Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Which map is the 'best' in goon opinions.
Well that depends on what you're using them for.

The Island is a great introduction to the game. It has a balance and a decent variety of environments. Plus the very basic storyline.

The Center is a great map for water adventures. Balance is kinda iffy though.

Ragnarok has the greatest variety of environments and creatures.

All the maps feel a bit empty and act more like setpieces for multiplayer action. Haven't tried Aberration or Extinction since I couldn't give a poo poo about Tek tier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
Ok, just because I wasn't sure if I was crazy or not, I took some screenshots on the map just now to see how empty the forest area is. Spoiler'd just in case:

Most areas are variations of that, but there's also a huge area that starts off to the left of that first image above:

That's all one area and it runs all the way to the surface - and there are zero spawns past the lowest section, basically no resources, and completely flat.

There's also a river that runs the length of the forest underground and it's empty save a few beavers - though there was a massive overpopulation bug there in the beginning (not my picture):

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm still not a fan of not having flyers or even just open sky, but I'm not really opposed to switching to Abberation (or even Scorched Earth now that I have the season pass) if people would prefer that, and would bring in some more people.

Maybe with a few patches Extinction would live up to its promise?

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I'm still not a fan of not having flyers or even just open sky, but I'm not really opposed to switching to Abberation (or even Scorched Earth now that I have the season pass) if people would prefer that, and would bring in some more people.

Maybe with a few patches Extinction would live up to its promise?

I mean, I should say that there are some sort-of flying things in Aberration, and the ceiling is incredibly high up. But, that does remind me of one - spoilery - bit about Extinction that threw me off initially:

The sun is fixed in place in the over-world map - I think the idea is that the moon got blown up and the Earth lost its rotation. The moon does cross the sky and will create eclipses, but it's permanently daytime. The exception to this is in the two bio-domes: the desert and the tundra, which do have day/night cycle and actually look quite cool.

Aberration is essentially underground, but it does have a day/night cycle which are variable in length (this plays into a few mechanics later on). This can lead to one of the best status effects in the game:

Sunlight

As for living up to its promise: I don't think they've promised any additions past what they released. It's not like Ragnarok where they said they were working on it in chunks. I get the feeling that Extinction is designed entirely to be sort of a medium PvP zone - closer to a Deathmatch map than anything else.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:laffo: that is a ton of beavers!

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Extinction poo poo:

You still have day and night in Extinction, its just barely visible as being darker with longer shadows. Dinos with night buffs still work the same. Night is from 20:20 till 5:20.

It seems like it's not nearly finished though. Besides the vast open spaces and weird spawns, it's not nearly dangerous enough or balanced to be end-game territory.

Like at least as huge as Rag is it doesn't feel dead or empty as soon as you get a flier.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Finally got a strat for Wyverns.
I have a behemoth gateway trap with some pillars in the front, plus two 90' gates at the back set to open with a keypad to block the exit.
Go into the caverns and whip up as many nests as I can before eating aggression from wyverns, then kite them back into the trap for milking /killing.
98%of the time I get an egg that insta spoils, but I have have managed to whip up a couple of low level fire eggs with some semblance of spoil timer remaining.
I'm ignoring the lvl28 for now, but the 84 is hatched and growing away nicely.
I've also tamed a number of decent pteras for breeding and sacrificing to steal eggs.
No more using my best pteras. lovely stats breedlings only.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Abberation is by far the most fun map, except those loving Perlovias or whatever that knock you off a lot of mounts. That said megas are awesome tames for that map because they always have their nighttime buff. Plus the blue zone is hands down one of the most scenic and beautiful landscapes I've ever seen in a game. It's so scifi. The only thing I haven't gotten before on Abb was a Reaper, the process to get one didn't juve with my schedule. Plus it's legit scary as poo poo down there.

Also Rock Drakes are cool as gently caress and can fly for insanely long times between rocks, so I never truly felt the loss of flyers, especially after the flyer nerf.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Man I'm trying to connect to my friends ark server and it's so loving frustrating. Ark just randomly locks up half the time and when it works it still takes 20 minutes to connect.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I loved almost everything about Aberration. I should really load it back up. Any idea what the server setting would be to turn off Nameless? Is that even possible? The whole light/nameless mechanic was the only big thing I hated about it.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Doom Rooster posted:

I loved almost everything about Aberration. I should really load it back up. Any idea what the server setting would be to turn off Nameless? Is that even possible? The whole light/nameless mechanic was the only big thing I hated about it.

But you need Nameless to tame a Reaper. Plus they aren't that bad because shiny goats and poo poo

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Thronde posted:

But you need Nameless to tame a Reaper. Plus they aren't that bad because shiny goats and poo poo

Yeah, they're even easier when you realize you can use the "Light!" emote to turn the light pets on your shoulder on/off even while mounted. Also, the Charge Lantern and a friend/dino just shreds them in droves.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

So the 90' gate and keypad trick works a treat, and has helped me clear out the old Wyvern spawns in the NE and whip up the majority of the old spoiler timer problem eggs.
The eggs still are not visible, so it's a gamble each time I go for an egg. Lucked in with a 266 poison, wish it was fire or lightning but should suffice once he's cooked. :sun:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does Yagrum's have Ice Wyverns or no?

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

Thronde posted:

Does Yagrum's have Ice Wyverns or no?

It does. One almost froze my rear end permanently the first time i visited the server.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So how hard is it to get a dragon? I've read the guides and they make it sound really, really involved. Getting the egg seems like the easiest part, and getting it to the right temprature also seems pretty easy with air conditioners. Its the capturing a drake to milk it that confuses the hell out of me.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

twistedmentat posted:

So how hard is it to get a dragon? I've read the guides and they make it sound really, really involved. Getting the egg seems like the easiest part, and getting it to the right temprature also seems pretty easy with air conditioners. Its the capturing a drake to milk it that confuses the hell out of me.

IIRC it works like taming anything else. Build a big funnel with a gate at one side, trap inside as if you were going to tame it, steal milk from it instead.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
So moving some dinos on a barge made my giga spaz out and my Bary apparently fall off while loaded down with stuff, Toxic is there anyway you could Admin track her down?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Thronde posted:

So moving some dinos on a barge made my giga spaz out and my Bary apparently fall off while loaded down with stuff, Toxic is there anyway you could Admin track her down?

I can superman around looking for them, but sadly there are no codes for summoning tames (sorry the 30 dodos stuck in my foundations)...have you tried zooming around the area and just mashing "t"? :f5:

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I can superman around looking for them, but sadly there are no codes for summoning tames (sorry the 30 dodos stuck in my foundations)...have you tried zooming around the area and just mashing "t"? :f5:

The best luck I've had in the past searching for wayward dinos was using this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=924933745

It's got some INI configurations you can put in to limit use/access.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

We both retraced the route and no luck, I was on a bird though and I wonder if the Bary didn't just sink. Really I just need coords, I'll go down and get the damned thing lol.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Its not overly hard.
Stealing the egg is the easy part. Getting away from the mother that chases you is a little more tricky.
We have a trap set up so you kite the angry into it after the theft, and milk/kill. It's then just a case of keeping it topped up with milk in the inventory. Wyverns drink milk until full grown, and they will only take it from inventory, not from a trough.
Milking Wyverns is as simple as knocking a female out and taking the milk out of its inventory.
Next time you are online at the same time as Thronde or I we can show you our setup.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'll be on tomorrow in the afternoon my time so maybe I'll catch you on.

Extinction has stuffing Dinos, I want to go there.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

I'll be on tomorrow in the afternoon my time so maybe I'll catch you on.

Extinction has stuffing Dinos, I want to go there.

Oh man! I didn’t think there would be a new episode this week, but they’re diving right into Extinction!

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Thanks to whoever posted about the whipping eggs thing, no eggs are showing on my server but our allies now have a wyvern.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 26, 2018

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

Anybody got an Aberration server going? That was the one expansion that I never got real far in, but it was probably because I was trying to do too much solo. Would love to get eaten by ravagers with some goons! :cheers:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oh man! I didn’t think there would be a new episode this week, but they’re diving right into Extinction!

The Extinction stuff has been pretty good so far. I really like the location they chose for their new base.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

The Extinction stuff has been pretty good so far. I really like the location they chose for their new base.

I want a gasbag... :stwoon:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I want a gasbag... :stwoon:

Yea that thing was super cool.

I love every Abberation is their last video.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've been playing on a Defiance Abberation server, turns out they're clustered to a server of every other map, some which I've never done. It's cool being able to bring wyverns and poo poo to Abb. And Drakes to Extinction, where they're super handy with the verticalness of that map too.

How hard is it to cluster servers like that?

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

Thronde posted:

It's not really that hard if you are familiar with running a server. I run 3 maps you can transfer between on the same server. You need the same -clusterid=Example for all and -NoTransferFromFiltering so you only can transfer between the same clusterid. And a different "AltSaveDirectoryName" for all if you are running the maps on the same server.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Thronde posted:

I've been playing on a Defiance Abberation server, turns out they're clustered to a server of every other map, some which I've never done. It's cool being able to bring wyverns and poo poo to Abb. And Drakes to Extinction, where they're super handy with the verticalness of that map too.

Most of the web-hosting services will do it for. Survival Servers offers clustering with a discount, I believe.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Clusters sound good in theory. However I've found that just takin all your high level poo poo to a new map feels utterly pointless. The whole point of the map is that you're supposed to 'conquer' it, coming in with something like a wyvern to Abberation means the map comes pre-conquered. Without the danger and the struggle the game becomes a "look at things" simulator.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Well, this is a nice hatchery/nursery. I just don't know how he keeps the wild dinos from attacking the structures he builds though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXd5rejJ4ug

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008
New game from Wildcard is a survival pirate MMO:

Atlas: 40,000 concurrent players per "Globe" which is vaguely "1200x larger than Ark".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ObI3AWabGM

More info: https://store.steampowered.com/app/834910/ATLAS/

Game will be out on Early Access next week on the 13th.

j5mello fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 8, 2018

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What’s the best Dino to get metal? I tried using a doedicurus but every time I smashed a rock outcrop all I got was stone.

Also is there a way to transport slower moving dinosaurs like the doedicurus around?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

What’s the best Dino to get metal? I tried using a doedicurus but every time I smashed a rock outcrop all I got was stone.

Also is there a way to transport slower moving dinosaurs like the doedicurus around?

I think you can grab doeds with birds or griffins.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I think you can grab doeds with birds or griffins.

Nice thanks, you don’t happen to know why I was only getting stone and no metal with the does, by chance?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Nice thanks, you don’t happen to know why I was only getting stone and no metal with the does, by chance?

Were you going after regular rocks, or the gold ones? The gold-looking ones are mostly metal, try them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Doedicarus is the stone gatherer. For metal you want an ankylosaurus I think