Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

I guess I'm weird in not really hating long travel times. I do think it's hilarious that more expensive ships are faster, but I think it's actually quite clever if you just look at it mechanically as bigger = faster. It gives carriers a reason to exist, in-game: you can get your light ships around much faster if they don't have to fly themselves. But it also gives those light fighters their reason to exist- they cover local distances MUCH faster and are a big threat to slow moving tubs, as they should be. And it also doesn't affect trading too badly- big bulk haulers will be the obvious logical step up for people starting out as traders, but that was always the case.

It gives the system a sense of distance and locale, and (so far) the local moons for each planet mean that if they bother to actually implement gameplay, there will at least be lots of places you can make close jumps to as well. Presumably it'll be like quest hubs in WoW with missions radiating out from the local points of interest. Going all the way cross-system will be a more rare event, like leaving a quest hub in WoW, and exploring might mean taking several hours to get somewhere, hopefully with scanning or science gameplay on the trip.

Now of course, I say all this with two giant caveats-
1) There needs to be poo poo to do during these long flights. I don't care how immersive it is to fly for hours, if there's nothing to do during it I am going to quit your game after just a couple jumps. Let me perform ship maintenance or run missions via comm or something instead of sitting there.
2) Ship persistence has to be fixed. If you stop an hour long flight and log out half way, you had better not wake up at the start when you log back in. They're jumping the gun enormously by adding long distances and then resetting you on every death or crash.

Actually a third and fourth giant caveat-
3) Flying into/out of atmospheres is grueling in a big ship right now. Flying up out of Hurston's atmosphere takes like 30 minutes and you can't look away because the "Atmospheric Flight" makes your ship dance all over the screen. This is not fun at all. Any ship that can't launch a little snub fighter while remaining in orbit should be able to get into/out of atmo in just a couple of minutes.
4) Obviously they need to actually implement the content too. As it is right now, poo poo's just a time suck for no reason.

Okay, but:

It makes the game directly pay to win

and

It completely guts the idea of any kind of interdiction piracy

and

If you own a starter ship like me you have to wait 13 minutes to do anything fun and it’s absolutely going to kill the incentive for new players

and

It ramps up the potential for griefing about 1000%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The travel times are pants-shittingly stupid tbh.

The only thing they do is give a reason for carriers (carrier, there is only one for sale) to exist, and that could easily be done using a “fuel economy” mechanic instead.

They absolutely destroy a couple game mechanics in the name of money (hey, hope you didn’t buy the exploration Freelancer you loving moron, a Starfarer was what you actually wanted) and make trading an impossible avenue for starter ship players to catch up to whales.

They are actively unfun unless you own something bigger than a constellation and they will 100% decimate any potential new player population.

There is no legitimate defense for these other than “I own a big ship so gently caress off losers”

e: I’m wrong, the other legitimate defense is “I have a hammerhead and I want to grief losers as they drop out of QT at Hurston” which is admittedly sort of just a variant of the first excuse

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beet Wagon posted:

Goons assemble!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

The only thing they do is give a reason for carriers (carrier, there is only one for sale) to exist, and that could easily be done using a “fuel economy” mechanic instead.

They absolutely destroy a couple game mechanics in the name of money (hey, hope you didn’t buy the exploration Freelancer you loving moron, a Starfarer was what you actually wanted) and make trading an impossible avenue for starter ship players to catch up to whales.

They are actively unfun unless you own something bigger than a constellation and they will 100% decimate any potential new player population.

There is no legitimate defense for these other than “I own a big ship so gently caress off losers”

e: I’m wrong, the other legitimate defense is “I have a hammerhead and I want to grief losers as they drop out of QT at Hurston” which is admittedly sort of just a variant of the first excuse

Yeah, I've reconsidered. I guess I was okay with them because I've always liked putting on a podcast and jumping for hours in Elite. Which also seems to reserve big jumps for certain ships. But SC is even less interactive, and even more poorly balanced. At least exploration ships in Elite have the longest jump range. Here something called a Pathfinder takes 5 times longer to get around than the capital ships it is protecting.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah, I've reconsidered. I guess I was okay with them because I've always liked putting on a podcast and jumping for hours in Elite. Which also seems to reserve big jumps for certain ships. But SC is even less interactive, and even more poorly balanced. At least exploration ships in Elite have the longest jump range. Here something called a Pathfinder takes 5 times longer to get around than the capital ships it is protecting.

The jump mechanics - like all things Star Citizen - are juuuuuuuuust thought out enough that it's not impossible to trick yourself into thinking they aren't complete dogshit.

e: also, while I too like putting on a podcast and chilling out to space jumps in Elite, I feel like "you have to have netflix/ a huge backlog of Citations Needed for this to be fun" is not a real high standard to set for the BDSSE

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I played a bit and pretty quickly uninstalled this poo poo in shame. WTF is this clunky-rear end interface where I have to select SPECIAL PRES BUTAN MODE to open a loving door? And there's nothing going on once you get the poo poo figured out.

This thing isn't worth the bandwidth it cost to download it.

I went to Elite instead, flew around, scanned poo poo, listened to music, and earned space bucks. And got interdicted three freaking times by AI. That's probably almost doubled the total number of times that happened to me since the game came out.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 25, 2018

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

a mysterious cloak posted:

I played a bit and pretty quickly uninstalled this poo poo in shame. WTF is this clunky-rear end interface where I have to select SPECIAL PRES BUTAN MODE to open a loving door? And there's nothing going on once you get the poo poo figured out.

This thing isn't worth the bandwidth it cost to download it.

Yeah, my memory muscle is trained to press just E from far too many games. This whole press and hold and look business is rather frustrating.

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity

Awesome Fidelity fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 25, 2018

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

lol I appear to have touched a nerve

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipz4zK0STl0

this video has some beautiful comedic timing

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

colonelwest posted:

If you told me this was someone's Crysis 3 mod I would believe you. Nothing in the game looks or plays like a 200 million dollar AAA title 7 years into development.

If they're still trying to sell this game on pure graphical fidelity, that ship sailed years ago. At best it looks like what would be considered high end in 2012/2013, and at worst its just hideous. I was playing on 4k/max settings and their were low res textures everywhere, even on the struts pointlessly obstructing my cockpit view. There was also horrible pop-in everywhere especially in Hurston's biomes, plants and rocks would just appear a few feet from me. I did average around 40-50fps on my 1080ti, but it seems to be at the cost of huge cuts in rendering distance and overall quality. Hurston's sea was probably the ugliest thing I've seen in a game since the beginning of the last console generation.
Exactly this and it’s funny in retrospective how the Citizens wanted to gloat with the that “beautiful” and “breathtaking” visuals several years ago. The “ in engine” fake videos are hilarious.

Breathtaking are only the moments of laughter that 200 Million forced featurecreep so far, it will push that game in a technically completely outdated state once they release the 1.0 version in 3 or 4 years and 300 Million overall sunk.
In the same time stuff like Raytracing will grow out of its baby shoes and new games and engines will indeed make SC look like a bloated mod that might have been pretty many years ago.

Beautiful tho will be the filled status the Roberts Clans pockets and their shiny cars and accessories. Buy more jpegs,

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

AlbieQuirky posted:

Gurning Over IP is the gift that keeps on loving giving.

"Gurning Over IP", I like that name for it.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

one of the all time greats

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Typical. Rather than addressing the point they go for the personal attack, every loving time.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

ewe2 posted:

Not mental illness, this is normal cognitive dissonance. It just looks worse because its internet words from someone who doesn't know how to argue a point on top of the CD. He's been goaded enough he doesn't care any more, he's just going to lump people into the enemies pile regardless of logic.

The cognitive dissonance is so deafening that it has a user account with a cymbal avatar wearing a Hawaiian shirt posting about tinnitus somewhere

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Quavers posted:

Star Citizen funding is saved :toot:

Anyone for tennis? I've already got my racket

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Okay, but:

WORDS

:hmmyes:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How the gently caress do those scale based travel times work for their amazing fantasy data courier/blockade runner ships?

"Better sneak this future USB full of data out of here fast, I'll take the 3 mile long pleasure cruiser!"

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://twitter.com/Dowlphin/status/1066267368614227968

:staredog:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

History Comes Inside! posted:

How the gently caress do those scale based travel times work for their amazing fantasy data courier/blockade runner ships?

"Better sneak this future USB full of data out of here fast, I'll take the 3 mile long pleasure cruiser!"

No, you take the small ship as those are faster at regular flight. Just then the downside is the travel times to where you need to get to via QT.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
PINK COCK BALLS:

FLOATING PINK BALLS IN 3.3.6

quote:

pink balls that have collision (can't go through them) the feeling is they're related to the NPS due to how they kinda move a bit ther

---

In other NPC news, the clones are now dying mysteriously and security is still mighty poo poo...

STRANGE NPCS SPAWNINGS AT LORVILLE

quote:

NPCs are massively cloned, crossing the halls at lightspeed, and some are laying on the ground

LOREVILLE GUARDS ATTACKING CIVILIAN NPCS & ANOTHER GUARD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XPMc9rRJOI

---

Yay for Star Citizen!

HEAD STUCK IN TRAIN AFTER JUMPING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8i8f0q-SiQ

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Agony Aunt posted:

No, you take the small ship as those are faster at regular flight. Just then the downside is the travel times to where you need to get to via QT.

So you make your daring escape to QT and then when you pop out 15 minutes later whatever was chasing you has already been there camping out for 10?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

Goons assemble!

We already did, and are about 10,000% efficient for goonfear.

But if you’re asking Goons to play the game, well, i question your very humanity. Is a Goon not entitled to happiness? Is a Goon to be allowed the peace of mind knowing not the cyclopean nightmare that is Hurston landing zones?

I ask, why do you hate Goons with such passion?

Edit: i really want to slap some collectors on the game client, but i’d rather do other stuff. Like i’ve trimmed all the crepe myrtles, edged the lawn and offered to fix the neighbors irrigation rather than fire the game client up.

Also, 3.3.6 is a handy illustration of their technical debt issues.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 25, 2018

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Beet Wagon posted:

e: also, while I too like putting on a podcast and chilling out to space jumps in Elite, I feel like "you have to have netflix/ a huge backlog of Citations Needed for this to be fun" is not a real high standard to set for the BDSSE

It's not really a surprise that the one facet that citizens want to emulate from E:D isn't the stellar flight model, it's the soul-crushing turboautist immersive travel times. Being able to buy your way into less tedium is just par for the course at this point.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Mailer posted:

It's not really a surprise that the one facet that citizens want to emulate from E:D isn't the stellar flight model, it's the soul-crushing turboautist immersive travel times. Being able to buy your way into less tedium is just par for the course at this point.

There's no good reason for egregious travel times in a space game. If you want a sense of scale, make long journeys require resources, planning and/or multiple stops I.e. gameplay; forcing me to sit and watch a 15min long looping hyperspace animation is not going to immerse me in the "scale" of your universe.

But the whales seem to be gluttons for this sort of crap, so I imagine it will only get worse once they add other solar systems.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

amusingly the Star Citizen experience at this very moment sounds most similar to FFXI, a game that required thousands of hours of grinding and had typical travel times of an hour or so. I wonder when they're going to add camping for rare spawns to SC - special ore, a super duper box, a scary monster, who knows

also can someone post some pictures of the extremely ugly hurston ocean?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Fallout 76 infinite xp cheat;

Get home defense to level 2, disarm spam a flamethrower trap.

Game will be on deep discount this Christmas.

Edit: people are suggesting that they’re spotting -morrowind- bugs in this game. Bethesda snatches back the incompetence crown and staples it firmly to it’s own head. Your move, CiG.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 25, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

Of course not, but it needs to be in a decent state. Disable the most buggy stuff at least. Free fly weekends are going to be the first impression for many people, and as they say, first impressions last.

Don’t turn up to a first date a glitchy mess.

That’s my advice, and you can bank that.

Signed ‘Hav’

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
This game is a power fantasy for a whole bunch of people who feel they have no power in the real world. I can't remember the amount of times someone has creepily chimed in about being to enslave others in a discussion on certain game mechanics. What they want is to be living in the Singularity lording and raping their way across the galaxy. Westworld with spaceships basically.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

Fallout 76 infinite xp cheat;

Get home defense to level 2, disarm spam a flamethrower trap.

Game will be on deep discount this Christmas.

Edit: people are suggesting that they’re spotting -morrowind- bugs in this game. Bethesda snatches back the incompetence crown and staples it firmly to it’s own head. Your move, CiG.

It's already down to $35 on Amazon.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Wise Learned Man posted:

It's already down to $35 on Amazon.

When it gets down to $0 I'll consider trying it out, and then decide that I have better things to do with my time

Much like Star Citizen

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

Robert's: Hold my beer.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Lol imagine when they have to QT to other systems. Hope you brought something to eat because youre gonna be doing fuckall for 2 hours straight.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

colonelwest posted:

There's no good reason for egregious travel times in a space game. If you want a sense of scale, make long journeys require resources, planning and/or multiple stops I.e. gameplay; forcing me to sit and watch a 15min long looping hyperspace animation is not going to immerse me in the "scale" of your universe.

But the whales seem to be gluttons for this sort of crap, so I imagine it will only get worse once they add other solar systems.

I think Star Citizen's ridiculously long and boring travel times are fantastic. But not from a gameplay or immersion point of view - after years of reading Citizens claim "travel in that space game is long and boring, Star Citizen will be more fun, the BDSSE, pledge $$$$ now" it's brilliant seeing those idiots get owned by Crobbear :crobear:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1066077032667406336
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1066494929608658944

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I know when I'm traveling the most important and exciting part of my trip is when my plane taxies to and from the gate. Wowwee!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

All of the amazing gameplay that only an empty procedural wasteland can provide.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I like how the pink Ed balls are the problem, not the little detachment of zombie clones including some kind of bizarre conjoined twin clone.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Does the carrier ship actually allow other player ships to dock with it and thus benefit from its faster travel speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard