Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Ignorant question here, but what is inherently "capitalistic" about this phenomenon? Seems to me any economic system would make use of this kind of tech once it becomes available.

The sci-fi/futurist fiction about idyllic Star-Trek-like societies where people's behavior is catalogued in central databases and confirms/denies their access to amenities and freedom is, like, legion.

yeah it's not so much a capitalist idea so much as a dystopian one.

the part where it will inevitably become monetized, that part is capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And you bet it's absolutely going to reinforce existing prejudices hard.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

Lol, ok, where are you getting this wild idea that they're gonna cancel primaries?

I don't have the idea. I'm using it as an example of something unambiguously worth either voting third party or casting an "Ultimatum" vote in order to remove the complications of debating whether a certain Democratic Party action means the Democratic Party is no longer democratic.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

On top of generally trolling about NICE / NHS I think you are being intentionally misleading about what's going on in the US and UK. CAR-T treatments are commercially available in the UK under the status quo and would likely be covered if a patient has supplementary (private) insurance. Considering that insurers in the US will require a co-pay, if they will cover at all, and CARs are not covered at all under medicare I think you're being disingenuous.

Also here are CAR-T treatments being funded by the NHS through the Cancer Drugs Fund:
https://www.england.nhs.uk/2018/09/nhs-england-announces-groundbreaking-new-personalised-therapy-for-children-with-cancer/

I think ultimately the manufacturers will come to a funding agreement that allows treatment with CAR-Ts without using the cancer drugs fund.

The NHS is underfunded and is not a panacea but if the US had the same system it would be easily possible to fund all these treatments, and probably reduce overall health expenditure by about a third. Most countries also allow private cover on top of the state health system so, if you, want, you can ensure access to very new and sometimes off-label therapies, and have a private room with carpet etc.

All health funding systems make decisions about what they will spend money on, it is a distraction to handwave at national systems not (yet) having managed to work out how to cover $400k therapies when there are 40 million uninsured people in the US and people are being denied heart transplants because of the cost of loving cyclosporin.

The NHS payer situation does have some nuance, i.e. in the Yescarta vs Kymriah pricing negotiations and how that relates to their EU-wide pricing and rollout strategies. But yeah, NICE obviously makes determinations based on QALYs, and have determined that CAR-Ts would make economic sense at twice their current market price ($373k for Yescarta vs $475k for Kymriah, although both well over a million when you include hospital resource utilisation and CRS management). It's ridiculous to think a market as large and wealthy as the US would be deprioritised, or that a government-administered healthcare system wouldn't have an insane amount of leverage in pricing negotiations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

Lol, ok, where are you getting this wild idea that they're gonna cancel primaries?

If they could do so without any backlash, then why wouldn't they?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Cerebral Bore posted:

If they could do so without any backlash, then why wouldn't they?

And if your mother had wheels, she'd be a garbage truck. You can posit all the hypotheticals you like but don't be ridiculous.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rust Martialis posted:

And if your mother had wheels, she'd be a garbage truck. You can posit all the hypotheticals you like but don't be ridiculous.

Do you think that primary elections are caused by some kind of immutable natural law, or do you have some other reason for not wanting to answer the question?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rust Martialis posted:

don't doxx me (also that's a great line)

Ripoff posted:

This social credit poo poo is 100% coming to the US as soon as the 1% and corporate boards of directors realize you can monetize it via tying your social credit to the rent you pay and/or interest rates you receive and pay. Not to mention the money that “fixers” will make to improve Skylyr’s score when he was caught stealing or vandalizing something at school, so he can still get into an Ivy League (while the other kid that was present gets hosed out of attending college for the rest of their life).

This is the excuse to implement Jim Crowe in the 21st century and they’re already getting hard over it.

realtalk, as much as I love* this hilarious Shadowrun dystopia poo poo, I'm curious whether there are any obvious constitutional issues with the thing (if implemented by a private entity)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This tweet is just ... :kiss:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1066689688600281088

thank u President T

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

On top of generally trolling about NICE / NHS I think you are being intentionally misleading about what's going on in the US and UK. CAR-T treatments are commercially available in the UK under the status quo and would likely be covered if a patient has supplementary (private) insurance. Considering that insurers in the US will require a co-pay, if they will cover at all, and CARs are not covered at all under medicare I think you're being disingenuous.

Yes, CAR-Ts are [partially] covered under Medicare for use in NHL/DLBCL. For inpatient there is DRG + NTAP:

https://www.ajmc.com/newsroom/cms-approves-extra-payments-for-car-t-increases-other-payments-in-final-rule
https://www.mdedge.com/oncologypractice/article/173086/practice-management/cms-finalizes-car-t-cell-therapy-inpatient

This is often insufficient given total cost of care, but potential for future outpatient use with Kymriah (lower CRS/neurotox) at WAC + 6% would help:

https://www.mdedge.com/hematologynews/article/164403/business-medicine/medicare-sets-outpatient-car-t-cell-therapy-rates

e: NHS is only approving commercial use for Kymriah's pediatric ALL indication. They've rejected Kymriah for adult ALL+DLBCL and Yescarta for DLBCL.

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 25, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
trump's obsession with the federal reserve interest rates would be weird to me and almost charming if it was another president, but with trump i'm absolutely certain it's just "me want cheap loans for me"

i despise our big dumb baby president

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

trump's obsession with the federal reserve interest rates would be weird to me and almost charming if it was another president, but with trump i'm absolutely certain it's just "me want cheap loans for me"

i despise our big dumb baby president

Especially if you make you money in real estate. Cheap loans means you can gently caress up a lot and not have to pay out the nose.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

realtalk, as much as I love* this hilarious Shadowrun dystopia poo poo, I'm curious whether there are any obvious constitutional issues with the thing (if implemented by a private entity)

if there was, wouldn't credit ratings have been caught by it by now?
i mean, i feel like we're already halfway there with this poo poo, it's just a matter of plugging ~big data~ in

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

if there was, wouldn't credit ratings have been caught by it by now?
i mean, i feel like we're already halfway there with this poo poo, it's just a matter of plugging ~big data~ in

it feels like there's a tangible difference between this and credit ratings, but my feelings are not a substitute for the law

i'm not John Roberts, after all

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I pity the fool who voted for President T!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1066682146683846657 https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1066478927143677952 https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1066480700046655488 lots of fun trump tweets today.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

KingNastidon posted:

e: NHS is only approving commercial use for Kymriah's pediatric ALL indication.

This is only temporary

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't know how you look at 2016 where Clinton effectively was running unopposed in the primary until Sanders entered in order to push her to the left of some issues to which to narrative turned into "he's weakening the general election by being in this primary when she's obviously going to win" and not see there are some people not loathe to the idea of candidates being selected in back rooms by serious people. That's not happening now obviously but if your strategy is always vote Democrat no matter what and that actually because the standard amoung the public the reasonable result by party leaders would be to make sure that their favorites were the only option in the general. The Democrats have already argued that as a private organization they are free to conduct themselves how they wish and super delegates are inherently undemocratic which they are still defending the use of.

Democrats certainly aren't getting rid of the primaries since that would be electorially disasterous but the point that primaries would go away was made regarding the logical result of everyone voting Democratic by default not an actual plan that they are currently considering.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's ridiculous to think a market as large and wealthy as the US would be deprioritised, or that a government-administered healthcare system wouldn't have an insane amount of leverage in pricing negotiations.

They would have insane leverage in pricing negotiations, which would make development of therapies like CAR-T less attractive relative to small molecules or non-personalized ADCs like polatuzumab. CAR-Ts have sizable manufacturing costs and additional overhead. The NPV relative to other portfolio assets becomes a lot more risky given uncertainty of dictated price/margin post launch.

Pharma will *always* cynically use pre-clinical R&D and clinical trial + regulatory costs to justify WACs, but there is some truth to it. Especially when the US is the current profit center and drives most development/commercialization prioritization.

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is only temporary

I'm not as familiar with the space ex-US -- have they publicly said when they will revisit reimbursement for the NHL indications?

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 25, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Your Taint posted:

I pity the fool who voted for President T!

Man, it’s a good thing PPJ and LK love to keep changing thread titles lately *hint hint boys*

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KingNastidon posted:

Yes, CAR-Ts are [partially] covered under Medicare for use in NHL/DLBCL. For inpatient there is DRG + NTAP:

https://www.ajmc.com/newsroom/cms-approves-extra-payments-for-car-t-increases-other-payments-in-final-rule
https://www.mdedge.com/oncologypractice/article/173086/practice-management/cms-finalizes-car-t-cell-therapy-inpatient

This is often insufficient given total cost of care, but potential for future outpatient use with Kymriah (lower CRS/neurotox) at WAC + 6% would help:

https://www.mdedge.com/hematologynews/article/164403/business-medicine/medicare-sets-outpatient-car-t-cell-therapy-rates

e: NHS is only approving commercial use for Kymriah's pediatric ALL indication. They've rejected Kymriah for adult ALL+DLBCL and Yescarta for DLBCL.

So patients on Medicare are not actually fully covered. What happens when they get CRS/CRES and have to go back to ICU, do they just go bankrupt?

Anyway my point is that even under the artificial constraints of the current NHS funding system the treatments are already available and fully funded in some cases, and are certainly commercially available for people who have BUPA or whatever additional insurance (in contradiction of your previous claims). Given that this is already possible under the UK system there should be no problem in the US given the vastly higher per capita spend - provided the politicians can resist the bribes to hamstring a single payer system.

Not sure whether you are a clinician but I wince a bit when I see doctors opposing a switch to a system that would dramatically improve healthcare for their patients.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The NHS payer situation does have some nuance, i.e. in the Yescarta vs Kymriah pricing negotiations and how that relates to their EU-wide pricing and rollout strategies. But yeah, NICE obviously makes determinations based on QALYs, and have determined that CAR-Ts would make economic sense at twice their current market price ($373k for Yescarta vs $475k for Kymriah, although both well over a million when you include hospital resource utilisation and CRS management). It's ridiculous to think a market as large and wealthy as the US would be deprioritised, or that a government-administered healthcare system wouldn't have an insane amount of leverage in pricing negotiations.

I went to a talk by the founder of Autolus a few weeks back who was decrying the absolute focus on cost by NICE but was also suggesting there will be new costing methods that will enable better access - e.g. there is no charge unless the patient reached CR, costs spread over a year post treatment provided the pt remains in remission.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

GreyjoyBastard posted:

In an ideal world it would slam against anti-discrimination laws because there's absolutely no way that white cis tech/finance/VC bros don't come up with a system that just so happens to hold themselves as the best ever and would exhibit an extreme disparate impact on people of color, LGBT folks, and women with intersections between those groups getting hit especially hard.

But I expect that Federalist society people would be huge fans of the idea that an algorithm can't be racist unless you can prove a particular variable was massaged with discriminatory intent (which just so happens to be effectively impossible with current deep-learning based poo poo). Probably our best hope of not getting that result is if the case being brought was some fundy Christian getting screwed by a neural network decision.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1066704353732501504?s=19

Womp womp

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fulchrum posted:

Really didnt take long to drop the pretense, but good job actually admitting you hate liberals more than you hate fascists.

:qq: I hate both about equally. At least fascism is an ethos.

Like there's something to be admired for picking a side.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think calls for violence against nazis and fascists are 100% justified and the part that makes it creepy and gross is the people trying to expand those terms more and more. Like first nazis were nazis (of course), then other groups that were only not nazis in name only (of course), then groups with similar ideology (again, of course), then like, all republicans are nazis (republicans are pretty bad! so sure), then like, centrists are nazis (I guess mr luther king said so if you squint) and like, you can see people in this thread trying to move on to like all liberals are nazis and like, maybe social democracy is maybe nazis and it seems like a certain type of person figured out just calling everyone you disagree a nazi is a magic code to not worry about posting weird bloodlust stuff about killing people that disagree with you to finer and finer amounts.

I see way more people pretty much everywhere whining about being misclassified as Nazis than people actually doing it.

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 25, 2018

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think calls for violence against nazis and fascists are 100% justified and the part that makes it creepy and gross is the people trying to expand those terms more and more. Like first nazis were nazis (of course), then other groups that were only not nazis in name only (of course), then groups with similar ideology (again, of course), then like, all republicans are nazis (republicans are pretty bad! so sure), then like, centrists are nazis (I guess mr luther king said so if you squint) and like, you can see people in this thread trying to move on to like all liberals are nazis and like, maybe social democracy is maybe nazis and it seems like a certain type of person figured out just calling everyone you disagree a nazi is a magic code to not worry about posting weird bloodlust stuff about killing people that disagree with you to finer and finer amounts.

Violence has a funny way of spiraling out of control, which is why it should always be the last resort. Thankfully -with politics at least- violence being the last resort is usually the case.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

while this is by no means a friendly opinion, i'm kinda impressed this judge managed to restrain himself from including any "but seriously, gently caress you for lying to the court about how sorry you were and then turning around and telling everyone pleading guilty was the biggest mistake of your life" bits

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

I went to a talk by the founder of Autolus a few weeks back who was decrying the absolute focus on cost by NICE but was also suggesting there will be new costing methods that will enable better access - e.g. there is no charge unless the patient reached CR, costs spread over a year post treatment provided the pt remains in remission.

That is already the pricing model for Kymriah. (indication-dependent)

KingNastidon posted:

I'm not as familiar with the space ex-US -- have they publicly said when they will revisit reimbursement for the NHL indications?

These type of decisions are always seen as a jumping-off point for negotiation - especially when NVS has a competitor like Kite/Gilead and they're eager not to cede market share or first-to-market advantage in any indication

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 25, 2018

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tehinternet posted:

Violence has a funny way of spiraling out of control, which is why it should always be the last resort. Thankfully -with politics at least- violence being the last resort is usually the case.

Political violence is currently being employed every single moment, every single day, buddy. It's just that when it's the upper classes doing it against everybody else we're supposed to pretend like it's normal and OK.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Political violence is currently being employed every single moment, every single day, buddy. It's just that when it's the upper classes doing it against everybody else we're supposed to pretend like it's normal and OK.

see https://twitter.com/ProPublica/status/1066709356253769731

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ripoff posted:

This social credit poo poo is 100% coming to the US as soon as the 1% and corporate boards of directors realize you can monetize it via tying your social credit to the rent you pay and/or interest rates you receive and pay. Not to mention the money that “fixers” will make to improve Skylyr’s score when he was caught stealing or vandalizing something at school, so he can still get into an Ivy League (while the other kid that was present gets hosed out of attending college for the rest of their life).

This is the excuse to implement Jim Crowe in the 21st century and they’re already getting hard over it.

We had similar things before. The credit bureaus used to record that type of information, divorced, sleeps around, minor crimes, hearsay social stuff, etc. We had to regulate that crap away once already.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Cerebral Bore posted:

The gently caress is this even supposed to mean?

It means you’re arguing a hypothetical and insisting that your hypothetical is fact. It isn’t.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Holy hell, I just discovered the Twitter account that mashes up Sarah Palin with Erowid trip reports. i don't think I need this thread anymore

https://twitter.com/SarowidPalinUSA/status/825904633771995138
https://twitter.com/SarowidPalinUSA/status/827231990776754177

Hell Yeah

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

So patients on Medicare are not actually fully covered. What happens when they get CRS/CRES and have to go back to ICU, do they just go bankrupt?

Anyway my point is that even under the artificial constraints of the current NHS funding system the treatments are already available and fully funded in some cases, and are certainly commercially available for people who have BUPA or whatever additional insurance (in contradiction of your previous claims). Given that this is already possible under the UK system there should be no problem in the US given the vastly higher per capita spend - provided the politicians can resist the bribes to hamstring a single payer system.

Not sure whether you are a clinician but I wince a bit when I see doctors opposing a switch to a system that would dramatically improve healthcare for their patients.

I don't believe I ever said they were fully covered -- you said they weren't covered at all under Medicare. The majority of use is inpatient given Yescarta didn't have outpatient in their pivotal trial like Kymriah and their rates of high grade CRS/NT are higher. HCOs are already likely eating costs on the drug alone under DRG+NTAP much less follow-up inpatient care. I doubt most Medicare patients to date are paying the delta between DRG+NTAP and total cost of care out-of-pocket. HCOs are able to eat costs on Medicare patients because they have private insurance patients as the profit maker that justifies the hassle of offering CAR-T therapy at all. This potentially changes in a M4A world depending on the prevalence and reimbursement rates of supplemental private insurance.

I believe outpatient could change the game a bit because my understanding is that the drug would be reimbursed under WAC+6% and follow-up care (if needed) wouldn't be reimbursed under a fixed DRG, but normal Medicare hospitalization rates if it falls outside 3-day CMS payment window post CAR-T administration. This would be subject to Medicare Part A/B reimbursement and out-of-pocket max, which is win for patients and HCOs.

Not an HCP and I think single payer would improve health outcomes in almost all cases. CAR-T is a situation where commercial insurance, especially with flexibility to arrange single case agreements, currently has the best access for patients and reimbursement for HCOs. Current Medicare reimbursement rates and uncertainty would make commercialization less attractive for pharma and less financially attractive to HCOs outside of the MSK and MD Anderson type institutions that aren't as profit driven. And those institutions will almost always have greater incentive to push patients to clinical trials given the prestige and profitability -- or at least absence of personal cost liability.

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 25, 2018

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Logic Probed posted:

Decades upon decades screaming about Marks of the Devil from barcodes to credit cards, along with a general fear and hatred for government surveillance, I cannot help but imagine any major platform for introducing this will result in near-riots and Vietnam protest levels of major disobedience.
Except that people who believe in the book of revelations voted for and elected the antichrist.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah how is the current medical situation where people are told to hope their case is marketable enough to have a gofundme or die, police murdering people to which the justice system says that is absolutely legal and acceptable, families living on scraps while billionaires exist, not to mention our foreign policy of destabilizing nations with thousands of deaths and then complain when the refugees escaping those conditions have the audacity to flee here not extreme violence?

Mark Twain posted:

THERE were two “Reigns of Terror,” if we would but remember it and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passion, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; the one inflicted death upon ten thousand persons, the other upon a hundred millions; but our shudders are all for the “horrors” of the minor Terror, the momentary Terror, so to speak; whereas, what is the horror of swift death by the axe, compared with lifelong death from hunger, cold, insult, cruelty, and heart-break? What is swift death by lightning compared with death by slow fire at the stake? A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief Terror which we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror—that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 25, 2018

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

As pleasantly performative as this is, this is not even remotely an accurate answer to the question.

bernie has gone a long way towards correcting his issues there and also it is very unlikely he will be running against Bill Clinton's spouse unless Bill succumbs to his long and forbidden desire for Beto O'Rourke

Not to mention Hillary making unforced errors like "keeping out immigrants to stop the far-right", which has eaten away her cred with minorities.

qkkl posted:

An unofficial social credit score already exists in western countries, it's called "connections". And it has already achieved the creation of a permanent underclass.

Don't forget that we have an actual credit system already in place, which is even worse.

Logic Probed posted:

Decades upon decades screaming about Marks of the Devil from barcodes to credit cards, along with a general fear and hatred for government surveillance, I cannot help but imagine any major platform for introducing this will result in near-riots and Vietnam protest levels of major disobedience.

Of course, I'm talking in terms of demographics and large swathes of people realizing what this means, along with younger generations now having major power as years go by.

But I could be completely wrong and people go full ham into it BECAUSE they know exactly what it'll bring.

"How much have you Made America Great Againtm today, patriot? Now you can with MAGACredtm!"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Do you think that primary elections are caused by some kind of immutable natural law, or do you have some other reason for not wanting to answer the question?

I don't know about Rust Martialis, but from an outsider's perspective primaries seem so entrenched in the USA political landscape that even if it's not against the law of physics, I really don't see an American party removing them.
Hence why people don't even bother answering your hypothetical, because it's perceived as something that's not going to happen; it may not be strictly impossible, but it's a practical impossibility not worth considering.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Omobono posted:

I don't know about Rust Martialis, but from an outsider's perspective primaries seem so entrenched in the USA political landscape that even if it's not against the law of physics, I really don't see an American party removing them.
Hence why people don't even bother answering your hypothetical, because it's perceived as something that's not going to happen; it may not be strictly impossible, but it's a practical impossibility not worth considering.

The concept of people always voting Democratic no matter what in the general (which the idea of Democrats abandoning the primary was in response to) is just as unlikely to happen so both are hypothetical situations.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 25, 2018

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shifty Pony posted:

But I expect that Federalist society people would be huge fans of the idea that an algorithm can't be racist unless you can prove a particular variable was massaged with discriminatory intent (which just so happens to be effectively impossible with current deep-learning based poo poo). Probably our best hope of not getting that result is if the case being brought was some fundy Christian getting screwed by a neural network decision.

i can't recall - is it the Federalist Society that's had some rants about how folks should he free to sell themselves in to slavery or is that some other Koch brothers organization?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!

CAROL posted:

Can’t believe you post this dumb poo poo evoking donald j trumps “many sides” rhetoric instead of spending time with your 10 year old son.

Where do you get a many sides argument from this? My only point is that based historical experience attemps to enforce uniformity of opinion has resulted in the oppression, demonization and dehumanization of anyone who bucks the established orthodoxy. And that in every case the scapegoats who are chosen by whomever has the power do so are a minority group.

Look at Russia, 60 years of communist rule did not result in a society made up of people who are tolerant of diversity.

That's not a many sides argument, it's an admission that this stuff is more complex than just kill capitalism and it will sort itself out. This is why full communism now is not a panacea for all of the world's social ills and also why many minorities are not down with the "let's ignore identity politics so we can focus on economic justice". I'd also suggest that this is why Bernie's message did not resonate with black voters sufficiently to secure the 2016 nomination.

Now a wise person might look at that and think "why didn't Bernie's message resonate with POC?" and try to not just determine the answer but try to find strategies to make sure that the message does resonate, but that's a lot harder than just blaming it on the "establishment Democrats" or "liberals" . It's also kind of lovely dismiss the reasoning of those minority voters who are the base of the Democratic Party because you are convinced that you know better than they do when it comes to determining what is in their best interest.

I know that it seems like it should be simple and that the right should be obvious to everyone every time, but reality demonstrates quite conclusively that it obviously isn't. And it is not simply "capitalism" otherwise we wouldn't be having this debate because all of these problems would have been sorted out thousands of years ago like you know before capitalism was ever imagined.