Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

kreyla posted:

Brentwood Home Cypress Mattress, Bamboo Derived Rayon Cover, Gel Memory Foam, Made in USA, 11-Inch, Queen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J0I8RQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_em_taa_amV9BbW5AA7P5

I bought this one a few years ago and it is extremely comfortable. And watching it poof up after being a rolled burrito in a box is fun. My only gripe is the washable cover is a bit hard to get back on the foam, and in wrestling it on there the zipper parted ways. But i have a mattress cover over the whole thing and its not a serious issue.

So it seems this model doesn’t have a fiberglass layer under the outer cover? That seems to be a huge issue with other cheap models, that you can’t open that zipper whatsoever or your room will be covered in tiny glass shards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

No, please. Don't give it praise.
The chief complaint I have with the Surface is that it's a tablet first. There is no elegant way to write on it with it on your lap.
The kickstand is wonderful for a desk or table. It's very comfortable for drawing and nothing else.

At the time I got it, my only other options was a Lenovo Yoga and I heard some dodgy things about them.

...goddamn it.
This is why I love my Mix Plus

It works like a normal laptop most of the time and the screen pops out for the occasions when it's needed. Plus you don't need to donate all your poo poo to google. There are some sacrifices in other areas since it's built to a pretty low price but it's pretty great for travel.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I think the product recommendation thread went away, but I’m looking for a mattress online and HOLY poo poo is it a nightmare of misinformation. At this point I’m just looking for a foam mattress that is fairly cheap and isn’t secretly covered in fiberglass, which is apparently a huge problem.

I got one of these on sale for ~$100 off in April and I have zero complaints.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Shanghaied posted:

lol just got my work MBP today, couldn't plug in a normal USB cable in to charge my phone, so I used the old HP laptop that I'm returning tomorrow as a charger. Our IT department seems to be run by Apple fanboys - we could choose between a macbook pro or like the cheapest Dell Latitude.

Having been on the other side from my last job, I can tell you that it's probably because Macs are generally way less headache on the support side, and the equipment just lasts and lasts for years with little to no support intervention. Plus, Unix command line is amazing. And running Windows in a VM is great as well. And most malware is targeted to windows, so that's nice for Macs as well.

That being said, ditching USB support and the magsafe charger and not having a touchscreen option are about the dumbest things on the loving planet, and new windows laptops are actually pretty nice for a change, sooooo :shrug:

For content, bought a razor Chroma mechanical keyboard on BF sale:

Also bought some clothes from lands end and a new puke green sofa with matching ottoman:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have zero desire for touch screen on a laptop

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Humerus posted:

Razer has a 13" with a GPU. Though all other things considered the XPS is probably the best laptop on the market, and the 15" XPS is probably about the same size as other 13" laptops because of the bezel wizardry going on.

No nub, no buy.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Why are they torturing that zebra? Is this a new fetish?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Tim Whatley posted:

Nest Thermostat Third Gen for $54 because I live in NH and we care about energy (for now).
NH Goons, if you have Liberty Utilities you can buy this thermostat for $54 for the next few days. It's normally $250.

Every unit in my building got one of those for free courtesy of the power company. For my needs it's no more useful than the old electronic thermostat but it looks cool.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dick Trauma posted:

Every unit in my building got one of those for free courtesy of the power company. For my needs it's no more useful than the old electronic thermostat but it looks cool.

I leave town all the time so being able to set eco mode remotely (if I forget) and get the apartment to temperature while I’m driving home from the airport rules.

My power bill was like 27 bucks this month.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Man mine has a $30 monthly minimum connection fee. Last bill was $45.

Had a nest for years in a townhouse, and letting it learn the cooling needs based on weather (Phoenix) dropped the power bill from a $230 average to $105. Used the appropriate stage, sometimes turned on the fan only, at night, vs the entire thing to circulate air, etc. It was pretty baller.

Have a Sensibo for my AC now, because it's an in-wall unit without a thermostat. It's OK but I miss the nest. At least I can turn it on and off from my phone without getting up and finding the remote in the middle of the night.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

Also bought some clothes from lands end and a new puke green sofa with matching ottoman:

Wood look better with light oak IMO.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

JEEVES420 posted:

I bought a 12" x 8" x 3" (at the widest points) piece of wood.

Friend please don't put a calcified rabbit on a lathe. :ohdear:

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

So it seems this model doesn’t have a fiberglass layer under the outer cover? That seems to be a huge issue with other cheap models, that you can’t open that zipper whatsoever or your room will be covered in tiny glass shards.

No fiberglass. There's the soft washable bamboo rayon cover, and a slab of foam underneath.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wood look better with light oak IMO.

:agreed:

That, and a nice clear plastic cover :q:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

Having been on the other side from my last job, I can tell you that it's probably because Macs are generally way less headache on the support side, and the equipment just lasts and lasts for years with little to no support intervention. Plus, Unix command line is amazing. And running Windows in a VM is great as well. And most malware is targeted to windows, so that's nice for Macs as well.

That being said, ditching USB support and the magsafe charger and not having a touchscreen option are about the dumbest things on the loving planet, and new windows laptops are actually pretty nice for a change, sooooo :shrug:

For content, bought a razor Chroma mechanical keyboard on BF sale:

I like that couch. Reminds me of my grandparents couch, they had excellent style

Not sure I could make the color ever work with my decor , but I love the look good choice

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
A pair of Flare Audio 'Isolate' earplugs to wear when I go to concerts and raves:

A new pair of Lonsdale gym shorts:

My black Friday shopping was definitely not as exciting as it has been in the past.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Silicone band to replace the jubilee band on my skx007

Criminally underrated punk album

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Blue On Blue posted:

I like that couch. Reminds me of my grandparents couch, they had excellent style

Not sure I could make the color ever work with my decor , but I love the look good choice

Thanks! Haha, the couches in my living room are actually my grandmother's couches, so I'm hoping it'll blend in nicely :)

For content, I just picked up a couple of 24" curved monitors on a black friday sale:

I've been spending a lot more time working in my office, so I've gradually been upgrading everything in there to make it more functional and comfortable. I'm excited to see what ten years of monitor technology updates looks like, and to be done with VGA forever :D

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

OSU_Matthew posted:

For content, I just picked up a couple of 24" curved monitors on a black friday sale:

Just curious - what are the benefits of a curved screen?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It's so you can enjoy panoramic wallpapers of curved buildings, duh

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mister Kingdom posted:

If it is centered, a curved screen fits your FOV more naturally.

However it requires a more narrow acceptable position.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Inzombiac posted:

However it requires a more narrow acceptable position.

Don't doxx my political views please.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

I dig the color(s) and style. A++ would sit and nap on.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

ChocNitty posted:

Criminally underrated punk album

I love that album. Where’d you get it?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mister Kingdom posted:

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea other than they were on sale and vesa mountable... I'm kinda curious to see it for myself, though I don't exactly expect to be blown away (other than the general increase in screen real estate).

For content, bought some Carolina boots for winter:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

It's that time of year. Black Friday equals good deals on computer parts. My computer is 7 years old (except the video card, that's only 5 years old!) and starting to fail, so yep time to build a new one. I'm honestly really surprised at how long this build has lasted and that it's been able to play almost everything, mostly on minimum settings but hey. More than I usually spend on computer parts (I usually buy on the low end of the price:performance breakdown), but why not get some of the new hotness? Definitely a step up from the AMD Phenom II X4 and GTX 660 I had.

Other recent purchases:

New motorcycle gear (helmet, jacket, gloves) cause all that stuff was old as well and needed updating.

Finally took possession of this beast. Proctor surfboard's Monstachief (9' x 25" x 4")

So I needed a wetsuit cause winter is coming and I guess the water's cold. Shorty cause I don't get cold easy, I've been surfing/swimming without a wetsuit in 66° water up until now and have been fine and this will be adequate for me based on what all the wetsuit temp scales say.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
No. No. Headcanon is all of them are being used at the same time.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
He's clearly the college aged hacker from every 90s movie.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Queen Combat posted:

No. No. Headcanon is all of them are being used at the same time.

I guess it's good I didn't buy the snowboard gear and post about that too

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, all of that isn't snowboarding gear?

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

It clearly says motorcycle gear :frogout:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Whoa I don't know how you kids and these modern sports work, with your "x-games" and your "cellular phones."

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! has a new favorite as of 10:08 on Nov 26, 2018

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Good rear end choice I like it :)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Bape Culture posted:

Good rear end choice I like it :)

Thanks! Me too! I know I can't ask if you had anything to do with it, but I love LOVE the MY2016 -> Volvo look, both interior and exterior, and I'm super excited about the plug-in hybrid powerplant (400 hp phwoar!)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cocaine white whip, looks like a ghost crawlin'.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I bought a big rear end 65" 4K TV because I still didn't own one and Black Friday gave me a hot deal. I already have an Xbox One X and Red Dead and I lost my poo poo when I booted it up goddamn.

Also bought a Switch for the girlfriend for Christmas that was on sale for like 3 seconds at $179 and I managed to get one.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Tim Whatley posted:

I bought a big rear end 65" 4K TV because I still didn't own one and Black Friday gave me a hot deal. I already have an Xbox One X and Red Dead and I lost my poo poo when I booted it up goddamn.

Also bought a Switch for the girlfriend for Christmas that was on sale for like 3 seconds at $179 and I managed to get one.

FYI don't connect the display itself to the internet. Vizio make good screens but questionable practices. They will gather your watching habits and send the data back to their servers (SEA servers), not :tinfoil: here as they have been caught and its well known in the industry.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Oh yeah definitely, every TV I own is a Vizio because they're great but I never connect them. If you're using internal TV apps you deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

JEEVES420 posted:

FYI don't connect the display itself to the internet. Vizio make good screens but questionable practices. They will gather your watching habits and send the data back to their servers (SEA servers), not :tinfoil: here as they have been caught and its well known in the industry.

I don't get what's so insidious about that? I already assumed Hulu/Netflix/Amazon were doing the same. I don't care if anyone knows that I'm watching Sabrina for the 10th time ok.