Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'd be totally fine if One Piece was revealed to be the friends we made along the way tbh, Roger wanting his successor to be someone who understood what was Really Important would be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'd be totally fine if One Piece was revealed to be the friends we made along the way tbh, Roger wanting his successor to be someone who understood what was Really Important would be great

So would I. It wouldn't be out pf place at all for this manga. But I'm pretty sure Oda has explicitly said that One Piece is an actual thing and not some kind of gotcha that makes you consider what is really important.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dr Subterfuge posted:

So would I. It wouldn't be out pf place at all for this manga. But I'm pretty sure Oda has explicitly said that One Piece is an actual thing and not some kind of gotcha that makes you consider what is really important.

The problem is Roger spent the last year of his life just partying hard, so he might've legitimately not have had much material wealth left to physically leave behind as treasure.

It has to be some sort of plot-relevant MacGuffin.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's been far too much drama over what's waiting on Raftel that it really has to be more than a note Roger left saying "friendship is good :D".

The Rio Poneglyph, certainly, and also probably something very important to Roger personally.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
EDIT: poo poo wrong thread.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

didn't oda say that one piece was an actual treasure of some kind

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

didn't oda say that one piece was an actual treasure of some kind

Oda's said a lot of things

I half expect he'll completely drop one or two plot points or characters just so he could emulate his idol, Akira Toriyama

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I hope Sanji and Zoro take on Queen and King together and the whole fight is all four of them insulting their partner.

From a few pages ago, but I like this. I wanna see that fight.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Oda's said a lot of things

I half expect he'll completely drop one or two plot points or characters just so he could emulate his idol, Akira Toriyama

nah, oda's the child that saw the mistakes of their parents and set out to never repeat them.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I’m so excited for every single thing in the future of one piece. Every chapter is like a magical present.

I honestly can’t imagine what it’s gonna be like in 20 years when One Piece finishes

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Shiryus fruit awakened could presumably make anything invisible

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jose posted:

Shiryus fruit awakened could presumably make anything invisible

Iirc, the clear clear fruit already can make other things besides the user invisible.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Julias posted:

Iirc, the clear clear fruit already can make other things besides the user invisible.

Yes. Absalom used it to turn his weapons invisible. And during the war he used it on Moria in order to get him out of there.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Yeah Shiryu's new fruit was a sweet reveal, and as the #1 Moria Fan I'm excited for him to be involved, but I'm thinking hard on how it's gonna change the ultimate Zoro vs Shiryu exchange. Like the invisibility is super useful in general, but against Observation Haki users it loses a ton of luster. It will probably set up a lot of interesting twists, and even against Observation users it won't be useless since Shiryu himself is more than strong enough to distract enough so it doesn't matter too much, but against Zoro I feel it's still gonna come down to sword vs sword ultimately and I'm incredibly hyped.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What if this leads to moria joining the strawhat armada and a tearful realization by him that if oars zombie couldn't beat them he'd never have a chance against kaidou and they team up, former foes, joined together to face the king of beasts, hell yeah

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Moria becoming allies with Luffy makes a surprising amount of sense since they have a lot of similarities in terms of their personality

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm glad that the dude that sexually assaulted Nami when she was trying to bathe herself is dead.

Moria you have better friends, just stay alive long enough to make it out of there with Perona.

I assume since Moria has a zombie army again that he reconnected with Hogback at some point, since if I recall correctly he was the one in charge of actually keeping them maintained.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

Viridiant posted:

I'm glad that the dude that sexually assaulted Nami when she was trying to bathe herself is dead.

Moria you have better friends, just stay alive long enough to make it out of there with Perona.

I assume since Moria has a zombie army again that he reconnected with Hogback at some point, since if I recall correctly he was the one in charge of actually keeping them maintained.

Yeah I love that Moria genuinely loves his crew no matter how much he tells himself otherwise. Killing off Absolam makes it much easier to sympathize with his general crew too assuming Hogbacks learned to chill out a bit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Julias posted:

I mean things he's not touching

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Nightmare luffy gear 4. Make it happen Oda.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ok, Armada, cast all support abilities on Luffy now!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lpzie posted:

ok, Armada, cast all support abilities on Luffy now!

So Hand Wings, Barriers, Infinite? Healing, Immortality, Shadows, Sanji Food, Hormones.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Shilew is a guy that will require the bestest of the best observation haki to take down. No swordsman in One Piece has a chance at this point besides Zoro or Mihawk.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Himuro posted:

Shilew is a guy that will require the bestest of the best observation haki to take down. No swordsman in One Piece has a chance at this point besides Zoro or Mihawk.

Zoro will need to used both of his eyes.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
If you guys believe Zoro will use something as simple as observation haki to fight Shiryu instead of hearing the breath of his sword, you're sorely mistaken :zoro:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Zoro is going to Kenpachi this poo poo. Letting him get hit on purpose in order to find his enemy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Has zoro ended a (important, pre timeskip) fight not completely :zoro:

I want inches away from death all the time zoro back.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The kaku fight

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We're going all La-Mulana on this, it's Gol D. Roger's favourite one piece bathing suit.

The best part is that totally goes with Oda's sense of humour.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Himuro posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Shilew has measures against observation haki. Can observation haki differentiate between people? Maybe he'll attack Zoro with an invisible army.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

EGSunBro posted:

I’m so excited for every single thing in the future of one piece. Every chapter is like a magical present.

I honestly can’t imagine what it’s gonna be like in 20 years when One Piece finishes

The thing is like... As many have become aware, *literally all* of the New World has been set-up for Big Mom and Kaido. And we're finally at the payoffs for that setup, the relief, the entree after the chips and appetizers. And we've seen from Oda's notebooks that he usually plans arcs ahead, and that he's wanted to draw Wano since Monsters (his one-shot manga) was published. Oda's just flowing with inspiration like Conqueror's Haki is emanating from his pen. If there's one arc you know Oda has super meticulously planned and ironed out the kinks of, it's Wano. This arc has "planned" and "tight execution" written all over it, and that goes a long way to elevating a story. And also, it's not like we're getting tight execution for an arc that dealt with the events and stakes on the level of, say, Fishman Island. That only has so much of an upper ceiling of quality due to the events being not too important in the grand scheme of things, besides certain key scenes. We're getting tight execution, brisk pacing, and that X factor for a mega arc that includes so much important events that are required to be resolved for the grander scheme of One Piece.

Basically being excited for the future of One Piece has never been more appropriate.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

My One Piece theories hinge around mostly the fact that despite their reach, power, technology, and tons of time in between, the world government somehow hasn't been able to quash whatever the 'one piece' is. So its either something so big, dangerous and/or indestructible that the marines simply can't handle it, like an autonomous weapon or a master poneglyph or something; or that the one piece WAS handled by the marines at some point in the past and Luffy and the crew beeline to Mariejois to go pry it out of the hands of the government.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it does seem a bit implausible that for as powerful the world government has always been they haven't got control of the road poneglyphs

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jose posted:

it does seem a bit implausible that for as powerful the world government has always been they haven't got control of the road poneglyphs

Just goes to show how strong the Emperors are.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One piece world is an isekai and the ocean and world government is all part of one massive dungeon and finding the one piece is the purpose of everything but they make it difficult so you can't just waltz in and get it the world government is all actually all part of the game you see

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Begemot posted:

Just goes to show how strong the Emperors are.

I know but they're a relatively recent development in the one piece world. The world government is 800 years old

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
It seems like any one of the emporers at full strength are about as strong as the Marines which is why they freak out whenever any of them meet

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

you'd think the WG would have just sunk or buried every poneglyph they could find instead of doing dumb poo poo like letting alabasta have the instructions on where to find a superweapon

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All the super important Poneglyphs are in the New World anyway, where Five Guys had no lasting power until recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jose posted:

I know but they're a relatively recent development in the one piece world. The world government is 800 years old

who's to say the poneglyphs wasn't sent to the future just recently.