Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Javid posted:

Is Black Friday a new concept for you? I can't imagine ordering anything that costs 3 digits shortly before or on Thanksgiving, for the reasons you're encountering.

A lot of the Google deals were revealed prior to Black Friday. I mistakenly thought they had already tipped their hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

azurite posted:

A lot of the Google deals were revealed prior to Black Friday. I mistakenly thought they had already tipped their hand.

Not an unreasonable assumption. The Fi team is likely separate and doesn't have the marketing to pre-announce their deals?

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
Whenever I try to purchase a Pixel 3 while logged into my Fi account it's coming up without the $150 off. Do I need to do something special for the $150 and $200 bill credit to both apply? A cursory search for an answer wasn't fruitful.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

jfff posted:

Whenever I try to purchase a Pixel 3 while logged into my Fi account it's coming up without the $150 off. Do I need to do something special for the $150 and $200 bill credit to both apply? A cursory search for an answer wasn't fruitful.

Are you doing it through fi.google.com?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It doesn't actually show that one as a discount, just as a new "regular" price. If it's showing as $649 instead of $800 or whatever, you're good.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Deathlove posted:

Are you doing it through fi.google.com?

Yes, through fi.google.com it's showing up as $799 - $200 credit = $599 total for 64 gb Pixel 3.
Guess I'll tinker around a bit then contact support if I can't figure it out.

Edit: I'm stupid, ignore me.

jfff fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 25, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I figured I had nothing to lose, so I emailed Fi Support to see if they could price-match my Pixel 3 XL order from the 12th. They just got back to me asking for my order info, so that's a good sign. Fingers crossed!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My Nexus 5X is crawling along like a dying dog so I double checked the Fi store to make sure they still had that Moto G6 I wanted for $200. They didn't but instead had it for $99 :woop:

My girlfriend and I have also been discussing a phone for the 11 year old, and we decided to pull the trigger on this, having decided a bit ago to just put her on my account and limit data usage when possible. Wanted to buy the phone now in case the price went back up Tuesday or whenever.

I say that because I'm not 100% sure what happens. We bought it through my Google account so I assume that when I get it, we just add the stepdaughter's Gmail account to mine, and register the phone? Is it just that simple?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My Nexus 5X is crawling along like a dying dog so I double checked the Fi store to make sure they still had that Moto G6 I wanted for $200. They didn't but instead had it for $99 :woop:

My girlfriend and I have also been discussing a phone for the 11 year old, and we decided to pull the trigger on this, having decided a bit ago to just put her on my account and limit data usage when possible. Wanted to buy the phone now in case the price went back up Tuesday or whenever.

I say that because I'm not 100% sure what happens. We bought it through my Google account so I assume that when I get it, we just add the stepdaughter's Gmail account to mine, and register the phone? Is it just that simple?

It looks like there's a Family Link app for children under 13 according to their group plan directions:
https://support.google.com/fi/answer/7131470?hl=en

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How's the switching on fi now? I know people have complained about it staying stuck in to crappy connections in the past

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

How's the switching on fi now? I know people have complained about it staying stuck in to crappy connections in the past

I've never heard nor had any complaints; FiSwitch is a free app that copies the code to your clipboard and immediately opens your dialer so you can paste it in. Or if you pay however much for the 'premium' version it doesn't open up your dialer for you to paste in the series of digits, it just does it once you press the button.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had problems years ago and manually switching was too annoying to do. I didn't want to babysit my connection multiple times a day.

If it's better now, I don't know. If switching apps are still recommended, I'm not enticed to come back to Fi.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Uthor posted:

I had problems years ago and manually switching was too annoying to do. I didn't want to babysit my connection multiple times a day.

If it's better now, I don't know. If switching apps are still recommended, I'm not enticed to come back to Fi.

I mean I probably manually switch carriers a maximum of 5 times per year :shrug:

I definitely don't think switching apps are necessary, but it's a nice addition to have just in case you think that switching carrier could troubleshoot connection issues.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I still recommend switching apps or you'll be stuck on the garbage fire that is Sprint a LOT of the time. Sprint gives me all of the problems I have on this carrier. Including calls not going through and texts not working.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I used to switch a couple of times a week, and I think I probably haven't used the switch app now in a month or two.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Grabbed the x4 for my kid while it's on sale. He's going to flip out.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

a mysterious cloak posted:

Grabbed the x4 for my kid while it's on sale. He's going to flip out.

The Motorola karate chop to turn on the flashlight is the greatest thing

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Went ahead and got an Pixel 3 XL and the plan. I only need to keep it for 2 months to keep the discount so if I find it's not working I can switch back out pretty soon I suppose.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The switching can be lovely sometimes. I suspect that it's weighted to whatever network is cheaper by whatever deal Google has with them in that area, so you might get dumped onto the second best option for that reason. Sometimes it can be really aggro and dump 2 bars of solid lte for 2.1 bars on another carrier which is stupid.

canyoneer posted:

Seconded.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Wait, is the karate chop Motorola-only?

That might be a dealbreaker for the Pixel.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The karate chop irks me often, as half the time it turns on the Moto camera instead.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

canyoneer posted:

Definitely. That and the doorknob twist for the camera.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Fi Support got back to me. No go on the price-matching. Well, I learned my lesson - getting poo poo done early is fine but pay the gently caress attention to when Black Friday is! :doh:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/11/27/googles-project-fi-opens-up-to-samsung-oneplus-and-iphones/

Looks like Google will officially allow non-Fi phones to be activated on Fi. Including iPhones and Galaxy phones.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/11/27/googles-project-fi-opens-up-to-samsung-oneplus-and-iphones/

Looks like Google will officially allow non-Fi phones to be activated on Fi. Including iPhones and Galaxy phones.

Ok that’s pretty cool.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

So what is the point of that other than overpaying for t-mobile? The network switching is the only redeeming feature that makes pay-per-gig worth it to me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Javid posted:

So what is the point of that other than overpaying for t-mobile? The network switching is the only redeeming feature that makes pay-per-gig worth it to me.

IMO the international stuff.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah true. I don't travel internationally as a thing but I did visit BC back in the spring and just not having to think about cell service was a huge help.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

I really like the Hangouts integration with desktop (though, that may be less of an issue with other carriers with Messenger). Also, I use very little data, so it winds up being cheaper than T-Mobile for me.

It's definitely not for everyone, though.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Javid posted:

If you don't use much data, Fi is less than half the price of T-Mobile monthly. My bill has been $25.xx since I signed up 3 years ago because I use WiFi for the majority of my data usage. The cheapest T-Mobile plan I can find is $60/mo.

I'm interested to find out what this is all about because I'll be damned if I'm spending twice what I spent on my (awful) Nexus 6P on a phone anytime soon. I wonder if network switching apps will still work, provided the phone being used has the hardware to communicate with both networks.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://slickdeals.net/f/12372796-buy-any-project-fi-phone-including-pixel-3-and-3-xl-receive-a-travel-gift-card-of-equal-value#commentsBox

Buy any Project Fi phone (including Pixel 3 and 3 XL), receive a travel gift card of equal value

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm curious, now. I have a 5s on T-Mobile, and I rarely use data on it. I'm tempted to either switch the 5s over or pick up a Moto G6 and switch to Android.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I really like Fi and it helps that we barely use data. My wife and I combined rarely ever go over 2GB/month. We also live in an area blanketed with Optimum wi-fi which helps a bit.

Okay, now they're just taunting me.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
If I am an existing Fi customer and I grab a new Pixel 3 today, do I only get the travel credit? The phone shows as $799 on the Fi app, what's all this talk of $200 off the phone?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

BrownieVK posted:

If I am an existing Fi customer and I grab a new Pixel 3 today, do I only get the travel credit? The phone shows as $799 on the Fi app, what's all this talk of $200 off the phone?

Promo changed but some of the wording is still showing echos. The $200 is for BYOD and doesn't stack with the travel credit

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Looks like they upped the referral credit temporarily too.

Not sure if there's a referral chain thread or something, but here's my link if anyone needs one for some free money when switching.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

quote:

After the terms have been satisfied, the customer will receive an email from Google Fi (around 75 - 90 days after device activation) with instructions on how to obtain a gift card from Tango subject to Tango’s terms and conditions. The user can redeem gift card amounts with select travel partners:Airbnb, Delta Air Lines, Hotels.com, and Southwest Airlines. Gift cards may also be subject to the terms of the travel partners.

We talking about blackout dates? Only for use on certain fares? I don't want to end up with gift cards I can't use or that aren't worth the full value.

I pay $799 for a Pixel 3, -$250 for trade in Pixel 2 = $549. And I still get $799 mysterious travel vouchers in 90 days.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 28, 2018

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TheEye posted:

Looks like they upped the referral credit temporarily too.

Not sure if there's a referral chain thread or something, but here's my link if anyone needs one for some free money when switching.

Yep! It's at $100 for adding someone while they get $20.

My link is here!

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Keep thinking about this travel deal. I have a honeymoon planned, but not bought, for next year. I initially bought a 6P for Fi for $500, which was upgraded for free to a Pixel XL. I figured I wouldn't really need an update as it still works fine, but if I'm offered an essentially free Pixel 3 then I'm not sure I can resist. Wondering how many more years my initial $500 will take me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Javid posted:

Is T-Mobile really that cheap? I just switched from an iPhone on AT&T to a Pixel 3 on Fi and I'm saving like $60 a month. $20 + gigs seems as cheap as possible for cell plans these days, but then again I was on an $85 AT&T plan for the past 10 years so maybe I'm just out of the loop.