Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Basic Chunnel posted:

Looks like they had to reload after running into an unkillable football player

He never went to the diner to see the guy whomst gives the "You dumbass Jocks need guys like me *sigh and draws katana*" dialogue. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

That mod seems very linear.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

He never went to the diner to see the guy whomst gives the "You dumbass Jocks need guys like me *sigh and draws katana*" dialogue. :(

I thought this was a good mod at first because I managed to skip most of the cringe:v:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Is there a way to watch the stream if I missed it?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I had actually completely forgotten about it but I remember playing that when it was the first part just called Project Brazil or whatever and was pretty disappointed back then too

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Garrand posted:

I had actually completely forgotten about it but I remember playing that when it was the first part just called Project Brazil or whatever and was pretty disappointed back then too

Oh poo poo, New California is the finished version of Project Brazil? Didn't that get heavily criticised for its writing when it came out?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Oh poo poo, New California is the finished version of Project Brazil? Didn't that get heavily criticised for its writing when it came out?

Yeah, it's Brazil. If its writing was the same as in New California then I don't doubt it was criticized because yikes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it better or worse than Beyond Boulder dome

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009

How are u posted:

Is there a way to watch the stream if I missed it?

Yes. The videos are on the twitch channel https://www.twitch.tv/videos/334447208 start around 14:05:50.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is it better or worse than Beyond Boulder dome
Incredibly, it's worse

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Incredibly, it's worse

how

also i still lol at the thought that the creators had a 20 year plan for their indie game studio that will go from this to making a successful indie game to eventually managing a massive game studio

e: lol here it is

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

how

also i still lol at the thought that the creators had a 20 year plan for their indie game studio that will go from this to making a successful indie game to eventually managing a massive game studio

e: lol here it is

lmao

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Open-world "very complex" RPG for under $3 million.

Loving the confidence. Shoot for those stars.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it took us 12 years to make a mod but an open world rpg will only take a couple

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I'm the "6-8 million dollars. Huge." note.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

so whats the story wtih beyond boulder dome

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

cuntman.net posted:

so whats the story wtih beyond boulder dome

High ambition, some great art (better than New California), a terrible storyline that was mostly a mix of Van Buren material and really bizarre original story elements (there is no super computer! it is actually a super-intelligent monkey!) and some pretty poor gameplay design with levels too wide for their own good and encounters too hard to deal with. The voice acting was also pretty poor.

I don't hate the modders, it's hard to make something of that size.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

sounds like its just regular bad instead of amazing incel trainwreck like new california

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

cuntman.net posted:

sounds like its just regular bad instead of amazing incel trainwreck like new california

Before New California came out Beyond Boulder Dome was the usual barometer for a "bad" total conversion mod.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Beyond Boulder Dome was extremely bad due to the garbage level design (boy howdy I sure love giant unskippable backtracking sequences) and the hilariously awful ending. I don't know how bad New California is, but if nothing else reaching the sheer level of "everything about this mod was a waste of both mine and the developer's time" that Boulder Dome achieved would be hard to beat.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nerds should be banned from writing dialogue about sex

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lawman 0 posted:

Nerds should be banned from writing dialogue about sex

Congratulations you just killed the entire fantasy genre.

Obsidian put out a video about the Microsoft deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suvxb0OfhpQ

Still not sure how I feel about it given Avellone's comments about the upper management and Urquhart's demeanour.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 14, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't really know Microsoft's track record with dev studio acquisitions, but even if it was an EA-style meatgrinder, the way those things go is that they will at least put the resources in to make one last big thing. If the studio gets run into the ground, then the devs who feel their skills aren't being utilized properly hopefully can jump ship.

I don't know much about Obsidian's executive leadership, but they have had a couple of notable screwups. Worst I can think of Microsoft might do specifically is try making Obsidian's next game platform-exclusive, but Microsoft's all about making all the Xbox games playable on PC and vice versa.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also Fable Linect jokes aside, Obsidian would be nearly ideal for Fable, a series about reactivity to player choices weaved through everything.

If they were British they'd be perfect.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Allegedly the dudes who do Forza are making the next Fable game.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Allegedly the dudes who do Forza are making the next Fable game.

Huh. Weird, but Forza's good so maybe they'll make the genre jump.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I mean they just need to keep the best of those games and whack it in the open world and that pretty much is that. The first three Fable games are weird silly comfort food to me.

Also refrain from hiring a bucket load of celebrities for voice acting.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ron Perlman: Chicken chaser. Do you chase chickens?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't know how bad New California is, but if nothing else reaching the sheer level of "everything about this mod was a waste of both mine and the developer's time" that Boulder Dome achieved would be hard to beat.

They found a way!

My run has railroaded me into an ending, with multiple characters having multiple SPECIAL-check conversation options that amount to the player character literally asking if I'm being railroaded and getting literal responses of "Yes you sure are!", culminating with being whisked away to a separate area, having all my equipment taken and set up for a Fallout 3-esque "Listen to this giant plot dump about things that make little-to-no-sense and then step into the light and fulfill your destiny, But Thou Must" final cutscene.

Except it's broken and doesn't trigger the cutscene. I'm stuck in an area with nothing to do but trigger a "The Chosen One is trying to escape!" incident that turns everything in the area hostile. Did I mention I don't have any of my equipment, or that one NPC nearby has a minigun and another has a rocket launcher, or that one of those aforementioned armed-to-the-teeth NPCs is still (erroneously?) marked essential?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dloboO5bWCA

When you need to speedrun and the music must keep up.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Couple of interview with Chris Avellone on Fallout: New Vegas and cut content. Like a lot of recent Avellone interviews, a large chunk is spent slagging off his former colleagues, but there's still some interesting details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb-m9-KT18M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GXmjZR1By4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_b611KYHCA

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

How dare you post that without this gif.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Couple of interview with Chris Avellone on Fallout: New Vegas and cut content. Like a lot of recent Avellone interviews, a large chunk is spent slagging off his former colleagues, but there's still some interesting details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb-m9-KT18M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GXmjZR1By4
For the sake of argument, let's say I don't to listen to Chris for an hour. Summarize?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Time to start my second ever playthrough, this time with all the DLC.

e: wil probably invest in speech, science, lockpick, repair and guns

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 24, 2018

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Xander77 posted:

For the sake of argument, let's say I don't to listen to Chris for an hour. Summarize?

Oh, don't worry, you don't have to listen to Chris. This is a written interview delivered in video form because the guy is a YouTuber. :agesilaus:

A summary of the New Vegas/Van Buren stuff, both main game and DLC, in no particular order:

- He feels like Ulysses' perspective didn't come off as strong in the DLC as it did as a companion, but he liked the implementation better, as it provided an arc to the DLC overall. He knows Ulysses is "not a fan favorite" and "some players found [him] disappointing"

- His initial pitch for Lonesome Road was less linear, but the artists convinced him to make it more linear to make the environments more impressive. He feels that was a bad call to make in retrospect, as it made the DLC less Fallouty.

- Lonesome Road ran out of resources near the end of its development because of the Stormlands layoff at Obsidian.

- According to another ex-Obsidian employee also interviewed by this YouTuber, Ulysses' script was around 10k words, though Avellone disputes that and claims it was largely due to repeated strings/bugs. [My note: that said, it would explain why ultimately Ulysses had to be cut, as there simply wasn't enough time to implement and voice all that dialogue.]

- He thought the sexism in the Legion was a red flag and wouldn't have done that, also the Legion's presentation was unbalanced and it wasn't an interesting enough faction for players to join.

- Complains that faction-joining quests were too easy to break and so players fell too often on the Anarchist path by accident.

- Complains that there was a dictate to not have companions tied too closely to the main story and wishes Vulpes, Benny and Yes Man were companions.

- Complains that companion synopsis were handed to the writers, so they couldn't come up with their own concepts. Claims that Obsidian "rebelled" to that for Pillars of Eternity. That said, he enjoyed designing Cass, and he put a bunch of hooks concerning the original Cassidy's fate in the dialogue. Feels like in the end, no one cared, but he still feels this kind of hooks is important. Ulysses was the only companion that a writer came up with on their own, and he was more inspired to work on Ulysses as a result.

- Talks about the PnP campaign done before Van Buren and how it helped to have players for the campaign as sounding boards for area design and story ideas. Wishes every RPG had that chance.

- He feels like some concepts from Van Buren became weaker in New Vegas because they lacked context. Apparently the war between the Brotherhood and the NCR in Van Buren started because of a misunderstanding. The Enclave nuked San Francisco, but the NCR wasn't aware the Enclave existed and assumed it was the NCR.

- As for the Legion, his original concept for the faction in Van Buren was very different and less of a historical faction. He alludes to the fact that they were working for a mysterious buyer in the West, perhaps Super Mutants who were dipping the slaves in new-found vats of FEV [My note: I feel like that's a terrible idea, personally, and I'm glad it was ditched, but I'm not sure how much of that was part of a plan for Van Buren versus a vague idea that he might or might not have developed]

- Praises Bethesda's marketing work.

- Feels like, while it was very difficult because of schedule, Obsidian still should have found a way to be present at all recordings for the VO with some writers, and cites the dialogue from General Oliver at Hoover Dam as an example of a voice actor not knowing context.

- Praises the work of the Obsidian developers who worked on the Begin Again song for Dead Money, Mikey Dowling (now Obsidian's PR honcho, used to be audio designer) and Justin Bell (Obsidian's current audio director an in-house composer). Stephanie DeBrule, who at the time was an artist at Obsidian, also sang the song.

- He feels like the DLC was scoped better than the main game, so there wasn't much cut content. Originally they played around the idea of having Elijah communicate with the Courier through the Pip-boy but it was deemed too complicated and confusing.

- Avellone says he had to "step in" last minute during the development of Honest Hearts to make sure some hooks connected to the other DLC and the Ulysses story arc were in because the developers didn't get to it. Later he learned to follow up with these requests more closely, but they apparently "fell through the cracks" even though he just wanted to "trust folks with the tasks".

I'm gonna group all the complaints about his former colleagues together (feel free to skip this section if you don't care about Avellone's gripes, there isn't much about design):

- New Vegas apparently benefited from not having enough attention from the owners, who were busier on Alpha Protocol.

- He claims not enough memory footprint was allocated for the DLC before release, even though the request was made in time, so time that could have been spent making the DLC better was spent patching the original game and cutting stuff out of it (and also fixing bugs).

- Alleges that some developer went overscope, didn't have to "pay the consequences", and were even irritated the DLC was taking time away from the core game.

- He feels like the game should have been downscoped during development and it wouldn't have been better even if delayed a month or two because it simply had too many bugs (weirdly, he makes a comparison with Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, even though I'm pretty sure he admitted he hasn't played that).

- Claims the company's higher-up mandated the expository dumps at the start of the DLC because they were afraid the players wouldn't get it.

- Feels like Obsidian's owners only learned how to have empathy for the workers after they were on the other side of setting milestones during the development of Knights of the Old Republic II.

- Feels like it was Obsidian's fault for not hitting the Metacritic score needed to trigger the bonus payment listed in their contract with Bethesda. Feels like that contributed to the layoffs after Stormlands, for which Obsidian didn't have a plan B. Bethesda was one of the best publisher Obsidian had to deal with, and while there were disagreements, they weren't hostile.

- Claims the owners felt that Bethesda "dropped the ball" on marketing and it just wasn't true from his perspective.

There's also a bunch of general design thoughts:

- According to Avellone, villains (or rivals, in his view) should present a view on some theme or mechanic in the game, be focused on the player rather than only some outside goal, and have a philosophy that the player can out-debate them at (like the Master in Fallout 1).

- According to Avellone, a Fallout game should feature a combat, speech and sneak solution to roughly every quest, feature a 1950s retro-future vision of the world visually, have choices and consequences and role-playing opportunities, and, while not key, he feels that the way skills, perks, karma, etc. open dialogue options is "brilliant". Fallout ultimately influenced Torment for the better, according to him.

- New Vegas "was wonderful" and he kicks himself for not taking the opportunity to work on the original Fallout at the time (he would instead work on the dreadful Descent to Undermountain).

- Feels like RPG fans will be very, very happy at the news of some unannounced project he's working on.

- New Vegas had stuff that it needed for "the wrong reasons" and had overtime that was "a sign of poor management", while Bethesda only requested them to work on weekends on a couple times, the rest of the overtime being internally mandated. An example of a feature he would have liked cut was Caravan.

- Complains about exposition in Pillars of Eternity and feels like wordcount isn't a relevant metric to judge writing.

The YouTuber discusses a bunch of cut content in the base game too, but nothing too interesting, to be honest. There's some stuff involving the original scenario where you'd find Ulysses in the base game, some lines of dialogue cut from Elijah in the DLC, and some dialogue reactivity from Cass that was also cut, including some stuff involving a bunch of people catcalling her in Freeside, if I understand correctly.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 24, 2018

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Cheers for that summary. I switched off the video because the Youtuber had this inflection at the end of every sentence that was driving me loving insane.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

- Complains about exposition in Pillars of Eternity and feels like wordcount isn't a relevant metric to judge writing.
Concidering he wrote Grieving Mother & Durance in PoE, we're in pot calling the kettle black territory.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Did that guy definitely interview Avellone? I got most of that just from reading RPGcodex threads he posts in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

Time to start my second ever playthrough, this time with all the DLC.

e: wil probably invest in speech, science, lockpick, repair and guns

How have you managed to go for so long with only one playthrough?