Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Codezombie posted:

I use an old battered 360 controller... :smuggo:

I modified one of these with a keyboard o ring on the left stick so it would stop going clackyclackyclack when I was flicking around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Codezombie posted:

I use an old battered 360 controller... :smuggo:

Doesn't it hurt when you stomp on that?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I drive with that 1990s pc wheel that just goes over your keyboard and presses keys

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Has anyone had issues with hamstring pain from sim racing? For the last month or so it seems that if I drive for any length of time my hamstrings go tight and to the edge of cramping up- and this lasts for hours/up to a day afterwards. Someone on reddit said change my seat, which is just an old Playseat that i've had for years and never caused me issues before now. New seat would mean a new rig though and that's a lot of money to throw at something that I'm not even sure would work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont know what the mounting is like on the Playseat, but you can get really good automotive seats for cheap. I have a Focus ST seat on my rig that I got for $25 on FB Marketplace.

I'd imagine you could mount other things to the frame before you scrap the whole thing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NtotheTC posted:

Has anyone had issues with hamstring pain from sim racing? For the last month or so it seems that if I drive for any length of time my hamstrings go tight and to the edge of cramping up- and this lasts for hours/up to a day afterwards. Someone on reddit said change my seat, which is just an old Playseat that i've had for years and never caused me issues before now. New seat would mean a new rig though and that's a lot of money to throw at something that I'm not even sure would work.

Something as simple as changing your posture could fix it. Even could be your posture throughout the day, and racing just pushes it over the level to hurt.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Spaced God posted:

I drive with that 1990s pc wheel that just goes over your keyboard and presses keys

You should upgrade to the one that you mount your mouse to and a dowel turns the mouse ball.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

tuo posted:

Doesn't it hurt when you stomp on that?

In my working career I've found they are surprisingly robust. Even when after a bug you thought you fixed is reopened, they still work after being thrown across the room.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Codezombie posted:

In my working career I've found they are surprisingly robust. Even when after a bug you thought you fixed is reopened, they still work after being thrown across the room.

Regression is only two letters away from aggression.

Makes you think ;)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Science Goy posted:

....so Kartkraft is back and will be going into Early Access on 11/1. How about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD1jWQ0N08g

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

NtotheTC posted:

You're pinching a nerve. Change the seat, it is putting pressure in a spot it ought not to. My pop suffered from this for a while, a new comfy seat will get her done.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'll also add, get a seat from a passenger car, or some manner of seat built with long hours in mind if you can. Actual race seats are designed to hold you in place first, with comfort being secondary. I'm assuming you dont have a 3DOF motion rig, so you dont really need to be kept in place. Passenger car seats are designed for long hours in the seat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everyone time to up your sim rig game

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Everyone time to up your sim rig game

The more apt simracing comparison is if instead of a dog he was on one of those broomsticks with a plush horse head

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

G29+shifter is $200 on amazon right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...uage=en_US&th=1

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Spaced God posted:

The more apt simracing comparison is if instead of a dog he was on one of those broomsticks with a plush horse head

That's the toothed-plastic gear version. The dog is the belt driven version.

One of those animatronic bucking broncos from a bar would be the direct drive version.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Already unavailable, only lasted 4 hours.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

osker posted:

You're pinching a nerve. Change the seat, it is putting pressure in a spot it ought not to. My pop suffered from this for a while, a new comfy seat will get her done.

I use 4 seats regularly, my office chair, my sim racing chair, my car seat (1hr commute to work) and my work office chair and they all give me the same symptoms to a greater/lesser extent. I think sim racing is worse because my legs are active and under tension more often. I suspect you're right about the nerve thing though- I visited my GP who said it matched the symptoms of a herniated disc which could be pressing on the sciatic nerve

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

G920 on sale for $200 at Best buy.. seriously considering this over a hope for fanatic. Black Friday deal on the csl for 299. (If that even happens)

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 10, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The ACC Multiplayer update was supposed to drop today. Anyone try it?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

NtotheTC posted:

I use 4 seats regularly, my office chair, my sim racing chair, my car seat (1hr commute to work) and my work office chair and they all give me the same symptoms to a greater/lesser extent. I think sim racing is worse because my legs are active and under tension more often. I suspect you're right about the nerve thing though- I visited my GP who said it matched the symptoms of a herniated disc which could be pressing on the sciatic nerve

Stretch your hamstrings and work on your core.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I recently pulled my Driving Force Pro out of the back of my closet and picked up F1 2018 and I've having an absolute blast with the Career mode.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm the guy playing Dirt Rally that saves up $650k for one of the modern WRC cars, was absolutely not ready for the bump up in performance, and now struggles to pay his engineers. And places around 5th at the Elite level.

Car good, money management bad.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

a mysterious cloak posted:

money management bad.

Argh, just got the mail introducing the new Fanatec F1 wheel

Somebody need a Fanatec McLaren wheel and/or the former F1 carbon wheel?

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
Order placed. This plus the Advanced Paddles Module is basically everything that I've ever wanted in a wheel, without being a bespoke creation that costs a (significantly larger) fortune.

Thought about waiting for the standard edition (presumed to be shown here at 51s), since the gold accents and F1 logo are a tad gaudy and don't really do anything for me, but the cutout rim shape was enough to tip the scales. Plus, this covers off the risk that they only release the advanced paddles in the gold colour scheme, which won't match the red and black scheme. Not that I think it's particularly likely, but why risk it?

Now to wait and see how much the advanced paddles cost - the SRM paddles were too expensive for my taste since they only modified shifter feel, but the Fanatec module provides that plus clutch paddles plus another two paddles.

tl;dr: Don't buy tuo's Formula Carbon wheel, buy mine instead.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Smirk posted:

Order placed. This plus the Advanced Paddles Module is basically everything that I've ever wanted in a wheel, without being a bespoke creation that costs a (significantly larger) fortune.

Thought about waiting for the standard edition (presumed to be shown here at 51s), since the gold accents and F1 logo are a tad gaudy and don't really do anything for me, but the cutout rim shape was enough to tip the scales. Plus, this covers off the risk that they only release the advanced paddles in the gold colour scheme, which won't match the red and black scheme. Not that I think it's particularly likely, but why risk it?

Now to wait and see how much the advanced paddles cost - the SRM paddles were too expensive for my taste since they only modified shifter feel, but the Fanatec module provides that plus clutch paddles plus another two paddles.

tl;dr: Don't buy tuo's Formula Carbon wheel, buy mine instead.

:same:

It's all the poo poo i modded onto my wheels, but better. And I enjoy each of those mods, but always think "you could have done better". It's expensive as gently caress (and I don't even know what the podium upgrade costs), but compared to all the 1500 to 3000 dollar bespoke-only-works-with-some-stuff wheels out there, this one looks like a steal. I guess the non-limited version is pure black or whatever, but that thing is cool and good. German simdrivers are pissed, though, as it was sold out within two hours.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Also: has Fanatec fixed the dual clutch yet? I never picked the McLaren wheel up again within the last three months. Is it still wrong and hosed and bad, or like a dual clutch should work?

Also: do NOT buy my carbon F1 wheel, I modded the poo poo out of it. Buy my McLaren rim, I used it just couple of times due to hosed up dual-clutch and never went back to it.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Y'all got 3 hours UK goons to buy the logitech wheels at their cheapest yet! £130
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Driving-Racing-Pedals-UK-Plug/dp/B00YUOVBZK

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BTW: I think the wheel at 51s is the prototype to the new F1 wheel, OR they actively discontinue the current rim, introduce the new one with the mercedes like handles, and then reintroduce the old one as "more sturdy because no cutout" as the podium one. It's Fanatec, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is the evil option.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
The GPL 2.0 mod for AC is out, and it's pretty drat good. Get it here.
Nice video showcase here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7RBP0qdP84

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dang, that looks really cool. I'll have to check it out.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So I got a g27, a vr headset, dirt rally and project cars 2. How do I get talented enough to do a full lap without smashing into a wall?

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
I recommend travelling back in time and starting out with GP2 in 1996.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I can't speak to PCars or VR, but for Dirt Rally... uhhhh, prepare to crash a LOT. Watch some of the tutorials, they're fairly decent. Pick a FWD car for your first rallies. And of course...

Don't cut, be brave.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Parallelwoody posted:

So I got a g27, a vr headset, dirt rally and project cars 2. How do I get talented enough to do a full lap without smashing into a wall?

only turn the wheel when you don't touch the pedals. (so don't steer when braking, don't steer when accelerating)

then try to figure out how you sometimes can do both at the same time

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Parallelwoody posted:

Drive slower.

For real.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast and all that.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Hop into the Stratos and floor it.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah I've been cruising with the kart in PC2 basically only first or second gear unless it's a long straightaway, but I can't seem to tell when the turns are coming up. I try to glance at the minimap but keep clownshoesing myself into barricades. Looks like it's just more practice and familiarity with the tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It takes me about 10 laps to start to learn a track, keeping an eye out for features and markers to set some initial brake and turn points. After that I can start to put some speed into it and get a feel for things.

Then by 50 laps or so I start to get belligerent and gently caress up corners because I want to shave more time and it's either beyond my skills or the speed isn't there. :v: