Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well I finished it. That was a fun end to ride season. Good movie to go out on, just an enjoyable last sketch, and even some fun credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
On my second rewatch and riff delivery still needs improvement, in old mst3k you could hear quiet disappointment, amusement, boredom, rage etc. in their voices, but in the return, everyone just yells their lines out and that's it. it's not terrible and i still enjoy nu-mst, but it bothers me

edit: do they still record each riffer separately?

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 24, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I did it over the course of two days!

From Best to Worst:
Mac & Me
Ator
Killer Fish
The Day Time Ended
Lords of the Deep
Atlantic Rim

Killer Fish, The Day Time Ended, and Lords of the Deep were all so dull that they kind of ran together. The only notable part of Time was the insane ending and the stop-motion bits. The riffing as a whole is a definite improvement and the cast seems far more confident. I loved a lot of the host segments this season, whereas most of them last season were pretty cringey. The Mads especially were great this season, I really dig their back-and-forth now that Max isn’t pining after Kinga in every skit.

It was an okay season buoyed by better performances from the cast, I just wish they’d chosen different films to riff. I’m much more excited about a potential season 13 now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I enjoyed the extreme 70s clothing and fashion of Killer Fish [lady fedora] more than the movie and riffs but the song when the woman was diving was pretty good. Plus piranha Crow.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The way Kinga says "The Gauntlet" alone is better than every Mad sketch last season.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I am absolutely astonished that Atlantic Rim apparently cost half a million dollars to make. Are we sure Asylum isn’t some kind of money laundering scheme?

That's half a million in 2013 money

A movie made in the late 80s using 2013 money would be twice that, and the closest equivalent to Atlantic Rim from back then is Robot Jox, which had a budget of 10 million.

So yeah, I fully believe and buy that atlantic rim was only made for 500 K

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

edit: do they still record each riffer separately?

They recorded together this year, which has got to be why there’s a marked improvement. It’s hard to beat the natural, workmanlike comfort that surely came from it being a literal part of their full time job each week, as it was in the old series, but I liked the overall sound and pacing of S12. It passed the threshold where I didn’t notice anything weird, which wasn’t true last year.

I’m finding this season super watchable without feeling like it’s reduced in any way (even though I know the runtimes are shorter), and I think the sketches especially are a huge step up this season. The hit ratio is really high, the delivery is energetic and the timing is all really tight. It makes season 11’s host segments seem extremely anxiety ridden and slow by comparison.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 24, 2018

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Cripes. There is a sequel to Atlantic Rim

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Man they actually CUT DOWN the mcdonalds dance party huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPgRnFg8ZTU

Dr.Caligari posted:

I can think of three titles...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Light Gun Man posted:

I can think of three titles...

You can really follow the series losing budget as it goes through Mediterranean Rim, Caspian Rim, and especially Aral Rim.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Powered Descent posted:

You can really follow the series losing budget as it goes through Mediterranean Rim, Caspian Rim, and especially Aral Rim.

Tranquility Rim: Robots on the Moon

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Powered Descent posted:

That implies the budget is ever higher than the barest of bones.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Dixville posted:

This is on Amazon Prime right now btw, I watched it the other day. It looked like they had a lot of fun making it

Quoting because I didn't know this Reunion episode was on Prime and hope other thread lurkers will see it too.

This season is a hoot. Hope Netflix's plan here is to just launch six or so episodes a year on Thanksgiving.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Atlantic Rim 2: Rim Harder

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Joel has admitted that he can be kind of controlling (which was why he left the show in the first place due to butting heads with Jim Mallon) so I wouldn't be surprised if the issues were how he kind of took over the whole revival on his own when other people felt it should have been collaborative. .

There was also something to do with the movie. Joel thought he should direct and Mallon wanted to direct. I think it's part of what contributed to the whole process being rather miserable for all involved. Studio notes like 'these jokes are too smart' didn't help.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And Mallon wanted to do "MST3K: The Movie", and Joel was against that idea.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think my low key favorite gag was a super subtle call back

Before in MST3K, in the Joel era, any Doctor Who reference was either a Dalek joke or a joke about Doctor Who fans and how they were turbo nerds. Which, of course, they were and the writers were too.

Then you get to, I think either Lords or Atlantic Rim, and you have Tom start to make a Doctor Who joke like they used to, putting on a big nerdy voice about if Pertwee or Tom Baker is his favorite Doctor

Jonah just shrugs and says Ecclestone, because Doctor Who is about as main stream nerdy as it gets now and Tom is just offended.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Dixville posted:

This is on Amazon Prime right now btw, I watched it the other day. It looked like they had a lot of fun making it

Was in the front row for that and it was one of the best experiences in my life :toot:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Burkion posted:

Before in MST3K, in the Joel era, any Doctor Who reference was either a Dalek joke or a joke about Doctor Who fans and how they were turbo nerds. Which, of course, they were and the writers were too.

Then you get to, I think either Lords or Atlantic Rim, and you have Tom start to make a Doctor Who joke like they used to, putting on a big nerdy voice about if Pertwee or Tom Baker is his favorite Doctor

Jonah just shrugs and says Ecclestone, because Doctor Who is about as main stream nerdy as it gets now and Tom is just offended.

It's good to see that this common misspelling of Christopher Eccleston's name isn't confined only to the DW thread. :v:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bruceski posted:

Atlantic Rim 2: Rim Harder

I wonder if people who get jobs on Rim movies make the obvious dirty joke about their employment or leave it unsaid.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey they got a lot of money for those Rim jobs, they should be proud.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Burkion posted:

Doctor Who...the hell cares!

I liked that bit too

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Toast of London joke in Lords of the Deep got a big laugh out of us.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

The Toast of London joke in Lords of the Deep got a big laugh out of us.

"I can hear you, Clem Fandango!" :mad:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The super deadpan "I knew we shouldn't have let Ringo drive" when they planned over the yellow submarine in Lords of the Deep caught me off guard and had me laughing like an idiot

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zore posted:

The super deadpan "I knew we shouldn't have let Ringo drive" when they planned over the yellow submarine in Lords of the Deep caught me off guard and had me laughing like an idiot

:same:

Also when they called out the puppet rod attached to the mini-sub

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
Seems pretty strongly implied that the plan is to edit tour footage into (I assume) four episodes — and maybe a couple of Max and Kinga in the theater to round it up to six?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Gaz-L posted:

"I can hear you, Clem Fandango!" :mad:

Argh, I guess I need to watch this season now lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Atlantic Rim is the weakest of the films because nobody seems to want to be making the movie, even the lure of a paycheck holds no sway. Its bad in a way where the the entire cast and crews lack of enthusiasm shines through.

Killer Fish is a weird movie, it feels like originally it was a series of double crossing heist bits and then budget got cut so they had to stretch out the fish based one to carry a third of the movie.

Watching The Day Time Ended and Lords of the Deep back to back results in getting the same hippy bullshit ending twice in a row, and caused me to notice all the riff joke doubles like the eat lightning and crap thunder

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I think one of my favorite bits in this season is Jonah completely losing his poo poo during the explosions in Mac and Me. That was the same moment that completely broke my fiancee as she covered her eyes and yelled, "WHAT ARE YOU MAKING ME WATCH?!"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Gavok posted:

I think one of my favorite bits in this season is Jonah completely losing his poo poo during the explosions in Mac and Me. That was the same moment that completely broke my fiancee as she covered her eyes and yelled, "WHAT ARE YOU MAKING ME WATCH?!"

That was one of my favorite moments. I had to rewind that moment just to observe it again.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Allow me to be the millionth person to point out that Atlantic Rim is terrible and the lead is a jackass. There are some good riffs and I liked the bro sketch, but man this movie is attention-proof.

"He's like if a pookah-shell necklace was a person."

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Bro-bro-bro your boat is an all time great line.
E- bro-spoilers

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Atlantic Tim - Hammering off the doorknob was loving :lol:

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Just watched the Reunion– it was very clearly geared towards Rifftrax, which felt a little awkward. At the end of the day you don't need 10 people riffing a movie... which is a shame cause you want each of these people to sitting next to you for every bad movie.

It is a shame so much time elapsed between seasons that Mike Nelson and the Rifftrax crew won't get that much of a bone by showing up in the current show. Still, one has to imagine there'll be a three-test-subjects-meet episode will occur before (if?) this iteration ends.

I was actually disappointed they disappointed take Max & Kinga riffing B Natural all the way and have them do a 10 minute riff. The riffs are clearly character independent for the most part.

Like why not? A female voice in the main cast would only be a good thing, and will probably happen in the next iteration anway.

I've never attended a liver show... is it awkward in person? The live recordings seem really... kinda odd with them reading off a script showing a movie to you. Maybe it's just setting, but it feels harder to get into.

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 25, 2018

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

drunkencarp posted:

Seems pretty strongly implied that the plan is to edit tour footage into (I assume) four episodes — and maybe a couple of Max and Kinga in the theater to round it up to six?

Where is this talked about? Not doubting you but it’s the first I’ve heard of it and I’d love to read more.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I will always love Atlantic Rim for the Beast Wars gag.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
That whole movie -

One question - did the continuity director go out to lunch?

I loved how the bar in New Orleans is suddenly also in Manhattan. Or the one woman is wearing a salmon shirt inside the base during the first attack, but during the helicopter ride, she's wearing the blue shirt she would be wearing during the attack on Manhattan. Or Treach has the band on his head in one shot, and then it's not there the next!

I also love how none of the military guards are prepared to deal with someone holding a gun to the admiral's head. Like, the look on their face is one of confusion, shock, and panic. It's like - weren't you trained for this? Aren't you also armed with heavy weaponry. And why would the president order a nuclear strike and not talk to the guy running the whole organization, but instead, only to Geist. Unless it's meant to be some sort of conspiracy, but I didn't really pick up on that... but that could also have been edited out from the show.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

That whole movie -

I loved how the bar in New Orleans is suddenly also in Manhattan. Or the one woman is wearing a salmon shirt inside the base during the first attack, but during the helicopter ride, she's wearing the blue shirt she would be wearing during the attack on Manhattan. Or Treach has the band on his head in one shot, and then it's not there the next!

I also love how none of the military guards are prepared to deal with someone holding a gun to the admiral's head. Like, the look on their face is one of confusion, shock, and panic. It's like - weren't you trained for this? Aren't you also armed with heavy weaponry. And why would the president order a nuclear strike and not talk to the guy running the whole organization, but instead, only to Geist. Unless it's meant to be some sort of conspiracy, but I didn't really pick up on that... but that could also have been edited out from the show.

Ah, I see this is your first experience with an Asylum movie.

e: if there was ever a time to use the "folk, the director just didn't care" bit, it's for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cemetry Gator posted:

That whole movie -

"bad people want to nuke manhattan and heroes stop it" was straight ripped from Avengers 1