Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
this is gonna sound crazy but were i to enter a monastic life the last thing i'd want is to be around a homogenous group of computer touchers

then again as long as we never talk about it outside of practical necessity that's probably fine

remember: 'right speech' means never talking about bitcoins or teslas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
imagine living a life of monastic study, memorizing quotes from ESR and using them to describe the beauty of a rose. group meals taken in silence except for one brother reading the text of the GNU GPL. hard labor to enrich the body. no computers anywhere, the most complex device is the water clock in the bell tower

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
we could spend decades making an arithmetic logic unit out of finely crafted water wheels, buckets, levers, and pulleys.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
a canticle for stallman

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

we could spend decades making an arithmetic logic unit out of finely crafted water wheels, buckets, levers, and pulleys.

NO computers in the yospos monastery

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think someone in my neighborhood found the petite bourgeois way out -- they set up their ~wanderlust~ van and then left and rented their house out

exploiting the bay housing crisis and being a rent-seeker to support your insta-lifstyle :whatup:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i like to think that discerning thieves look at cars with instagram and twitter icons/names emblazoned on them with something about their wanderlust journey like 'this probably has some decent poo poo to steal in it'

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the fact you can get stickers to put on the windows of your wanderlust chariot or ~sweet ride~ with your insta handle is a pretty good reification of the whole concept of these things

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it's gross, op

*walks into party* (work w/me here)
*sees chalkboard with #instatags*
hii welcome 2 whatevervent the tag for this party is #somedumbshit like and subscribe!!!

what horrible garbage

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it's gross, op

*walks into party* (work w/me here)
*sees chalkboard with #instatags*
hii welcome 2 whatevervent the tag for this party is #somedumbshit like and subscribe!!!

what horrible garbage

i would upload and tag goatse

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

SO DEMANDING posted:

i would upload and tag goatse

#wanderinggoatman

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the noble eightbit path

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

NO computers in the yospos monastery

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

but plenty of wine

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

yospos monastery burned to the ground killing all inside due to a dispute that arose when someone brewed an amber ale

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i'm thinking about rejoining tech after the winter cos while it's cool and fun being a semiemployed mountain man the pay loving sucks. also today was the last sunset of the year, it's not getting back above the horizon for the next two months. had some nice views recently though, once the snow arrives properly i've got lots of ski tours planned

Silver Alicorn posted:

but plenty of wine
i've been making my own beer and wine recently and that part is very good. been drinknig a nice american style pale and just bottled a spiced christmas beer yesterday, stout is taking longer than expected but quietly fermenting away. wine has to age a lot longer and i've got a few different ones that'll be ready some time next year, but i made a blaand (milk wine) that was drinkable in about 2 months and the bottles i've opened have gotten better and better the longer it's been stored. just moved another batch into the secondary fermenter today, looking forward to celebrating the return of the sun with it in january

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

god drat dude. where is this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

outside

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

thinking about becoming rich next year so i can leave tech behind and wander off into the woods

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

god drat dude. where is this

north norway - you can just about make out the city of tromsø on the left of the first picture. it's an incredibly beautiful area, i love almost everything about living here and i will really miss it if i end up leaving. but it looks like i'll probably have to move south if i don't find a decent job here in the next few months :(

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
if there are jobs i'm in

spent a minute in longyearbyen and am down with some polar-rear end night

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW0tx3fQY8M

:woop:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

nice day for a run

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i'm thinking about rejoining tech

please don’t

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
Please do rejoin, if only to spite Stymie

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
it's ok stymie, i do the good kind of tech

my job for 5 years was to make human beings who work in offices redundant by replacing them with computer programs, freeing up their time to do labour

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
my ultimate vision is to ensure that no human has to touch a computer ever again

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

my ultimate vision is to ensure that no human has to touch a computer ever again

in the future, it will be computers touching humans. forever.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I7kAqNijOI

me thinking about tomorrow

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

wow

i've been making my own beer and wine recently and that part is very good.

making decent wine is hard so good on ya

apetor is a gift

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
only one of my wines has made it a far as bottling so far so i dunno if the others will be any good, but from samples i've tried at racking i think they'll all be at least drinkable

mainly wine just takes a long time. you're laying down stuff that won't be ready to pour into a glass for six months minimum, likely a year or more. my experience making alcohol so far is that it's about 99.9% waiting and 0.1% scrupulously cleaning all your equipment to avoid just making vinegar

i want to try distilling at some point but i don't really have the space for a still, maybe once i move to that shack in the mountains

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my experience making alcohol so far is that it's about 99.9% waiting and 0.1% scrupulously cleaning all your equipment to avoid just making vinegarl

yep i brew beer and it’s basically having the patience to not mess with it once it’s fermenting. it’s a great hobby and i highly recommend it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

only one of my wines has made it a far as bottling so far so i dunno if the others will be any good, but from samples i've tried at racking i think they'll all be at least drinkable

mainly wine just takes a long time. you're laying down stuff that won't be ready to pour into a glass for six months minimum, likely a year or more. my experience making alcohol so far is that it's about 99.9% waiting and 0.1% scrupulously cleaning all your equipment to avoid just making vinegar

i want to try distilling at some point but i don't really have the space for a still, maybe once i move to that shack in the mountains

bro have u heard of san pedro

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

echinopsis posted:

bro have u heard of san pedro

im not really a big tequila drinker

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Silver Alicorn posted:

but plenty of wine

did somebody say wine

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

its monday and im dreading going to work so bump!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

did somebody say wine

winemaking is a time honored profession

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

whinemaking is a time honored profession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
FAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH INTERNS AND GRADUATE STENTSDlkajr;el2kjrqe;l3kejrf;aslx