Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

RodShaft posted:

I loved the Minifigures packs you could order from the back of Lego catalogues as a kid. I loved getting them and the printed accessories sets almost as much as the one big set I'd get a year. I only ever got one or two of each but I always flipped to the back of the catalogues to check them out.

I remember getting the robot on the far right there with one of those kits back in the 80's and I had more fun with it than the rest of the set

Vintersorg posted:

Have they just given up on the SW sets? Yuck.

There hasn't been anything really good in a year or two.

To be fair you can only makeover an X-Wing so many times
I almost feel bad for the Y-Wings selling for 20 bucks less. Poor, neglected, unloved Y-Wings, I'll give you a home.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
There's a few things I think Lego could make that SW nerds would eat up, it baffles me why they haven't yet: updated TIE Interceptor and TIE Bomber, UCS A-Wing and more podracers.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
F40 and mclaren senna leaked for speed champions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't care about Star Wars, but I would buy some pod racers if they made something besides Anakin's pod racer. I'd buy Aldar Beedo's pod, or Fud Sang's.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

There's a few things I think Lego could make that SW nerds would eat up, it baffles me why they haven't yet: updated TIE Interceptor and TIE Bomber, UCS A-Wing and more podracers.

The TIE thing is baffling because they’ve done a billion System-scale vanilla TIEs.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I don't care about Star Wars, but I would buy some pod racers if they made something besides Anakin's pod racer. I'd buy Aldar Beedo's pod, or Fud Sang's.

Yeah, the last time they made a pod that wasn't either Anakin's or Sebulba's was 2001. One thing I loved about the podracers was how colourful they were. Most SW is grey or brown and it's so boring.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The TIE thing is baffling because they’ve done a billion System-scale vanilla TIEs.

Seriously I need a drat TIE/i. It’s only gotten worse since they got real close with Kylo’s TIE.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

It really is weird because I feel like these are the number one thing on seemingly everyone's wish list and they just don't make them (personally dont care about pod racers but it's still weird how long it's been since they've done one)

I'd also really like to see a new Tantive iv, some Bantha big figs and a new B wing as an apology for the last one.

SocketWrench posted:

To be fair you can only makeover an X-Wing so many times
I almost feel bad for the Y-Wings selling for 20 bucks less. Poor, neglected, unloved Y-Wings, I'll give you a home.

The current Y wing has been in production so long I can't tell if it sold great or so poorly that they can't get rid of them. poo poo, it came out the same time as the A wing which was gone within 6 months and the Y wing has been on shelves for like 2 years. It's a great set too.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Podracers suck because 2001 was when my love for both Star Wars and LEGO started to die. I'm traumatized. #7171 was the last time I got a LEGO set for my birthday.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Bantha big figs

Yeah, that would be cool too. There's Lego rancors, dewbacks and tauntauns, so why not a bantha?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FBS posted:

Podracers suck because 2001 was when my love for both Star Wars and LEGO started to die. I'm traumatized. #7171 was the last time I got a LEGO set for my birthday.

Don't take it out on pod racing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They should make one of those "premium" sets( or whatever they are calling expensive star wars sets that aren't UCS ala cloud city ) with all 4 versions of the tie fighter, done to the same scale and quality of the Solo Tie Fighter. Then throw in some extra named imperial officer figs or something to sweeten the deal. Charge like $200-$220 for it. I think that would nail the target market for that.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dogen posted:

Next wave of Star Wars sets

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018/11/22/lego-star-wars-lineup-for-the-first-half-of-2019-revealed-news/

Woke: mini dewback
Broke: two unpopular ep3 vehicles, one of which looks exactly the same, with the same figs

That dewback set. :aaa:

And why are there starwars sets for 4 year Olds. Aren't the movies rated above those age groups?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Darth TNT posted:

That dewback set. :aaa:

And why are there starwars sets for 4 year Olds. Aren't the movies rated above those age groups?

The advertising reaches kids even if they are too young for it. It's everywhere, and they know the characters well before they are old enough to watch the movies. Toys sell to the kids and the parents at the same time, and star wars is a great way to do it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was browsing for an extra cheap AT-ST for parts to work on an MOC version and ran into this. It make me chuckle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Star-Wars-AT-ST-7657/163392181071?epid=79898169&hash=item260aeed34f:g:8PYAAOSwISRadjWj:rk:35:pf:0

:baby:

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Ucs slave 1 for 180$, best price out there? 30% off fishing store tomorrow also.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
SaturnV $95 with free from shipping a Walmart, fyi.

NickThorn
Jan 11, 2005

I'm fucking wild about KEYKEYs.

veni veni veni posted:

Was browsing for an extra cheap AT-ST for parts to work on an MOC version and ran into this. It make me chuckle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Star-Wars-AT-ST-7657/163392181071?epid=79898169&hash=item260aeed34f:g:8PYAAOSwISRadjWj:rk:35:pf:0

:baby:

It just looks so surprised.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I bought the Winter Fire Station yesterday, and got the gift, plus a penguin and skis. I haven’t opened any of them yet, but I think the xmas gift set is better than the firehouse.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Captain Invictus posted:

grab a mega core magnetizer off bricklink or ebay. it's a fantastic set even today, and just looks great all around built up normally.

I could do that. But then I'd be admitting that I'd never get the chance to recieve and unwrap it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/picturesfoider/status/1066418098343940097

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/JenLucPiquant/status/1066550302680084480

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

SCIENCE!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Arse Technica.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The_Doctor posted:

Arse Technica.

Nice.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
"LEGOs" just like the thread title

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Scipiotik posted:

F40 and mclaren senna leaked for speed champions.
Camaro ZL1 and that absurd Mini thing also. Interesting fenders on the Mini and wheel covers / imitation slicks? on the Camaro.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Oh sure, it's science when THEY do it

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
I think I may have passed the point of no return on this whole AFOL thing. You know the brick and cylinder round tower thing? This:

I've never found one that lines up with studs at the top, bottom, and sides near the size I want for a castle tower. So...I made a spreadsheet. That used trigonometry. I'm not proud of what I've done.

It uses 1x4s at the top, bottom, left, and right sides, and it alternates 1x4 and 1x6 around, 10 bricks per quarter, 9 degree bend per joint. It gets within a tenth of a stud, which is close enough for LDD to say "gently caress it, close enough".

Then, because the brick-cylinder look is kind of played out, I clad the outside of it with SNOT:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That's neat.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

That's neat.

Thanks. Spiral staircase is anchored to the wall, two plates tall per step, with top of it smooth tiles so they can overlap.

Inner wall of the tower is just going to be a jaggy studs-up circle that's thick enough for the inner side of the staircase steps to be supported on tiles but still have at least one stud width of proper connected wall, which will be the actual load bearing structure.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Have you seen the gently caress-off huge Hogwarts? There are some big-rear end round towers that are impressive. The SNOTs on the outside that you have designed look cooler, it would close things up tighter and light would pass through less. Plus you could use other pieces, like clips and vines to put stuff on the side.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Sexual Lorax posted:

I've never found one that lines up with studs at the top, bottom, and sides near the size I want for a castle tower. So...I made a spreadsheet. That used trigonometry. I'm not proud of what I've done.

Finally, teachers have an answer for teenagers that ask when they'll ever use advanced math in their adult lives.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
UCS Slave 1 is $140 on Amazon. Joker’s Manor also 33% off.

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010
So I have a problem with an order I submitted for Brick Bank and Detective Office.

When I ordered them, they had just moved to retiring, and were on back order. The emails from the store showed them as present and waiting to be shipped.

I log in this morning to take a look on when they might be due, and see that the Detective Office order has now been cancelled. I've not had any notification from them.

Anyone experienced this before? Is there any point trying to chase them up or am I just going to be out of luck?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kafila posted:

So I have a problem with an order I submitted for Brick Bank and Detective Office.

When I ordered them, they had just moved to retiring, and were on back order. The emails from the store showed them as present and waiting to be shipped.

I log in this morning to take a look on when they might be due, and see that the Detective Office order has now been cancelled. I've not had any notification from them.

Anyone experienced this before? Is there any point trying to chase them up or am I just going to be out of luck?

Why would you not chase it up? Email them, explain. Lego have really good customer service.

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Why would you not chase it up? Email them, explain. Lego have really good customer service.

Have done that - was just interested in what other people's experiences of similar situations were / what my expectations should realistically be?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Kafila posted:

Have done that - was just interested in what other people's experiences of similar situations were / what my expectations should realistically be?

They'll probably find one for you somehow. otherwise i imagine they'll give you something for your trouble.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
A local store has a Lego set on clearance that is labeled as "missing pieces", would it be wrong for me to buy it in hopes that I could call up Lego and ask for the missing pieces? I'm pretty sure I would be an rear end in a top hat for doing that, I'm still kinda tempted by it just to get some random pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

A local store has a Lego set on clearance that is labeled as "missing pieces", would it be wrong for me to buy it in hopes that I could call up Lego and ask for the missing pieces? I'm pretty sure I would be an rear end in a top hat for doing that, I'm still kinda tempted by it just to get some random pieces.

You do you, but that's leaning on Lego customer service for something they didn't gently caress up. The more people who take advantage of something, the less of that something there is to go around, broadly speaking.