Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Guillermus posted:

I just couldn't run Arx Fatalis both vanilla and with unofficial patch on my PC like 3 months ago (win10 x64). I could launch it but as soon as I started a game a black screen is the only thing I got with steam release.

Should run perfectly fine on win10 x64 with Arx Libertatis, but if you want to launch from steam you'll have to install it directly into the Arx Fatalis directory so it overwrites the exe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I've never had any problems with Arx, whether playing it on the Xbox back when it was new or nowadays with Libertatis.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Reveal trailer I just saw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwHRPVrZVgM

Seems interesting. Definitely getting Brutal Doom vibes from it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Looks pretty fun, but the graphics looks weirdly scaled to be honest. Reminds me of playing Doom 3 at the absolute minimum resolution because my I didn't have a graphics card.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Convex posted:

Looks pretty fun, but the graphics looks weirdly scaled to be honest. Reminds me of playing Doom 3 at the absolute minimum resolution because my I didn't have a graphics card.

That's exactly what it looks like. Flashbacks to when I was stuck with a geforce 6200 and had to lower the resolution on every game I played

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yah that’s way too much. Big chunky hud + big chunky guns + blood everywhere + blood and particles. Ew.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It looks great to me but I do wish this era of "I'm gonna squish the rendering resolution down 2x and then blow it back up to screen size" retro game simulation would end already. It looks good for Quake, but it doesn't look good for indie game #265238 trying the same trick.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Honestly it'd be better searved without the pseudo-retro graphics entirely. It's false nostalgia for nostalgia's sake and I hate nostalgia. I like the games that do it well, like Dusk and Ion Maiden not because they're throwbacks but because they're just a lot of fun to play.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I see the D in that logo, nice try

The enemy movement looks jankier than vanilla Quake. The video is a nearly unintelligible mess on a phone which doesn’t say much for the art direction.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Boy if you ever missed playing games on the Atari Jaguar, you're in luck.

This game could be interesting but it looks worse than Strafe, which is saying something. How hideous.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It looks like low resolution and no animation interpolation combined with modern lighting and textures so I can't even tell what they are trying to do.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I don't mind it. Kind of reminds me of a FPS "Butcher". Got it watchlisted now. :smugdog:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

When you come after nostalgia, what's next? Are you gonna come for my drat Max Payne mousepad? Is my Dreamcast not magical holistic medicine anymore?

I agree this game's aesthetic isn't necessarily great though, but low budget indie games going for retro cool is an idea that I can get.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 24, 2018

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't mind it. Kind of reminds me of a FPS "Butcher". Got it watchlisted now. :smugdog:

Wouldn't mind a FPS Splatterhouse.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i think the problem with retro graphics is the approach is wrong a lot of the time.

it's not a case of making your game look bad, if you want it to come off well you need to pick a set of restrictions and then make the game look as good as you can within those restrictions, because that's what the designers of the games you're inspired by were doing. its i think why ion maiden does so well, and to me even dusk goes a little too far in making the game look bad, but just the weapon models. i think the rest of the game is fairly dead-on but those first person weapon models would not have flown at the time.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The weapon models look like store-bought unity assets tbh. They just give off a really incohesive or amateur vibe before the downscaling stuff is put in.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You guys strike me as a rather wholesome bunch, I'm surprised you guys ripped into that game so hard. Still, when you're right you're right

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i think the gameplay looks cool, i just dunno about the graphical style

reminds me of project msx for doom, if anyone remembers that

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's a lot of ways to pull off an old-looking game, the issue is just that like 3/4ths of the devs who aim for it overperform in throwing in whatever 'nostalgic' aspects they can think of without considering it all as a whole

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I like how it works I'd just like more room on the screen

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's the double-edged sword of going hard in on the selling based on nostalgia thing. Everybody you're selling to on nostalgia has a serious risk of breaking the rose colored glasses when your attempt doesn't line up enough with what we remember.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i think the gameplay looks cool, i just dunno about the graphical style

reminds me of project msx for doom, if anyone remembers that

Project MSX is drat great imo.

I dig the gameplay but I'd like to tone down some if their nostalgia graphic settings. Too much blood and kind of blurry all around.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

fishmech posted:

It's the double-edged sword of going hard in on the selling based on nostalgia thing. Everybody you're selling to on nostalgia has a serious risk of breaking the rose colored glasses when your attempt doesn't line up enough with what we remember.

I think that's a mistake Prodeus is making. It's low-res and ugly but it also doesn't look anything like any classic titles. Instead, it just looks like a mix of Doom 3/2016 at minimum settings.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Gobblecoque posted:

I think that's a mistake Prodeus is making. It's low-res and ugly but it also doesn't look anything like any classic titles. Instead, it just looks like a mix of Doom 3/2016 at minimum settings.

Yeah, it looks like a confused design to me. It's like the kind of people that insist on porting Call of Duty weapons to Doom agreed to do a game alongside the kind of people that think "retro style" means "intentionally looks like poo poo". You can see it just in the weapons; they've got incredibly smooth animation and ADS mechanics for no reason, then you actually look at them and with just a quick glance you can seriously count the number of pixels.

I do like the HUD, though, I've always been a fan of diegetic stuff like that. It feels like it only needs to be a little more transparent on the actual icons and counters and it'd be just about perfect.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
While the helmet is neat, it has a really good chance of triggering motion sickness in people. Especially at lower res/fidelity.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

doctorfrog posted:

Wouldn't mind a FPS Splatterhouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OhaJPdqHfk

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Honestly, I liked the look of STRAFE, Amid Evil, Ion Maiden, Devil Daggers, etc. and I don't mind this Prodeus, but goddamn do I find Dusk to be ugly as loving poo poo.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Kadorhal posted:

Yeah, it looks like a confused design to me. It's like the kind of people that insist on porting Call of Duty weapons to Doom agreed to do a game alongside the kind of people that think "retro style" means "intentionally looks like poo poo". You can see it just in the weapons; they've got incredibly smooth animation and ADS mechanics for no reason, then you actually look at them and with just a quick glance you can seriously count the number of pixels.

I do like the HUD, though, I've always been a fan of diegetic stuff like that. It feels like it only needs to be a little more transparent on the actual icons and counters and it'd be just about perfect.

It kinda looks like they took the Amid Evil route with normal mapped weapon sprites, but they're all blurry cause the game has a pixelated filter or it's running at a low resolution. Enemy sprites are low-res, textures look higher-res with filtering, bump mapping galore like Doom 3, it's all over the place :stare:

Gameplay looks like it could be fun though, just get rid of that ugly filter

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My issue with Prodeus based on that clip is its hard to see what enemies youre shooting at and where they even are as the gore started flying. The art is failing it on both levels

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Speaking of Amid Evil in the context of the "retro graphics" vs. "lovely graphics" distinction, my little bro gifted me it as an early Christmas present to take advantage of the Steam sale, and one of the things I noticed was that with the default settings a lot of the textures had this really annoying dither effect going on. Turning on AA helped a lot with it, but I don't know why they'd have made it that way in the first place; it's not something that I remember at all from software Quake or Hexen 2 and it wouldn't have been a good thing to copy in any case.

Game in general is good as long as you pretend the melee weapon doesn't exist, though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah you basically have to run some sort of antialiasing to cut down on some of the visual "noise" when it comes to Amid Evil. Also, the melee weapon is great when you activate soul power and use its "propeller" attack to motorboat around the water like some kind of rear end in a top hat.

Now that I've about 10 hours into the game, I have to say: The developers did a decent job making each weapon feel relatively distinct and powerful. I'm almost always going to be a little unsatisfied about using, say, a scimitar or wand to hurl magic missiles at enemies (as opposed to dumping buckshot in their face or chainsawing them) but I still think they managed to give the arsenal a kinetic "crunchiness" that I appreciate. Despite that, I kind of want a cursed crossbow and/or primitive blunderbuss.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 25, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Honestly, I liked the look of STRAFE, Amid Evil, Ion Maiden, Devil Daggers, etc. and I don't mind this Prodeus, but goddamn do I find Dusk to be ugly as loving poo poo.

I have a feeling that the bad parts of Dusk's visuals aren't actually stylistic and might just be due to the creator's modelling talent. Rest of the game's good as hell though.

zindryr
Dec 13, 2004
Nothing
Hey guys, back again with another night of Goldsrc multiplayer stuff to invite you to take part in. In 3 hours from this post we'll be playing some Jaykin Bacon: Source (latest 5.4 beta). If you haven't played it, it's basically just a goofy version of Half-Life death match at the base, complete with finger guns and guns from like a bunch of different other mods and even a cardboard box for hiding. Speaking of that, there's another game mode called Snake vs Monkeys where one player is Snake who's trying to steal a frog and the other players are all Monkeys trying to stop him. There's also a Battle Royale mode which is basically just last man standing. It's a lot of goofy fun, so if you're looking for a fun way to celebrate the HL 20th this weekend, this would be a good way to do so.

Server's going to be at server.kuoushi.com:27015. Hope to see some of you guys there.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I have to say, I really like the look of heavily normal mapped sprites/2d things. They look old and new at the same time, Amid evil does it too on its weapons/pickups.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah you basically have to run some sort of antialiasing to cut down on some of the visual "noise" when it comes to Amid Evil. Also, the melee weapon is great when you activate soul power and use its "propeller" attack to motorboat around the water like some kind of rear end in a top hat.

Now that I've about 10 hours into the game, I have to say: The developers did a decent job making each weapon feel relatively distinct and powerful. I'm almost always going to be a little unsatisfied about using, say, a scimitar or wand to hurl magic missiles at enemies (as opposed to dumping buckshot in their face or chainsawing them) but I still think they managed to give the arsenal a kinetic "crunchiness" that I appreciate. Despite that, I kind of want a cursed crossbow and/or primitive blunderbuss.

I've only got the first three weapon pickups so far (magic missile staff, scimitar, lightning staff) but I have zero complaints about the arsenal-- they fit the Heretic/Hexen mold of kitschy generic fantasy FPS weapons almost perfectly. They're exactly the sort of stuff I would have doodled or written descriptions of when I was armchair designing my own dream FPSes back in 1996. :allears:

edit: And even the axe, my problem with it isn't the weapon itself, but rather that (at least in the first episode) the enemies don't offer any satisfying melee combat. It might just be because I'm bad at video games, but there didn't seem to be any way to take advantage of enemies' rhythm to safely fight them in melee range, like berserking stuff in Doom or doing the SSG dance with ogres/shamblers in Quake. The early melee enemies just bumrush you and then your screen is flashing red. I know people were bitching up a storm about the Amid Evil bestiary a while back and this might have been one of the complaints.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 25, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

JerryLee posted:

I've only got the first three weapon pickups so far (magic missile staff, scimitar, lightning staff) but I have zero complaints about the arsenal-- they fit the Heretic/Hexen mold of kitschy generic fantasy FPS weapons almost perfectly. They're exactly the sort of stuff I would have doodled or written descriptions of when I was armchair designing my own dream FPSes back in 1996. :allears:

Oh and in case you haven't had it happen yet, the lightning staff has an additional feature where if you "overkill" an opponent (in this case, continue shooting them even after they die) they can electrically explode and damage nearby enemies, who may also die & explode.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Do any of the source ports support normal mapping? I was just imagining Duke3d or Blood with lighting and normal mapping added in, I know eduke32 has openGl support for lighting and other effects now and GZ doom can already do normal maps.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

amid evils real ebst weapon is the star of torment that shows up in episode 2, that thing whips

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I was gonna say i wouldnt mind a doom 4 game that has lower requirements than d4 but looking at the steam page itll actually need a higher spec pc lol

Tbh it didnt look that bad to me but in a couple spots the minigun looked to be causing so much blood that it looked like it was obscuring vision to the detriment of gameplay and the steam page advertises infinte blood so that might be a thing to watch out for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This seems timely, given the discussion of retro aesthetic:
https://twitter.com/voidpnt/status/1066465600740814848