Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Quote-Unquote posted:

the entire joke is that burns is a penny-pinching scrooge that cuts corners constantly and doesn't give a gently caress about worker safety, so he hires someone completely unqualified and pays him a pittance

they've been telling this joke for 30 years

wasn’t there a joke in one episode where marge or Lisa asked Homer if he even worked at the plant anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

wasn’t there a joke in one episode where marge or Lisa asked Homer if he even worked at the plant anymore

There's been a few. The episode I watched last night has Marge complain "I don't want to just be known as the wife of the man who never goes to work", and I think there was a funny one in the episode where Homer buys a '60s ambulance.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

What's everyone's vote for worst early season episode? Overall, I think my vote has to be the belly dancer one. For "Golden" era, I'd Homer vs. Patty and Selma. Probably easy because the "agree to be my slave" episodes are always the worst of any TV show, but there is like no lesson in this one. Patty and Selma get to be irredeemable assholes to Homer and at the end just get rewarded by Homer and in return they do their actual job for him.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quote-Unquote posted:

the entire joke is that burns is a penny-pinching scrooge that cuts corners constantly and doesn't give a gently caress about worker safety, so he hires someone completely unqualified and pays him a pittance

they've been telling this joke for 30 years

Yet, according to pop sensation Grimes, the man paid a pittance was able to buy a palatial home while being the single breadwinner for a family.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Plan Z posted:

What's everyone's vote for worst early season episode? Overall, I think my vote has to be the belly dancer one. For "Golden" era, I'd Homer vs. Patty and Selma. Probably easy because the "agree to be my slave" episodes are always the worst of any TV show, but there is like no lesson in this one. Patty and Selma get to be irredeemable assholes to Homer and at the end just get rewarded by Homer and in return they do their actual job for him.

The one where the kids get taken away

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Milo and POTUS posted:

Except it has "Toilet paper hung in improper underhand fashion?! Hmmmmmm" - Marge which is one of my all time favorite deliveries next to "Ore-Gano? What the hell?"

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'll get crucified for it but Lisa’s Substitute is overrated

I always thought Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? was pretty bad in general. Also Itchy & Scratchy & Marge was a mess.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Milo and POTUS posted:

what the gently caress . That episode owns so much . Maggie drinking out of the dogs bowl and grandpa saying “babies love that water “

“Stupid babies need the MOST attention “

“I love you paw! I love you Cletus !”

“Who wants nachos ? Flanders style ! Cucumbers with cottage cheese”

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The original run of Futurama was better than any period in The Simpsons' history. Discuss.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Plan Z posted:

This is a decent choice. The one where Otto comes to live with the Simpsons is fairly weak (Otto uh...isn't an especially interesting character). "Duffless's" A-plot kind of peters out and, well, so does the B-Plot. I guess the idea is that Lisa deserves to lose the science fair for being mean to Bart but he started it by wrecking her tomato! It feels like there needs to be another beat where they reconcile after he wins, but instead it just ends.

Edit: I'll also say there are a number of shaky episodes in Season 8, but that's kind of the beginning of the beginning of the end anyway.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 25, 2018

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Round Springfield and Lady Bouvier's Lover from the golden era I find a little weak. There's No Disgrace Like Home from season 1 is really weird, the characterisation is all messed up even in the context of the rest of season 1 alone.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

The original run of Futurama was better than any period in The Simpsons' history. Discuss.

Eh, maybe. I genuinely think the really emotional episodes are weak mainly due to Billy and particularly Katie not really being able to pull off dramatic lines. I cringe every time they cry and it basically comes off as "boo hooo hoooooo." Otherwise, I can see how you'd come to it.

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

what the gently caress . That episode owns so much . Maggie drinking out of the dogs bowl and grandpa saying “babies love that water “

It's got good bits, but I can see it being weak from the standpoint that it portrays Ned in a particularly bad light for forcing baptism on the kids and another TV episode where kids get taken away over a simple misunderstanding with no chance for the parents to make a case. Simpsons is usually best when they're doing a twist on formulaic plots, instead of cribbing them.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Plan Z posted:

Patty and Selma get their comeuppance - when Homer saves their jobs, they lose their leverage over him and he immediately seizes the opportunity to quash the debt without paying any of it back.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Plan Z posted:

Eh, maybe. I genuinely think the really emotional episodes are weak mainly due to Billy and particularly Katie not really being able to pull off dramatic lines. I cringe every time they cry and it basically comes off as "boo hooo hoooooo." Otherwise, I can see how you'd come to it.

Eh, I think Katie is in general possibly a better actress than the cast of TS; at any rate, Futurama wasn't really as emotional as early Simpsons, so I never considered this.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

I'll get crucified for it but Lisa’s Substitute is overrated

I always thought Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? was pretty bad in general. Also Itchy & Scratchy & Marge was a mess.

The thing is, when you watch the episodes with him Herb is such an unlikable dipshit which kind of messes up most of the emotional resonance he was probably meant to have. It's just such bullshit that you see him make stupid, arbitrary decisions to get Homer to design a car and (predictably) gets ruined as a result, even though Homer only really seemed into it when Herb really pushed him, but then have it be Homer's fault that Herb wasted his fortune getting a total amateur to design a car? Like in his second episode he's giving Homer poo poo for the outcome and him physically and emotionally tormenting him is treated as pretty reasonable and of course the episode ends with Herb forgiving Homer like that's how it was meant to work, you just want to see Lisa or somebody point out to Herb that the series of events that ended with him being ruined obviously rested on his shoulders more than anyone else and his treatment of Homer is just passing the buck for his own failings.

I think it says something that Herb and all mentions of him totally disappear for like 20 years after Brother, can you spare two dimes? and neither the character nor DeVito ever get mentioned alongside other rarely occurring characters or celebrity guests like Hank Scorpio or Dustin Hoffman do.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Horace posted:

Patty and Selma get their comeuppance - when Homer saves their jobs, they lose their leverage over him and he immediately seizes the opportunity to quash the debt without paying any of it back.

He’s in flavor country! It’s a big country!

I liked the idea that Las Vegas has someone standing by a phone waiting to take roulette bets

Sell the pumpkin futures before Halloween! Before!

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Yeah, I always had a problem with the Herb episodes because everything that happens to him is 100% his own fault, and the show acts otherwise.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

Nah, it's bad.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's actually not bad but I think it's a weaker early episdoe

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

The only thing to discuss about that statement is how wrong you are.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

porfiria posted:

This is a decent choice. The one where Otto comes to live with the Simpsons is fairly weak (Otto uh...isn't an especially interesting character).

Maybe so, but I recall the noise Homer makes when he pulls the clog of Otto's hair out of the sink as being what made my whole family laugh loudest and most uncontrollably in my entire living memory

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Kids get taken away is season 7 it's not early

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

khwarezm posted:

The thing is, when you watch the episodes with him Herb is such an unlikable dipshit which kind of messes up most of the emotional resonance he was probably meant to have. It's just such bullshit that you see him make stupid, arbitrary decisions to get Homer to design a car and (predictably) gets ruined as a result, even though Homer only really seemed into it when Herb really pushed him, but then have it be Homer's fault that Herb wasted his fortune getting a total amateur to design a car? Like in his second episode he's giving Homer poo poo for the outcome and him physically and emotionally tormenting him is treated as pretty reasonable and of course the episode ends with Herb forgiving Homer like that's how it was meant to work, you just want to see Lisa or somebody point out to Herb that the series of events that ended with him being ruined obviously rested on his shoulders more than anyone else and his treatment of Homer is just passing the buck for his own failings.

I think it says something that Herb and all mentions of him totally disappear for like 20 years after Brother, can you spare two dimes? and neither the character nor DeVito ever get mentioned alongside other rarely occurring characters or celebrity guests like Hank Scorpio or Dustin Hoffman do.

The most far fetched bit of that episode is that Herb never bothers to so much as glance behind the curtain at the make-or-break car he's about to unveil. Credit due to Powell Motors for developing a model from clean sheet to prototype in, like, two weeks though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Horace posted:

The most far fetched bit of that episode is that Herb never bothers to so much as glance behind the curtain at the make-or-break car he's about to unveil. Credit due to Powell Motors for developing a model from clean sheet to prototype in, like, two weeks though.

It wasn't like that was a plot hole or not foreshadowed or anything though. Herb's blind spot about Homer and his absolute faith in having him as an outside voice without any oversight, dumb as it was, was a thoroughly established thing.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Milo and POTUS posted:

I’m seeing double here! 4 bad opinions !

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

steinrokkan posted:

The original run of Family Guy was better than any period in The Simpsons' history. Discuss.

Agreed. Like Futurama, however, it wasn't that good after coming back from cancellation.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
When Bart logged into onto somethingawful saw this thread and shuddered

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Probably when The Simpsons broke the 4th wall and referenced its own shittiness on the show itself.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
the latest episode is now on one of those weird edited channels but you still get the gist of how bad it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ML-2EulI6g

skip to 12:26 to see really how bad it's become

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Data Graham posted:

Maybe so, but I recall the noise Homer makes when he pulls the clog of Otto's hair out of the sink as being what made my whole family laugh loudest and most uncontrollably in my entire living memory

Well the addendum to saying any episode from seasons 2-8 is bad is that even the worst episodes have about 10 world class jokes.

Yeah the second Herb episode is another weak one. In addition to the weird failure to acknowledge Herb's shortcomings, it's also just kind of uneventful. Herb is poor, gets Homer to loan him money, gets rich again. The End. There's really no twist or obstacle as soon as Herb comes up with his idea, and even then the story is driven by this guest character who isn't very interesting.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

the latest episode is now on one of those weird edited channels but you still get the gist of how bad it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ML-2EulI6g

Holy poo poo, is Julie Kavner okay? Should she be doing this?

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Milo and POTUS posted:

The baptism scene at the end where Homer figures out "THE SPRINGFIELD RIVER" and then gnarls like a monster after the water hits him is top-tier Simpsons

It also has one of the most genuine and heartfelt moments of the entire series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfOyrsHBf_A

Modern Simpsons couldn't even come close to that kind of moment

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

emgeejay posted:

No one should be doing this.

Agree that the second Herb one is especially weak. Has there not even been a cringey meta reference to Herbs existence in the past 20 seasons?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

emgeejay posted:

It’s distressing how terrible she sounds.:smith:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Plan Z posted:

What's everyone's vote for worst early season episode? Overall, I think my vote has to be the belly dancer one.

Recently watched that one and it's pretty bad, yeah.

He's just dancing at a stag party, chill the gently caress out Marge

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I remember the Thanksgiving episode having no jokes.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

There are a handful of Futurama episodes that reached the humour and pathos of classic Simpsons, usually revolving around a cool sci-fi idea - Parasites Lost for example. More often it went too wacky or was a standard sitcom with sci-fi wallpaper.
Original run Family Guy was funny, but I was a dumb teenager with bad taste so I haven't rewatched it. I expect it would suck. The last episode I saw had Brian try to rape Lois.

The baptism scene at the end where Homer figures out "THE SPRINGFIELD RIVER" and then gnarls like a monster after the water hits him is top-tier Simpsons

haha I'd forgotten that scene.
"To find Flanders, I've got to think like Flanders!"
"I'm a big four-eyed lame-o and I wear the same stupid sweater everyd- THE SPRINGFIELD RIVER!"

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Original run Family Guy (first three seasons) actually holds up pretty well from what I've seen on YouTube anyways. The humor is so different from everything that came after because it lacks a lot of the mean-spiritedness and writers jerking themselves off that plagued the show later.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

THE BAR posted:

I remember the Thanksgiving episode having no jokes.

Fair call, 'Old Money' was a bit of a dud too (not the :dudsmile: kind). The show was still finding its feet in season 2 which is light years ahead of the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

bitterandtwisted posted:

There are a handful of Futurama episodes that reached the humour and pathos of classic Simpsons, usually revolving around a cool sci-fi idea - Parasites Lost for example. More often it went too wacky or was a standard sitcom with sci-fi wallpaper.

“The Sting” is another fine example.