Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If it's anything like here, the populist line is that EU REGULATIONS are making UK goods uncompetitive z And obce anarchy reigns, the sheer will of the entrepreneur shall be released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Jokes on Britain, our local Euro import store is right next to our British import store and I can get salmiakki, German chocolate and French cheese for pretty cheap, and then go next door and get

uh

hrm

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Peanut Butler posted:

Jokes on Britain, our local Euro import store is right next to our British import store and I can get salmiakki, German chocolate and French cheese for pretty cheap, and then go next door and get

uh

hrm

Soon you'll be able to get all that and more from the Brit store, cheaper and more innovative!

Britain is going to be a four-stripe Adidas country, but for food, lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The only thing I ever see actually purchased from british import stores is flags and tea. And it’s always north american anglophiles and doctor who fans.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I mean, what else does Britain export? Judgement?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

they did more steady business before internet streaming, selling imported VHS and DVDs

also I remembered the cookies, that's a thing I'll buy at Brits sometimes but Au Marche just has better stuff, and they're both owned by the same insane wealthy person

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

ELO Musk posted:

I mean, what else does Britain export? Judgement?

Jaffa cakes and brown sauce

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Toplowtech posted:

Those are generally poo poo local products that can't compete with cheaper better quality foreign products. The only way to sell them is outside the European market.

Yeah but if you're the owner of Wetherspoon's you can just choose to serve them. The literature they scatter around every pub talks about Brexit like it's finally untying their hands and letting them serve wholesome British products, not that British products will finally be able to compete. (At least this is what I was confused by the last time some friends elected to go there and I went along.)

BTW, for everyone who hasn't been to one recently, pretty much every Wetherspoon's has, in addition to pamphlets all over the place loudly proclaiming that Brexit will save Britain, actual poster boards set up in conspicuous places with (what seems to be) constantly updated pro-Brexit propaganda. I think the last one I saw featured a big photo of Theresa May with something to the effect of "WHY WON'T YOU GIVE THE BRITISH PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT, THERESA?" above it and a 10-point-font essay on why Europeans are smelly beside it.

quote:

Jaffa cakes and brown sauce

And Marmite.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Britain exports mark and spencers

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Crumpets and tunnocks.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Death and Despair.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Britain's main export will always be Independence Days for other countries.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I thought it was posh accents for movie villains?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Bovril

edit: looking up Bovril on wiki no one actually drinks it mixed with hot milk right? That's a joke right britain? right...r-r-right????

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a famous British cocktail called The Horrified Rabbi.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Peanut President posted:

Bovril

edit: looking up Bovril on wiki no one actually drinks it mixed with hot milk right? That's a joke right britain? right...r-r-right????

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

haha good one britain real good haha

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013
One good thing I'll say about Britain is that they know how to properly fry a crisp. Seasoning on the other hand is not their strong suit, though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Things like Marmite and Bovril make me confident that long after the resto of humanity had been killed by the climate change, the British will still be floating around, surviving on yeast and petroleum byproducts.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I like to get the Fentimans soft drinks sometimes, they are nice if a bit sweet. Good christmas pudding is nice too, and, uhhhm, tunnock cakes. Well okay there's not much.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

steinrokkan posted:

Things like Marmite and Bovril make me confident that long after the resto of humanity had been killed by the climate change, the British will still be floating around, surviving on yeast and petroleum byproducts.

Pretty sure this was the plan if the Cold War went hot.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You have to give the Britons a small amount of modified coal byproduct every month too, otherwise they'll seize up even with copious yeast and petroleum byproduct.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's served exactly the same in Denmark, though being paragons of efficiency we just call it risengrød.

Well, you spell it risengrød. As true paragons of efficiency you pronounce it the same way you pronounce every other word.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Nion posted:

Well, you spell it risengrød. As true paragons of efficiency you pronounce it the same way you pronounce every other word.

"murgblabåårdgrppooopdpp"?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

RagnarokZ posted:

That's not quite right.
Any word in Danish has one pronounced syllable and then some mumbling.
Your example has way too many syllables.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The only thing worse than warm milk & bovril is the letter spacing on this ad

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

RagnarokZ posted:

"Røghh"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

In its February 1916 issue, LIFE magazine (a humor publication that went out of print in 1936, not the more famous one) warns about what will happen should the Central Powers win the Great War.

im the great lakes named after german beers

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I’m irritated that there’s no city named for the greatest figure of the Great War, Franz Conrad von Hötzendorf.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Tree Bucket posted:

The only thing worse than warm milk & bovril is the letter spacing on this ad

glass of m i l k

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Wasn't Japan allied with the Entente in ww1, why do they get part of the US?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Elyv posted:

It isn't a serious alt-history map. It's just playing on American xenophobic fears.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Elyv posted:

Racism

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Why doesn't Mexico get their poo poo back Zimmerman, you liar

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elyv posted:

Since you missed the last time the map got posted, when this map was drawn and published Japan was very much not allied with the US, not really active against any of the Central Powers beyond opportunistic seizing of German assets in China, and Japan and the US were quite angry with each other as a result of Japanese actions in China. It wasn't until November 1917 that Japan and the US formally reconciled with the Lansing–Ishii Agreement (although this didn't really solve things on its own, it toned down the animosity significantly and they were friendly nations towards each other for the rest of the war). I'll also point out that with this being an early 1916 map, the US wasn't part of the war yet. That wouldn't happen until April 1917.

Part of the conceit here is "well maybe Germany and Austria will knock out France after all and steamroll over". And well, that happening was frankly far less likely than Japan starting a war with the US at all, you know?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Didn't realize the map was posted before. My bad.

Elyv posted:

Xenophobia.

Also note Romania getting Jamaica.

Senor Dog posted:

Why doesn't Mexico get their poo poo back Zimmerman, you liar

only in an Absolut world

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 28, 2018

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Constantinople Junction are a really overlooked 90s rock band, people should check them out. Problem was they changed their name.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Whorelord posted:

Constantinople Junction are a really overlooked 90s rock band, people should check them out. Problem was they changed their name.

Why did Constantinople get the works? :confused:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

TinTower posted:

...because the Ottomans had the "City of the World's Desire" mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

TinTower posted:

"That's nobody's business but the Turks!"