Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I was pretty surprised to learn there's isn't a madcatz fightpad for switch yet, I'd really like one for certain arcade and older games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Real hurthling! posted:

If you played the original VC, 4 is basically the exact same so i'd go rabbids.

Is the dlc good/ necessary?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Stanos posted:

I was pretty surprised to learn there's isn't a madcatz fightpad for switch yet, I'd really like one for certain arcade and older games.

You can get a magic-ns and use something else. I have one in case somebody wants to use something other than joycons for crosstag

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stanos posted:

You should sit down. I got something to tell you about Madcatz...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok I got my LAN adapter, did they ever fix the issue where it would get warm even in sleep mode when hard wired?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Rolo posted:

Ok I got my LAN adapter, did they ever fix the issue where it would get warm even in sleep mode when hard wired?

I wasn't aware this was a thing, and my Switch has been totally fine.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

THE loving MOON posted:

I wasn't aware this was a thing, and my Switch has been totally fine.

All the articles I can find on it are from April/May so I guess it’s not a thing anymore?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Rolo posted:

All the articles I can find on it are from April/May so I guess it’s not a thing anymore?

Ah, I got mine in like July and I haven't had any issues.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
RE: Budget games?!

I didn't see anyone mention Chu Chu Rocket. I think that was $20 at release.
Just adding to the fire that budget games have always existed, just not as often. Some historian could probably tie it to the cost of cartridge materials and the lower cost of CDs and eventual pure-downloads to the :words: :words: :words: :words:

So I went to Best Buy around 9pm last night (they close at 10p this week/end) to wander and see if their website was right or wrong about Bayonetta 2 being in stock and Mario+Rabbids being out of stock. Found nothing, window shopped a bit and went home. Picked up Mario+Rabbids on the eShop and downloaded that. 2 hours ago I rechecked BB's website and it still listed Bayonetta 2 as in-stock and available for pick-up, so I made an online order and had a mysterious $10 credit that expires on the 30th. No idea where the credit came from (online ordering incentive? It wasn't labeled or explained), but the game went down to $30 and no tax. Now I'm just waiting for them to find a copy for me to pick up.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Finally got Nintendo Switch Online for some online content and all I can say is the NES selection so far suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

eonwe posted:

the wii u felt like a failed Switch experiment

It pretty much was. I feel like the Wii U wasn’t exactly designed for off-screen play at first but Nintendo saw how much people enjoyed that feature and it led to the Switch.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Kashuno posted:

Finally got Nintendo Switch Online for some online content and all I can say is the NES selection so far suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Yeah trickle feeding content from a system that has nothing decent is a waste of time. Any system SNES onward would have me curious as to what’s coming and when. No NES game is worth even keeping up with it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Kashuno posted:

We do get Ninja Gaiden soon. :shrug:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Lots of NES games still hold up and a few of them are on the service.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Kashuno posted:

It really is. Tons of games people either recently purchased with the Classic, or have purchased over the years on the 3DS/WiiU/Wii shops, GBA/GB ports, etc...

Let's move on to at least some SNES.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Lots of NES games still hold up and a few of them are on the service.

They're not unplayable by any means, but they sure feel that way when I compare them to my favorite SNES and gba games

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I’m really hoping we get some news about SNES game soon.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

It pretty much was. I feel like the Wii U wasn’t exactly designed for off-screen play at first but Nintendo saw how much people enjoyed that feature and it led to the Switch.

I played my Wii U almost exclusively off-screen so you can imagine how happy I was with the Switch announcement

drat thing never worked right either, it would occasionally lag or drop out even when I sat 2 metres from the console. BUT IT WAS HANDHELD

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KingSlime posted:

They're not unplayable by any means, but they sure feel that way when I compare them to my favorite SNES and gba games

I still love a lot of NES games but I won’t argue with that. We absolutely need SNES and more ASAP and before the system is at the end of its life.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I still love a lot of NES games but I won’t argue with that. We absolutely need SNES and more ASAP and before the system is at the end of its life.

This is what worries me most. I know Ninty will put them on eventually. I just hope it doesn’t take the years to do it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Beastie posted:

This is what worries me most. I know Ninty will put them on eventually. I just hope it doesn’t take the years to do it.

If anything, they needed to start with SNES and maybe throw a classic NES title in every once in a while.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I guess there's always the homebrew :filez: stuff if/when Nintendo doesn't flesh out their retro catalog, I'd prefer not to hack mine though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Beastie posted:

I’m really hoping we get some news about SNES game soon.

Agreed. Anyone think they’ll throw out another direct this year or wait until 19?

Also themes would be nice. A theme that integrates the controller colors on each edge would be really cool, like this:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

As Nero Danced posted:

I guess there's always the homebrew :filez: stuff if/when Nintendo doesn't flesh out their retro catalog, I'd prefer not to hack mine though.

the Switch is going to be the perfect emulator console whether Nintendo wants it to be or not :hai:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Switch isn’t even two years old yet, play some indie games or something while you wait for SNES games you’ll play for thirty minutes and then forget about.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Your Computer posted:

the Switch is going to be the perfect emulator console whether Nintendo wants it to be or not :hai:

Yeah, once people find out how to safely homebrew the Switch without risk of bricking it's going to become Wii 2.0.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Folks could always make a Retropie box with all the games ever and then play SMB1 for ten minutes then never play it again.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TaurusOxford posted:

If anything, they needed to start with SNES and maybe throw a classic NES title in every once in a while.

I want them to just match the SNES Classic library at first or at least most of it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

TaurusOxford posted:

Yeah, once people find out how to safely homebrew the Switch without risk of bricking it's going to become Wii 2.0.

There's already a supposedly unpatchable exploit at the hardware level so it's just a matter of time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TaurusOxford posted:

but handheld

that's huge! The reason I got a Wii U and don't regret it is that I could play Virtual Console NES/SNES/GBA/N64 games in bed. That's also why I have zero interest in the NES/SNES/N64 Classic consoles because if I was gonna sit glued in front of my monitor anyway I'd just emulate the games. I want to play stuff portable, and the Switch is so perfect for it that I'm still in disbelief that they discontinued Virtual Console. :(

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Pretty much the only game from the NES I can play for long intervals is SMB3, that game's timeless. I'll make a little progress here and there in Metroid, Zelda, or whatever, but I end up feeling like I'd rather play new entries where SMB3 stands on its own because of how tight everything feels.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

There's little risk of bricking if you have the proper backups saved, the real risk is that going online with a hacked system gets your system permabanned in short order and it will probably never be possible to bypass a ban.

repiv fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 25, 2018

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
All the nerds are talking about music and spirits and whatever, but I just want to know all the details about controller customization. That picture last page was so tantalizing, I just want to know what's under those submenus. :(

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

repiv posted:

There's little risk of bricking if you have the proper backups saved, the real risk is that going online with a hacked system gets your system permabanned in short order and it will probably never be possible to bypass a ban.

Then again isn't nintendo's online play not very good? I can live without splatoon.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want them to just match the SNES Classic library at first or at least most of it.

They’ll never do this simply because they don’t have to. Everyone holding out for a real snes VC service on the switch seems to forget the SNES classic exists, and that Nintendo doesn’t need to compete with themselves for nostalgic purchases. I’d love a portable snes just like everyone else, but you’re holding onto false hope if you think the VC is going anywhere near what their classic consoles are. They won’t stop sales of the classics and put that library on their current hardware or they wouldn’t have made the Classics in the first place.

Vvvvv well that would be interesting, I’d love to be wrong and play lttp over and over on my switch, too. so far they aren’t doing the best job at making it a reality if we get 1-2 NES games a quarter :(

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 25, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Pretty sure Reggie also said something along the lines of “we aren’t gonna make more classic consoles, the future of that sort of thing is gonna be Nintendo’s online service.”

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

mancalamania posted:

All the nerds are talking about music and spirits and whatever, but I just want to know all the details about controller customization. That picture last page was so tantalizing, I just want to know what's under those submenus. :(

You mean in smash? I think someone leaked screens showing customizable controls.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Rolo posted:

You mean in smash? I think someone leaked screens showing customizable controls.

Oops yeah, I'm in the wrong thread. And yeah, I saw that customizable controls were in but I haven't seen exactly what and how you can customize yet. People on Reddit were incoherently rambling about new stick sensitivity options without actually explaining the details, and as a big dumb idiot who is constantly smashing when he means to tilt and dashing when he means to walk this could be a game changer for me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Does smash still treat legit smash attacks and c stick smash attacks unequally in the new one? Why you gotta penalize the lazy, ninty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Real hurthling! posted:

Does smash still treat legit smash attacks and c stick smash attacks unequally in the new one? Why you gotta penalize the lazy, ninty?

The only time this was true was Melee, where you couldn't charge up C-stick Smashes. Since brawl there's been no difference.