Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

obi_ant posted:

So if I’m understanding correctly, the main ingredients...

Bourbon = corn
Rye Bourbon = rye
Wheated Bourbon = wheat

Almost right. Bourbon is 51%+ corn, a little barley, and the rest is either rye or wheat. Most bourbon uses rye.

A wheater is still a bourbon (so still 51%+ corn) that uses wheat as the secondary ingredient rather than rye.

I think there's a bourbon floating out there that has both rye and wheat.

Rye is 51%+ rye with some barley and usually some corn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
If it's a bourbon whiskey it will be at least 51% corn by definition. From there , different distilleries have many different 'recipes' that contain different proportions of the other grains mentioned.

Then within those recipes there will be multiple expressions bottled under different names based on aging , location of barrels , blended barrels , single barrels, etc.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

obi_ant posted:

Anything special about it being “wheated”?

Wheat is more mellow bland than most other grains.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

Wheat is more mellow bland than most other grains.

I'd agree and disagree. I think for the majority of the field, wheat is sort of a let down that contributes little to the whiskey and ends up being uninteresting. There isn't much worse I can say about a whiskey than calling it uninteresting. (If it's made in a column still, I'm probably going to think it's uninteresting.)

But there's a few wheated whiskies that are magic, because they're tuned properly. They typically have to be older, and the "gap" the wheat leaves lets a lot of subtler flavors that would get stomped on by rye or a heavier corn bill come out to be noticed.

I've been doing some tests, and I think that a lot of what makes wheated bourbons taste like they do is that the wheat lets the barley flavor (assuming that it has barley in the mash bill) pop just because it's not having to compete with the rye. And depending on the malt profile on the barley, you can get some really interesting flavors. Anything from pear/honey on a lighter pils style malt, to some really dark (and good) chocolate/cranberry for a darker Munich-style malt. When I've done a rye blend in with these, the spice notes just take over and dominate, and it ends up flattening the flavor profile.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Wheaters = More cooooorn

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 22, 2018

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I’m visiting Toronto from California. Is there any Canadian whiskey I should try while I’m here? I have a bottle of Lot 40 at home.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mandalay posted:

I’m visiting Toronto from California. Is there any Canadian whiskey I should try while I’m here? I have a bottle of Lot 40 at home.

Alberta Premium and see how similar it is to Whistle Pig or Jefferson's Straight Rye (not currently bottled.) It's a bottom shelf whisky with middle shelf aspirations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Mandalay posted:

Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye is supposedly good. Haven't tried it myself so can't speak to it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

TobinHatesYou posted:

Alberta Premium and see how similar it is to Whistle Pig or Jefferson's Straight Rye (not currently bottled.) It's a bottom shelf whisky with middle shelf aspirations.

That...doesn’t sound good.

spankmeister posted:

Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye is supposedly good. Haven't tried it myself so can't speak to it.

Yikes. That’s $20 USD at home at Total Wine and $36 CAD here at the LCBO.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mandalay posted:

That...doesn’t sound good.

It's actually good.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Mandalay posted:

Other than the aforementioned Harvest Rye, there's 2 local-ish distillers to try: Dillons and 40 Creek. 40 Creek Confederation Oak is pretty good, and the Dillons Rose Gin is really nice.
If you've got the time though, you should check out an absolutely insanely good Scottish restaurant called The Caledonian. Their whiskey list is ridiculous, especially in terms of scotch.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Crown royale's new Noble collection release is quite good. It's basically a bourbon but they cant call it that cause it's not made in the US.

I hope someone else here tries it someday because I really enjoy it. It's way more interesting than any other crown I've had.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

ReaperUnreal posted:

Other than the aforementioned Harvest Rye, there's 2 local-ish distillers to try: Dillons and 40 Creek. 40 Creek Confederation Oak is pretty good, and the Dillons Rose Gin is really nice.
If you've got the time though, you should check out an absolutely insanely good Scottish restaurant called The Caledonian. Their whiskey list is ridiculous, especially in terms of scotch.

Aw man. I wish I had seen this earlier. We went to the distillery district where an old company called Gooderham and Worts made whiskey. But their offerings were nowhere to be found in the old factory, which was disappointing. Just touristy stuff.

On the way back to my hotel I stopped by LCBO and picked up a bottle of JP Wiser’s Dissertation.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

obi_ant posted:

So if I’m understanding correctly, the main ingredients...

Bourbon = corn
Rye Bourbon = rye
Wheated Bourbon = wheat

E:fb pages exist

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I screwed up my yearly BTAC selection at Total Wine by sleeping in and now I'm getting a Van Winkle 10 instead of something cool like Stagg or Sazerac. :negative:

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
oh no.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Who wants to help me spend some money? My local shop has a decent selection of bourbon , and I’ve been saving up some cash to expand my collection. I mainly buy stuff to drink it, and they don’t have any really collectible stuff anyways, so this is more about filling out my cabinet.

Here’s what I have already:

Eagle rare 10
Evan Williams single barrel
Knob creek single barrel reserve 120 proof store pick
Rittenhouse Rye
Sazerac rye
Crown royal Noble Collection
A bunch of scotch, and I’m asking for some scotches for Xmas

Here are the bottles I’m considering and their price:

1792 single barrel store pick $32
Four roses single barrel $32
Henry McKenna BIB 10 year $31
Russels reserve single barrel store pick $53
Maker’s Mark cask strength $55
Angel’s Envy $45
Bookers $63
Bulleit barrel strength $55
EH Taylor Small Batch $38
High West American Prairie Reserve $30
Elijah Craig Small Batch $22

I have a budget of about $160 I’d say , and I’m leaning towards including the Russels store pick as I have heard really good things about it.

But how would you fill out a $160 basket with those choices?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Four roses single barrel has a permanent spot on my shelf.

The Henry McKenna can be a bit inconsistent. I’ve had average bottles and outstanding bottles, but never a bad one. It’s a real bargain at $31 for a bottled-in-bond single barrel.

For $53 I’d probably grab the RR too. I’ve never seen it for less than $60.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

Who wants to help me spend some money? My local shop has a decent selection of bourbon , and I’ve been saving up some cash to expand my collection. I mainly buy stuff to drink it, and they don’t have any really collectible stuff anyways, so this is more about filling out my cabinet.

Here’s what I have already:

Eagle rare 10
Evan Williams single barrel
Knob creek single barrel reserve 120 proof store pick
Rittenhouse Rye
Sazerac rye
Crown royal Noble Collection
A bunch of scotch, and I’m asking for some scotches for Xmas

Here are the bottles I’m considering and their price:

1792 single barrel store pick $32
Four roses single barrel $32
Henry McKenna BIB 10 year $31
Russels reserve single barrel store pick $53
Maker’s Mark cask strength $55
Angel’s Envy $45
Bookers $63
Bulleit barrel strength $55
EH Taylor Small Batch $38
High West American Prairie Reserve $30
Elijah Craig Small Batch $22

I have a budget of about $160 I’d say , and I’m leaning towards including the Russels store pick as I have heard really good things about it.

But how would you fill out a $160 basket with those choices?

What do you actually like out of the stuff you have?

Besides what the guy above said, EH Taylor is a pretty good pick at $38.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 26, 2018

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Vox Nihili posted:

What do you actually like out of the stuff you have?

Besides what the guy above said, EH Taylor is a pretty good pick at $38.

I like pretty much everything I have. The EW single barrel is my favorite ‘budget’ bottle as I can get it for $21 around here.

I like buffalo trace mash bills 1(eagle rare) and 2(blantons), but prefer #2. That crown royale might be my favorite of what I have , really nice and thick mouthfeel. I’m starting to really appreciate that in whiskies.

I would rank rye whiskies a little lower on my preference list though. I like the sazerac I have, but less so than most of the bourbons.

I’ve had FRSiB many times before and have always liked it, so that’s a safe bet (but something I’ve had before )

I’m warming up to the KC I have , I think I’m starting to like the higher proof stuff more and more.

I also like to try new things, so I’m not totally tied to a ‘I know I like this’ list.

That’s not super helpful because I really do like most decent bourbons I try, my palate is probably not developed enough to say ‘this slight difference makes me hate this bottle.’ I’m also kind of hoping to build out a somewhat diverse cabinet, so I don’t want 15 different BT mashbill #1 bottles in my cabinet.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Blanton's is considered high rye, so if that's a thing you prefer in bourbon then 4R and RR are good choices.

Bulleit is high rye too and used to be sourced from Four Roses. Haven't had that particular one.

Elijah Craig small batch is alright for the price. I'd consider it more if an intro bourbon in that it's <100 proof and isn't complex, but it's still good for what it is.

I don't have any input as to the rest of that list.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
What do you guys think of old crow? for $12 a fifth I think it's a steal, especially being kentucky straight bourbon.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

tha_hotstepper posted:

What do you guys think of old crow? for $12 a fifth I think it's a steal, especially being kentucky straight bourbon.

It's not good but it's my shameful slumming whiskey.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
How long does opened whisky last for?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
More or less indefinitely, but keep it in a cool dark place and once it gets close to empty(less than 1/3 of a bottle maybe) it’s worth moving to a smaller bottle if you plan on letting it sit.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
^efb

Odd Mutant posted:

as long as its kept in a fairly cool and dark place, nearly indefinitely
the more air in the bottle the more likely it is to oxidize and change (for better OR worse) - flavors might mute, peaty stuff may lose its smoke
it's best to finish off bottles that are below halfway within a few months or decant them to a smaller bottle.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Odd Mutant posted:

Not very long around here.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

http://breakingbourbon.com/bourbon-storage-experiment.html

Also I've been advised to make sure to store it right side up if there's a cork, otherwise the cork can supposedly ruin the bourbon.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Whiskey nerds, whiskey lawyers, and whiskey armchair D&D types, this one is for you!

The TTB is proposing new labeling regulations and is requesting public comment. Are you a bad enough dude to wade through 132 pages and save whiskey as we know it from destruction?

https://www.ttb.gov/newsletters/archives/2018/ttb-newsletter112618.html

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2018-11-26/pdf/2018-24446.pdf

quote:

We are pleased to announce the publication of a rulemaking document (Notice No. 176) in the Federal Register of Monday, November 26, 2018, in which we propose to update, simplify, and clarify the labeling and advertising regulations for wine, distilled spirits, and malt beverages.

This rulemaking is the latest phase of our multi-year effort to Facilitate Commerce through a Modern Labeling Program Focused on Service and Market Compliance, one of the five strategic goals outlined in our current Strategic Plan. In recent years, we have made significant improvements to modernize our labeling program and reduce approval times for labels and formulas by employing a range of strategies, including:

Eliminating the need to obtain formula approval in certain instances;

Expanding the list of changes that can be made to approved labels without getting a new Certificate of Label Approval (COLA);

Updating COLAs Online and Formulas Online to better meet user needs and expectations;

Increasing guidance about label and formula requirements by improving content on TTB.gov and offering webinars; and

Adding staff to improve overall service levels.

When finalized, the updated labeling and advertising regulations will facilitate industry compliance by simplifying and clarifying regulatory standards, incorporating guidance documents and other current policies into the regulations, and reducing regulatory burden on industry members where possible.

We encourage public comments on the regulatory amendments proposed in the rulemaking document (Notice No. 176), particularly from affected industry members. In addition, we welcome suggestions for other changes to these regulations not specifically proposed in the rulemaking. We are accepting comments through March 26, 2019.

Please see the notice for instructions on how to submit a comment.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
So far in my ctrl+fing I've found this good bit:

quote:

Accordingly, proposed § 5.66(f) would
provide that the State of original
distillation for certain whisky products
must be shown on the label in at least
one of the following ways:
• By including a ‘‘distilled by’’ (or
‘‘distilled and bottled by’’ or any other
phrase including the word ‘‘distilled’’)
statement as part of the mandatory name
and address statement, followed by a
single location. This means that a
principal place of business or a list with
multiple locations would not suffice;
• By including the name of the State
in which original distillation occurred
immediately adjacent to the class or
type designation (such as ‘‘Kentucky
Bourbon whisky’’), as long as
distillation and any required aging
occurred in that State; or
• By including a separate statement,
such as ‘‘Distilled in [name of State].’’

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Also very some interesting stuff on pages 60596-60597. Ctrl-F "straight bourbon" to get straight to business.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pasting it right here even though the formatting blows, this is interesting stuff:

TTB also is proposing to codify the
holding set forth in Revenue Ruling 55–
740, that neutral spirits, other than grain
spirits, that are stored in wood barrels
become specialty products and must be
labeled in accordance with the
appropriate rules for such products set
forth in proposed § 5.156. Because
storage in wood barrels renders the
spirits not neutral, TTB’s predecessor
agency determined that consumers
would be misled if spirits, other than
grain spirits, were stored in wood
barrels and then labeled as neutral
spirits or vodka. Finally, the proposed
regulations include allowable
designations for neutral spirits labels.
TTB also is proposing to amend the
standard of identity for vodka, a type of
neutral spirit, to codify the holdings in
several past rulings: Ruling 55–552,
which holds that vodka may not be
stored in wood; Ruling 76–3, which
explains that vodka treated with
charcoal may be labeled as ‘‘charcoal
filtered’’; and Ruling 56–98 and Ruling
97–1, which allow treatment with 2
grams per liter of sugar and trace
amounts (1 gram per million) of citric
acid and sugar. In addition, TTB is
specifically seeking comment on
whether the requirement that vodka be
without distinctive character, aroma,
taste, or color should be retained and, if
this requirement is no longer
appropriate, what the appropriate
standards should be for distinguishing
vodka from other neutral spirits.
Proposed § 5.143 sets forth the
standards for whiskies. TTB proposes to
clarify that the word whisky may be
spelled ‘‘whisky’’ or ‘‘whiskey.’’ TTB
also proposes to require that, where a
whisky meets the standard for one of the
types of whiskies, it must be designated
with that type name, except that
Tennessee Whisky may be labeled as
Tennessee Whisky even if it meets the
standards for one of the type
designations. Currently, TTB allows the
term ‘‘Tennessee Whisky’’ to appear on
labels, even if the product meets a more
specific standard of identity, such as for
bourbon whisky.
In the current regulations, when a
whisky meets the standard for a type of
whisky, it is unclear whether the label
must use that type designation or may
use the general class ‘‘whisky’’ on the
label. TTB believes that consumers
expect that the type designation will
appear on the container when it applies.
Additionally, historical documents
indicate that TTB’s predecessor agencies
classified whiskies with the type
designation that applied, and required
that type to be the label designation. For
example, in January of 1937, the Federal
Alcohol Administration stated that
‘‘Where a product conforms to the
standard of identity for ‘Straight
Bourbon Whiskey’ it must be so
designated and it may not be designated
simply as ‘Whiskey.’’’ See FA–91, ‘‘A
Digest of Interpretations of Regulations
No. 5 Relating to Labeling and
Advertising of Distilled Spirits,’’ p. 5.
In order to make the types of whiskies
easier to understand, TTB proposes
inserting a chart in the regulations that
would set forth the types of whisky that
are not distinctive products of other
countries, the source material from
which the whisky may be produced,
whether storage is required, the proof at
which the whisky may be stored, and
whether neutral spirits and harmless,
coloring, flavoring, or blending
materials may be used. Among other
things, the proposed rule will codify in
the regulations for the first time TTB’s
current policy, as set forth in the
Distilled Spirits Beverage Alcohol
Manual (TTB P 5110.7), that coloring,
flavoring, or blending materials may not
be added to products designated as
‘‘bourbon whisky.’’
TTB also proposes to provide for a
new type designation of ‘‘white whisky
or unaged whisky.’’ TTB has seen a
marked increase in the number of
products on the market that are distilled
from grain but are unaged or that are
aged for very short periods of time.
Under current regulations, unaged
products would not be eligible for a
whisky designation (other than corn
whisky) and would have to be labeled
with a distinctive or fanciful name,
along with a statement of composition.
In order to provide guidance for these
products, TTB proposes that products
that are either unaged (so they are
colorless) or aged and then filtered to
remove color should be designated as
‘‘white whisky’’ or ‘‘unaged whisky,’’
respectively. This proposal represents a
change in policy, because currently all
whiskies (except corn whisky) must be
aged, although there is no minimum
time requirement for such aging. TTB
believes that currently some distillers
may be using a barrel for a very short
aging process solely for the purpose of
meeting the requirement to age for a
minimal time. Consequently, TTB is
proposing the new type designation of
‘‘white whisky or unaged whisky’’ and
specifically requests comments on this
new type and its standards.
In addition, TTB proposes to maintain
the definitions for Scotch Whisky,
Canadian Whisky, and Irish Whisky
without change, but seeks comment on
whether these standards should be
clarified to indicate that certain
standards for these types may differ
from U.S. standards for whisky. For
example, Scotch Whisky is whisky
produced in Scotland in accordance
with United Kingdom laws and
regulations, which do not require that
whisky be aged in new charred oak
barrels. TTB policy is to allow whisky
labeled as Scotch whisky to be
produced under United Kingdom
standards, and TTB seeks comment on
whether, and what, additional
clarifications in the regulations would
improve understanding of the TTB
labeling regulations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Ha! I was going to post this here as well.

Overall, I think it's much needed changes. But there's one big red flag I saw. I don't have my work laptop on me, but the tl;dr version is that someone tried to slide a clause in there that said something to the effect of "A barrel is defined as being about 50 gallons." For many of us who aren't already Heaven loving Hill, we've standardized to a 30 gallon barrel, not a 50. There's a host of reasons, but the short list is that 30gal barrels fit our batch size much more neatly, they're managable in a warehouse that only uses a simple forklift, and most small cooperages prefer to make 30's instead of 50's. (The 30gal is the sweet spot because it's big enough that the carpentry on it isn't to fiddly, but it's small enough that you don't have to throw away 80% of your lumber looking for "the perfect grain" in a long enough length to make a stave.)

I'll post more thoughts tomorrow.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Picked up a bottle of Stagg Jr. today for $52.99 and I think I found my new go to shop. Super friendly owner, tons of open bottles available for samples:

wild turkey Kentucky spirit store pick
Two different woodford double Oaked store picks
Two different types of Jefferson reserve
1792 small batch store pick

Not to mention a whole different shelf of open bottles that they must rotate through including some decent scotches I’d love to try (glenfarclas for example).

They also had some tougher to find stuff that I had to pass on today, midwinter’s night dram, four roses private selection (OBSF). I’m likely going to go back and get one of the four roses.

He also said they have two different 1792 store picks coming in, a buffalo trace store pick, and one other I can’t remember.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I just picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Batch Proof so that joins my recent acquisitions of Knob Creek Single Barrel and EH Taylor Straight Rye. I tasted a small amount and really like it. I've never drank much cask strength/higher proof whiskeys before now and I'm really enjoying the intensified flavors. Oddly enough, I'm on a pretty strict diet right now so I can't drink often at all so I had to sample the Woodford today by smelling and tasting it and spitting it out. I'll actually drink it later this coming week.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yuns posted:

I just picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Batch Proof so that joins my recent acquisitions of Knob Creek Single Barrel and EH Taylor Straight Rye. I tasted a small amount and really like it. I've never drank much cask strength/higher proof whiskeys before now and I'm really enjoying the intensified flavors. Oddly enough, I'm on a pretty strict diet right now so I can't drink often at all so I had to sample the Woodford today by smelling and tasting it and spitting it out. I'll actually drink it later this coming week.

Try to get your hands on a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (which also has a 12 year age statement) or Stagg Jr (younger, hotter, and IMO not as good, but very popular) for the top of the line cast strength experience. If you get a good batch you'll find all sorts of fruit and wood notes to explore.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I’m looking for the best bottles you can get for under $20. Any style of whiskey but no scotch. Rebel Yell and Black Velvet Reserve have been a long time go to for me but I’m looking to branch out.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I’m looking for the best bottles you can get for under $20. Any style of whiskey but no scotch. Rebel Yell and Black Velvet Reserve have been a long time go to for me but I’m looking to branch out.

I'm a long time Old Overholt partisan. It's price has crept up a bit, but still comfortably under $20 here. Evan Williams White (and others) are good at their price point. I've got a buddy who swears by Very Old Barton. If you can stretch your budget, my TW has Old Grand Dad 114 for $21 and it's absolutely worth every penny.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Wild Turkey 101

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Vox Nihili posted:

Try to get your hands on a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (which also has a 12 year age statement) or Stagg Jr (younger, hotter, and IMO not as good, but very popular) for the top of the line cast strength experience. If you get a good batch you'll find all sorts of fruit and wood notes to explore.
Thanks for the recommendation. My local shop has EC Barrel Proof for just under $60.