Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

nashona posted:

Next one comes out March 2019.

Aw gently caress, I thought it was December of this year, guess it got pushed back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
aw dang

i've been rereading the series and, wow, amos feels like a completely different character in book 1 to how he develops. it definitely feels like they hadn't nailed him down completely just yet.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

https://www.orbitbooks.net/2018/08/27/tiamats-wrath-coming-in-spring-2019/

Orbit posted:

Fans of The Expanse: We know that you have been looking forward to TIAMAT’S WRATH this December. But because we are now entering the home stretch of this amazing series and we all want to make sure we get it right, we have asked the authors to give our editorial and sales teams some extra time to prepare for the launch.  

The new publication date will be in March 2019. We know you’re going to love this next chapter, and thank you for your patience.

mightychode
Feb 6, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'll second that; I've read it and it's good. It took me a minute or two to really grasp the tech level of the setting (and...there's vampires?) but once you settle in it's a good time.

If we're talking about other sci fi; I started reading the Culture series, and...is this series a Dresden Files situation where it gets better after the first book (two in the case of DF), or if I'm not enjoying it right away, will I probably not like the rest?

I'm maybe 3/4 of the way through Consider Phlebas (which I believe to be the first book) and it's just not doing it for me at all. The world-building is neat, but I simply do not care about any of these characters and I don't wanna keep going if the first book is indicative of the rest of the series. Should I power through or is it maybe just not for me?

I've been looking for a sci fi series to fill my expanse hole until the next book drops; I guess I could ask in the sci fi thread but I trust this thread's tastes more immediately

I didn't like Phlebas, I absolutely loved player of games, I had no clue what the gently caress was going on in use of weapons and its weird as gently caress chapter timeline, and I gave up halfway through excession and the boring ship talk about 2 years ago and haven't returned

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Use of Weapons' chapter structure in a nutshell: each chapter of the "main story" is followed by a chapter about a different event in the protagonist's past. As the main story moves forward, the accompanying vignettes take place further into his past.

Edit: Excession was a bit of a slog for me, though. A lot of it is basically chat logs, and I had trouble tracking those characters.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

That's weird to me because Excession is my favorite Culture novel. The Affront make me laugh, the Mind politics are wacky, and the end is, um, not what I expected when I first read it.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Yeah, I just finished Excession and I quite liked it. It was interesting seeing things from the point of view of the Minds.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I know I'm in the minority on this one. I thought the other parts of the book were pretty good, but the chat logs dragged it down for me. Something about the format of those exchanges made it hard for me to remember who's who among the various ships, especially the ones we don't otherwise see much of.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The protagonist guy from Excession might be the worst person in the whole series*

*this is probably hyperbole but god I hate him so much

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

General Battuta posted:

The protagonist guy from Excession might be the worst person in the whole series*

They both have fairly rotten personalities. A running theme in the book is abuse, treatment and (this is left ambiguous at the end) recovery/discovery.

There is even a Mind that gets into meat minds, appropriately called Grey Matter (Meat Fucker).

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

General Battuta posted:

I mean, all he did was sleep with someone in a free-love society. His spouse stabbed a fetus to death and almost killed him over it.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
ive seen the tv show but i wanna get into the books. how closely do they follow the tv show? am i going to be bored by the first 3 books because they follow super close or do they leave alot of poo poo on the cutting room floor like say harry potter.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The books are good, read them all. They're not that long anyway.

The show follows them pretty closely, but not so closely that you could just jump right in.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

snergle posted:

ive seen the tv show but i wanna get into the books. how closely do they follow the tv show? am i going to be bored by the first 3 books because they follow super close or do they leave alot of poo poo on the cutting room floor like say harry potter.
The big beats are the same, but individual melodies change a bit. Spoilers aren't big secret things, but I'll err on the side of caution.

The Eros sequence is significantly longer, for instance. More time is given to Miller and Havelock on Ceres. There's some changes to the group dynamics (book has less need to add drama between the crew during the donnager sequence, for instance).

I think the books are worth reading. I read them first, but am gonna read them all again before next season comes out.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
thanks for the replies.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the books were longer than they needed to be. the show trims it down and in the process improves the material a lot.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The extra content is mostly people throwing away cold noodles

E: also ty for the culture synopsis earlier; I’ll check out player of games and then that might be it for me, depending on how much I love it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Day Man posted:

I mean, all he did was sleep with someone in a free-love society. His spouse stabbed a fetus to death and almost killed him over it.

Nah, that's cool (the sleeping, not the fetus stabbing), it's the abandoning the Culture and having yourself physically altered to join a society which not only (!) engineered sentience out of its females but also genetically engineered said females to feel pain during sex :wtf: that puts him high up on the poo poo list.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

General Battuta posted:

Nah, that's cool (the sleeping, not the fetus stabbing), it's the abandoning the Culture and having yourself physically altered to join a society which not only (!) engineered sentience out of its females but also genetically engineered said females to feel pain during sex :wtf: that puts him high up on the poo poo list.

Okay, fair point

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Maybe I’ll just skip the whole series actually

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
For what it's worth those are unambiguously the bad guys.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Maybe I’ll just skip the whole series actually

The Culture isn't weird SF author fetish material, it just has some incredibly vile bad guys and deeply hosed up protagonists.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

General Battuta posted:

The Culture isn't weird SF author fetish material, it just has some incredibly vile bad guys and deeply hosed up protagonists.

Ehhhhh it a little bit can be. Banks likes his torture.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Ehhhhh it a little bit can be. Banks likes his torture.

Yeah there was some stuff in phlebas I didn’t love. I inferred that the people doing these behaviors were the bad guys but it doesn’t make it any better to read about for fun, personally.

Aaaanyway, this isn’t the culture thread so I’m going to stop talking about it now; sorry for the derail :ohdear:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah there was some stuff in phlebas I didn’t love. I inferred that the people doing these behaviors were the bad guys but it doesn’t make it any better to read about for fun, personally.

Aaaanyway, this isn’t the culture thread so I’m going to stop talking about it now; sorry for the derail :ohdear:
Consider Phlebas was really offputting to me too, but I feel that was largely because I hadn't really grasped what the books were doing with gross poo poo like that yet. There's really horrible stuff in later books, but none of it came of as "oh god, why am I reading this?" like it did in Consider Phlebas because there was more of an ideological framework built up, if that makes any sense. If the Culture is so good and powerful, what about this disturbing poo poo? There's a reason it's there in the narrative.

It felt gratuitous in Consider Phlebas, but not in any of his later stuff.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's weird to read Consider Phlebas without prior knowledge of what the Culture is and how it functions from reading other Culture books, even though the events (idiran war) of Phlebas are referenced in almost every other book.

Edit: I mean it's a weird experience, not that you're weird for doing it, I've seen that reccomended as a good place to start the series, but I find Player of Games and Use of Weapons both to be easier points of entry.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 6, 2018

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Finally caught up to the books awhile back, and decided to check on the release date of the final book only to find out its moved to March.

I really hope the ending is decent. I was surprised at the direction of the series and its pretty cool, but the PM tease was real heavy. -_-

Hopefully we get some cool info/insight from the PM/PM creators/enemy lol.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Tertius Oculum posted:

Finally caught up to the books awhile back, and decided to check on the release date of the final book only to find out its moved to March.

I really hope the ending is decent. I was surprised at the direction of the series and its pretty cool, but the PM tease was real heavy. -_-

Hopefully we get some cool info/insight from the PM/PM creators/enemy lol.

Semi-final. There's one book left after the March release.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I just finished PR and, while I on balance enjoyed reading it, think that it was a pretty drat strange one. Why a 30 year time skip? 10-15 would have done just fine. And they basically did nothing for 30 years? Things are exactly the same for them? We're to understand that Holden actually kept with the same job for 30 freaking years? That's an entire old school career. Very weird and kind of jarring choice on the authors' part.

Singh wasn't that interesting, he was set up as an incompetent dipshit from the getgo. I think someone like Trejo would have been a more interesting pov character. And although I get that the bullet is setting up future books, I would have liked to see it do something more substantial this time around.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

shirts and skins posted:

I just finished PR and, while I on balance enjoyed reading it, think that it was a pretty drat strange one. Why a 30 year time skip? 10-15 would have done just fine. And they basically did nothing for 30 years? Things are exactly the same for them? We're to understand that Holden actually kept with the same job for 30 freaking years? That's an entire old school career. Very weird and kind of jarring choice on the authors' part.

Singh wasn't that interesting, he was set up as an incompetent dipshit from the getgo. I think someone like Trejo would have been a more interesting pov character. And although I get that the bullet is setting up future books, I would have liked to see it do something more substantial this time around.

I'm still convinced that the time skip is a pointed message to George RR Martin (Ty's former employer), who was unwilling to do a five-year time skip, started writing up all the intervening events, and then drove his series off the road and into a ditch.

But yes, reading PR was a bit of a jarring experience for me too. In particular, I think the time skip lessened the impact of [PR spoilers] Clarissa's death. At the end of the previous book, she had just gained acceptance into the family of the Rocinante by the major holdout, Holden.

I had never thought about the fact that it could be strange that the crew still had ultimately the same career for three decades. They spent year after year careening from crisis to crisis, and now, just as you said, it's strange they had 30 years of routine jobs with perhaps a few more minor adventures. I find it hard to internalize the more advanced medical technology, so I still find it odd that they are still vigorous, e.g. Amos and Bobbie can still do a lot of damage.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Eh, it was only neccessary to build laconia as a legit threat which was ultimately unnecessary because their strength is their bullshit magic tech. I wish it had been done differently because we barely got a glimpse of rebuilt universe before they kicked it all down. The characters never had a chance to breathe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's hard to overstate how big a time jump thirty years is. That's a whole generation. Just look at how different the world is now from thirty years ago, and apply that to a setting where technology has made a quantum leap forward beyond anything we've ever seen. And yet Holden has been doing the same thing for thirty years and nothing happened in the interim?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think the whole generation thing was the point. They wanted the setting to have proper adults who grew up not knowing Earth at all. It's a really interesting idea and honestly I think it worked with the perspective of the rear end in a top hat who ran Medina. Hopefully it'll lead to interesting things if we end up spending more time on other colonies in the next couple books.

It's not about the magic bullshit tech, it's about the people. The Expanse has always been good about that at least.

That said it can be about the people and still bad. I've got mixed feelings on the time skip but I'm not going to dwell on it. I'm just interested to see where they go with the story next.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Also there was a tweet by the authors that 30 years in their time is more like 15. Age wise I'm assuming. I do feel like the tech wasn't as far along, but if its a bureaucratic hell to do research the right way (I would have wondered what Mao would have progressed?) Then maybe that's why. Idk

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
They also wanted Earth to be back on its feet and the transport union firmly in control and accepted...just in time to be replaced. Thirty years seemed appropriate for that, at least.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I never really thought the 30 year time jump was that big of a deal :shrug:

They mention anti-aging drugs at least once, probably just to try to cover their butts so people aren't asking, "how is a 50-year-old Holden still going?"

Honestly I just want more spoopy PM tech, don't care how we get there!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Even if 30 years is 15 from a physical level, it's still 30 years time wise. That's college graduate to gold watch and retirement party in terms of careers. Holden and the crew were already feeling a little stagnant towards the end of the last one, and this one...what happened?

Oh well, the decision was made, and so it goes. Really hope we get some new characters involved next book. I have to say, PR set up the return of my least favorite character in the entire series, so I am not encouraged. But I'm sure it'll be an entertaining read regardless.

I just wish we'd seen more from the bullet out of PN. Okay, it appeared on the ship, they surrounded it with curtains, space is boiling, and...what? They didn't even set up further problems, we just never heard about it again beyond Holden talking to Duarte. Is the Tempest still jetting around with that thing in it? I know we'll learn more next book, but I feel like they could have at least teased something.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I read Rising shortly after it came out, and have since spaced some of the more nuanced plot points. Remind me what you lot are referring to with "the bullet?" The tempest was the Laconian war ship right?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

hatelull posted:

I read Rising shortly after it came out, and have since spaced some of the more nuanced plot points. Remind me what you lot are referring to with "the bullet?" The tempest was the Laconian war ship right?

The black "bullet" that Holden and... Mari? named. I'm getting characters from different series mixed up, but the doctor/biologist lady who was thirsting for Holden on the first alien planet. They think it's a weapon from the aliens that killed the makers of the PM, or possibly it is the aliens that killed the PM? Anyway.

After the Tempest fired it's crazy super-weapon, one of the "bullets" almost immediately appeared on the ship in a hallway, correlating with the universe-wide loss of consciousness that is similar to what killed Marcos when he traveled through the Gate. I think there's a single chapter about it, then when Holden hears about it he's like "oh gently caress go find this thirsty biologist IMMEDIATELY" to Duarte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

shirts and skins posted:

Even if 30 years is 15 from a physical level, it's still 30 years time wise. That's college graduate to gold watch and retirement party in terms of careers.
To be fair, 30 years being a 'college grad to retirement' length of time isn't some sort of inherent law of physics - it's driven by our current average lifespan. If that span is increased the way it has been in the Expanse, why would life phases necessarily be the same length as they were centuries earlier?

Another example (though one could equally chalk this up to being social-norm driven and not lifespan-driven? but perhaps not?) is how societies used to consider people as basically adult (marriage, childbirth, war) once they hit puberty instead of 18-21 as we do today. Waiting til you're 18 to have sex? That's almost more than half your lifespan!

Granted, it's not like Expanse humans are fantasy elves who might truly see 30 years as being nothing at all, but I don't find it to be outlandish either.