Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

loving Linux... i tried to install the Bed level visualizer plugin for Octoprint and it needs to install something called numpy and it can't get it loving installed and it dumps pages and pages of text back at me when it fails. Usually i just google some part of the error string and copy the solution some linux wizard came up with but with this I don't even know which part of that text dump to google!
Guess im skipping that plugin!

apt-get install numpy maybe?

apt-cache search numpy to find the pkg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Looks like either the cable attachment for the throttle body butterfly or an aircon fan speed piece.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah it's part of the throttle that holds one of the cables, but it's the cable for the cruise control, not the main accelerator. There's actual replacements online for those. The one for the accelerator is metal but the cruise control thing was plastic. It's from a '95 honda accord and he couldn't find anything that wasn't a pull of an old part. He figured even a used part that's 23 years old may begin to crumble and we were able to beef up the replacement part a lot.

Here's the prototype in PLA, I fixed one area that had too deep of an extrusion cut where there's a spring perch and added some fillets to the potential "final" model. We changed the center dimensions because we had to cut out the original pin that held it in and are replacing it with an M8 bolt that my friend gets to shop for on black friday.

edit: it's the top piece of the assembly seen on this ebay auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/94-95-1994...TgAAOSwBt5ZLgcT

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 22, 2018

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Father O'Blivion posted:

Is this still a thing or did the design fall through? I'd like to produce some prototypes, even in PLA. Thanks for the modeling and everyone giving input.

It'd be nice to see this tech create something other than knickknacks and dingle-berries.

Right, so some revisions need to be made. The support structure spacing needs to be tighter and the spiral needs to be higher. I'll dig into it again once the Turkey hangover has passed.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Throttle body cable pulley?

edit: oops didn't see the last few posts

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 22, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Yeah it's part of the throttle that holds one of the cables, but it's the cable for the cruise control, not the main accelerator. There's actual replacements online for those. The one for the accelerator is metal but the cruise control thing was plastic. It's from a '95 honda accord and he couldn't find anything that wasn't a pull of an old part. He figured even a used part that's 23 years old may begin to crumble and we were able to beef up the replacement part a lot.

Here's the prototype in PLA, I fixed one area that had too deep of an extrusion cut where there's a spring perch and added some fillets to the potential "final" model. We changed the center dimensions because we had to cut out the original pin that held it in and are replacing it with an M8 bolt that my friend gets to shop for on black friday.

edit: it's the top piece of the assembly seen on this ebay auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/94-95-1994...TgAAOSwBt5ZLgcT

Do it in nylon. I've got printed nylon pieces on my motorcycles and on my car that have stood up admirably over years of exposure. One of my students 3D printed a new nylon door handle for his truck that also has been going for at least a year with no signs of damage despite the huge leverage that part experiences on a regular basis.

Nylon is love, nylon is life

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Throttle body xenomorph head thing.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Rexxed posted:

Throttle body xenomorph head thing.

Mods, name change please

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

mewse posted:

apt-get install numpy maybe?
numpy is some math poo poo for Python. Probably more likely "pip install numpy".

mewse
May 2, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

numpy is some math poo poo for Python. Probably more likely "pip install numpy".

pip probably has it but debian has packages for it

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/python-numpy

or

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/python3-numpy

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Rexxed posted:

Sagebrush posted:

Do it in nylon.

Another possibility, and imo easier to print, a rigid TPU filament like Ninjaflex Armadillo is another great option. I've printed cat toys, buffer components for target pistols and dive accessories for commercial scuba divers. If it can take a year in the tropical sun and sea at depth it will probably outlive you. Prints on PEI, normal temperatures and no bad smells. I can even print it on my spare Fabrikator V2.

Edit: it's also naturally resistant to stuff like brake fluid and other tricky solvents, so good in automotive applications.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm using nylon because I already have it and he needs to leave in a day or so. I'm using the Taulman Alloy 910 and their guide for printing it but my first try the model got about 1/3 done and the extruder gear somehow wore a flat spot on some of the nylon filament and stopped feeding it. I'm hoping that was a one-off problem perhaps due to me messing with the spool to keep the net wrap on.

edit: after a cold pull and then disassembling the thing to make sure the filament path was clear and cleaning the teeth on the extruder gear it's printing again. I don't know what the issue was but I could not feed nylon into the hot end for some reason. Having it follow a piece of PLA in once everything was working again may have helped.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 23, 2018

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Good candidate to be cast in metal using PLA.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ReelBigLizard posted:

Another possibility, and imo easier to print, a rigid TPU filament like Ninjaflex Armadillo is another great option. I've printed cat toys, buffer components for target pistols and dive accessories for commercial scuba divers. If it can take a year in the tropical sun and sea at depth it will probably outlive you. Prints on PEI, normal temperatures and no bad smells. I can even print it on my spare Fabrikator V2.

Edit: it's also naturally resistant to stuff like brake fluid and other tricky solvents, so good in automotive applications.

Taulman Alloy910 is very easy to print, has very little warping and can be printed on a cold bed if needed.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Taulman Alloy910 is very easy to print, has very little warping and can be printed on a cold bed if needed.

My roll seems to have width variation enough to jam. I was unable to hand feed it into the hotend until I felt for a thinner part up the filament and cut it back and fed that through. Very frustrating for the price.

General Apathy
Apr 5, 2009
I'm looking at getting a Prusa MK3 and taking advantage of the free postage this weekend, but importing items worth more than $1000 AUD into Australia gets hit with an import levy.
Annoyingly the current price after conversion is just over $1000 AUD, so I was wondering if anyone here might have a discount voucher for the Prusa shop like the one for doing the survey earlier in the year that they would be willing to sell?

Alternatively, the MK2.5 will come in under $1000, am I missing out on much going with that instead of the MK3?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

General Apathy posted:

I'm looking at getting a Prusa MK3 and taking advantage of the free postage this weekend, but importing items worth more than $1000 AUD into Australia gets hit with an import levy.
Annoyingly the current price after conversion is just over $1000 AUD, so I was wondering if anyone here might have a discount voucher for the Prusa shop like the one for doing the survey earlier in the year that they would be willing to sell?

Alternatively, the MK2.5 will come in under $1000, am I missing out on much going with that instead of the MK3?

I have a $20 survey voucher. I'm not entirely sure if it's transferable, because it's listed in my store account, but there is a code...

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

General Apathy posted:

I own a 2 and have used a 3 and for the price difference I'd get the 2 again in a heartbeat. The biggest every day benefit the 3 brought in was the spring-steel bed which is on the 2.5 anyway.

General Apathy
Apr 5, 2009
Thanks BMan, I didn't think about it maybe being tied to accounts.

Megabound posted:

I own a 2 and have used a 3 and for the price difference I'd get the 2 again in a heartbeat. The biggest every day benefit the 3 brought in was the spring-steel bed which is on the 2.5 anyway.
I think I will go with the 2, I am happy to do any upgrades in the future if necessary, Thanks.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I emailed taulman about my filament being out of tolerance and Tom emailed me back very quickly asking me for my address. He said it doesn't happen often but it can be a problem near the end of a batch. Some of the fatter parts of the filament were over 2mm hence all the jamming.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Rexxed posted:

I emailed taulman about my filament being out of tolerance and Tom emailed me back very quickly asking me for my address. He said it doesn't happen often but it can be a problem near the end of a batch. Some of the fatter parts of the filament were over 2mm hence all the jamming.

Sounds like following up was the right thing to do, good work!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wheres the cheapest place to get a legit e3d v6 hotend this weekend?

edit: ughhhh i went and got the trianglelabs one. worst case I replace the heatbreak.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 26, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Does it really have to be "legit"? AFAIK the design is open source, and TriangleLabs over on AliExpress makes pretty decent stuff by all accounts I've heard so far. They even sell titanium heatbreaks. You just have to wait a little longer.

--edit: Maybe there's a reseller with that stuff in your vicinity.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 24, 2018

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does it really have to be "legit"? AFAIK the design is open source, and TriangleLabs over on AliExpress makes pretty decent stuff by all accounts I've heard so far. They even sell titanium heatbreaks. You just have to wait a little longer.

--edit: Maybe there's a reseller with that stuff in your vicinity.

Yes, the difference in quality is noticeable a d you are getting assured to spec

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

Yooper posted:

Right, so some revisions need to be made. The support structure spacing needs to be tighter and the spiral needs to be higher. I'll dig into it again once the Turkey hangover has passed.

Wow, this looks badass. I imagined this would be pushing the limits of what was possible with current tech but that its definitely looking like a real thing :stare:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

OctoPrint has a MQTT plugin! :D

Now I can introduce another safety via a smart plug, i.e. if the thermal fuse doesn't cut or the RPi stops responding, the home automation will cut power instead.

Jestery posted:

Yes, the difference in quality is noticeable a d you are getting assured to spec
That's why I specifically mentioned TriangleLabs. They seem to have generally good quality. Unlike those Chinese brands that spell like someone dropped a hammer on the keyboard.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So I got an email on Friday from 3DKitbash, makers of nifty 3D models. They were celebrating having successfully patented a pin system for connecting parts together.

The patent is here: http://tinyurl.com/yb9dz6v3

How is this any different from, say, the pins you get from MeshMixer? It feels like there's nothing new, and it's another of those "Something existing, BUT WITH A COMPUTER" patents. :(

mewse
May 2, 2006

TwystNeko posted:

"Wooden dowels, BUT WITH 3D PRINTING"

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

This is the entire invention. Amazing

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

definitely no prior art for that

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The issue is more all the time and money wasted from the litigations that will ensue from this.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I could have invented that. But I'm not a monster

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

BMan posted:

This is the entire invention. Amazing

Makerbot's published 3d models (the skull comes to mind) uses that connector more or less exactly, now someone patented it
:ironicat:

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
It's not even a good connection. It maintains only 3 or 4 points of sliding contact, so it can't actually maintain a fixed position along the axis of installation. And that's another problem. You could use multiple connections like that, but only so long as they're parallel, because it snaps together along this single axis. So, it can't reliably maintain a position along the axis of installation, and to maintain position elsewhere, you'd have to be really conscious about your use of the Law of Elastic Averaging -- you can use a dozen of these, but there's no escaping that the pieces are held by flexing 'springs' of plastic under load.

I'll use this post to plug an alternative way to fix two solid bodies together, it's called "mechanical glue". Definitely not under patent, pictured here to secure the space shuttle to its carrier aircraft:

So you see those 3 V's juttin off the tops? There are 6 bars total, the plane gets 6 independent connections, and the shuttle is fixed in 3 places, at the tip of each V. Without going too much into it, this is a theoretically "perfect" connection, and is scale-invariant. So it will be perfect at space shuttle scale, the scale of things you print, and the scale of nanotech. And you can take it apart, put it back together, and it will go back to its original position perfectly every time. As long as the rods can handle the load, it will just not move.

Mofabio fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 26, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the technical term for the mechanical system you are referring to is a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinematic_coupling

you can 3D-print one yourself pretty easily (I recommend the Maxwell design) and try it out. it's neat. I know that a few printers also use the system for a removable bed mount that can be replaced instantly to exactly the same location.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Ha, did you see the recent hackaday post, about the thermal expansion compensating bed by that dentist reprap guy? Wondering how small our world is. I love exact constraint :)

Any coupling with 6 (and only 6) independent constraints will have crazy repeatability, like nanometers. Mechanical glue's a good coupling, esp for joining oddball bodies, cuz it just needs tapped holes, or nut traps. The Maxwell 2-2-2's such a workhorse b/c it can handle temperature swings really well, and keep its repeatability. If the 3 V's of mechanical glue are symmetrical, like the 2-2-2, the family resemblance becomes clear.

edit: found a pic of it, sweet:

the artist adds that unlike regular glue, mechanical glue has infinite 'pot' life, cures instantly after the bolts are tightened, and if the two pieces are jigged in position, you can take it apart, clean it, lick it, whatever, and re-jig it back to its original position to the same crazy accuracy. I'll add, less I come across as a real snob about couplings, those forked tongue things are fine, they're just not gonna mention in their unenforceable patent about how it's no good for precision work. A coupling for every season

Mofabio fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 26, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I do remember reading something about an rear end in a top hat dentist 3D printer guy but honestly I don't remember if it was in these forums, or hack-a-day, or a different 3D printer forum. I did see the printed kinematic coupler on H-a-D a week ago or whatever but I usually avoid reading the comments there because they are so bad. Small world though yeah lol

And I've seen maxwell couplings in a few places but most notably on the MarkForged printers.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Sagebrush posted:

I do remember reading something about an rear end in a top hat dentist 3D printer guy but honestly I don't remember if it was in these forums, or hack-a-day, or a different 3D printer forum.

It was here and it was probably me. His ideas are pretty good but his forums posts on RepRap are so awful.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

PlaneGuy posted:

It was here and it was probably me. His ideas are pretty good but his forums posts on RepRap are so awful.

He's so insecure! He's either fronting or challenging people. Real spirit of competition, rather than a spirit of brotherhood, and shared wisdom.

He also needs to brace his giant aluminum printer's sides with diagonals, cuz that big, with a moving mass on the top coreXY system, he's getting parallelogram errors. I checked his stuff out after he yelled at me over there. Kind of a piece of work but whatever, there's a few in every space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

OctoPrint has a MQTT plugin! :D

Now I can introduce another safety via a smart plug, i.e. if the thermal fuse doesn't cut or the RPi stops responding, the home automation will cut power instead.

That's why I specifically mentioned TriangleLabs. They seem to have generally good quality. Unlike those Chinese brands that spell like someone dropped a hammer on the keyboard.

Does the MQTT keep a heartbeat signal then? I'd think if RPi freezes, it wouldn't be able to send the power off signal, let alone check for thermal run away. Of course I've also had one of those Wifi sockets fail closed on me.

On those kinematic blocks, E3D is using that for their head/tooling change standard they're pushing.