2016 MIGHT make you do the tutorial level. Season 2/2018 gives you an option to skip.

SO

As soon as you register Hitman Season 1 to your account, you can immediately download the prologue level for 2018/season 2 for free, and play the entire 2016 game in the new engine forever.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i like ng+ when its more than just a straight numbers increase or whatever. dark souls 2(i think? maybe it was 3?) added bosses and enemies and poo poo which made it pretty fun

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I know that you could play the 2016 levels in the new client but are there actual gameplay modifications because of it?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I know that you could play the 2016 levels in the new client but are there actual gameplay modifications because of it?

A few. It plays identically with some graphic enhancements, and adds some new if minor mechanics like functional mirrors that can spoil you sneaking up on someone in the bathroom and shrubbery+crowds stealth you like tall grass in HZD/AssCreed. And they reintroduced the briefcase in season 2 which you can use in every s1 level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

yeah, a few. they added cover foilage to a few of the maps, and people can see you in mirrors now though that's not really a huge problem on the 2016 maps. some NPCs in the most trafficked areas are slightly remixed also

• Locked thread