Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Thinking back, I never minded the grimdark stuff in Warrior Within. It was just that loving Godsmack song. Even in high school that song and the film it was from got clowned. They were wrong about The Scorpion King though. I watched it for the first time last year and thought it was a hoot.

Jack 2 was where I felt a wrong turn was made. The mix of GTA and post 911 edge could be felt there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

It's hard to see at normal size but really obvious when blown up:

The person depicted in the painting looks like Mario, but has an H on his hat. Who is this mysterious H mario?
its actually the same guy that's dressed up like link in bed in super mario rpg, hes just a big prankster

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

Also greenmangaming's VIP stuff is loving wild, they got me to buy more video games at launch. I got Hitman 2 for fourty five dollars and I'm very heavily considering their deal on shadow of the tomb raider for $22

I just beat sottr 25 mins ago. I'd recommend not going for it unless you're just dying for slow walk and talk and linear cliff navigation

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Okay, I cleared the light world and can talk a bit more intelligently about it. I think unless ALttP gets its act together real soon I'm gonna stand behind my assessment of strictly worse than Link's Awakening. The master sword does solve a lot of my issues (it almost feels like they intentionally made the initial sword complete poo poo so that when you got a real weapon it'd feel good instead of normal). But the dungeon design remains really bad, the rooms being larger than a screen makes everything needlessly confusing and I still don't like the weird floaty movement.

e: the difficulty curve is also a brick wall but the punishment for dying is pretty low so it isn't that bad

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 25, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I can't imagine how you can say that LTTP has a "brick wall" difficulty curve

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I easily beat LTTP as a child

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mean within like half an hour of playing I was going (mandatorily) through screens with tons of enemies in combinations of chasing you and projectiles who like 5HKO you and if you approach you from the wrong angle you basically can't fight them because of your sword arc

The dungeons are mostly easier than the overworld, a few specific rooms excluded (and all the light world bosses are pretty nontrivial)

I dunno, maybe brick wall is exaggerating but the game feels like it expects you to die sometimes and need a few tries in a few spots, which stands in such stark contrast to the rest of the series I commented on it

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The new Tomb Raider series is a case study in diminishing returns.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You're gonna finish Zelda 3 and you're gonna suffer in Turtle Rock like the goddamn rest of us had to and you'll post every agony live to this thread

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

James Woods Fan posted:

The new Tomb Raider series is a case study in diminishing returns.

It seems like they spent way too much in 2013 and then had to coast on that work for the rest of the games as square hosed them with xbox exclusivity and then shunted crystal dynamic off onto another project and made the deus ex guys finish the series after their own got canned.

Like they tried to broaden the scope in rise with the collectathon hub level design, the survival mode, the lara's mansion side story, etc and the game flopped hard so shadow is much more scaled back but fails to capture the fun of the first game.

Imo TR should not be stealth shooter with puzzle sections. It should be a puzzle game with action sections like the originals but i'm dumb as hell as everyone knows

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I thought the stealth action worked fine in 1 and 2 but I would have leaned really hard into Lara becoming a broken woman that loving loves murder but refuses to admit it
Because she extremely does.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

C-Euro posted:

What are the biggest/most significant games y'all haven't played? For me it's probably

Ooh, I love this question! Well for starters I'm still gaming in 2007 so any game released after that is off the table. But I've had consoles from all the main contenders except Sega at some point so I've got good coverage overall. So I think it's these franchises:

- Mega Man
- Mortal Kombat
- Doom
- BioWare D&D RPGs
- Battlefield
- Guitar games

Huh, that ended up being way harder than I expected it to be. I've played a lot of games!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Black August posted:

You're gonna finish Zelda 3 and you're gonna suffer in Turtle Rock like the goddamn rest of us had to and you'll post every agony live to this thread

I have a confession. I only ever beat LTTP using save states :ohdear:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have played a PSP Monster Hunter for 5 minutes and was like "nope" even though I know World is ridiculous and everyone talks highly about it. I've only played Demon Souls and I don't know why I haven't gotten into Dark Souls despite having finished and enjoyed King's Field in like 2013. I've only played Yakuza 1 and never felt an urge to continue idk why?

I always feel like I miss out on these big long running series and there's just no jumping on point because it's my urge to play them in order.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've never played a Pokemon game and never will.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

al-azad posted:

I have played a PSP Monster Hunter for 5 minutes and was like "nope" even though I know World is ridiculous and everyone talks highly about it. I've only played Demon Souls and I don't know why I haven't gotten into Dark Souls despite having finished and enjoyed King's Field in like 2013. I've only played Yakuza 1 and never felt an urge to continue idk why?

I always feel like I miss out on these big long running series and there's just no jumping on point because it's my urge to play them in order.

World is by leaps and bounds a better introduction to Monster Hunter than any other game in the series, but it's still not for everyone.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Rarity posted:

Acceptable

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

:(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I've never played a Pokemon game and I will this month!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I've never played a Pokemon game and I will this month!

:)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

exquisite tea posted:

Same, I've also never liked playing a Zelda or a Sonic game enough to finish one.

Also: Halo, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, The Sims, God of War... guess that's the most obvious ones as far as longer series go.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jesus, my nurse in Trauma Centre just told someone with suicidal depression that they should have died. That's not how you mental health, lady :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This thread is not full of Halo fans

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Either I'm an old man with old man reflexes now or y'all are pulling my leg on lttp being easy as a kid because this game is kicking my rear end

everything in the dark world does at least 2-3 hearts of damage so suddenly I have less effective hp than I've ever had and also the enemies are way tougher to avoid. The first half of the palace of darkness was fine but the second half is a combat gauntlet where every room has the oh-so-fun darkness mechanic and I just started savestating after I got tired of making the trek back to where I died, again

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the beginning of the dark world is definitely a hurdle. you should have three bottles, use 'em. lttp may not gently caress around but it gives you the tools you need to work through it. no shame in carrying three fairies--i always did, at least until fairies stopped healing me to full.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The darkness mechanic sucks. IIRC as a child I relied heavily on my potion stocks to make it through dungeons, so if you haven’t found all four bottles then that might be a good thing to do.

Edit: just kidding, you only have access to 3 right now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I only have one cause I'm not using a guide and while some exploration is cool and good I'm not gonna have fun if I spend hours combing the overworld every time I get a new item

I'm pretty happy with my solution of savestating the combat-heavy sections tbh

e: that said if you just tell me that lttp is an overworld exploration game with occasional forays into dungeons I'd honestly believe it and re-evaluate my priorities

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Overworld exploration is definitely an important part of LTTP. You should easily have two bottles by now if you're being thorough.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

exquisite tea posted:

coward

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

LttP is absolutely about scouring the countryside inbetween every dungeon dive to find new resources and upgrades with the toys you've acquired, with armor and sword getting upgrades in the mid-late game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah there are definitely tons of cool things to find in the overworld in lttp. i don't mean like heart pieces or whatever. this is very different from oot or majora's mask where the most interesting thing you can find is "more bombs" or "more arrows," or "dumb trinket that you use exactly one time in the entire game, to get a heart piece." it straight up has a bunch of completely optional tools and item upgrades.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

seeing how much love was put into SNK 40th by Frank Cifaldi makes me sad that the Irem arcade collection was so half-assed, because the Irem library is wall-to-wall bangers and Dotemu really didnt give a poo poo

SNK for all its high quality emulation is largely a bunch of samey top-down vertical jungle shooters

Irem collection had R-Type Leo, Ninja Spirit, Gunforce 1 & 2, In the Hunt, Image Fight, Hammerin Harry, Dragon Breed, Mystic Riders, Blade Master, Undercover Cops, Vigilante (okay maybe vigilante isn't that great)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 25, 2018

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rarity posted:

Never be ashamed of using save states, bend games into a shape you'll enjoy the most imo.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Manhunt is so good. It's not just the violence, but the stealth, aesthetic, atmosphere and soundtrack. I am going to try and get through the sequel next even though I quit early every time. They dropped the ball pretty hard.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

All the 2D Zeldas are very overworld heavy to the point where the overworld should be seen as a hub dungeon itself.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

All the 2D Zeldas are very overworld heavy to the point where the overworld should be seen as a hub dungeon itself.

It's interesting that the series has been very successful leaning into the overworld with Breath of the Wild while the two games closest to "Oops, All Dungeons" (SkySword and Soul Train) were steaming turds

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Rarity posted:

Wow, please turn in your gamer card, and controller.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think the series I always felt bad about not playing more of are Kirby/Castlevania/Mega Man. I have played some of them (Kirby Canvas Curse/Mega Man 1/2/3/9/the DS Castlevania with Soma) but it feels like I've missed out

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I tried to replay LttP some time ago after only playing as a child and I couldn't even make it to the first pendant dungeon. The game is slow as molasses, that transition screen animation is physically painful which makes any kind of exploring I'd want to do in a chore and the gameplay would take a while to get interesting so I just dropped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Everyone deserves a Pokemon Snap experience.

• Locked thread