Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I have iOS 12.1 on an iPhone XR and after the app updates I am seeing a lot of inconsistency in spoiler tags. I’d say they work like 60% of the time when I select them now? Otherwise they just stay blacked out and do not reveal text on selection.

EDIT: actually now that I am actively checking, spoiler tags don’t work at all for me.

Scornful Sexbot fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

El Burbo posted:

Just had a weird bug where I wasn’t able to tap any of the threads in my bookmarks page. Force closing the app and restarting fixed it

iPhone 8, iOS 12.1

E: happening a lot now. Long pressing to open the unread menu still works, and using 3D Touch to get into the thread works, but regular taps do nothing. Only happening in the bookmark tab.

I've seen that too, on the latest beta, though not what I would call often. 6S+, 12.1.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I think it’s an issue with “clicking” in general, not just spoiler tags. I’ve noticed issues hitting links, buttons, and ignored users’ posts too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ok this may or may not be the issue, but I have found that once I click on a profile to see posts, rap-sheet, etc... I can no longer un-spoiler things. Even swiping the app away (to “unload” it) doesn’t seem to work.

Two things I’ve seen for sure fix it. An app update everything was back to normal and a hard reboot did so as well.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Pirate Jet posted:

I think it’s an issue with “clicking” in general, not just spoiler tags. I’ve noticed issues hitting links, buttons, and ignored users’ posts too.

Yeah, I’ve seen it with spoiler tags and trying to play GIFs since the latest update went through yesterday. I’ll click them but get no response. If I leave the thread and reload it, that seems to fix the problem. I’ve also seen things previous posts not loading or scroll to the end jumping down one or two posts, rather than going all the way to the end of whatever thread I’m reading.

FWIW I don’t think I experienced any of the problems with tags that others had mentioned having in the past prior to the update.

iPhone 8, iOS 12.1

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Is there a way to clear the Awful browser cache? I keep bumping up against the paywall on sites like WaPo and Nytimes. I’ve used the apps clear cache function without success. I’m not sure If this is new, but I don’t remember encountering it before the last couple weeks.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Still cannot sort by tag. No tags display

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JHomer722 posted:

Is there a way to clear the Awful browser cache? I keep bumping up against the paywall on sites like WaPo and Nytimes. I’ve used the apps clear cache function without success. I’m not sure If this is new, but I don’t remember encountering it before the last couple weeks.

E: nvm

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Is there a way to outright truncate the username in the app?

For example, when reading this post by a user with long username, the name breaks the table/page width to the point where it leaves a large amount of blank space on the right side.

It also completely disables the swiping from left-edge to the right 'go back up a level'/out of the thread shortcut since the app will think you are trying to scroll left instead, even when you are already on the left edge.

And it breaks the scroll down motion because you will end up scrolling right instead.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Minor nitpick/request: When I am in landscape mode and laying in bed reading, I tend to scroll with my right thumb on the right side of the screen due to the ergonomics of how I'm laying and such because of a very bad back. However, said ergonomics frequently cause my vertical scroll to sort of be like / where there's a decent bit of left->right movement. If it's a little too much, it pulls out the sidebar and I have to stuff it back. It turns out that it happens enough to be annoying for me.

Would it be possible (and desired, of course) to only have the sidebar open if you slide from the left portion of the screen in landscape mode? You need to have your finger over there to use it anyways, so is there benefit to use the right half of the screen to slide open the sidebar and then switch over to the left side? This hasn't affected me in portrait mode and I could see it being a bit more of an issue to do the "fix" in portrait as well since there's less horizontal real estate there. But if the slide had to start left of the midpoint in order to pull out the sidebar, that would be very nice for me!

I realize this is probably an issue limited to me and it might not be worth fixing or wouldn't be desired, but it's been bugging me a little and I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

IllegallySober posted:

Force-closing the app fixed this for me on my X when this happened yesterday, FYI.

this also fixed my inability to long tap someone’s username for that menu too

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Not sure if this is a bug or something I don't get but when I try to full screen a quoted image awful has to reload it from scratch which for large file size gifs or on the slow hotel wifi I'm on now leaves a blank screen for a while before it loads.

If it's showing up in the quoted message shouldn't it be cached already?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s cached by the webview, but the zoom display doesn’t use a webview so it doesn’t have access to that cache.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I don't know how to reproduce this bug, but sometimes, the ... button on posts won't bring up the floating edit/quote/report dialog with a simple tap. You need to hold it for a fraction of a second before letting go to bring it up.
Dismissing the app and reloading is enough to make it go away.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, it feels like it needs to be a bit more specific than usual now, but it could just be me so unless others chime in, probably safe to ignore.

Sounds like it's not just you! I'll put it on the list.

jivjov posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186581&perpage=40&pagenumber=2461#post489890134

Spoiler at the bottom of that post won't show for me. Literally can't get any to work at all; but that's the one I was looking at just now

Keith Atherton posted:

It works for me (latest iOS, latest app, iPhone 6)

Just in case it helps narrow down the issue

Thanks y'all. Naturally it works perfectly for me right now, but I'll keep poking.

dont be mean to me posted:

Current version, iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 12.1:

Tapping quote-block header links does not jump back to the quoted post.

Holding them brings up the link handling menu like normal, and Open in Awful does what it should. [/workaround]

Normal hyperlinks in open text are unaffected, but I haven't tried hyperlinks in the body of quote blocks.

Added to the list, thanks!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Spoilers not working, 12.1, 6s+
Username taps work fine
Pulling to refresh still feels off

Spoiler/username stuff is so weird. Gotta figure that out soon.

Which pull to refresh feels off, the pull-for-next-page in a thread?

Solarin posted:

New update downloaded and the iOS 9 crash frenzy seems to be fixed. Bless you sir

Also since the other update posts with multiple gifs seem to run way smoother than before on my trash phone. It's a huge improvement, thank you

:tipshat: great to hear about GIFs running nicer. I was hoping that would be an upside to this new stupid web view!

Keith Atherton posted:

Still getting the endless process spinner indicating the app is getting pulling data. Happens whether on WiFi or LTE

I was sure this was on the list, but I can't find it, so now it's definitely on the list. Always happy to be prodded :)

Jigsaw posted:

Tweets aren't embedding properly on iOS 10.3.3 (this was true of the previous update as well). Only the text shows up. This happened every so often before, but now they never display right.

Edit: and I just noticed that the image for the menu in the lower right of posts is just displaying as an empty box.

Goddamn tweets. I'll add it to the list! :) And I think the missing image is on the list so I'll +1 that.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Whenever you aren’t able to click a spoiler, you will also be unable to click a profile. But, if I close and restart, I can do both again no problem.

Something invisible caught in a layer we can’t see?

It's not 100% correlated but it's happening often enough that I think you're right. And I can conceive of things that might break both at the same time, so it's entirely plausible.

Jealous Cow posted:

This has started happening recently. Latest version of Awful, happens on both iOS 12.0 and 12.1.

Nothing more fun than status bars and safe area insets :D I'll put it on the list!

Rye Bread posted:

Mine has just started doing this with the latest update. It occurs nearly every time that switch back to Awful from another app. Blank screen on the page that I was last on.

X on 12.1

I'm seeing this too, sometimes but not always. I'll put it on the list.

El Burbo posted:

Just had a weird bug where I wasn’t able to tap any of the threads in my bookmarks page. Force closing the app and restarting fixed it

iPhone 8, iOS 12.1

E: happening a lot now. Long pressing to open the unread menu still works, and using 3D Touch to get into the thread works, but regular taps do nothing. Only happening in the bookmark tab.

This one's on the list, but I have no idea what's going on with it yet. Always good to hear more reports though. It's possible a delete and reinstall will help? I know that's annoying though.

Scornful Sexbot posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I have iOS 12.1 on an iPhone XR and after the app updates I am seeing a lot of inconsistency in spoiler tags. I’d say they work like 60% of the time when I select them now? Otherwise they just stay blacked out and do not reveal text on selection.

EDIT: actually now that I am actively checking, spoiler tags don’t work at all for me.

It's one of those really helpful bugs that's affecting a bunch of people who aren't me, so I'm having a hard time fixing it :( working on it though!

Pirate Jet posted:

Agreed. But I can't figure out what would bust the click handler so thoroughly.

Proteus Jones posted:

Ok this may or may not be the issue, but I have found that once I click on a profile to see posts, rap-sheet, etc... I can no longer un-spoiler things. Even swiping the app away (to “unload” it) doesn’t seem to work.

Two things I’ve seen for sure fix it. An app update everything was back to normal and a hard reboot did so as well.

This helps, will try it out.

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, I’ve seen it with spoiler tags and trying to play GIFs since the latest update went through yesterday. I’ll click them but get no response. If I leave the thread and reload it, that seems to fix the problem. I’ve also seen things previous posts not loading or scroll to the end jumping down one or two posts, rather than going all the way to the end of whatever thread I’m reading.

FWIW I don’t think I experienced any of the problems with tags that others had mentioned having in the past prior to the update.

iPhone 8, iOS 12.1
The part I've bolded here might be a less annoying workaround for people while I'm figuring it out. It makes sense that that workaround would "fix" it at least temporarily. Might not be 100% though.

JHomer722 posted:

There isn't, but there really should be. I'm not even sure it's possible, but I can put it on the list!

Crime on a Dime posted:

Still cannot sort by tag. No tags display

Yeah :(

coke posted:

Is there a way to outright truncate the username in the app?

For example, when reading this post by a user with long username, the name breaks the table/page width to the point where it leaves a large amount of blank space on the right side.

It also completely disables the swiping from left-edge to the right 'go back up a level'/out of the thread shortcut since the app will think you are trying to scroll left instead, even when you are already on the left edge.

And it breaks the scroll down motion because you will end up scrolling right instead.

Looks like it's time to futz with some CSS! :) I'm not sure what I'll end up doing there but it shouldn't be breaking things like that.

shortspecialbus posted:

Minor nitpick/request: When I am in landscape mode and laying in bed reading, I tend to scroll with my right thumb on the right side of the screen due to the ergonomics of how I'm laying and such because of a very bad back. However, said ergonomics frequently cause my vertical scroll to sort of be like / where there's a decent bit of left->right movement. If it's a little too much, it pulls out the sidebar and I have to stuff it back. It turns out that it happens enough to be annoying for me.

Would it be possible (and desired, of course) to only have the sidebar open if you slide from the left portion of the screen in landscape mode? You need to have your finger over there to use it anyways, so is there benefit to use the right half of the screen to slide open the sidebar and then switch over to the left side? This hasn't affected me in portrait mode and I could see it being a bit more of an issue to do the "fix" in portrait as well since there's less horizontal real estate there. But if the slide had to start left of the midpoint in order to pull out the sidebar, that would be very nice for me!

I realize this is probably an issue limited to me and it might not be worth fixing or wouldn't be desired, but it's been bugging me a little and I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Totally reasonable request! You've probably already tried it, but does if help if you turn off the "Hide Sidebar in Landscape" setting in the Settings tab? Then it won't pop in and out on you at least.

spanky the dolphin posted:

Not sure if this is a bug or something I don't get but when I try to full screen a quoted image awful has to reload it from scratch which for large file size gifs or on the slow hotel wifi I'm on now leaves a blank screen for a while before it loads.

If it's showing up in the quoted message shouldn't it be cached already?

It didn't occur to me until just now that this could get worse with the new web view. Previously images would often be cached because the image previewer uses the same cache as the old web view, but the new web view might have its own cache?

It never quite worked right because I haven't figured out a sensible way to pull the image data directly out of the rendered post. We just usually got lucky because it was the same cache. But I'll put it on the list, it's been awhile since I looked around for a proper solution.

kimbo305 posted:

I don't know how to reproduce this bug, but sometimes, the ... button on posts won't bring up the floating edit/quote/report dialog with a simple tap. You need to hold it for a fraction of a second before letting go to bring it up.
Dismissing the app and reloading is enough to make it go away.

Can't say I've noticed this yet but it sounds very annoying! I'll put it on the list and keep an eye out.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

At this point I just 100% can’t tap spoilers. I’ve restarted the app a dozen times and no dice

I guess I haven’t restarted my phone but ???

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sockser posted:

At this point I just 100% can’t tap spoilers. I’ve restarted the app a dozen times and no dice

Phone restart probably won’t help, as you guess. (Sorry.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sockser posted:

This is a bit of a stretch and it’s totally ok to pass on it, but if you (or anyone else getting this issue frequently) are up for it: would you mind recording your screen from when you launch Awful through to being unable to tap spoilers? Maybe I’ll spot something if I can see what’s going on. Feel free to PM me a link to the video if you don’t wanna post it in the thread.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

This is a bit of a stretch and it’s totally ok to pass on it, but if you (or anyone else getting this issue frequently) are up for it: would you mind recording your screen from when you launch Awful through to being unable to tap spoilers? Maybe I’ll spot something if I can see what’s going on. Feel free to PM me a link to the video if you don’t wanna post it in the thread.

What’s the best way to record the screen? Is there a specific app? Or am I dumb and there’s a simple way?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IllegallySober posted:

What’s the best way to record the screen? Is there a specific app? Or am I dumb and there’s a simple way?

You can add Screen Recording to your control center and go from there.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah pull for next page in a thread still feels like it takes way more effort than it used to!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Totally reasonable request! You've probably already tried it, but does if help if you turn off the "Hide Sidebar in Landscape" setting in the Settings tab? Then it won't pop in and out on you at least.

Yeah, I have that selected so that it's not there most of the time. However it does slide out when I'm too horizontal with my sliding in landscape mode as I described. If you were able to limit the slide "trigger" to starting on the left half of the screen, that would solve it entirely I think and probably not cause anyone else grief since you need to be on the left to use it anyways. Or I could just pay more attention to how I'm scrolling with my stupid thumb.

Thanks for being responsive! I've been using my iPad a lot more now since I gave my wife the android tablet, so I'm using this variant of Awful app way more than I used to.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

I recommend:

Subjunctive posted:

You can add Screen Recording to your control center and go from there.

shortspecialbus posted:

Yeah, I have that selected so that it's not there most of the time. However it does slide out when I'm too horizontal with my sliding in landscape mode as I described. If you were able to limit the slide "trigger" to starting on the left half of the screen, that would solve it entirely I think and probably not cause anyone else grief since you need to be on the left to use it anyways. Or I could just pay more attention to how I'm scrolling with my stupid thumb.

Thanks for being responsive! I've been using my iPad a lot more now since I gave my wife the android tablet, so I'm using this variant of Awful app way more than I used to.

Right. I'm saying, if it's not too distracting leaving the sidebar open all the time, it might be worth it in landscape as a workaround. Because, while I'm happy to put it on the list, anyone in this thread can tell you it's not a very fast-moving list :)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Right. I'm saying, if it's not too distracting leaving the sidebar open all the time, it might be worth it in landscape as a workaround. Because, while I'm happy to put it on the list, anyone in this thread can tell you it's not a very fast-moving list :)

Ah, gotcha. No, I definitely don't want it there except when I need it - thanks for the suggestion though! And I'm fine waiting, it's really not that big a deal. Thanks again!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Latest beta, and GIFs don’t load on tap. Long press also doesn’t open them in the viewer.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Is there a tip jar to help support this?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Latest beta, and GIFs don’t load on tap. Long press also doesn’t open them in the viewer.

I believe you, but… works on my machines. This is incredibly frustrating.

My current hypothesis is that something is loving up the JavaScript that gets injected to do things like load GIFs and report tap events on post authors and the post ⋯ button. I'ma start using a debug build of Awful all the time in hopes that I can reproduce it, then I'll be able to fire up Web Inspector and see what the problem is.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

El_Elegante posted:

Is there a tip jar to help support this?

Nope! We'll always take a "thanks" though, and I appreciate the thought :glomp:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Nope! We'll always take a "thanks" though, and I appreciate the thought :glomp:

Well then thanks, next to PDF Expert to annotate sundry documents this is my my most used app on the iPad.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Thanks Misters and Misses Awful, for this lovely app.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:buddy:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

I believe you, but…

You shouldn’t have, it turns out. When I go off my WiFi it works fine. I don’t know what seems to only affect GIFs, but it’s on my end. Sorry!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah pull for next page in a thread still feels like it takes way more effort than it used to!

It was a bad decision to make this change and the bug that makes the pull distance vary by the scrollview's content size makes it even worse

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The scroll view content size variance is definitely the worst part.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I think the pull to refresh feels good. Is it the same as it used to be?

Getting crashes when trying to go to a thread from my bookmarks though. Had to go to settings to get to this thread.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Oh, heads up (and apologies) anyone who has the repo cloned: I moved a submodule around, and based on my general experience with submodules, this might be insanely annoying. You may find
code:
git submodule update --init --recursive
useful?

spanky the dolphin posted:

I think the pull to refresh feels good. Is it the same as it used to be?

Yes (or very close at least), but I've attempted to avoid triggering accidental refreshes.

quote:

Getting crashes when trying to go to a thread from my bookmarks though. Had to go to settings to get to this thread.

Whoops. It's somehow not happening for me? I'm sure when I see a crash log it'll be clear. In the meantime, for anyone suffering, a hot tip: TestFlight lets you install previous builds (and you can always grab the App Store build).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah I'm getting crashes when trying to open almost any thread, whether from bookmarks or from a forum. Strangely enough, a few threads have worked, but I haven't been able to find a pattern.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tapping on tweets doesn’t work on my iPad or iPhone. Tapping links or images inside of tweets works, but tapping text or the body of the tweet does not. It flashes like it has been clicked but nothing happens.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

withak posted:

Tapping on tweets doesn’t work on my iPad or iPhone. Tapping links or images inside of tweets works, but tapping text or the body of the tweet does not. It flashes like it has been clicked but nothing happens.

Yeah, right now you have to tap the time stamp for it to open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Latest beta makes the pull to refresh way better on my 8. But now I am back to crashing quite a bit on thread load. The scrolling also seems to be choppy, like a rogue thread or something in the background is hogging resources. Latest iOS.