Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Well it's a bit more complex because you have to get the zeros as a hash of previous transactions hence the integrity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

The whole world is a ponzi scheme.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjAmfiL3IVc&t=36s
no pity for the people who didnt pull out their money back when the bogdanoffs promised to crash these markets months ago

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Great timing, Ohio: https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/25/18111336/ohio-bitcoin-business-taxes-josh-mandel

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
reachable at

Ohio Morons
30 E. Broad Street - 9th Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

gary oldmans diary posted:

in the data being hashed theres also public part of some basic public key cryptography too to verify what transactions are processed. just like everything on the internet has used for a long time
revolutionary blockchain technology!

There's an entire generation of bitcoiners that don't seem to be aware that public key cryptography has been around since the 1970s. So they keep reinventing common PKI things, except with bitcoins awkwardly shoehorned in: when logging into a system, instead of typing a password, why not use a bitcoin wallet to authenticate? Brilliant! :rolleyes:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

gary oldmans diary posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjAmfiL3IVc&t=36s
no pity for the people who didnt pull out their money back when the bogdanoffs promised to crash these markets months ago

What in the holy hell is wrong with their faces

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

McSpanky posted:

grift injections

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Nothing, anymore

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Josh Mandel is the poster boy for 21st century GOP chud failsons so this is in no way surprising

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

what do you mean, tax deliquency? why is my btc valued on time-of-receipt? i started the payment transaction three months ago

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

notevenrealguy posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if China and also some western countries give blockchain based ID systems and digital voting a shot in hopes of preventing fraud.

The idea that blockchain tech somehow prevents fraud by bad actors is one of the biggest indicators that its main proponents have no idea what the tech actually is.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That's all this is. What.
Yup. Now look up the transaction rate and the power consumption figures. Single digits for thousands of megawatts.

This is one of the most wasteful things in all of history, maybe actually the worst in sheer inefficiency.

Even better, the mining hardware is not useful for anything else. A hasher isn't a computer, it can only compute hashes and is useless for anything else. If the price goes low enough to make mining unprofitable they will just go in a giant garbage dump.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
:capitalism:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That's all this is. What.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DKCFjm0DvE

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

A purely digital commodity whose only value is for illicit activity exchange and raw bubble speculation that requires enormous energy investment that also contributes significantly to global environmental crisis is such a stupid idea that I imagine no sci fi dystopian author had come up with it before bitcoin.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

To be "fair" to the buttlords, the massive waste is more like a side effect of their principles gone wild rather than an explicit design feature. While other cryptocurrencies are still stupid, they are somewhat less lousy - if with the same incentives to burn a thousand tons of coal to make a libertarian ten cents.

But then, as we learned from the old bitcoin forums, 1.0 is always the best version.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Spatial posted:

Yup. Now look up the transaction rate and the power consumption figures. Single digits for thousands of megawatts.

This is one of the most wasteful things in all of history, maybe actually the worst in sheer inefficiency.

Even better, the mining hardware is not useful for anything else. A hasher isn't a computer, it can only compute hashes and is useless for anything else. If the price goes low enough to make mining unprofitable they will just go in a giant garbage dump.
Someone photoshop atari 2600 box art for bitcoin, tia

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
And it's back over $4000.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Computational difficulty for proof of work and trying to avoid 51% attacks by having a large enough computational network is part of bitcoin's inherent design and is not really the principles gone wild. A better argument would be bitcoin might've been a proof of concept that got out of hand since global transaction rate limits that can't scale are a very obvious design flaw that someone wouldn't want for something that is now bitcoin's size. The extreme energy waste is a fundamental principle of the design of these cryptocurrencies AFAIK.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Lolie posted:

And it's back over $4000.
We did it reddit!

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Nessus posted:

To be "fair" to the buttlords, the massive waste is more like a side effect of their principles gone wild rather than an explicit design feature. While other cryptocurrencies are still stupid, they are somewhat less lousy - if with the same incentives to burn a thousand tons of coal to make a libertarian ten cents.

But then, as we learned from the old bitcoin forums, 1.0 is always the best version.

it shoulda been in hitchhikers guide. i.e. ford and arthur stumble upon a civilization forever stranded on it's planet cause they burned all their fuel printing digital money

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Up almost $400 over the course of an afternoon

What a stable fuckin currency

I look forward to the great glorious future where I place an order online for some clothes and just a few hours later get a message saying "number go up. you gotta pay more now, or your order's canceled"

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Very stable, goes up whenever Tether pumps in a few millions.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

comedyblissoption posted:

Computational difficulty for proof of work and trying to avoid 51% attacks by having a large enough computational network is part of bitcoin's inherent design and is not really the principles gone wild. A better argument would be bitcoin might've been a proof of concept that got out of hand since global transaction rate limits that can't scale are a very obvious design flaw that someone wouldn't want for something that is now bitcoin's size. The extreme energy waste is a fundamental principle of the design of these cryptocurrencies AFAIK.
There's an argument that the market isn't free enough with how the block discovery bonus is structured and it's giving payouts out of sync with what a fair price for mining should be. But yeah honestly proof of work in a computer system is going to have growing pains unless we hit some sort of ceiling on Moore's law. Any way you look at the games around digital proof of work it all comes out gently caress the rest, more power, more hardware.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Crypto: an idea so obviously self-destructive that hundreds of cyberpunk dystopia authors never thought of it before, because even in the technofascist hellfuture the corporate overlords want actual fuckin' money.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
When is the next time the rewards halve?
I have no idea, but if thing's don't get more irrational it should be the death knell.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/DoveyWan/status/1066678209679249408

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

McSpanky posted:

Too much plastic surgery.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
And back under $4000.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

McSpanky posted:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/bogdanoff-twins

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If I was going to play with the funbux (and I won't), I'd say buy today and sell on the afternoon of December 3. I feel like people who get checks on the first of the months are going to go nuts, have fun quoting this in a few days to laugh at me

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Ooooooohhhh China's out lol

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Facebook Aunt posted:

Too much plastic surgery.

why look like a lost menendez brother when you've got lion face money

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lol:

OneSirMeow posted:

I would expect (big-enough) miners would just use futures or options to lock-in profits and just keep mining.
maybe the big enough miners also realize that futures and options on unregulated exchanges where manipulation can wipe your position with a wink and a nod is anything but a "lock"

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Yeah whatever bitcoin is under $4k for now ha ha ha it sucks for now

But here’s the thing: it was at $18k once, and it’ll be there again. You won’t be laughing so much then

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

My Linux Rig posted:

But here’s the thing: it was at $18k once, and it’ll be there again. You won’t be laughing so much then

Ah, but friend, laughing at GhosTTy posts is priceless

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

My Linux Rig posted:

Source your quotes.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Waffle House posted:

Ah, but friend, laughing at GhosTTy posts is priceless

Are you sure it’s priceless?

You could have bought bitcoins for $30 and sold today for close to $4k. But you didn’t cause you were too busy shitposting about it, seems like it did cost you something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

My Linux Rig posted:

Are you sure it’s priceless?

You could have bought bitcoins for $30 and sold today for close to $4k. But you didn’t cause you were too busy shitposting about it, seems like it did cost you something

Whole lotta people who bought in very early also cashed out very early. Dog dick coffee table guy cashed out at what, 40 bucks? And he bought some cheap Nissan or something with it and then got hosed by the IRS.

I could've bought bitcoins at 60 cents but I wouldn't have a dime out of it today even if I did, because the whole ecosystem is hosed. Largest exchange gets hacked and robbed and exit scams in shame? Smaller exchange is running their entire platform on an Amazon instance with no backups? Ponzi scheme? Hard drive failure? Typo a single digit while sending money? Fall asleep next to a mining rig and wake up with brain damage? Unfamiliar with specific nuances of your country's tax code? Went to a bitcoin conference and had your dozen laptops stolen in plain sight? Got mugged by someone who overheard your nerd poo poo? Swallowed your USB drive because you were terrified of getting robbed?

Fiat user not affected

edit: I looked it up, dog dick coffee table guy bought a Prius and it was more like 20 bucks

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 26, 2018