Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

Has anyone sold their X outright? I’m on Sprint with a 64 GB. Any suggestions on what I should ask for price wise? Battery health is at 99 percent after having it since launch, I figure maybe 600 would be fair?

Assuming it’s unlocked (so full value) I sold my X on SA Mart for about $570. You probably could get $600 on swappa, although the fee would make it about the same anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Swappa is listing tmobile iPhone X's for $630-$700.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I had to retrain FaceID after the septorhinoplasty. I’m impressed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Something Offal posted:

Do you not use your phone much? 99% seems impressive for capacity, I'm down to 91% on my launch X.
Mine is at 98%. Granted, I keep it on a charger most of the time.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

I had to retrain FaceID after the septorhinoplasty. I’m impressed.

I'm impressed it can see me with half my face in my jacket at an angle off my dash

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So it’s getting a bit cold now meaning I’m wearing a jacket with big front pockets and walking around with my Xs and hands in them. My 6s never had this issue because “tap to wake” didn’t exist but with my Xs I keep inadvertent touching the music controls and skipping/rewinding songs, all while everything is in my coat pockets.

Is there a way to fix this? I mean in a few weeks when it’s colder the issue will have disappeared because I’ll be wearing gloves but right now it’s pretty annoying.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

So it’s getting a bit cold now meaning I’m wearing a jacket with big front pockets and walking around with my Xs and hands in them. My 6s never had this issue because “tap to wake” didn’t exist but with my Xs I keep inadvertent touching the music controls and skipping/rewinding songs, all while everything is in my coat pockets.

Is there a way to fix this? I mean in a few weeks when it’s colder the issue will have disappeared because I’ll be wearing gloves but right now it’s pretty annoying.

Simple fix.

Flip the phone around.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KV30IHG/

Lightning deal, won’t last long. $100 iTunes card for $80.

Costco.com still has for e-delivery as well but you must have a Costco membership.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 23, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks for that. There’s a year of Apple Music for $79.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Usually these get claimed in like five minutes but Amazon must have a ton to offer this time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just picked up the XS. Considering a change in case. What's the next best goon favored color after saddle brown?

Bonus: what's the best BF deal right now on Apple cases?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.amazon.com/gp/promotion/A3B1AFATVOLWI

Add up to $100 of ITunes digital credit, then use code ITUNES20 to get it for $80. No Lightning deal necessary...

You can do both if you snagged the Lightning deal earlier.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Well I sure didn’t wake up today planning to spend $160 on iTunes gift cards but :shrug:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well I sure didn’t wake up today planning to clip the edge of my X with a dumbbell and make the screen completely unresponsive to touch and have a band of white down the side.

gently caress.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

The Dave posted:

Well I sure didn’t wake up today planning to clip the edge of my X with a dumbbell and make the screen completely unresponsive to touch and have a band of white down the side.

gently caress.

good thing you're on the apple upgrade program and have apple care + prorated in right?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

are there any black friday deals on budget level iphones that my cheap dad could use on ATT/Cricket?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If he’s not currently a cricket customer, he can become one and get a 6S for $99?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If he’s not currently a cricket customer, he can become one and get a 6S for $99?

Thanks but he’s already a cricket user

Weedle
May 31, 2006

If he’s already on Cricket a 6S is $225, which still isn’t a bad deal.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

good thing you're on the apple upgrade program and have apple care + prorated in right?

lol

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Just went from 7 to X. Has anyone had any luck using a magnetic car mount while still being able to wireless charge?

Can I just move the little metal plate up to the top of the phone? I don’t want to buy a wireless charger and have it not work.

I’d also like a magnetic car dock that wirelessly charges but they all have poo poo reviews

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Wireless charging and metal plates are a no no

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If you missed the $20 savings yesterday, shame on you. They’re offering $15 today. Add up to $100 in ITunes credit and use code APP15 to save $15.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/promotion/landingpage/A2XCDQEXQMMNSX

However, Costco.com has extended their $20 sale through the 26th, but requires a Costco membership. In store likely has this deal as well, I’d suspect.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 24, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

If you missed the $20 savings yesterday, shame on you. They’re offering $15 today. Add up to $100 in ITunes credit and use code APP15 to save $15.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/promotion/landingpage/A2XCDQEXQMMNSX

However, Costco.com has extended their $20 sale through the 26th, but requires a Costco membership. In store likely has this deal as well, I’d suspect.

Thanks for this, nice to be a Costco member (I have to remember to check their online pricing more often).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

AdmiralViscen posted:

Just went from 7 to X. Has anyone had any luck using a magnetic car mount while still being able to wireless charge?

Can I just move the little metal plate up to the top of the phone? I don’t want to buy a wireless charger and have it not work.

I’d also like a magnetic car dock that wirelessly charges but they all have poo poo reviews

You can move the circle plate to the top third of the phone and preserve wireless charging. Did it on my 8 and again on my new XS.

Even easier on the X/XS due to being larger.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Got my dad an ifixit battery replacement kit for his second hand iphone 6. He replaced it, but says when he tries to turn it on now it just shows the Apple logo against a white screen for a few seconds, then turns back off. Might be it wasn't the battery in the first place, or he could have put too much pressure on a connector. It drained the booster battery he's been using to keep it going so it seems like it's charging at least. Anyone know what might be up with it? (probably ought to just get him a new old one but thought it was worth asking)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’m on beta so it could be that, but anyone else being prompted to type password in App Store even after Face ID triggers? No Error message, just looks like it’s working then prompts...

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

TraderStav posted:

You can move the circle plate to the top third of the phone and preserve wireless charging. Did it on my 8 and again on my new XS.

Even easier on the X/XS due to being larger.

Thanks, I’ll have to try it.

I’m having another issue - I’m restoring from iCloud and it’s bringing over all my apps but none of my photos. I dont see why. Photo back up is enabled on my old phone. This is the way I’ve done it on every phone and I haven’t changed any settings.

When I go to iCloud in settings, i have a big purple bar for backups, a decent sized green one for messages, and a minuscule sliver for photos even though there should be 4,500 of them.

Did they change the restore process to sync photos after apps? I’m accustomed to seeing a bunch of gray squares gradually changing into the photos as the restore completes. I’m thinking not since that yellow bar is so tiny.

Is something up with my backup and two years of photos were actually not being saved? I stopped syncing to my computer since iCloud has always worked so well but maybe I’ve been placing 2 years of photos at risk by trusting it? I’m loving glad I didn’t lose or break my phone without knowing this was going on.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Feenix posted:

I’m on beta so it could be that, but anyone else being prompted to type password in App Store even after Face ID triggers? No Error message, just looks like it’s working then prompts...

Just happened to me yesterday, and I'm not on beta. I think it just requires you to re-key your password every now and again. I use the app store so infrequently that it seems like it happens every time I buy something

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Clark Nova posted:

Just happened to me yesterday, and I'm not on beta. I think it just requires you to re-key your password every now and again. I use the app store so infrequently that it seems like it happens every time I buy something

Could be it. :)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Got my dad an ifixit battery replacement kit for his second hand iphone 6. He replaced it, but says when he tries to turn it on now it just shows the Apple logo against a white screen for a few seconds, then turns back off. Might be it wasn't the battery in the first place, or he could have put too much pressure on a connector. It drained the booster battery he's been using to keep it going so it seems like it's charging at least. Anyone know what might be up with it? (probably ought to just get him a new old one but thought it was worth asking)

There are a few possibilities.

#1 - Bad battery. It thinks it's charged enough to boot the phone, starts booting, then dies when it can't provide enough power. Best bet is to try the original battery, assuming it wasn't damaged during removal, and see if it works. Or just another battery.

#2 - Software. I've very rarely seen this, but it's theoretically possible that doing something weird like pulling the battery while the phone is on or giving it a static zap in the wrong place will screw it up. Try getting it into restore mode (power phone off, hold the home button while plugging it into a computer's USB port) and see if it stays on or powers off. If it stays on, a restore might fix it at the expense of anything that's not backed up.

#3 - Broke something during the repair. There's not TOO much in the battery area that could cause this kind of thing, unless he used a metal tool to unplug the battery, or had a slip with the screwdriver. I have seen a few where nicking the flex cable for the ear speaker/proximity sensor can cause boot looping, but it would be weird to damage that one and not the LCD cable so it's not super likely. Static or a discharge from plugging/unplugging the battery at a weird angle could also cause damage. If this is what happened, it's probably best to replace the phone. Board damage usually isn't worth getting fixed.

[edit] What was it doing originally? If it was working, but not holding a charge, then likely it's a bad battery or something got damaged during the repair. If it was boot looping prior to the battery swap, it's probably software or another hardware issue.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

buglord posted:

please stop reminding me about my long-dead pebble classic :negative:

Have you heard the word about http://rebble.io? I've been using my Pebble with my shiny new iPhone and it still works beautifully. Had to pay for a watchface that worked with the weather and steps the way I wanted, but I'm still hanging on to this.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

I upgraded from an iPhone 6 Plus to an iPhone XS last week, and it's been pretty great. My only complaint is that True Tone makes the display way too warm for my taste. I don't think it's just a matter of me being accustomed to displays with too much blue light, either. If I didn't see the settings myself, I would assume I had night shift on.

Here's a shot I took of my iPhone XS on top of my iPad Pro 10.5. Both devices had True Tone on and brightness turned up to maximum, displaying the same solid white image in Photos. Even with my cheap point-and-shoot camera, the difference is obvious:

Unless True Tone is tuned differently for the iPhone, something seems odd. I know I'm comparing OLED and IPS LCD displays, but isn't the whole point of True Tone to make white points and colors appear the same on different devices?

RoboCop 3 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 25, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

RoboCop 3 posted:

Unless True Tone is tuned differently for the iPhone, something seems odd. I know I'm comparing OLED and IPS LCD displays

You answered your own question here.

Changing the color temp on a traditional LCD display doesn’t change the backlight temp, it just changes the white point the LCD displays.

OLED doesn’t have a back light so in theory it is a more accurate representation of color temp.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Literally had the same experience last night when I was helping my partner with her XS. I asked her, "Why is this thing so yellow? Do you have night shift on?" but indeed it was only True Tone. I also have a 10.5 Pro with True Tone on and have never felt annoyed by the warmth of it. With the XS it was the first drat thing I noticed.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

e.pilot posted:

You answered your own question here.

Changing the color temp on a traditional LCD display doesn’t change the backlight temp, it just changes the white point the LCD displays.
Sure, but...

RoboCop 3 posted:

... isn't the whole point of True Tone to make white points and colors appear the same on different devices?
Obviously True Tone can never make two displays using two completely different technologies look exactly the same, but I’d hope that it could get them somewhere in the same neighborhood. If I turn night shift on on my iPad Pro and set the color temperature slider to about 20% while still keeping True Tone on, it’s actually pretty close to my iPhone XS display (and, again, too warm to my eyes). That doesn’t seem right to me unless I’m completely misunderstanding the point of True Tone.

RoboCop 3 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 25, 2018

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

RoboCop 3 posted:

That doesn’t seem right to me unless I’m completely misunderstanding the point of True Tone.

CustomerSurveyPreferredTone just doesn't have the same ring to it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
If you really cared about color reproduction and temperature as a photographer or something you’d turn True Tone off anyways. True Tone is a consumer level feature and you’re expecting far too much of it. It’d be like using automatic white balance on photo editing software and complaining the results are 100% consistent.

I have bad news, the bokeh on portrait mode isn’t 100% perfect either.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

okay i'm sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Anyone know of a clear case (for a x if it matters) that doesn’t eventually turn yellow or is that just a fact of life about those things?