Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

Oh. That is a... very obscure reference. I mean if people feel strongly about it we can ban it but I don't think it rises to the level of automatic probation, although it's pretty lovely that in the original context it was about homeless people falling victim to an uncaring and malicious government lol.

I dunno, I think the idea that likening MAGA folks to a subset of individuals affected by a toxic environment exacerbated by government negligence that then go on to prey on the most vulnerable kinda rings true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ague Proof posted:

That's chode. Rhymes with toad.

Ahhhhhhh I see. Yeah that's what I thought chud was lol. Is this movie known because of Chapo? I bet it's because of Chapo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lightning Knight posted:

I seem to vaguely recall that it means "a small fat penis" but perhaps I am misremembering.

There's no need to play games, if it means something really offensive then just let me know or PM me or whatever.

That's a chub.

Theres a movie called C.H.U.D. where there is a mutant race of subhuman cannibal creatures.

It's not really playing a game, because I wanted to know of you knew where that slang came from because its otherwise fairly obvious why I brought it up in a discussion on probating someone for dehumanizing people.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Ahhhhhhh I see. Yeah that's what I thought chud was lol. Is this movie known because of Chapo? I bet it's because of Chapo.

No!!! Chud and chud 2 colon bud the chud are American classics.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Kale posted:

I actually learned about this from a now banned Simpsons episode where they go to NYC

They use it on Futurama too.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

exploded mummy posted:

That's a chub.

Theres a movie called C.H.U.D. where there is a mutant race of subhuman cannibal creatures.

It's not really playing a game, because I wanted to know of you knew where that slang came from because its otherwise fairly obvious why I brought it up in a discussion on probating someone for dehumanizing people.

I mean generally speaking, the reason it came up is because historically the use of "ape" with regard to people has explicit racial connotation, and also Skex is just a poo poo poster lol. I disagree with dehumanizing right-wing people in general but I don't think it carries the same weight as historical dehumanization of non-white people, since nobody has ever nor is likely ever to create a movement built around dehumanizing and slaughtering right-wingers.

(do not respond to this post with "sadly," because I have already predicted your joke and thus it is not funny)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

nobody has ever nor is likely ever to create a movement built around dehumanizing and slaughtering right-wingers.

The French revolution is a thing that happened. Also Soviet Russia. Also Vietnam. Also like half of South America.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Zil posted:

They use it on Futurama too.

I know. Leela Subplot. Miss that show so much. :(

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lightning Knight posted:

DrNutt posted:

Anyone complaining about chud here on these forums is probably just a whiny pissbaby about the term being popularized by Chapo trap house.

:wink:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kale posted:

I actually learned about this from a now banned Simpsons episode where they go to NYC

The Simpsons actually show them in "Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder" when Homer attempts suicide, but is saved by a bungie-jumping Otto, where Homer's mass and momentum causes them to go through a manhole cover and see CHUDs, Morlocks, and finally Mole Men, led by their Emperor, Hans Moleman.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Skex posted:

How does my pointing out a basic reality imply that people should just deal with it?

It's a statement of fact not an endorsement or expression of support for that fact. And while I was replying to PJ my response was aimed at the entire Dems are bad brigade most of whom are not minorities.

You have no clue about the future that I envision, which is the same as you described, this is not a disagreement on the goal it is a disagreement on how to get there.

Recognition of the very real challenges in pushing that vision in an objective rational manner is an important part of overcoming those challenges.

If I had my preference we'd not just have single payer we'd just go straight to a government funded and operated Healthcare system.

The challenge is how to convince a bunch of irrational, ignorant apes of this while another group of people who have us outgunned and have a level of solidarity of purpose that the left can only envy.

That's why I ask what would you have me do that I'm not already doing?

As I said this isn't a just world. Recognition of that is not a value statement. I never said that it's how it should be.

I totally get it, but I want to hear you say it.

What do you want to do to the people who you view as your enemy? You know to those people who aren't ready to go murder millions of people to achieve the world you want? Those of us who insufficiently ideologically pure for your tastes, who are willing to give people the benefit of the doubt on their intentions.

Who aren't willing to become Fascists to beat Fascists.

Maybe I'm totally missing what the Dems are bad brigade are suggesting? If so please enlighten me. How do you propose that we deal with the reality that close to half of all humans aren't simply perfectly fine with the status quo but are actively working to undo any progress that has been accomplished in the past?

What's your plan for getting this poo poo done?

What beyond vote for the best candidate in each election? What beyond speaking up when we see an injustice?

If you have a better answer I'm wide open to it. But how the heck are we supposed to discuss the virtues of such a plan when it's never actually defined?

It's easy to complain about someone else screwing something up, it's something entirely different when you have to come up with the answers yourself.

I mean I get that it's frustrating and that it is emotionally satisfying to lash out at convenient targets and no I'm not suddenly going to start supporting fascism because someone lashed out at me from a place a pain and frustration and called me a bad thing (like centrist).

My personal ideological framework is more resilient than that.

While I'm frustrated with the conversation I actually respect many of the posters on the other side of this discussion and I am trying to engage in good faith.

I have a lot of respect for KM and PJ in particular and it does bother me that they don't view me as an ally anytime that I happen to disagree on something. It's frustrating because I am legitimately trying to be a good ally because I do strongly believe in the same cause.

Because believe it or not, we do share the same goal (assuming they are what i am harry laid out. That is the goal right? A world where people aren't punished for things that are outside of their control. Where people don't have to choose between taking a lovely miserable job for too little pay or starving in the streets. Where the powerful don't get to harm others for their own gain and where we are not Terra forming the planet into a place that is not hospitable to human life.

Where white privilege, male privilege, straight privilege are just historical oddities that are studied by anthropologists.

That is the desired end point right?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

What the gently caress are you talking about? The nost extreme things in this thread is maybe Pelosi shouldn't be speaker (she will be), Manchin shouldn't be a senator (he still is), and maybe the magical center right triangulation of ClintonObamaSchumerOtherClintonPelosiKerryKaineLieberman and the rest of the garbage the democratic party has left flaming on our doorsteps for 30 years isn't cutting it.

No one is marching you into a goddamn gas chamber. Get off the cross.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Young Freud posted:

The Simpsons actually show them in "Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder" when Homer attempts suicide, but is saved by a bungie-jumping Otto, where Homer's mass and momentum causes them to go through a manhole cover and see CHUDs, Morlocks, and finally Mole Men, led by their Emperor, Hans Moleman.

Yeah I remember that one too.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KillHour posted:

The French revolution is a thing that happened. Also Soviet Russia. Also Vietnam. Also like half of South America.

The Reign of Terror topped out at roughly 17,000 people, the Soviet Union mostly killed Ukrainians outside of war time, the Vietnamese did not engage in mass executions near as I can tell, only re-education camps where they sent roughly 300,000 people, and I'm not sure what specific thing in South America you're referring to, perhaps Venezuela? Which is a little bit busy falling to pieces to be organizing genocides.

Not to say that any of these examples weren't bad, because they are bad, but I don't think any of them qualify as "rounding up and slaughtering right-wingers" in the same way as say, the Holocaust was the rounding up and slaughtering of Jewish people and other "undesirable" marginalized groups.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/jos21bell/status/1066475780157390848?s=21

Imagine this motherfucker stepping up to your office door.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You said people never built a movement around it, not that there was never one as successful as the Nazis. There were definitely movements around violent removal of right wingers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobin

Edit: I know you know who the Jacobin were. I put the link here for context.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 25, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

If the person who received this letter started a GoFundMe or something the media would cover it as a feel good story like that story they did on the kid who was selling lemonade or something to pay for his service dog.

At least until she gets kicked off of any state assistance programs or loses subsidized insurance for making too much money.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Yes thats right. The nazis are duhumanizing people using a reference from a 1984 movie that grossed 4.7 mil.

I think this one of those dumb leftist eating each other things.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KillHour posted:

You said people never built a movement around it, not that there was never one as successful as the Nazis. There were definitely movements around violent removal of right wingers.

Granted that you are correct about my wording, their lack of success and prominence is precisely why it matters. Leftists make semi-ironic jokes about guillotining their opponents that are mostly harmless because leftists are unlikely to ever have the power to do that and many leftists today would actually object to the practice if it came to that. Right-wingers joke about committing genocide against the undesirables and it's scary because they've succeeded at doing exactly that in the past, repeatedly.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Sergeant at Arms are ridiculously loving badass. One time a nutjob started shooting up the parliament building in Ottawa and this guy Kevin Vickers took him down single-handily before he could do any major damage.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

KillHour posted:

Edit: I know you know who the Jacobin were. I put the link here for context.

The longer we go while conservatives drag their heels on action to combat climate change, the more likely it is that violent removal of right wingers will be necessary to save human civilization.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Granted that you are correct about my wording, their lack of success and prominence is precisely why it matters. Leftists make semi-ironic jokes about guillotining their opponents that are mostly harmless because leftists are unlikely to ever have the power to do that and many leftists today would actually object to the practice if it came to that. Right-wingers joke about committing genocide against the undesirables and it's scary because they've succeeded at doing exactly that in the past, repeatedly.

Considering "overthrow the government" is a defacto leftist position while "use the government to enforce religious/racial/economic castes" is generally a hard-right thing, isn't that a tautology? I mean, fascists have the power of the state while anarchists... don't. Doesn't mean fascists want to hurt people any more or less than the anarchists do.

Edit: I'm not saying calling someone a Nazi or a chud should be probatable.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 25, 2018

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Google Butt posted:

She's done something already, upset establishment dems, their supporters and dunked on multiple chuds. Says a lot that you don't see the value in this.

So her only accomplishment is "owning the libs".

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Then the United States healthcare system comes to her in the avatar of Bugs Bunny eating a carrot. He says "Ain't I a stinker!?" and then she dies of heart failure.

Later her family is sued by Warner Brothers due to their loved one committing copyright infringement in her dying hallucination.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KillHour posted:

Considering "overthrow the government" is a defacto leftist position while "use the government to enforce religious/racial/economic castes" is generally a hard-right thing, isn't that a tautology? I mean, fascists have the power of the state while anarchists... don't. Doesn't mean fascists want to hurt people any more or less than the anarchists do.

I think this is a fairly huge assumption tbh.

We're straying far from the thread topic now though and I will drop it for now to keep things orderly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

KillHour posted:

I mean, there are other reasons why you might assume fascists to be more automatically predisposed to violence than anarchists. Like, y'know, an eternity of purifying violence being the actual, explicit endgame of fascism. Seriously, Mussolini and Hitler spell this poo poo out.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

I know its your thing but Jesus you are dumb.

Im not even American and I can see the significance of her being able to motivate and mobilize a large section of the Dem base that has typically been silent or absent for the last 30 years in such a short period of time.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fulchrum posted:

holy gently caress i slept through all the rest of november, december, and most of january to inauguration day apparently

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Is he carrying the mace?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Furnaceface posted:

Im not even American and I can see the significance of her being able to motivate and mobilize a large section of the Dem base that has typically been silent or absent for the last 30 years in such a short period of time.

also i'd argue that her getting Pelosi and such apparently onside for at least putting together a special committee on climate change and that sort of thing is more important than 'upsetting establishment dems and their supporters', which frankly i haven't seen a ton of evidence of anyway

it's a good sign for January

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Is he carrying the mace?

No, but he's probably got his ceremonial sword.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

i feel like the facebook thing should be a bigger deal

but i guess they're still pouring over the documents to find the incriminating evidence

Darth Walrus posted:

No, but he's probably got his ceremonial sword.

pretty sure he's got both? mace over the shoulder, sword in his other hand? that's what the picture looks like to me

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

People know that humans are literally apes right? We are great apes, together with orangutans, chimpanzees, bonobos, and gorillas. The feeling that I got from Skex's post was that humans are irrational and illogical and at our core animals. It was a lovely way to phrase it, and deserved admonishment, but I don't think that it was what everybody seems to be assuming here.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RaySmuckles posted:

but i guess they're still pouring over the documents to find the incriminating evidence

pretty sure he's got both? mace over the shoulder, sword in his other hand? that's what the picture looks like to me

So far they don't seem to even have anything in particular in mind to charge Facebook with, they're just investigating the poo poo out of the whole Cambridge Analytica debacle and Facebook is being uncooperative (presumably because their internal handling of the security issues was very, very, very bad even if they weren't actually conspiring with anybody about anything).

:hf:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 25, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

RaySmuckles posted:

poring

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

nah, they're all lushes and just spilling their room-temperature swill all over the documents

sorry i wasn't clear

its an old parliamentary tradition

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RaySmuckles posted:

I meant in the scenario where he's knocking on your door. Unless you happen to live in the Houses of Parliament. Lesser doors are officially undeserving of the mace - that's what the seven-foot-tall British-Moroccan guy is for.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

Not to mention if you look at her track record what more could she have done? Like literally. She was a random bartender a year and a half ago. Since then she mobilized a legit grassroots campaign, successfully defeated Pelosi's protege in a primary, won a seat in the house, and is expertly using social media to galvanize the left and clown on the right. And there's still over a month before she's officially a rep. What more could people possibly want? She isn't going to sprout wings and breath fire out of her mouth destroying all capitalism in the next 2 days.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

I meant in the scenario where he's knocking on your door. Unless you happen to live in the Houses of Parliament. Lesser doors are officially undeserving of the mace - that's what the seven-foot-tall British-Moroccan guy is for.

sorry, i thought the 7 foot tall moroccan guy was the sarjent at arms

Kale
May 14, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

In the context of the post he's quoting it's pretty apt though. I don't know why some people expect everyone to assign the same weight to scoring internet achievements like dunks for your preferred political viewpoint on social media versus passing actual progressive legislation. Of course not everyone thinks this way.

That only works if you consider those internet things to be her actual sole accomplishments and it's a good thing they aren't. Getting elected to congress with a net worth that is a fraction of the average congresspersons is legitimately impressive in it's own right and could prove to be a glass ceiling shattering moment.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

also i'd argue that her getting Pelosi and such apparently onside for at least putting together a special committee on climate change and that sort of thing is more important than 'upsetting establishment dems and their supporters', which frankly i haven't seen a ton of evidence of anyway

it's a good sign for January

Forging an early alliance with a powerful party leader like Pelosi is also huge and shows she knows how to play the game already. A lot of things are more important than upsetting establishment Dems and their supporters by the way.

I don't know maybe we should bring out the score card when she's served a full term in a majority caucus and there's an actual metric to use assuming she gets on a committee and isn't relegated to the back bench. By all rights she should be on that Climate Change committee since it was her idea in the first place.

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

GreyjoyBastard posted:

So far they don't seem to even have anything in particular in mind to charge Facebook with, they're just investigating the poo poo out of the whole Cambridge Analytica debacle and Facebook is being uncooperative (presumably because their internal handling of the security issues was very, very, very bad even if they weren't actually conspiring with anybody about anything).

If only someone would have warned Facebook and Zuck ahead of time that not respecting the privacy enforcement interests of a country could cause that county's government to play hardball in revenge...

quote:

Every nation founded on democratic principles has a strong and legitimate interest in ensuring that the security and privacy of the people it is charged with protecting are not improperly or unduly invaded. Failure to accommodate that legitimate sovereign interest threatens to provoke dangerous reciprocation by foreign governments—at great potential cost to U.S. citizens and service providers.

Amicus brief filed in US v. Microsoft on Jan 18th 2018, joined by Facebook, Inc.

Oh.