Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Please more lovely self posts RE: how you people eat your lovely overpriced unprepared corporate food units. Please further regale me of tales in which you tell me how busy your professional lives are.

BWM: my father in law insists on using “virtual” credit card numbers through citi when online shopping. I didn’t know these still existed in TYOOL 2018. He is pretty much unable to return anything bought online cause they can’t look it up by card number. So much unreturned unused clothing around the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

howdoesishotweb posted:

Please more lovely self posts RE: how you people eat your lovely overpriced unprepared corporate food units. Please further regale me of tales in which you tell me how busy your professional lives are.

BWM: my father in law insists on using “virtual” credit card numbers through citi when online shopping. I didn’t know these still existed in TYOOL 2018. He is pretty much unable to return anything bought online cause they can’t look it up by card number. So much unreturned unused clothing around the house.

Lmao if he shops anywhere that retains the card number, that is scrub tier poo poo.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

howdoesishotweb posted:

tbf the virtual number thing seems really nice. I hadn't realized it made returning things a pain in the rear end.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hoodwinker posted:

Those box services always just felt like "giving up on learning a regular and manageable life skill on your own" to me.

Anyone remotely enterprising can save the recipes and adapt the ingredients to what they can buy at a store. Vis:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I use the Martha Stewart branded one because we got a big introductory discount. I've saved the best dozen recipes and make them other nights pretty frequently now.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

kimbo305 posted:

Anyone remotely enterprising can save google the recipes and adapt the ingredients to what they can buy at a store.

How is this not the solution????

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

howdoesishotweb posted:

If only they sent some kind of slip of paper in the box or an electronic version in his email that could be used to lookup the charge information. Or if there was an account you could sign up for which would track all of this for you.

This is your dad being super BWM I the name of lazyness and disorganization.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

DarkHorse posted:

I only remember getting one meal that had ginger, and yeah they gave you a ton. Hopefully you didn't put it all in at once

There's no such thing as too much ginger if you've got a blender, strainer, vodka and some citrus.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Or if you’re into figging.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Verus posted:

It's incredible that, dozens of posts after the first "but you get recipes with it, pretty good value amirite guys?!" you're the first person to suggest this. Probably because it's such an obvious counterargument that none of us could muster the energy to type it out

But here I am on a Saturday night

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Verus posted:

There are millions of recipes on the Internet. It's too hard to choose. Let's just go out to eat tonight

Later:
Hi /r/pf, I don't know where my money is going here's my budget

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’d be nice if internet recipes didn’t come with a five page intro relating the life story of the blogger who copied it from a book.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You dont even have to google similar recipes you can get the weekly ones straight from the source on their site

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

It’d be nice if internet recipes didn’t come with a five page intro relating the life story of the blogger who copied it from a book.

Oh yes this x1000.

e: Bro in law is vegan so I googled a vegan green bean casserole to bring to thanksgiving and found one that had screens of text before even listing the ingredients or prep time. Then after all that text in the info at the end it just says "Adapted from Alton Brown".

itskage fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 25, 2018

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

FrozenVent posted:

There's an addon for that.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

It's hard to believe that we live in a world where this was even needed. :suicide:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Murderball posted:

Don't doxx me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Wait, so, if Invented a little wheel on the mouse to quickly scroll down recipees to the life story of blog.owners and the spiritual path that took them to a recipee I.would become rich??

I have wondered for a while though. Why do recipee blogs have all this BS before every recipee?

Is narcissism? Is it because SEO plug-in insist on a specific number of word with a specific number of connecting word, a maximum number of passive phrases, etc.etc essentially forcing all internet writing into a very narrow canon?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dawncloack posted:

Is it because SEO plug-in insist on a specific number of word with a specific number of connecting word, a maximum number of passive phrases, etc.etc essentially forcing all internet writing into a very narrow canon?
IIRC, it's this. A short page with just a recipe is weighted lower than a long page with a 50,000 word essay about learning to make toast as a child.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

FrozenVent posted:

J. Kenji Lopez-Alt.

His 5 page recipe intro is actually super informative and describes the tests he went through to perfect the recipe but, if you want to skip it, the recipe is hosted on another page without all the bullshit :words:
Oh, and his book is pretty awesome, too.

Dawncloack posted:

I have wondered for a while though. Why do recipee blogs have all this BS before every recipee?

Is narcissism? Is it because SEO plug-in insist on a specific number of word with a specific number of connecting word, a maximum number of passive phrases, etc.etc essentially forcing all internet writing into a very narrow canon?

Yes. It's a bunch of "mommy-blog" SEO bullshit. They have to pad out recipes, which can't be copyrighted, with a shitload of anecdotal text which is copyrighted. Gotta provide "content" to get the advertisers.

There are browser plugins that extract the recipe and remove all the the mommy-blog bullshit. Alternatively: MyFitnessPal can import most blog-recipes without all the padding text.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Captain Log posted:

Edit : I also keep an undisclosed amount of gold, silver, platinum, and palladium. It's been a currency for millennia, should work if the banks collapse.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

To be honest, I kind of wish I had the money to throw around to have an undisclosed amount of precious metals just buried somewhere for the entertainment factor of having a pirate trove.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The amount of time people spend on your website affect your search engine ranking. So it's probably a mix of

1. Padding the recipe so it takes longer to read
2. The ones that take longer to read get bumped up in the rankings so those are the ones you click on

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The website advertising model wholeheartedly encourages all of the worst possible trends in writing, formatting, accessibility and entertainment.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hoodwinker posted:

To be honest, I kind of wish I had the money to throw around to have an undisclosed amount of precious metals just buried somewhere for the entertainment factor of having a pirate trove.

Undisclosed doesn't mean "lots". I have an undisclosed amount of Platinum too! (like $2 in components)

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Undisclosed doesn't mean "lots". I have an undisclosed amount of Platinum too! (like $2 in components)
Yeah, but in my case it would be at least a treasure chest's worth.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Well, one thing is true about this, which is that the IRS does not act on whistleblowing on anyone who makes less than $200,000 a year and they do require more concrete information than "hey I suspect this person didn't pay income taxes", for example bank statements to which you may have had access as a corporate officer or accountant

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Advice - Moving and possibly over $30K of debt
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a09x00/advice_moving_and_possibly_over_30k_of_debt/

quote:

Well, I'm about to leave the military and head into college using the GI bill. It'll be completely paid for and, if I can keep everything in the A's & B's, I will try to pick up some side work or something. That being said, my wife, child, and dogs are selling our house of about two years to move home and the Realtor has informed us that we might have to pay about $5,500 bucks to finish it. I have no idea what to do about that. Luckily, my wife, already has a job lined up back home and our rent is only gonna be $500 a month. We're able to cut out gas prices as well as public transportation is very good there.

We have $25,100 in debt between two credit cards and a car and about $700 bucks in stocks being used as savings. We were discussing gifts for Christmas and realized we really can't afford anything. This is the third year in a row we have noticed this and, after some math, I realized we actually owed MORE than we had either year! We need some real advice on how to tackle this.

-The Debts in Question-

Card 1: $6,514 - BoA @ 21.99%APR

Card 2: $10,840 - NF @ 16.99%APR

Car Loan: $7,743.22 - NF @ 9.69%APR

What can we do to tackle this debt and get our financial poo poo together? Retiring is a real concern and we want to do that as soon as we can but possibly $30k+ of debt is really looking grim. The whole $5,500 thing with the house isn't helping but I don't think anything can be done about that.

TLDR - Have $25,100 in Credit Card Debt and a Car Loan. Might get another $5,500 on top of it due to selling our house. What can we do to destroy this debt as aggressively and efficiently as possible?

How about : don't quit your job and sign up for 4 years of minimal income until you've paid off your crushing debt?

Motronic fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 25, 2018

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The amount of time people spend on your website affect your search engine ranking. So it's probably a mix of

1. Padding the recipe so it takes longer to read
2. The ones that take longer to read get bumped up in the rankings so those are the ones you click on

Oh man yeah. Anything from Pinterest (don’t judge) requires scrolling past walls of long screeds and family photos. Just let me get to print mode you monsters.

I do really like the All Recipes app. Easy to save and search, and the top upvoted comments have great recommendations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Motronic posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a09x00/advice_moving_and_possibly_over_30k_of_debt/

How about : don't quit your job and sign up for 4 years of minimal income until you've paid off your crushing debt?

He might not be quitting.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Motronic posted:

Yeah, just going to quote some recent posts from the GiP idiots thread:

lightpole posted:

Getting on a ship with the assumption that everyone around me is actively trying to kill me through ignorance and stupidity has saved my life more than once.

maffew buildings posted:

That is the best advice anyone going in to the service could get

Staying in the military can be terminally BWL.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Since Amway will never be taken down, just be happy that DeVos committed some pretty bad BWM— insultingly lowball your truly once in a generation NBA superstar in young Shaq and criticize his play while you’re at it. Eventually they offered more than the Lakers but it didn’t matter.

DeVos will die without an NBA championship after so many opportunities failed to deliver and that matters to him. That’s at least a little satisfying.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 25, 2018

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

Since Amway will never be taken down, just be happy that DeVos committee some pretty bad BWM— insultingly lowball your truly once in a generation NBA superstar in young Shaq and criticize his play while you’re at it. Eventually they offered more than the Lakers but it didn’t matter.

DeVos will die without an NBA championship after so many opportunities failed to deliver and that matters to him. That’s at least a little satisfying.

Richard DeVos died a little more than two months the ago.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Sock The Great posted:

Richard DeVos died a little more than two months the ago.

Wow. How did I miss this? There should’ve been a party or something.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Is there an app for this or a safari add on? We use an iPad for recipes when cooking but can also use a kindle fire if needed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

Is there an app for this or a safari add on? We use an iPad for recipes when cooking but can also use a kindle fire if needed.

I don't know if this works for you, but if solves the recipe problem and makes shopping lists:

https://www.paprikaapp.com/

We've been using it for a while now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Verus posted:

Babby steps for babbies. It's an appealing hand holding solution that some (most, by that LinkedIn analysis) will be willing to venture away from.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

sir you are guilty of thought crimes for saying this unreleased game is merely worth retail!

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Alan Smithee posted:

sir you are guilty of thought crimes for saying this unreleased game is merely worth retail!

I’m not really getting the point of your post. That exchange seems like a thoughtful discussion on whether an alpha-stage game should be charging ~$retail, which is something many alphas from smaller devs have done. Am I missing something?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Something Offal posted:

I’m not really getting the point of your post. That exchange seems like a thoughtful discussion on whether an alpha-stage game should be charging ~$retail, which is something many alphas from smaller devs have done. Am I missing something?

I'll admit it's not the most egregious example but Star Citizen fans are the whale of whales when it comes to pre-ordering a game that isn't even in alpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Something Offal posted:

Unless he pulled the wrong screenshot I think you're not missing anything. I wouldn't necessarily call it thoughtful but in comparison to the implied "excuse me it's actually worth far more please stop spreading fud you short" it's practically the federalist papers.