Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I downloaded this and was all happy and excited and sat down with my pro controller ready to play and then thirty seconds later I was furious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

I downloaded this and was all happy and excited and sat down with my pro controller ready to play and then thirty seconds later I was furious

Of all the changes they made to the core mechanics of the game, this is by far the weirdest and worst decision they made

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's your loving fault then it's literally the first thing anyone talks about

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Woah.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

?????????

I watched like three reviews and none of them mentioned it. To be fair, the IGN one also didn't mention the lack of abilities or held items, but jesus dude

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

What are you talking about? I’ve read a lot about this game and the fact you can’t use the pro controller with it hasn’t been mentioned anywhere.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I've been trying to not go on the teleporters cause then I can't tell where the hell I am

get the key card and never worry about any teleports that isnt the one that takes you to giovanni

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I bought the pack with the Pokéball but still the first thing I tried was using my Pro controller.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Boy the motion controls in docked mode are bad. It’s meant to be better in handheld, right?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

I have some bad news for you, the internet has broken your brain.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Escobarbarian posted:

Boy the motion controls in docked mode are bad. It’s meant to be better in handheld, right?

Mainly cause you have more control over your throw. And you can follow a Pokémon if it leaps around left or right which you can't do in docked mode.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Cool let’s go talk about the controllers again.
Today I see people have been mentioning problems with the pokeball plus after a controller update, drifting, etc

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Handheld mode is more convenient, but it's kind of a fun learning curve to get a handle on the docked pokeball throwing. If it's right in front of me I can get it no problem, and if it's on the side I can get it, but if it's like a Zubat swaying back and forth I have to wait for it to hit one of the three spots. I've heard people have trouble throwing to the side, to which I offer this: if you dab with the controller in your hand you will do a perfect side throw

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Handheld does seem to be the most “controlled” way to catch, followed maybe by pokeball controller, finally docked with joycon being the least (for me personally)

Also am I the only one using the wrist strap on the plus as a leash to actually toss it? With the thumb ring it just spins right back into my hand and I get excellents pretty easily.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I found that trying to do an overhand or underhand throw left or right never works. Instead, just hold the joycon horizontally and flick left or right and it works most times. Similarly, actually making a throwing motion to go forward is sketchy and results in the throw being randomly too weak or too strong. I hold the joycon 45 degrees to the horizontal then flick it forward to a horizontal position and it usually behaves.

Or go into handheld mode when catching as it's not so hosed up.

It's bizarre that the catching mode is really optimised for handheld mode because handheld mode also locks you out of a lot of cool stuff like getting gifts from Eevee, having it react to events in game, having a co-op partner (or your clone) help you catch or battle, etc. I guess it expects you to Switch (!!!) between the two modes as necessary, which unfortunately breaks up the flow a bit and just feels annoying.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

It's bizarre that the catching mode is really optimised for handheld mode because handheld mode also locks you out of a lot of cool stuff like getting gifts from Eevee, having it react to events in game, having a co-op partner (or your clone) help you catch or battle, etc. I guess it expects you to Switch (!!!) between the two modes as necessary, which unfortunately breaks up the flow a bit and just feels annoying.

Handheld mode also locks you out of about 50% of the EXP bonuses you can get from catching, meaning if you want to grind you basically have to do it in Docked mode

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The worst thing about the single joy-con control for me is that I’m either constantly moving my thumb between the analogue stick and face buttons, which is annoying, or holding the joy-con with both hands to have one thumb on each bit, which feels weird and bad.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

The worst thing about the single joy-con control for me is that I’m either constantly moving my thumb between the analogue stick and face buttons, which is annoying, or holding the joy-con with both hands to have one thumb on each bit, which feels weird and bad.

Try the shoulder buttons.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I can sympathize with the switching w/ directional, and yeah shoulder buttons work better for me at least.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Beat the Elite 4. Caught Mewtwo with a Premier ball. I am the loving champion.

Master trainers now popped up all over the place and god drat there’s a lot of them. I think I’ll work on completing the Dex first before trying to mess with any of these people.

Final team was Haunter / Lapras / Porygon / Arcanine / Venusaur / Magneton aka the best gen 1 Pokémon.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Do the gifts from Eevee do anything, or are they vendor trash? Similarly, do you do anything special with the Tiny and Big Mushrooms? The flavor text suggests you should be able to sell them to "a collector" but I haven't run into anything of the sort. Just ordinary vendor trash?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Master trainers now popped up all over the place and god drat there’s a lot of them. I think I’ll work on completing the Dex first before trying to mess with any of these people.

Final team was Haunter / Lapras / Porygon / Arcanine / Venusaur / Magneton aka the best gen 1 Pokémon.

Magnezone was a mistake

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Maybe someday they'll release a Pokemon game where you skip everything and jump straight into endgame collecting/training/battling Pokemon. :stare:

Pokemon: Galaxy Brain Edition

This, but unironically.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
So, this might do a lot to explain why so many people are seeing shiny rates that seem to be significantly worse than what the numbers commonly cited would suggest

https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonLetsGo/comments/a04czm/the_true_shiny_rates_in_lets_go_serebiis/

TL;DR Version: you need to make the non-shiny pokemon despawn in some way rather than waiting for them to disappear on their own, either by encountering them or by doing a zone change.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Uhhhhh have people not been doing this already? Considering it can take 30+ seconds for a pokemon to run away Ive just been encountering them and then running to spawn new ones faster

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also be sure to fight the Elite 4 again at some point, after beating the game they change things up a bit and add in some Alolan forms and Mega Evolutions (also every Pokemon they use is now LV 50 or higher).

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Woo, copped a shiny ponyta while chaining eevees

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Dad Jokes posted:

One thing I hope doesn't ever carry over to other games is having random wild pokes running away. It sucks poo poo dumping a bunch of ultra balls on an annoying dude only for them to run away.

The entei/raikou/suicune runaway poo poo in gen 2 was bad enough.

They should let you have your party Pokémon do status moves on wild Pokémon, similar to using berries. Mean Look, T-wave, etc.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Huh? I play in handheld mode all the time, Eevee still gives me gifts. Not sure what all events there are though. I've done the fountain one if it's stuff like that.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

A Spider Covets posted:

Huh? I play in handheld mode all the time, Eevee still gives me gifts. Not sure what all events there are though. I've done the fountain one if it's stuff like that.

If you're in Docked mode there will be a little animation of eevee waving a joycon at you that lets you know it has a gift waiting for you. It will also show up during battle once and you can give your pokemon a buff to all stats

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If you're in Docked mode there will be a little animation of eevee waving a joycon at you that lets you know it has a gift waiting for you. It will also show up during battle once and you can give your pokemon a buff to all stats

Ohhhh. Ok, yeah that's a bummer. I gave up on TV mode when I tried catching Pokemon on it the first time and have been handheld since.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

A Spider Covets posted:

Ohhhh. Ok, yeah that's a bummer. I gave up on TV mode when I tried catching Pokemon on it the first time and have been handheld since.

She will also react to events around you like making an anime :stonk: face when Bill turns back into a human when you wiggle the joycon. Gameplay wise you're not missing anything (unlike not being able to summon your clone in battles/catching mode in handheld mode) but it's cute as heck and you will be a better person for seeing it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Eminai posted:

So, this might do a lot to explain why so many people are seeing shiny rates that seem to be significantly worse than what the numbers commonly cited would suggest

https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonLetsGo/comments/a04czm/the_true_shiny_rates_in_lets_go_serebiis/

TL;DR Version: you need to make the non-shiny pokemon despawn in some way rather than waiting for them to disappear on their own, either by encountering them or by doing a zone change.

Well that explains why I haven't had any luck on Pokemon Road and Viridian Forest. Both are contained areas. I noticed that behavior traveling between Route 9/10 and the Power Plant when trying to spawn a Dratini (and getting a shiny Magikarp.)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Brock dresses like a frikkin tourist

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pokemon Let's Go has divided us over the controllers, so I think it's time we agree it's the worst game

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hustlin Floh posted:

Pokemon Let's Go has divided us over the controllers, so I think it's time we agree it's the worst game

every Pokemon game divides us though

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Nodosaur posted:

every Pokemon game divides us though

inherently so, since they come in two versions

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

I mean...he is. He's a Japanese man flying to Hawaii. Is there anything wrong with a tourist dressing as one?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nodosaur posted:

Alolan forms Brock and Misty look really cute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Pokémon anime being an eternal limbo where no one grows old sounds like hell