Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

mcbexx posted:

Is there a valid reason my GTX 970 clocks down from 3500 Mhz to 3000 Mhz when I start recording something with NVENC in OBS?

Market segmentation, they want you to buy a Quadro if you want full clock speeds. It also lowers the GPU to the P2 state, but that's less noticeable because P2 still clocks up based on temperatures so it'll get to the same speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Truga posted:

why are gpu vendors still letting oems hold driver updates hostage??

ufarn posted:

This takes me back to when I was downloading third-party drivers for my laptop 15 years ago.

I found a Hardware Unboxed video talking about it. Just the front half is about it, the rest can be skipped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc4mld0o9_I

Apparently, their PR miscommunicated things hardcore, and Windows (surprise surprise) are also to blame. :rolleyes:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Good god the FTW3 is heavy. I think it might be heavier than my PSU.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
2060 FFXV benchmark results leaked: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-final-fantasy-xv-benchmark-result-spotted

Reminder: FFXV benchmark is a loving garbage benchmark.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

2060 FFXV benchmark results leaked: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-final-fantasy-xv-benchmark-result-spotted

someone wake me up when 7/10nm stuff is out

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I swear this was posted a few pages back, but regardless of the lovely benchmark used, it's not exactly looking great.

Fake edit: Wait, is that Vega 64 performance WORSE than 56?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HalloKitty posted:

I swear this was posted a few pages back, but regardless of the lovely benchmark used, it's not exactly looking great.

you need to spend more time understanding just how lovely a bench it is and how very little it represents realistic performance even of the game itself

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I just find it funny that the 1080/ti aren't even on the drat chart.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

HalloKitty posted:

What part of "is a loving garbage benchmark" was I not clear about?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Noob question. Can you nvlink two different versions of the same card? Like EVGA 2080 ti with a Asus 2080ti?

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Why do people pay so much for broken GPUs on ebay?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

8 Ball posted:

Why do people pay so much for broken GPUs on ebay?

they are usually easy to fix.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Ulio posted:

Noob question. Can you nvlink two different versions of the same card? Like EVGA 2080 ti with a Asus 2080ti?

It'll work if you connect them, sure. The problem is more in affixing the bridge in the first place. Different manufacturers and card types will use different PCB heights and link placements, and NVLink bridges are rigid. You are not guaranteed to be physically able to connect the cards.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

B-Mac posted:

Do you have another GPU you can swap in and see if the issues persists? Likewise can you try the GPU in a different pc? Perhaps the motherboard is crapping out and your GPU is a okay.

So just an update here: my computer abruptly shutdown and refused to boot with the 980Ti connected to the PSU +6/2 power cables. Disconnecting the GPU from power permitted the PC to boot, and the GPU displayed a "please connect the PCI-E power to this card" message.

I tried swapping out the power supply cables which didn't work. Right now I'm on integrated graphics (thank goodness!) and plan on taking the GPU over to my brother's, but it's gotta be dead, huh? It's bizarre; I've tried it with two equivalent Seasonic PSUs and no dice.

On that note, I'm looking down the barrel of buying a 2080. Normally I buy EVGA, but I'm really not liking the design choices they've settled on, aesthetically speaking. Is there anything objectively wrong with buying a Founder's Edition?

I'd also consider a 2080Ti but the reports of failures has me worried.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Check the R33 inductors.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What part of "is a loving garbage benchmark" was I not clear about?

Yeah, I get that. I've drawn no conclusions from it other than the fact that it is a terrible benchmark. Sorry. I'll certainly not make judgements or recommendations based on it.

I just found it unusually messed up - I wonder if there's a good technical explanation for it?

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 25, 2018

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Here's my technical explanation: I once ran the FFXV benchmark and during the Shiva section the dude is supposed to start shivering, but instead he folded in on himself and then exploded into a polygonal mess until Shiva caressed him and he was fixed.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So let's say I buy a used 1070 ti on ebay. How can I tell if it was overclocked? Is there some setting in nvidia's graphics control program or will I need a third party program to check it?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sprite141 posted:

So let's say I buy a used 1070 ti on ebay. How can I tell if it was overclocked? Is there some setting in nvidia's graphics control program or will I need a third party program to check it?

you look up the model on the manufacturer's website and then compare the clocks to the stock ones.

Are you trying to ask how to tell if its been abused? Overclocking on a 10xx isnt abuse and it wouldnt cause damage in all but the most extreme case. The bios are locked down and it would thermal throttle well before any damage can occur.

If you want to test it for stability run some synthetics or benching tools like heaven and watch for artifacting at stock settings. Then play the actual games that you intend to play at the setting you intend to use. If it crashes or artifacts return it as not working.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 25, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's no way to tell, even Nvidia's internal tools don't have an overclocking reporter. Overclocking is very safe though, if it works now it's likely to work for another 5 years.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Fauxtool posted:

you look up the model on the manufacturer's website and then compare the clocks to the stock ones.

Are you trying to ask how to tell if its been abused? Overclocking on a 10xx isnt abuse and it wouldnt cause damage in all but the most extreme case. The bios are locked down and it would thermal throttle well before any damage can occur.

If you want to test it for stability run some synthetics like heaven and watch for artifacting at stock settings. Then play the actual games that you intend to play at the setting you intend to use. If it crashes or artifacts return it as not working.

Ok, sweet. I'm jumping on a few ebay auctions since I missed the 10 series black friday sales. Those deals sold out super fast!

craig588 posted:

There's no way to tell, even Nvidia's internal tools don't have an overclocking reporter. Overclocking is very safe though, if it works now it's likely to work for another 5 years.

Fair enough!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sprite141 posted:

Ok, sweet. I'm jumping on a few ebay auctions since I missed the 10 series black friday sales. Those deals sold out super fast!

Fair enough!

i would bid on the higher end models like Gigabyte Aorus, Asus Strix, MSI Duke or gaming with the red and black shroud, and EVGA FTW3.

They dont cost any more on the used market and are significantly more robustly built in terms of thermals and power delivery and thusly more protected from neglect.

Ones to avoid are basically any 3rd party blower which if you need that style you want the founders edition, brand doesnt matter

https://www.myibidder.com/ is my tool of choice for sniping ebay auctions last second.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 25, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If you bought an EVGA GPU through Newegg's eBay store - be sure to ask Newegg for an emailed invoice. You might not be able to finagle a free copy of BF V out of them, but I now have an invoice for an $899.99 2080 FTW3 Ultra, so even though I paid $799.99, if I decide to ~Step Up~ to the 2080Ti Black Edition in three months' time, I'll only be paying $100 instead of $200. :smugbert:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 26, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Vega 64 for $399 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...37004820a1c0e13

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

vega 56 for 329 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150819&ignorebbr=1

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I didn't read/watch the details on the 2080ti fiasco with its bad PCB issues--was it fixable with software settings or can we expect to see a board revision of some sort in say perhaps a Titan Xt?

Or to rephrase because it's Nvidia: will the 2080ti just be left the way it is and have that justify the price premium of the future Titan above it?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I didn't read/watch the details on the 2080ti fiasco with its bad PCB issues--was it fixable with software settings or can we expect to see a board revision of some sort in say perhaps a Titan Xt?

Or to rephrase because it's Nvidia: will the 2080ti just be left the way it is and have that justify the price premium of the future Titan above it?

The RMA rate isn't any higher than a typical GPU. Its price and status as a halo product just highlighted it more, that's all.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

As far as I understood it, it was certain early production batches that had the problem; later ones have been fixed.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That's reassuring and I'm looking forward to see how the prices trend next year. $200+ for a fancier air cooler is nightmare fuel

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The RMA rate isn't any higher than a typical GPU. Its price and status as a halo product just highlighted it more, that's all.

They actually admitted early batches had a problem, and it applied to FE cards which normal vendors aren't going to have RMA data on :shrug:

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

orcane posted:

They actually admitted early batches had a problem, and it applied to FE cards which normal vendors aren't going to have RMA data on :shrug:

All of the early AIBs cards are using Nvidia provided PCBs which appear to also have various problems. Hopefully mine doesn't show any.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
That $999 evga 2080ti is finally available.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

That $999 evga 2080ti is finally available.

Where?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Sorry, just got the email and I'm on my phone.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2281-KR

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Gone already!

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Be nice if you could step up to that one instead of the one that's more expensive.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Parallelwoody posted:

Be nice if you could step up to that one instead of the one that's more expensive.

On that note, given my 980ti gave up the ghost I’m considering buying the cheapest EVGA 2080 and sign up for the 2080ti black step up. I’m sure it will be months until I come up in the queue, but in the meantime the 2080 will serve me fine.

edit: It looks like the more expensive one is in stock on EVGA's website. It looks like the only difference is a slightly higher clock?

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 27, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Parallelwoody posted:

I'm going to take my time and potentially Step Up to the Black Edition Ti in a few months' time simply because I'd imagine by then they'll have gone through at least one revision and maybe the preliminary issues will have been worked out.

I'd also imagine there'll be a good lead time between applying and the card becoming available, as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is there a full list somewhere of upcoming games that will be utilizing RTX features? I read that Hellblade is getting an DLSS patch and I’m looking forward to checking that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Is there a full list somewhere of upcoming games that will be utilizing RTX features? I read that Hellblade is getting an DLSS patch and I’m looking forward to checking that out.

I think this is up to date: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13346/the-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-and-2080-founders-edition-review/3

(don't count on that FF15 update actually happening now that the project has collapsed though)