Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

just finished Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson and it was very enjoyable and rigorous overall, but what the gently caress was up with that ending and how long it lingered on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I finished reading Bad Blood which is about the whole Thoranos thing and honestly it's the CSPAMmiest book I've read this year

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

im on the net me boys posted:

I finished reading Bad Blood which is about the whole Thoranos thing and honestly it's the CSPAMmiest book I've read this year

Ive been wanting to read this but my library doesnt have a copy and even the used copies are still like 17$

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

TheDon01 posted:

Ive been wanting to read this but my library doesnt have a copy and even the used copies are still like 17$

Does your library not have it on Overdrive either? Mine did.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Does your library not have it on Overdrive either? Mine did.

Is that some sort of e-reader thing? I cant read anything longer than a twitter post on a screen.

Ill pour over hundreds of pages of dead tree books tho

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

TheDon01 posted:

Is that some sort of e-reader thing? I cant read anything longer than a twitter post on a screen.

Ill pour over hundreds of pages of dead tree books tho

Yeah it's a service that libraries use for ebooks :(. See if your library does interlibrary loan!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Lathe of Heaven is 3 bucks today on Audible, for thems what like audiobooks

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I've finally started my promise to myself to alternate between books in English and Spanish and I'm having fun with some fiction from Spain right now. Can anyone recommend some interesting Spanish-language nonfiction? Preferably available as an ebook.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I'm catching up on leftist theory after a decade of miserable liberalism, and also I have a horrible addiction to publisher ebook sales and used book stores. Which of these works that I already own should I read next once I'm done with Capital Vol I?

The Ecology of Freedom by Murray Bookchin
Riot. Strike. Riot by Joshua Clover
A People's History of the World by Chris Harman
Rebel Cities by David Harvey
The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein
What is to be Done? by V.I. Lenin
Liberalism: a Counter-History by Domenico Losurdo
Reform or Revolution? by Rosa Luxembourg
Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell
In Defense of Lost Causes by Slavoj Zizek

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Goon Danton posted:

I'm catching up on leftist theory after a decade of miserable liberalism, and also I have a horrible addiction to publisher ebook sales and used book stores. Which of these works that I already own should I read next once I'm done with Capital Vol I?

The Ecology of Freedom by Murray Bookchin
Riot. Strike. Riot by Joshua Clover
A People's History of the World by Chris Harman
Rebel Cities by David Harvey
The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein
What is to be Done? by V.I. Lenin
Liberalism: a Counter-History by Domenico Losurdo
Reform or Revolution? by Rosa Luxembourg
Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell
In Defense of Lost Causes by Slavoj Zizek

the bolded items would be my suggestions for what to read first. just bear in mind, obviously, that with these works there’s going to be advocacy, you may not be getting all of the facts, reasonable minds may be able to differ on the conclusions etc.

Red Dad Redemption has issued a correction as of 06:47 on Nov 26, 2018

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

The Lathe of Heaven is 3 bucks today on Audible, for thems what like audiobooks

it's taking me forever to get through that book because i have really vivid dreams all the time and the story freaks me out more than it should

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Poniard posted:

it's taking me forever to get through that book because i have really vivid dreams all the time and the story freaks me out more than it should

lol yeah I probably should've warned about that, it's a real mindfuck if you are a vivid dreamer and ESPECIALLY if you are prone to deja vu

reminds me of the time I was halfway through Ubik, like literally reading the part where they're realizing what's going on, and my buddy called me, screaming about WHAT DAY IS IT? WHAT DAY IS TODAY? and I had like a mini mental breakdown

he was calling because it was space bat day

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

the bolded items would be my suggestions for what to read first. just bear in mind, obviously, that with these works there’s going to be advocacy, you may not be getting all of the facts, reasonable minds may be able to differ on the conclusions etc.

Thanks. I'm going into it fully aware that each book is an argument from a specific point of view, and I'm just trying to get a broad knowledge base of the various tendencies to be aware of each ones arguments and criticisms of the others.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Halfway through suttree and it's been a whole lot of "old man wanders around noticing things" with the barest sprinkling of hijinks

What am I missing? Like everybody recommended this to me but so far it's been a slog with some parts that are really well written

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Could anyone recommend a book on attitudes towards homosexuality throughout history? I’m interested in why it was so vociferously condemned in the Bible and post-Rome, but would also like a look at cultural perspectives worldwide.

sapphomoric
Dec 26, 2016

I’m trying to have some sort of control over buying Verso books this month (they’re all half off)—any must-reads from there I should definitely take advantage of?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Anyone read Neuromancer? Does it hold up?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

StashAugustine posted:

I tried like a year or two ago to try it and I couldn't get into it despite being really into cyberpunk but a lot of people still swear by it so I say just give it a shot

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

We should really have a smiley that's like just post but it's just read

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

We should really have a smiley that's like just post but it's just read

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

StashAugustine posted:

i reread it recently and liked it

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

sapphomoric posted:

I’m trying to have some sort of control over buying Verso books this month (they’re all half off)—any must-reads from there I should definitely take advantage of?

I have absolutely no control and brought several books already. Just buy books on topics you're interested in I guess. I just finished Extreme Cities and it's left me hopeless about what's being done about climate change in major cities.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
If you're after cyberpunk but don't want Gibson I'd suggest Paulo Bacagalupi's The Water Knife, in which the western states of the USA are in a shadow war over access to the Colorado River, the last water in the West

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I started reading le guin a few weeks ago and I'm halfway through the dispossessed which is an extremely good book about a moon anarchist who goes down planetside and calls everyone a propertarian. good as hell

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I started reading le guin a few weeks ago and I'm halfway through the dispossessed which is an extremely good book about a moon anarchist who goes down planetside and calls everyone a propertarian. good as hell

it's an insanely good book and author

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Speaking of the Verso sale, I saw this book (https://www.versobooks.com/books/2435-the-autonomous-city) in an anarchist book store and really wanted to get it but didn't have much money at the time, and I was looking through the covers on the site just now and thought it had a kind of similar design. Lo and behold, the book!
E: After posting this saw Zizek and said "oh god they have Zizek" and my partner said "I thought you liked Zizek" and I said "No I like joking about Zizek"

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Verso for some reason can't verify my debit card so I guess I'm buying these books later. Oh well?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

finished neuromancer. a lot of the setting details are obviously old hat by now and its got a bit of the ol cyberpunk exploitation poo poo (although i read richard morgan who's way worse so can't throw stones) but its still pretty good overall. trying to decide what to get out of the library next, might actually give dune a shot

E also I now get @turing_police's username

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Dec 17, 2018

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

it's an insanely good book and author

there's a bit where the main character goes to a high society party, gets shitfaced, astonishes the people with his doctrine, cums on a woman then throws up and passes out. it loving rules

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the bitcoin of weed posted:

there's a bit where the main character goes to a high society party, gets shitfaced, astonishes the people with his doctrine, cums on a woman then throws up and passes out. it loving rules

they were astonished as hell

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ya the dispossessed rules. tangentially the bit at the end always make me lol a little at the line in the guilliotine "we got hella people, they got helicopters."

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

the dang bible

Unironically reading the Bible

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Yo I'm about to do my yearly 12 hour drive home for Christmas, need a good audio book.

I like sci-fi, I listened to halderman's Forever War last time and it was really good

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Scionix posted:

Yo I'm about to do my yearly 12 hour drive home for Christmas, need a good audio book.

I like sci-fi, I listened to halderman's Forever War last time and it was really good

Solaris but it's not long enough, Dune maybe, or you could start in with The Expanse or The Three Body Problem

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

get some PKD, I've heard good things about Ubik and Palmer Eldridge and will probably pick up one of those when i finish the book I'm on

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ooh yeah ive been meaning to read man in the high castle. should i get that, dune, or another gibson?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

how about man in the guy castle and it's just for guys

(idk all I've seen is part of the amazon series, the book is probably much better)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I didn't like The Man in the High Castle but loved Ubik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i mostly remember the war nerd fascist sci fi episode where dolan raves about it