Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Love to empower the state against people

Its exactly the duty of the community to defend themselves

So we legalize extrajudicial punishment then? You see where this is going, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

KickerOfMice posted:

The government "removing people" is a conversation with a million frayed edges. What happens if that were policy now?

I tend to agree. A single punch in a generally civilized community is a much better outcome and probably more effective than a giant governmental program deciding who needs to be "removed". Everyone went home afterwards safely and hopefully the Nazi learned he should not pop off at people with Nazi propaganda while wearing a swastika in downtown Seattle. I'm not an advocate for violence, but sometimes nothing more than a strong punch to the face can correct bad behavior. Not always, obviously, but if I got punched in the face by a stranger and the group around us cheered I might reconsider my recent behavior that led to me being punched in the face on the street and having people around clapping. And he did get the message because he removed the armband, didn't press charges, and left. The non-system works!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

I would argue there’s a distinct difference between understanding a worldview and empathizing with a worldview. I empathize with conservatism because I come from a conservative place and was conservative, and it takes practice and active thought to empathize with the marginalized instead given that privilege.

Yes it does and there is. But how did you get to where you are? Can you teach someone else to empathize with the marginalized?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Koalas Massacre posted:

As someone who has had experience with racism of all kinds both online and off (I told y'all about the time I had a bottle thrown at me right??) the best thing you can do when they go full fash is clock them square in the jaw.

:frogon:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
E: wrong thread

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

KillHour posted:

So we legalize extrajudicial punishment then? You see where this is going, right?

morality isn't about legality all the time

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KillHour posted:

Nah it shouldn’t be legal (well maybe it should but that would never happen) to punch Nazis. It is 100% moral, however.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dapper_Swindler posted:

there are liberal/socialy progressive evangelicals around still. alot of young ones are pretty big into environmental protection and conservation.

Fred Slacktivist Clark is worth reading.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BrandorKP posted:

Yes it does and there is. But how did you get to where you are? Can you teach someone else to empathize with the marginalized?

I was taught by people with extraordinary patience and even then it was a lot of 100% justified name calling and making GBS threads on me until my opinions improved. Marginalized people should not be expected automatically to shoulder that burden however.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

KillHour posted:

Nope, it should remain illegal to punch nazis, but also everyone should continue to punch nazid anyway.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t really think you’re going to effectively organize and win over Republican voters or evangelical Christians to the Democratic Party without making unacceptable compromises on the rights of marginalized people but maybe I’m misunderstanding you here.

who said anything about organizing republican voters. i said not alienating the evangelicals that are already an extremely important part of the democratic base with ignorant generalizations. evangelical christians are democrats, because the term is near-meaningless

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 25, 2018

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Your Taint posted:

This is why I laugh when people prasie him for donating his salary. "HE'S SO SELFLESS HE'S DOING THIS JOB FOR FREE!!" gently caress you.

which iirc theres still no proof he's done that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

eke out posted:

who said anything about organizing republican voters. i said not alienating the evangelicals that are already an extremely important part of the democratic base with ignorant generalizations. evangelical christians are democrats, because the term is near-meaningless

So you’re making a semantic argument?

I don’t mean that to be sarcastic I think I genuinely confused myself here.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

tehinternet posted:

Dude just posted like 15 paragraphs and this is the lazy poo poo you post. C’mon.

my post had more words than this retort so its invalid, sorry

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Condiv posted:

check out this article

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1066462737348419585

notice how CNN does everything they can to tiptoe around the fact that pharma companies have jacked up the price of insulin year over year? notice how they attempt to blame the lack of access on growing numbers of diabetics and even when they do bring up how expensive insulin is, they never actually bother to discuss how it got that way? as if it's just obvious that insulin must be expensive?

:thunk:

Actually, the elephant in the room is that 30 loving million people in America today have Type 2 Diabetes (which is overwhelmingly caused by lifestyle factors).

That's almost 10% of the population.

In 2015, it was estimated that almost 8% of total US healthcare spending was going to treating obesity-related problems. And that's just the average. Some states spend as much as 20% of their Medicaid budget on obesity-related illness.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

I was taught by people with extraordinary patience and even then it was a lot of 100% justified name calling and making GBS threads on me until my opinions improved. Marginalized people should not be expected automatically to shoulder that burden however.

Oh absolutely. We should not be expecting the marginalized to do it. Those of us not marginalized should be changing the people around us and potentially considering the people around them, that they might change in turn. That takes empathy.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at having both obesity and starvation problems. Merica.

The fact that regressives do the whole "but poors have fridges", pre-change Scrooge was the real hero, War on Xmas, and parents of those poors should spend more money on food than ringtones, is such loving bullshit.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 25, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BrandorKP posted:

Oh absolutely. We should not be expecting the marginalized to do it. Those of us not marginalized should be changing the people around us and potentially considering the people around them, that they might change in turn. That takes empathy.

I mean I actually do this irl. But on SA imma poo poo on terrible people for being terrible.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How many Type 1 patients are there compared to Type 2?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How many Type 1 patients are there compared to Type 2?

I think something like 5% of diabetics are type 1. It's a lot harder to be born with a hosed up pancreas than it is to eat yourself into a permanent food coma.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

So you’re making a semantic argument?

I don’t mean that to be sarcastic I think I genuinely confused myself here.

this was all in response to things like

sexpig by night posted:

American evangelical Christianity is a political movement with religious trappings. There are plenty of true believers in the rank and file but none of their leaders have enough of a soul to have actual religious principles that would ever supersede their political ambitions

Radish posted:

The fundamental ideology of American evangelical Christianity is racism.

it's a semantic argument in the sense that i'm saying that using the word 'evangelical' this way is both literally wrong, because it describes a broad tendency by only referring to the most conservative whitest strain of it, and pragmatically wrong as well because you erase or elide the sincerely held beliefs of people that actually agree with us already

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

which iirc theres still no proof he's done that.

there was "proof" in the form of him donating his salary to the national parks service with the ranger receiving the check and looking nonplussed

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think something like 5% of diabetics are type 1. It's a lot harder to be born with a hosed up pancreas than it is to eat yourself into a permanent food coma.

I bet there’s a nice line graph of people with type 2 that starts in the 80s and just shoots straight up.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

KillHour posted:

I agree. There just needs to be some way for society to say "you can't go around waiving swastikas" without either jailing non-fascist minority groups or bringing back lynching. Or maybe there doesn't. Maybe we just say being a Nazi is a first amendment right. But we need to pick. We can't just rely on cops looking the other way because that's going to lead to lynching in places where the cops are the Nazis.

I think you're trying to slice this issue a bit too thinly. It's easy to say "Nazis are bad and shouldn't exist". But when the government is made up by a large portion of Nazis and Nazi-sympathizers any law created to target Nazis would inevitably ensnare people who aren't Nazis and who just have opinions the government currently doesn't approve of (and might not end up targeting Nazis at all!). I believe in the first amendment and free speech and I'm very hesitant to give the government any foothold to restrict it. Being a Nazi or a racist is a first amendment right. But you might also get punched in the face for it.

If someone had punched out George Zimmerman for weird racist stalking before he started carrying a gun around and thinking he was Batman maybe he would have sat at home a lot more pouting and Trayvon Martin would be alive.

I think spanking children is wrong, but it's allowed. If hitting children to correct their behavior is allowed and accepted then punching a grown man for yelling Nazi poo poo at people on the street shouldn't make us get out the fainting couch.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Sounds like the best term would be to call them fundamentalist evangelicals to account for the diversity that exists in the purely evangelical column, but to clarify their focus on alternate history, etc which further defines the “fundie” strain.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

lol at having both obesity and starvation problems. Merica.

Actually, contrary to popular belief, obesity is almost exclusively related to how the body regulates fat. The whole "calories in, calories out" thing is a myth. It is entirely possible to become obese even at a caloric deficit. Your body simply cannibalizes other tissues (starting with muscles) to make up the deficit.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Actually, the elephant in the room is that 30 loving million people in America today have Type 2 Diabetes (which is overwhelmingly caused by lifestyle factors).

That's almost 10% of the population.

In 2015, it was estimated that almost 8% of total US healthcare spending was going to treating obesity-related problems. And that's just the average. Some states spend as much as 20% of their Medicaid budget on obesity-related illness.

Right, but that doesn't really change the situation and gives detractors a believable talking point of "the trick is prevention" despite the fact it'll do nothing for the vast majority of people already diagnosed, and the fact that obesity education/prevention/early treatment also requires money.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Actually, contrary to popular belief, obesity is almost exclusively related to how the body regulates fat. The whole "calories in, calories out" thing is a myth. It is entirely possible to become obese even at a caloric deficit. Your body simply cannibalizes other tissues (starting with muscles) to make up the deficit.

This is... controversial to say the least.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

This is not correct.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

Hell yeah dude, I love to concern troll about non-issues to defend nazis in the street

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Let me ask you, was it right for black sharecroppers to arm themselves against the KKK?

I, the very white, privileged liberal am extremely concerned about this issue! There must be law and order so I can feel comfortable!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this dude rules by the way

https://twitter.com/DamianCollins/status/1066773746491498498

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Direct anti-fascist action works, and your method does not. It is that simple. The only reason you are so concerned about it is that you aren't the target of nazi violence and are comfortable enough to feel upset when a nazi gets punched in the face for some reason

Like you are so concerned about a lesser violence when the right is literally killing people on a regular basis

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Hell yeah dude, I love to concern troll about non-issues to defend nazis in the street

Dude is obviously not trolling, or supporting nazis :cmon: lay off with that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

eke out posted:

this was all in response to things like

it's a semantic argument in the sense that i'm saying that using the word 'evangelical' this way is both literally wrong, because it describes a broad tendency by only referring to the most conservative whitest strain of it, and pragmatically wrong as well because you erase or elide the sincerely held beliefs of people that actually agree with us already

Alright I think I understand and I don’t think I disagree.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

KickerOfMice posted:

Dude is obviously not trolling, or supporting nazis :cmon: lay off with that.

He is making a trade off. To him, allowing nazis to organize in the effort of mass violence is preferable to punching them to prevent that mass violence. He just wants law and order, he seems to be fine when cops do the same violence that the right does.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean I actually do this irl. But on SA imma poo poo on terrible people for being terrible.

Well yeah and we all do here. But that distinction (SA vs irl) you're drawing is a false one.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

I know I’m late but this seems slightly absurd, not in that I doubt they would if they thought that they could get away with it I suppose, but that I don’t think we’re close to that point. That’s the kind of thing that would happen if the comfort of the powerful was legitimately threatened, which we aren’t at yet.

The kind of language they use against Corbyn, including the threat of military coup, is more in line here I think. The American left isn’t that powerful yet.

Yeah, but I'm not saying it happens right now, I'm proposing a thought experiment where it clearly would happen in order to demonstrate a logical contradiction in the whole "vote left in the primaries, but always vote Dem in the general no matter what" idea that's being thrown about ITT.

KillHour posted:

We will have to disagree with the means then. Doesn't mean I don't smile watching that gif of Richard Spencer getting clocked, but it didn't achieve any actual progress besides making that one person afraid of getting punched again and if he died, the guy who hit him would absolutely be facing manslaughter charges or worse (and should).

This is dead wrong and completely misunderstands how nazis work. The appeal of fascism is entirely built on the idea that the fascists are a group of invincible supermen that can do whatever they want to the weak, so when they get the piss beaten out of them it strikes at the very core of their worldview and is therefore a very efficient way of discrediting the entire nazi movement. And doubly so when a high-profile nazi is exposed as a sniveling pissbaby.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

eke out posted:

Copy / paste "Evangelicals" with "White Evangelicals" and you got it made

You will insult precisely nobody that would vote for you, because White Evangelical support for Trump is nearly unanimous (>90%) and the very few ones that don't back him still know what you are talking about

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'm so glad that I got born into this elite club rather than being extremely wealthy or something like that. That said people with Type 2 Diabetes deserve treatment for their disease as much as anyone else, and I'm a little sad that Type 1 Diabetes made me so angry and bitter and resentful toward them for so long.