Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Trying out Jade Empire for the first time, just wondering whether controller or keyboard is the better choice. Also if there's any mod or the like that fixes how awful the menus are when playing widescreen, but I don't have much hope for that one. Character creation is kinda funny with the actual characters looking surprisingly decent for a game this old but then the menu on the right looks like it's from 1995.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

juliuspringle posted:

Do I need to boost up settlements before I try to take the castle or can I just go with it. I'm wondering if people will die if I try too early. My plan is too attack at night because I have a nocturnal 308 pipe bolt action rifle and a nuka grenade ive been saving. This feels like something to break out power armor and my fatman for. I found a chameleon metal armor arm but it makes it really hard to read the pipboy and the light effects when I stealth and destealth get annoying. Anyway to turn those off or mitigate them or should I just dropping out of stealth to check the pipboy. Guess I could start using the companion app again if it comes to it.
If you don’t have Charisma 6 for local leader to link up supplies, you shouldn’t really overly bother with the settlement aspects of the game. As for supply lines i made comments in the BIP wiki entry for how those should work.

Chameleon stuff isn’t really that great in general or for taking the Castle. You’ll want a high capacity shotty for the minions and heavier weapons for the boss encounter. It’s a good use case for power armor for sure.

If you haven’t done so already you should be trying to lock down the Overseer’s Guardian weapon which is in vault 81 northwest of Diamond City. If you’re playing a build that uses rifles it’s really just the best overall gun you can put your hands on for a long time (until you free up the Castle).

This is getting a little beyond “what to know before playing Fallout 4” so feel free to PM me with anything further.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Something for Red Dead Redemption 2: as soon as you get out of the tutorial (chapter 1) go talk to Herr <stereotypical German name> and do his mission. That’s how you unlock functionality to your camp, instead of just laying pelts all over the place.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

McCoy Pauley posted:

Basic Dragon Quest XI question that didn't seem covered in the wiki -- is it fine to sell gear that I no longer need, or should I hang on to everything in case I need it for crafting later? Is there anything that I'm able to sell, but it's not a good idea to sell because it will have some later use?

There is a quest later in the game that involves equipping stuff based on riddles, but I think the stuff is fairly easy to get.

Otherwise, there are a few pieces of equipment that are used for crafting better versions, but there's only a few, and you'll know it because you are unable to upgrade them in the forge (some very late game stuff and the DQXIII armor you start with). Otherwise, everything can be sold. Keep all your ingredients though, you never know what you'll need (even the gold bars, which are used in some very powerful equipment, despite being told you can just sell them for money)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Insurrectionist posted:

Trying out Jade Empire for the first time, just wondering whether controller or keyboard is the better choice.
I only played the game with m + k, but I'd suggest you go with a controller.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Uptime Sinclair posted:

If you don’t have Charisma 6 for local leader to link up supplies, you shouldn’t really overly bother with the settlement aspects of the game. As for supply lines i made comments in the BIP wiki entry for how those should work.

Chameleon stuff isn’t really that great in general or for taking the Castle. You’ll want a high capacity shotty for the minions and heavier weapons for the boss encounter. It’s a good use case for power armor for sure.

If you haven’t done so already you should be trying to lock down the Overseer’s Guardian weapon which is in vault 81 northwest of Diamond City. If you’re playing a build that uses rifles it’s really just the best overall gun you can put your hands on for a long time (until you free up the Castle).

This is getting a little beyond “what to know before playing Fallout 4” so feel free to PM me with anything further.

Another newbie question about Fallout 4 from someone different!

Very early in the game I encountered an enemy in power armour who took most of my ammo to very gradually kill.

Are there any particularly good (but ideally not incredibly heavy!) weapons to carry around and use if you do run into someone who is in power armor when you're not? Or should you just always carry a Fat Man or some kind of rocket launcher just in case.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Another newbie question about Fallout 4 from someone different!

Very early in the game I encountered an enemy in power armour who took most of my ammo to very gradually kill.

Are there any particularly good (but ideally not incredibly heavy!) weapons to carry around and use if you do run into someone who is in power armor when you're not? Or should you just always carry a Fat Man or some kind of rocket launcher just in case.

It's been a while, but I don't remember power armor really making enemies all that much tougher. It breaks piece by piece, so if you were spreading your damage out that might be a problem. If you make the talents that increase the damage your favorite weapon type a priority, you should still tear through them pretty easily.

If you manage to get behind one of them, you can target the power core directly which makes them explode.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bedurndurn posted:

If you manage to get behind one of them, you can target the power core directly which makes them explode.
It’s this. Critical VATS sneak attack to the core with your most “alpha strike” ranged weapon is your best bet. I think it makes the frame and/or armor unsalvageable but who cares.

In theory you could pickpocket the core using a Stealth Boy which forces them to exit the frame as well. Haven’t tested that though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think I remember that damaging the fusion core, without destroying if can make the occupant bail, but it's been a while.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bedurndurn posted:

It's been a while, but I don't remember power armor really making enemies all that much tougher. It breaks piece by piece, so if you were spreading your damage out that might be a problem. If you make the talents that increase the damage your favorite weapon type a priority, you should still tear through them pretty easily.

I was mostly backpedalling furiously while frantically shooting without using VATS so that'll probably be it. I've got some perks now anyhow and started using VATS for pretty much every fight

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Uptime Sinclair posted:

In theory you could pickpocket the core using a Stealth Boy which forces them to exit the frame as well. Haven’t tested that though.

You can absolutely do this and it rules

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Can you pickpocket the core and replace it with a grenade

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Anyone for Warhammer 40K: mechanicus? Just came out but haven't found many impressions online.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

So I just got Dying Light The Following Enhanced edition today (among other things, all for P$4) and while trying to figure out the piece of paper inside that seems to only link to a sign up for a newsletter these days I learned about docket codes because apparently I guess you used to get shown a video and there was a code you punched in. My question is thus, are there any docket codes still functioning (through google I found where to punch them in and I found a list but the ones I tried off it didn't work anymore apparently) and if as it seems none of them function anymore is it the kind of thing where you end up OP super early in the game and it takes all the fun out? Because if so I think I can be fine missing out on them.

edit:

Apparently there is some horde mode you can get dockets from though I don't know if you get any cool special stuff from those ones and also theres a companion app. Could someone explain how to access that horde mode and also how the app functions in relation the actual game. Does Fallout shelter do anything for Fallout 4? I'm thinking not and that's kind of what I'm worried this dying light companion app is.

Before I forget again I just want to thank everyone that contributes to this thread/the wiki because you give me and others a reprieve from the anxiety of missable loot and situations where no matter what you do you get rekt because you're underleveled.

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 23, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's been a year since this post, and the game has changed a bit, soooo...

Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Links
Starting Out & PvE
- Between level-up rewards, events, and stage missions, you'll get plenty of gems, and the single-player is a completely realized game at about the same tier as the old GBA/DS ones.

- Start as whoever you like more, it takes a while to unlock the one you don't pick. If you can't decide, Kaiba's slightly better, mechanically.

- Your first 500 gems should go towards your character's structure deck. After that, focus on whichever of the newest packs looks like it has a deck you might want to play.

- Focus your efforts on leveling up your Stage. That's where most of the good unlocks are gated behind, including other characters, and AI opponents who don't suck.

- Don't try to grind duels at the gates for card drops until you can duel Level 40 characters (Stage 30). They're more difficult, but it clears most of the chaff out of their drop lists.

- The other series have their own characters and their own stage levels. Great for collecting more gems if you want to, but they can also be freely ignored.

PVP
- If you're just interested in the stage rewards or casual PVP, play whatever decks you like, the low ranks are mostly other casual players (and the occasional rear end in a top hat).

- If you're aiming to climb the ranks, Duel Links Meta has a living gem guide that will give you the approximate costs of building whatever are currently the top tier decks. Go through them until you find one that interests you, then put it or something like it together, ideally unlocking and then grinding with the recommended character to do so.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 23, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Iron Rose posted:

Anyone for Warhammer 40K: mechanicus? Just came out but haven't found many impressions online.

Its fun but pretty buggy and really easy to break over your knee once you understand the combat system. Grab the level 1 perk that has your dudes generate insight every turn and you won't have any issues rolling through it.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Something I've noticed for Horizon Zero Dawn that isn't in the wiki.

You don't HAVE to be hidden in the tall grass to make use of silent strike. You can use it in the open as long as the enemy is unaware of you.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I looked at the wiki but any other tips for Octopath Traveler?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
AC Odyssey

Should I sell or dismantle gear, generally speaking?

Also should I just never steal and accept that some locations will forever be marked "incomplete" because of it?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

precision posted:

AC Odyssey

Should I sell or dismantle gear, generally speaking?

Also should I just never steal and accept that some locations will forever be marked "incomplete" because of it?

Dismantle. I dismantled everything and I still had way more gold than I could spend by the time I had everything upgraded. Once you hit the point where ancient tablets become the resource bottleneck, you’ll also have more dismantled mats than you can spend, probably, but it’s still the way to go.

Steal as much as you like. Bounties are very easily cleared in this game, so there’s no real consequence for it. Worst thing that’ll happen is that nearby civilians will start attacking you if they see you but you can run away easily enough (or just kill them, but then your bounty goes up a lot more)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's no actual pressure to clear every zone however, and no achievements tied to them besides stuff like killing X amount of bandit camps and Y forts, way less than there are total points of interest on the map. I skipped most of the forts and military encampments in my playthough and still ended up way overleveled just doing all the other sidequests.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

There's no actual pressure to clear every zone however, and no achievements tied to them besides stuff like killing X amount of bandit camps and Y forts, way less than there are total points of interest on the map. I skipped most of the forts and military encampments in my playthough and still ended up way overleveled just doing all the other sidequests.

Yeah you get fatigued quick if you try to clear every ? on the map. I’d say it’s still worth it to look up a guide to find all the ancient ruins whenever you enter a new zone, because they have tablets and you need those to upgrade your ship but apart from that don’t sweat them. Even the tombs, which give you ability points, aren’t that important imo because you quickly run out of useful things to spend them on. Or at least I did.

It’s nice to know where the forts are on a map but I think every single zone has a side quest that takes you there eventually. And even if they don’t, you can often tell by just looking at the topography of the map which one the fortress is gonna be.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cool thanks. I doubt I'll steal much because I'm role playing Kassandra as a Robin Hood type so I'll steal from assholes if I meet any.

When I get around to a second playthrough as the dude I am gonna be super gay and also a total jerk though

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Whatever you need the most right now, honestly. The easiest way to get resources is killing ships with ramming. Beyond that, it all up to the same result. Skills are limited by your plot (.i.e. cult) progression anyway, so it all comes down to more or less nothing on average.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I'm flipping around alot between games right now so I've got a question as regards Fallout 4 supply lines and I'd also like to agree that the companion app for The Following is nice because you can dick around with that and then send crafting materials to your guy in the proper game.

As regards supply lines in Fallout 4, I have all the dlc (that isn't not paid mods) so could build I a robot and use them to establish the supply lines or does it not matter?

I just glanced at the post before while writing this and misread "The easiest way to get resources is killing ships with ramming" as "The easiest way to get resources is killing ships with rimming" and wondered what the hell games were these days.

edit: I forgot to ask, do I start at say Sanctuary Hills and send whoever to the Castle or the other way around? I'm gonna with that hub style the wiki talks about because I think that will give all the settlements access to my workshop and eliminate the need to ever leave components at them. IF I understand this thing correctly. I'm more involved than I was able to get before my pc graphics got destroyed by a patch so it's all fairly newish to me now.

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 24, 2018

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Back to my Jade Empire shenanigans, and I'm not expecting anyone to have an answer to this but I'm still gonna ask. After fiddling further with it and realizing that the controller mapping is borked to hell by default, I googled around until I found a workable controlscheme (used this video) that would let me actually use the triggers for something, actually use the sticks in at least a mildly reasonable way, and so on. Only problem is, after changing the .ini to this, for whatever reason I can only roll forward. Even if I double-tap left or right or backwards, my character just rolls forward. Anyone run into this issue before? Google is not helpful for this one. Seems like it'll make combat basically impossible.

Here's a paste of my .ini's controller mapping just in case: https://pastebin.com/3447X9yF

E: As an addendum, the same poo poo happens on keyboard too, even though I've only fiddled with controller mapping...I'm out of ideas myself. Does rolling directionally not work out of combat or something?

E2: Oh okay, that's apparently it...that's real dumb! Not just for being not at all intuitive but also because rolling is the best movement style in every game and now I can't use it properly :colbert:

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 24, 2018

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Insurrectionist posted:

Back to my Jade Empire shenanigans, and I'm not expecting anyone to have an answer to this but I'm still gonna ask. After fiddling further with it and realizing that the controller mapping is borked to hell by default, I googled around until I found a workable controlscheme (used this video) that would let me actually use the triggers for something, actually use the sticks in at least a mildly reasonable way, and so on. Only problem is, after changing the .ini to this, for whatever reason I can only roll forward. Even if I double-tap left or right or backwards, my character just rolls forward. Anyone run into this issue before? Google is not helpful for this one. Seems like it'll make combat basically impossible.

Here's a paste of my .ini's controller mapping just in case: https://pastebin.com/3447X9yF

E: As an addendum, the same poo poo happens on keyboard too, even though I've only fiddled with controller mapping...I'm out of ideas myself. Does rolling directionally not work out of combat or something?

E2: Oh okay, that's apparently it...that's real dumb! Not just for being not at all intuitive but also because rolling is the best movement style in every game and now I can't use it properly :colbert:

Unfortunately, no method of control can fix the combat in the game. Do try out the different transformation styles when you get them, they at least make the fighting entertaining. Also consider taking the evil path, it's astoundingly Bioware!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

As regards supply lines in Fallout 4, I have all the dlc (that isn't not paid mods) so could build I a robot and use them to establish the supply lines or does it not matter?

edit: I forgot to ask, do I start at say Sanctuary Hills and send whoever to the Castle or the other way around? I'm gonna with that hub style the wiki talks about because I think that will give all the settlements access to my workshop and eliminate the need to ever leave components at them. IF I understand this thing correctly. I'm more involved than I was able to get before my pc graphics got destroyed by a patch so it's all fairly newish to me now.
I’ve never tried but you probably could use a generic robot companion like that.

Re: settlement lines, the reason I wrote that tip is because if you send your SH settlers places (hub to spokes) then SH won’t have as many farmers etc. It’s better for each settlement to send a settler on a line to SH (spokes to hub) because then the burden of having a technically useless settler on the books (per line established) is spread evenly between all settlements.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 24, 2018

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Last Forza Motorsport game I played was FM4. Anything I should know before pulling the trigger on FM7? I heard it was a lootbox ridden pay to win mess but they've fixed it now?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

juliuspringle posted:

Fallout 4 questions.

You absolutely can and should use the automatons you build via that DLC for caravans. They can be made to be far tougher than the regular settlers and far better armed.

If you do use robots it's best to limit how many you have at any one place as they have neutral morale by default and don't change, which can limit production/upgrades I believe. However this isn't too difficult as you can send them to the location you want them to be at and then set up their caravan right after as they start to travel to that location, you don't have to wait until they are at the new settlement physically.

Perhaps the best robot is the Mr. Handy torso/thruster with arms. It gets two ranged weapons and can still have the three Mr. Handy melee arms. With as many voltaic armor bits on it, Gatling lasers, and hand saws it's capable of taking on almost anything.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

So I just got Dying Light The Following Enhanced edition today (among other things, all for P$4) and while trying to figure out the piece of paper inside that seems to only link to a sign up for a newsletter these days I learned about docket codes because apparently I guess you used to get shown a video and there was a code you punched in. My question is thus, are there any docket codes still functioning (through google I found where to punch them in and I found a list but the ones I tried off it didn't work anymore apparently) and if as it seems none of them function anymore is it the kind of thing where you end up OP super early in the game and it takes all the fun out? Because if so I think I can be fine missing out on them.

edit:

Apparently there is some horde mode you can get dockets from though I don't know if you get any cool special stuff from those ones and also theres a companion app. Could someone explain how to access that horde mode and also how the app functions in relation the actual game. Does Fallout shelter do anything for Fallout 4? I'm thinking not and that's kind of what I'm worried this dying light companion app is.

Before I forget again I just want to thank everyone that contributes to this thread/the wiki because you give me and others a reprieve from the anxiety of missable loot and situations where no matter what you do you get rekt because you're underleveled.

I was going to start playing this soon but now im terrified and i think i can smell burning toast

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One thing about Dying Light people should know is you don't really need to be all that afraid of doing things at night

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

One thing about Dying Light people should know is you don't really need to be all that afraid of doing things at night

Which is honestly kind of a shame, going out at night being a harrowing nightmare was the coolest part about Dying Light until we figured out it wasn't :(

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Anything for Shadow of Mordor that isnt on the wiki? This is the first time for me playing an AAA type third person open world game and i'd like to know what i ought to be doing.

Any missables or trap talents or whatever?

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 24, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm surprised it doesn't mention it but only upgrade your health if you're really struggling with the game. Dying means orc politics happen which means more fun, so in some ways it's better to die than to try and win every single fight always forever. That said, even if you do reach a point where it feels like you're untouchable, you can go to any fast travel tower and manually pass time which mostly does the same thing as when you die.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Shibawanko posted:

Anything for Shadow of Mordor that isnt on the wiki? This is the first time for me playing an AAA type third person open world game and i'd like to know what i ought to be doing.

The final boss segment is the only bad portion of the game (though it's not particularly difficult so don't be afraid of it). Enjoy the journey, not the destination. And yeah, don't upgrade your health unless you absolutely need to, you'll probably enjoy it more.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Shibawanko posted:

Aside from "play Shadow of War instead, it's basically the same game except better in absolutely every sense" there really isn't a lot to say about it, it's a refreshingly straightforward game and you basically can't permanently screw yourself in any way.

However, one thing that is counterintuitive but important would be to die often. The Nemesis system runs on it, you don't get any fun Nemeses or repeat encounters without something actually killing you first. Since the Nemesis system is also the absolutely best thing about the game, this would obviously mean you miss out on a great deal and on experiencing the fun stories this game produces first-hand.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

juliuspringle posted:

edit:

I think I used the Dying Light companion app when it first came out but I don't think I used it for long. The one I used had a timesink game where you sent people out and waited a specific amount of realtime for them to complete missions. It ultimately allowed you to send a few items to your stash in the dying light game. It was ultimately pointless unless you actually liked playing the companion app.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I think I used the Dying Light companion app when it first came out but I don't think I used it for long. The one I used had a timesink game where you sent people out and waited a specific amount of realtime for them to complete missions. It ultimately allowed you to send a few items to your stash in the dying light game. It was ultimately pointless unless you actually liked playing the companion app.

Yep that's the one. But I've been playing Horizon Zero Dawn and Fallout 4 and a couple other non Dying LIght things so I've been dicking with the app to build up a surplus of crafting materials I can give myself so I can just run around and have fun in the game and worry less about the crafting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I haven't bought it yet, but I just remembered La Mulana II exists.

I never got farther than 1/3-1/2 of the way through the first game. I don't want to resume one of my previous saves because I don't remember where I was and what I'd already done in any of them, and I really don't want to start over a fourth time. Can I just jump into La Mulana II, or is there important background knowledge from the first game I need for puzzles or anything?

Any non-obvious ways you can gently caress yourself over like reading that one tablet twice in the first game?