Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Conservation society. We have gift shops and we use the funds to breed and reintroduce endangered species and do conservation stuff all over the world. Everyone thinks we should be giving our poo poo away and get mad at us all the time because we don't do blowout sales. If we mark down stuff to cost or below, endangered animals are technically paying people to take shirts and toys out of our store.

Uhh excuse me, says here you're a nonprofit, so you shouldn't be charging at all, just give me all your poo poo for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I was never in a position to give them stuff for free or anything
That is exactly the problem. Be nice, get nothing. Be an arsehole, potentially get whatever you want. And the worst that happens is you still don't get what you want, which means you've lost nothing by trying.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tiggum posted:

That is exactly the problem. Be nice, get nothing. Be an arsehole, potentially get whatever you want. And the worst that happens is you still don't get what you want, which means you've lost nothing by trying.

Weren't there some famous articles/books a few years ago that were very popular that basically said 'always be a bitch, complain and you'll get a discount'?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

Weren't there some famous articles/books a few years ago that were very popular that basically said 'always be a bitch, complain and you'll get a discount'?

Art of the Deal?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tiggum posted:

I’ve met quite a few people who are 100% like this. It’s definitely a learned behavior.

Personally, I stockpile all of my retail and customer service aggression until I have to speak to comcast. I elevate at least two levels so I’m not ruining some call-center-worker-bee’s day, and then I cut it loose, because if you’re a manager for Comcast, you deserve neither mercy nor quarter.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I find the bitchy customers just want some kind of accountability or a chance to vent. When I was team lead of a helpdesk call center I'd hear an agent's voice start to rise and just have the call transferred to me. From there it was a standard operating procedure to let them vent, isolate the problem, and most importantly provide them some way to reach me again if the issue reoccurred. These were usually self-important small business owners and they liked having an inside track others didn't have.

Or in the case of an extended outage, I'd promise to call back every hour to check on their status. Because people's fear during a big system failure is that everything will start working again except for their service and they'll be forgotten. During one particularly bad fiber cut they got annoyed at me by the third time I called them to say, 'yep still down'.

But yeah, the system has trained certain people to be assholes. It's just a matter of getting ahead of them and defusing it as much as possible.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The other side of the coin is what ToxicSlurpee said, a lot of companies will rip you off. My current employer doesn't actively, maliciously try to cheat customers, but quite often it happens that they retroactively identify irregularities with billing or whatever, and mysteriously fail to inform the client. If you're a conflict-averse sort of person (and I am) and/or you're not paying close attention, you're almost certainly being overcharged on a regular basis, even if it's usually not on purpose.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

Working over a decade in a grocery store and a call center has caused me to be insanely nice to retail workers. It's become hard to actually be a loud rear end in a top hat when it's called for, all of two times.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'll occasionally lose it when I have to call tech support and give them attitude but I typically apologize to them before the call ends because I know it's not their fault but I can't talk to someone whose fault it actually is.

Although I did make a guy at some logistics company mad enough he was yelling about how I was a moron during a call with his boss the other day. Not my fault he didn't know how to read a bill of lading.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

HopperUK posted:

In pharmacy we're allowed, and in fact required, to sometimes just flat out refuse to sell somebody something, and there are people whose brains kind of break when that happens. They stare and say "No, it's all right" and I end up having to say very slowly and clearly, "I'm not going to sell that to you, because it's not safe for you".

It’s funny how in retail pharmacy the suits who have never stepped inside a real pharmacy in their lives are still trying to force the bullshit US customer service concept into a medical process where we’re responsible for loving not killing people with dangerous drugs.

Phlegmish posted:

The other side of the coin is what ToxicSlurpee said, a lot of companies will rip you off.

That’s still not permission to treat a first contact, front-facing worker like dogshit. This all really does get down to abuse and the fact too many companies still allow customers to get away with ugly, gross behavior while marketing themselves as having wonderful customer service. Meanwhile there’s plenty of people who use that as a way to foist their anger, bigotry, and misogyny on someone they see as “forced” to “take it,” and most of the time management just brushes it off with “don’t take it personal.”

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

It’s funny how in retail pharmacy the suits who have never stepped inside a real pharmacy in their lives are still trying to force the bullshit US customer service concept into a medical process where we’re responsible for loving not killing people with dangerous drugs.

How does that work? Are you expected to give people drugs despite what their doctors say, just because they throw tantrums?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sounds good to me

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I'm in a position where I can change prices at the register on items if it's damaged or on sale but doesn't ring up right, etc., and if you're nice, or at least not a loving jerk, I'll do whatever.

two women came in and purchased similar items but separately. the first one was like $15 and the other was like $3 on clearance. both of the things were items I knew we were packing up for the season. so after both transactions I asked the lady with the $15 item to hand me her receipt and I did a refund for the difference because gently caress it! and it was her birthday! it felt nice because it made them so happy!

most of my interactions with customers are neutral at least. very rarely I deal with horrible people, but just one can ruin my day. :(

if people are nice enough to give me their email, because unfortunately we have to ask for it, I give them whatever coupon I personally have available.

obviously I hate collecting emails, it's lovely and scummy imo, but I have a separate valid email address to give to cashiers when they need one.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I'm nice to people in customer service positions because I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shifty Nipples posted:

I'm nice to people in customer service positions because I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, when I cancelled my Comcast service to switch when I moved I told the phone guy everything I felt about the company. However, I didn't yell at him.

Exactly what I did was I said "now, I'm not going to yell at you because you're just a phone dude trying to make a living. However, I have a lot of complaints so it would be great if you'd pass everything I say up the chain." Then I calmly explained every last reason I despised the company he worked for. That kind of job sucks massively as you become the face of the company and guess who customers hurl all of their abuse at? I, for one, won't abuse the poor guy on the phone. A lot of that is because lovely company policy isn't his fault. He's just the first person you talk to and his main job is to tell you "no" repeatedly until you give up.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The biggest problem is that we've trained customers to be lovely. If a customer is nasty enough usually customer service will give them something free or a big discount to get them to shut up and go away. Want to pay less for your cell phone? Just scream at the guy at the customer support line until they give you a discount. People have learned that businesses, big ones especially, reward lovely, abusive behavior. Conversely if you're nice and decent then there are companies that will deliberately try to rip you off.

Which of course just makes retail work suck even more than it already does.

Which is why I loving love working customer service for a government entity, I don't have to worry about keeping someone happy just because we need their money and I certainly don't have to really care if they ask for a supervisor. I give them the information they need and that's it, I can be as nice and as terse as I want it loving rules.

I'm nice no matter what but I don't have to have some middle manager asking me why I'm not smiling all the time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Exactly what I did was I said "now, I'm not going to yell at you because you're just a phone dude trying to make a living. However, I have a lot of complaints so it would be great if you'd pass everything I say up the chain."
There is absolutely no point in doing this. You're wasting your time, you're wasting the CSR's time, your complaints are going nowhere.

If you're looking to get a discount or a refund or a better deal then you need to be an arsehole because otherwise they'll just fob you off with whatever the standard offer is. You need to be enough of a pain that you get passed on to someone who's actually authorised to offer you something. If you're not trying to get anything then just get the call over with as quickly as possible so that they can get on to the next one. Polite complaints go nowhere and achieve nothing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Phlegmish posted:

Uhh excuse me, says here you're a nonprofit, so you shouldn't be charging at all, just give me all your poo poo for free

It's scary how many people actually believe this.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Picnic Princess posted:

It's scary how many people actually believe this.

Are these the same people who don't want government handouts like universal healthcare and a functional education system?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

There is absolutely no point in doing this. You're wasting your time, you're wasting the CSR's time, your complaints are going nowhere.

If you're looking to get a discount or a refund or a better deal then you need to be an arsehole because otherwise they'll just fob you off with whatever the standard offer is. You need to be enough of a pain that you get passed on to someone who's actually authorised to offer you something. If you're not trying to get anything then just get the call over with as quickly as possible so that they can get on to the next one. Polite complaints go nowhere and achieve nothing.

Sending a letter to the CEO works too. He or she never sees the letter, but their office will read it and usually forward the matter to the extra secret escalation department that actually gets stuff done. If they're regulated in any way, hit up a government agency too.

Comcast pulled some poo poo on me regarding data quotas (locked me out of my internet until I called their helpdesk where they tried to upsell me on a more expensive package). I reported it to the FCC and a middle manager at Comcast called me pretty quick to explain how Comcast totally wasn't trying to rip me off why would I think such a thing.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

walrusman posted:

How does that work? Are you expected to give people drugs despite what their doctors say, just because they throw tantrums?

Nope. We explain to the patient they need to tell us the specific medicine because we don’t know if the doc changed something, or we don’t want to assume the patient needs X when it’s actually Y they need. Also doctors mess up RXs all the time meaning we have to get a hold of them clarify dosing or instructions or something. Too many people think doctors are infallible instead of recognizing that like any job most are passably meeting expectations.

What’s ridiculous is a patient will make a complaint to corporate for poo poo like this and it’s taken seriously each time instead of blowing the person off for being rude and entitled. Meanwhile hours are cut and it’s physically impossible to provide the level of customer service the company shills, meaning our precious feedback scores are low, meaning we’re taken to task for it.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

walrusman posted:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

. Also doctors mess up RXs all the time meaning we have to get a hold of them clarify dosing or instructions or something. Too many people think doctors are infallible instead of recognizing that like any job most are passably meeting expectations.

Or the doctor will tell us to fill their Rx despite the fact that it's dangerous. In Ohio (and I'm assuming other states), Opioid & other pain-killer prescriptions are automatically recorded into a database that a doctor would check before prescribing any to a patient; that way they know if someone is doctor-hopping and getting more than they should. Naturally, many don't check and it falls on us pharmacy techs to check and make sure you don't OD.

Key tip-offs are multiple doctors, multiple pharmacies and telling us not to run it through their insurance (since it would reject for being too early to fill). At that point we tell the customer "lol nope, you should still have two weeks of this left" and they leave to try elsewhere. Of course even that doesn't always work. Without getting into HIPAA violations, we have a customer that's on opioids and muscle relaxers that constantly "loses" one of the two and wants them filled at least a week early. She'll come in, flip her poo poo at our pharmacist because they won't release her drugs, then a race between the two of them starts as they both try to contact her (current) doctor who then tells us that they don't give a poo poo, just give it to her and if she pulls this again they won't see her as a patient anymore (they will).

It's incredibly frustrating because, hey, we don't want this person to kill themselves and have that on our consciences thanks to the doctors and our corporate office, we get to see this woman look worse and worse with each passing month.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Moai Ou posted:

Without getting into HIPAA violations, we have a customer that's on opioids and muscle relaxers that constantly "loses" one of the two and wants them filled at least a week early.

I'm on a variety of muscle relaxers and they don't effect me mentally at all. Is that a thing? My pharmacist feels like I should be knocked unconscious by the variety of things I'm on and I don't even get slightly buzzed. Also, codeine is the same way.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Beachcomber posted:

I'm on a variety of muscle relaxers and they don't effect me mentally at all. Is that a thing? My pharmacist feels like I should be knocked unconscious by the variety of things I'm on and I don't even get slightly buzzed. Also, codeine is the same way.

Everyone has different tolerance levels, like any drug. When i got painkillers after a surgery it knocked the pain from unbearable to tolerable but definitely didnt give me a high.

I was a lot heavier then though that likely didnt help.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Beachcomber posted:

The human body is really complicated, and every person is different. For example, I got a prescription for Vicodin after a root canal and as far as I can tell, the primary effect of the drug is "making me want to fight people and eat more Vicodin" which scared me to the point that I requested my doctor not to prescribe me opioids unless they were literally the only option.

Also, the dosages that people do drugs for fun is usually higher than the prescription amount, which combined with tolerance, sharing, selling, and other factors, is why people run out early.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
A couple makes an annual trip to Jamaica as a memorial for their deceased son.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-46475631

quote:

His godmother Ms Baker, from Hertfordshire, who was also on the trip, tipped two members of staff at the Royalton Jamaica Resort to secretly adorn the couple's bedroom with balloons and a cake.

Instead, they created the effigy, replete with tears on its face and a can of lager clutched in its hand, next to petals spelling out "We miss you Alex".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/kyrib/status/1072285079408275456?s=21

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I will never ever get tired of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOAqmDBUDfA

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The only time I get mad with customer service phone banks is when they give me information that doesn't mean anything when I have to call back. Like i had to call AT&T a few times a few years back because I bought a refurb cellphone from them online and it arrived reported stolen and fully locked. So I'd call and get customer service, and they'd be like "Gee, that sounds impossible, but here's my name and a case number and I'll get to work on it." Two days later I'd call back and they'd be like "There's no such person and that's not the format of our case numbers."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The customer service lines that do nothing but tell you to visit their website the entire time you wait are the worst.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

theironjef posted:

The only time I get mad with customer service phone banks is when they give me information that doesn't mean anything when I have to call back. Like i had to call AT&T a few times a few years back because I bought a refurb cellphone from them online and it arrived reported stolen and fully locked. So I'd call and get customer service, and they'd be like "Gee, that sounds impossible, but here's my name and a case number and I'll get to work on it." Two days later I'd call back and they'd be like "There's no such person and that's not the format of our case numbers."

"Let me give you my name and case number. Do you have a pen? Case no is '420-69-420' and my name is 'Richard Getthefuckouttahere' "

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know if these are necessarily dumb marketing moves but they boil my blood, so, mission accomplished I guess?

hair drawn on instagram ad to get you to swipe it up to go to their shopping site

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The hair is at least clever. How many people are gonna buy shoes after being tricked by an ad though

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is that what that is supposed to be?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, the idea is that you think a hair fell on your screen and if you swipe up to brush it off you'll accidentally pull up the ad's webpage. Presumably they think you'll be so tickled by their clever prank that you'll immediately buy fake Yeezys that you were previously going to ignore.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
If you go to their page you gave them a view based on the ad, so success.

I really like that Cancel Subscription one, its a remarkable level of deviousness.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

You can get fined for this poo poo in the US, although what they may be able to do is make 5 second change to their CSS file if they ever get audited to make it visible again.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, the idea is that you think a hair fell on your screen and if you swipe up to brush it off you'll accidentally pull up the ad's webpage. Presumably they think you'll be so tickled by their clever prank that you'll immediately buy fake Yeezys that you were previously going to ignore.

The person who designs the ad doesn't give a poo poo as to how many people actually buy the shoes. Their job performance is measured by how many people click on the ad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jabor posted:

The person who designs the ad doesn't give a poo poo as to how many people actually buy the shoes. Their job performance is measured by how many people click on the ad.

If thats how their performance is being measured in 2018 the advertising manager on the shoe brands side should get fired today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Barudak posted:

If thats how their performance is being measured in 2018 the advertising manager on the shoe brands side should get fired today.

Well yeah, but every advertising manager in the history of the world should be fired.

Out of a cannon, into the sun.