Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Personally I've seen about 5 or 6 shiny Pokemon in my 40 hours of gameplay while shiny chaining. It's never things I'm looking for, I'll just be trying to get a Scyther to spawn and instead get a shiny Pidgey. Even with all that I haven't gotten a single shiny Pikachu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so there's no way to teach alolan Raichu surf in this game right?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dehry posted:

Personally I've seen about 5 or 6 shiny Pokemon in my 40 hours of gameplay while shiny chaining. It's never things I'm looking for, I'll just be trying to get a Scyther to spawn and instead get a shiny Pidgey. Even with all that I haven't gotten a single shiny Pikachu.

I haven't seen any shinys in any of the chaining I've done. I also can't get a loving Scyther to spawn for the life of me

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah to be 100% honest if the next Pokemon game goes back to random battles it's gonna be unironically the biggest step backwards in the franchise. It is such an improvement.

I mean I know Pokemon is built on ignoring nice improvements but damned if the idea of going back to the old method kills any interest I might have. (I wouldn't mind traditional battles coming back over GO mechanics though.)

I haven't played Let's Go, but I wouldn't mind if battles were overworld encounters rather than random, but I definitely want traditional battles back.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Hunter Noventa posted:

I haven't played Let's Go, but I wouldn't mind if battles were overworld encounters rather than random, but I definitely want traditional battles back.

Why?
It feels so much better only battling other trainers and the overworld pokemon being there to capture instead of having to beat the poo poo out of them first.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Personally I don't really care whether they have traditional battles against pokemon or the throwing minigame. Neither is particularly engaging.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 24, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Taear posted:

Why?
It feels so much better only battling other trainers and the overworld pokemon being there to capture instead of having to beat the poo poo out of them first.

The catching mechanic sucks rear end for a number of reasons. I feel like I have more control over being able to catch the Pokemon not using this game's dogshit catching system. I just don't want random battles ever again. Bring back wild battles but keep the Pokemon being in the overworld

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Maybe someday they'll release a Pokemon game where you skip everything and jump straight into endgame collecting/training/battling Pokemon. :stare:

Pokemon: Galaxy Brain Edition

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The throwing game is boring but nothing is more annoying than having to make sure you've got a pokemon that can hit enemies without insta-killing them and all the associated bollocks.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Macaluso posted:

The catching mechanic sucks rear end for a number of reasons. I feel like I have more control over being able to catch the Pokemon not using this game's dogshit catching system. I just don't want random battles ever again. Bring back wild battles but keep the Pokemon being in the overworld

this

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I keep running into people doomsaying about how every new pokemon game is going to be like Let's Go from now on. I can't say the 'spam captures' method of gameplay has any more or less appeal to me than 'spam attacks' but other than that, what's the big deal? It looks fine otherwise.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

I keep running into people doomsaying about how every new pokemon game is going to be like Let's Go from now on. I can't say the 'spam captures' method of gameplay has any more or less appeal to me than 'spam attacks' but other than that, what's the big deal? It looks fine otherwise.

It is fine! It is however missing quite a few features that mainline pokemon games have which can be a bit disappointing if you like that stuff.

People are just being idiots with the doomsaying though.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The only feature I'm really missing is everstones especially if they're gonna make me level a bulbasaur to 65

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I remember when everyone said the game would be even more handholdy and railroady than before when the opening cutscenes last all of five minutes and the most hand holdy part of it is Trace giving you some revives and potions.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Just got to Lt Surge, it's great how everyone was having a meltdown over the red and blue trashcans when the switches aren't even in them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I remember when everyone said the game would be even more handholdy and railroady than before when the opening cutscenes last all of five minutes and the most hand holdy part of it is Trace giving you some revives and potions.

Yeah it's actually pretty refreshing after Sun and Moon

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I was in Cinnabar Mansion and found a shiny Raticate. He was just sitting there. I wasn't chaining at all, just happened to find one.

I left to go to Seafoam Island, then came back to Cinnabar Mansion later to beat the Elite and Coach trainers I couldn't beat, since I went a little early. There was another shiny Raticate.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I was in Cinnabar Mansion and found a shiny Raticate. He was just sitting there. I wasn't chaining at all, just happened to find one.

I left to go to Seafoam Island, then came back to Cinnabar Mansion later to beat the Elite and Coach trainers I couldn't beat, since I went a little early. There was another shiny Raticate.

"May I offer you a sparkling rat in this trying time?"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Even without a chain the odds aren't atrocious, it's unlikely to find one but not like it was before.

I do wish they'd get rid of the need to trade stuff to make it evolve, it was impossible when I played Blue/Red when I was a kid (nobody could afford the cables) and it's just as annoying nowadays (nobody I know even owns a switch).

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh, also I was trying to finish my Pokedex and was getting ready to buckle down and do the soft reset trick for fossils in Cerulean Cave, but I decided to open Pokemon Go to send over a Flareon and like seven Eevees just to save myself some time. I haven't played Pokemon Go in two years, I installed it just after hitting Fuscia just to see what I could send over. There was an Omanyte on top of my house.

I swear I wish I had the ability to swap my video game and gachapon mobile game luck into my real life because this is ridiculous.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I've seen shiny spearow, rattata, sandshrews and zubat. Only caught the zubat, saw the other 3 when I was trying for shiny charmander

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Yeah this. Both the catching mechanic and the leveling mechanic are kind of dumb.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I don’t want the catching mechanic to make it into gen 8 exactly as it is now, but that’s because I think that the motion controls are a bit of an accessibility issue and it sucks that the only way around it is handheld mode.

Not that Game Freak thinks that hard about accessibility. I have a photosensitive friend who couldn’t play any gen 7 game despite playing every other Pokémon game because Rotomdex constantly blinking in their peripheral vision was giving them migraines.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

hopeandjoy posted:

Not that Game Freak thinks that hard about accessibility. I have a photosensitive friend who couldn’t play any gen 7 game despite playing every other Pokémon game because Rotomdex constantly blinking in their peripheral vision was giving them migraines.

If modding Pokemon was as easy as modding Skyrim that would've been the first thing to go. Without hesitation.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Slowly making my way through let's go and I ha e to say, the rival is very likeable.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Darth TNT posted:

Slowly making my way through let's go and I ha e to say, the rival is very likeable.

I miss having a rival I don't like and actively want to beat. That's what made Gary/Silver such a good rival, now I just feel like I'm bullying the unpopular kid in the high school cafeteria

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My experience was "Ugh, this guy again" with Blue and I thought Silver was a pretty shallow "Vegeta" type until HGSS expanded his story to give him context for why he acts the way he does.

Trace has something of an arc with how his being kindhearted causes him to hold back and take fewer risks. There's something there, however scant, beyond just being a 90's kids show's idea of what a bully is like. Meanwhile, a mentor Blue who is still as boisterous and full of himself as ever while still being helpful makes him more entertaining than he's ever been.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I miss having a rival I don't like and actively want to beat. That's what made Gary/Silver such a good rival, now I just feel like I'm bullying the unpopular kid in the high school cafeteria
Yes he's no Gary.

But I'm comparing him to the rivals from x/y who were all doormats. This guy shares and you share with him. He has normal conversations and seems to be an all round good guy. At least I don't feel bad defeating him like I did with Serena.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BGrifter posted:

Maybe someday they'll release a Pokemon game where you skip everything and jump straight into endgame collecting/training/battling Pokemon. :stare:

Pokemon: Galaxy Brain Edition

showdown ftw

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

53 hours later I finally reached the Indigo Plateau. My team is in the high 50’s and the game is fun. But because I hate myself I went ahead and caught all 3 legendary birds. With premier balls. Took like 80 balls to get the 3 stupid things.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I miss having a rival I don't like and actively want to beat.

The next mainline Pokémon title will feature a rival that’s a MAGA chud. He’ll talk about how Alolans will not replace him and quote Jordan Peterson a lot.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Licarn posted:

Just got to Lt Surge, it's great how everyone was having a meltdown over the red and blue trashcans when the switches aren't even in them.

yeah they turned it into an actual puzzle instead of a stupid rng guesswork, very good change!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I don't mind the recent trend of the player character being the rear end in a top hat rival to other characters who are also on their pokemon journey and trying to enjoy it, only for us to come along with our competitively bred shiny team of sweepers

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't remember Silph Co being 11 loving floors!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I don't remember Silph Co being 11 loving floors!

It's always been eleven :psyduck:

Just doesn't feel like it thanks to the teleporters

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've been trying to not go on the teleporters cause then I can't tell where the hell I am

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like Gladion best of the rivals. It's mainly because he's doing his own thing and you're interfering with it at first - you're not just totally outperforming him at his own dream, and he's antagonistic for reasons other than just arbitrarily being a dick.

But I hadn't realized the significance of the fact that you actually give things to Trace, not just the other way around. Really sells the idea that you actually are friends.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

One thing I hope doesn't ever carry over to other games is having random wild pokes running away. It sucks poo poo dumping a bunch of ultra balls on an annoying dude only for them to run away.

The entei/raikou/suicune runaway poo poo in gen 2 was bad enough.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Taear posted:

I have a question about shiny pokemon that nobody may be able to answer but we're confused.

My girlfriend is obsessed with them and has found the guides that say you've got a 1-350 (or around that) chance of getting a shiny pokemon if you've got a 31+ combo. She's had that and is at route 1/route 2 trying to get a shiny Pidgey.
Around 1000 have gone by now. She hasn't caught any new ones since she hit the 31 and she sometimes has a lure on.

It's been maybe 3 hours all in all I think. The only answer I could think of is that because she's not catching new pidgeys the guys that are just flying away aren't despawning, they're hiding and it's just them going around and around and around and nothing new is spawning but that seems sort of insane.
She's also not moving much and I notice that moving causes lures to run out, but it still feels like loads of pidgeys (and others) spawn if she doesn't move anyway.

Does she need to keep catching stuff to get it to spawn or is she just super unlucky?

This has been answered, but if it makes her feel better: Shiny Pidgey was really hard to get for me, too. I got two shiny Pikachu in under 200 catches, but it took me 500+ to get Pidgey. If she's best the Elite Four, make sure she takes a Charizard or one of the other flying Pokemon with, because mine spawned in the air.

Good luck!!

E: Lol I meant beat the Elite Four but I guess besting them works too. Thanks autocorrect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I miss having a rival I don't like and actively want to beat.
They're never going to do this again. The role of rear end in a top hat who you feel good beating down every time is going to be filled by the actual villains of the story, as it has been for a while. Like N, or Guzma.