Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I guess what I was looking for was someone said every book had a companion of some kind in 2e, like Changeling is going to have Oak, Ash, Thorn, and I was wondering what those books were

If that person wasn't just being wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Every book that had a Kickstarter gets one, but Mage didn't, so it doesn't.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rand Brittain posted:

Every book that had a Kickstarter gets one, but Mage didn't, so it doesn't.

Fuckin rip, whTs the Vampire and Werewolf ones then? Secrets of the covenants and ????

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Fuckin rip, whTs the Vampire and Werewolf ones then? Secrets of the covenants and ????

The Pack, I think.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what does a long-running, really buff werewolf game session tend to look like

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Tollymain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9wO0Q4VoiE&t=765s

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tollymain posted:

Game we played, one of our tanks went frenzy and tore through the Detroit metro highway in rush hour such that it played in the news as a particularly strong freak tornado

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Mage is getting an apparently-huge expansion called Signs of Sorcery, though, so there's that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

So "Teen Wolf" with extreme audio desync?

Also Heat Seaking Missile Launchers?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Random Changeling questions:

Would Changelings be able to ID a Werewolf in human form as a Werewolf?

My thought process was that they should be able to because they can see other Changelings as they are (mein? Seeming? I don't remember) so in theory that works on other supernaturals in the world.

Or is that not a thing because "Don't mix the games"

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

joylessdivision posted:

Random Changeling questions:

My thought process was that they should be able to because they can see other Changelings as they are (mein? Seeming? I don't remember) so in theory that works on other supernaturals in the world.

Or is that not a thing because "Don't mix the games"

If you're talking about CoD, per the CtL2 book on p. 107, any changeling with less than half Clarity damage full can spend a Willpower to use kenning. Regular success reveals "that dude is a supernatural being" while exceptional success allows for more detailed information but still nothing too specific, e.g., "that dude's a vampire of some sort."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurieg posted:

Also Heat Seaking Missile Launchers?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

If you're talking about CoD, per the CtL2 book on p. 107, any changeling with less than half Clarity damage full can spend a Willpower to use kenning. Regular success reveals "that dude is a supernatural being" while exceptional success allows for more detailed information but still nothing too specific, e.g., "that dude's a vampire of some sort."

Oh OK. I'm still reading through the 1e Lost core and didnt look closely at mechanics.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

joylessdivision posted:

Oh OK. I'm still reading through the 1e Lost core and didnt look closely at mechanics.

Oh, well stop that, 2E is out as PDF and physical should be shipping soon

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Soonmot posted:

I did see the pre-order was available still, I just wasn't sure if 2e was officially out yet. Thanks for the heads up!

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Tollymain posted:

I was really thrilled at how our last session ended. We're on a break for the holidays but it looks like things are going to get amped up even further.

Anyways I was having fun and shopped a little image to represent events as they occurred (though the werewolf in question was wearing a metal horned bull mask).

A session should kinda be like a good episode of a tv show, or movie. Thrills, chills, action and tension, overcoming some odds and getting a satisfying lead up to downtime after the big event. I try to end on cliffhangers or big reveals a lot.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
So today, I finished the last session of a year and a half long campaign of Orpheus.

I wanna talk about it but since it's Orpheus I'll put it under spoilers.

So, an important point to make first is that I am the only player who was in every game, and played a single character throughout. Everyone else switched up their characters in one way or another, but I was there on the first day of Orpheus training and was there at the end, in the Underworld.

I had found Part 6 incredibly underwhelming. My GM admitted that he had changed things from the book, and now that it's over and I've had a look at what was actually in Endgame, every change he made was for the worse. But the main thing was that the Storm Wall, which in the book is not easy to traverse but not overly restrictive, was now an inpenetrable barrier that nobody could cross. This was really bad for me considering that up until now I had been playing a Skimmer, and had built a lot of my character around the opportunities given to me in that role. So suddenly my character is missing a huge arrow in their quiver but, whatever, it's fine. It's fine.

But what really wasn't loving fine was that at the end of the game, my character who had been through every single thing, seen the very worst of this campaign (which for the most part I had loved and been really hooked on) got precisely no ending. Went off to do the thing to defeat the big villain, and then... it went back to focus on the three characters who weren't involved in that, and they got an epilogue. He didn't even confirm that I had died until I prodded him a bit.

I know I should just talk to my GM about all this, but it was a really, really dissapointing end to what had up until then been a great campaign.

With that out of the way, I have a question: We may or may not be doing Werewolf in the near future. nWoD Werewolf 2E, to be precise. But I want to play a Bone Gnawer, since Hobowolves are my favourite out of everything. I know the translation guide suggests making them a lodge of the Iron Masters, and I am okay with that since it doesn't at all interfere with being a righteous hobo wolf. However, the way lodges work in 2E is very different compared to 1E, and I wanted to ask the thread if they had any ideas on how to make it work.

EDIT:

Dawgstar posted:

Do you mean Iron Masters? I certainly don't see a reason why one wouldn't live on the street if you wanted them too. It's not like they have the Glass Walkers' thing of generally being at least middle class and up or anything. Go for it.

I did mean Iron Masters, and have changed it accordingly. And what I mean by that is that yes I can just play a general hobowolf, but the idea presented in the Translation Guide, which I agree with, is to make it a Lodge that Iron Masters and Ghost Wolves can join. Except the way that lodges work changed between 1e and 2e, and now wondered if people had ideas about what the mechanics could be like.

Hattie Masters fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 24, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Do you mean Iron Masters? I certainly don't see a reason why one wouldn't live on the street if you wanted them too. It's not like they have the Glass Walkers' thing of generally being at least middle class and up or anything. Go for it.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Hattie Masters posted:

With that out of the way, I have a question: We may or may not be doing Werewolf in the near future. nWoD Werewolf 2E, to be precise. But I want to play a Bone Gnawer, since Hobowolves are my favourite out of everything. I know the translation guide suggests making them a lodge of the Storm Masters, and I am okay with that since it doesn't at all interfere with being a righteous hobo wolf. However, the way lodges work in 2E is very different compared to 1E, and I wanted to ask the thread if they had any ideas on how to make it work.

I don't know much about Apocalypse (and am supplementing this with the wiki info), but iirc Bone Gnawers are the city wolves, but not quite the Glass Walker-level of city wolves. Storm Lords really do exemplify the 'inner strength' kind of thing, so being a strong-willed survivor can fit them. Iron Masters are traditionally seen as the more 'city wolf' types, they watch, tend and weed humanity and adapt a lot. Really any tribe can go with the idea of hobowolves, depending on the attitude. A Hunter in Darkness would focus on a particular domain, like a set of alleys or scrapyard, they're big on territory. Blood Talons are more straight-up killers, which a hobo might be good for, with all the stealth and skullduggery, as they have a lot of things that lend themselves to being thieves. A Bone Shadow probably fits the least, just at first glance, but you can be the sort of decrepit urban shaman you see alone in Shadowrun. Ghost Wolves are also an option, if the character has a strong independent streak and maybe tribes aren't for them.

I think Hunters in Darkness and Iron Masters probably lend themselves most to what I imagine a hobowolf would hunt. Hunters in Darkness go after the hosts, which are human-infiltrating vermin (the most widely known type are rats and spiders) that tend to amalgamate and grow really powerful. Iron Masters hunt humans (and human offshoots like vampires/mages, etc).

Looking at the White Wolf wiki entry for their camps, it looks like the Swarm would be Blood Talons, Frankeweilers, Hood, and Rat Finks would be Iron Masters, Hillfolk would be Hunters in Darkness, Deserters might fit Ghost Wolves, Road Warders could be Hunters in Darkness but the tribe might be secondary to the lodge, they seem like they'd fit the Thousand Steel Teeth who are road warrior types that hunt prey on the roads (they're in the Pack supplement). Man Eaters would probably be Blood Talons or Storm Lords from the Lodge of Wendigo which I don't think has been updated to second edition.

Lodges are cults, they offer a way to focus your beliefs beyond the tribe, but werewolves don't do spiritual stuff halfway so they have secret ceremonies and rites and beliefs. If you have 1e's books, the Lodge of the Scavengers from Shadows of the UK might have been attempt to bring Bone Gnawers across, they're called bone-pickers.

nofather fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 24, 2018

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I guess what I was looking for was someone said every book had a companion of some kind in 2e, like Changeling is going to have Oak, Ash, Thorn, and I was wondering what those books were

That person was just being wrong. There's no shared template for "companion" books that separates them from any other supplement, except that Kickstarter goals can often include budgeting for a supplement to fit in stuff that was considered for the corebook but didn't fit in its wordcount.

There are supplement books for the 2e lines, but Mage's first 2e supplement is still in the phase of development where they contract art and illustrations. Vampire 2e currently has four, Werewolf has one, Promethean has one, and Demon has six or so.

joylessdivision posted:

The reason they can see each other's mien is that everything with a fae nature shares an illusion that fellow fae see through. Kenning works, but that's a different thing and an actively invoked ability.

When you look at a Hunterheart, that guy is actually physically some kind of pantherman, and you're piercing the fae illusion that makes non-fae (including werewolves) see a non-panther human instead. When you look at a werewolf, that guy is actually physically a human man. His shapeshifting isn't dropping the illusion of man, it is literally his shape shifting. He has no Mask to see through.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 25, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
IIRC a werewolf's other forms always exist, and if you can see the Shadow and the regular world at the same time you can see them all sort of blurring and overlapping.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Soonmot posted:

joylessdivision posted:

I did see the pre-order was available still, I just wasn't sure if 2e was officially out yet. Thanks for the heads up!

If I can offer a dissenting opinion, maybe not. Changeling 2e has some warts to it.

The good: 2e books are good and shiny and have nice things like a much better table of contents. Kith and Seeming being decoupled is wonderful and really opens the scope of what sort of strange fey gribbly you can be. The sample courts are interesting departure from spring/summer/winter/fall. Contracts seem fairly servicable.

The Bad: Oneiromancy is enormously, critically jank, to the point where I don't think you can make a character who specializes in it (Even in your own dreams, you're look at 5-10 rolls and spending a huge chunk of glamour and willpower to change a dream in a significant way), and Oneiromachy, having Dreamfights, is pretty much entirely gone. Pledges are vestigial, they were really, really strong in 1e, but now barely do anything.

If you don't care about making pledges or going into dreams, then you're probably fine, but Pages 209 to 222 are kind of a sore spot in this book for me.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I Am Just a Box posted:

That person was just being wrong. There's no shared template for "companion" books that separates them from any other supplement, except that Kickstarter goals can often include budgeting for a supplement to fit in stuff that was considered for the corebook but didn't fit in its wordcount.

There are supplement books for the 2e lines, but Mage's first 2e supplement is still in the phase of development where they contract art and illustrations. Vampire 2e currently has four, Werewolf has one, Promethean has one, and Demon has six or so.

The reason they can see each other's mien is that everything with a fae nature shares an illusion that fellow fae see through. Kenning works, but that's a different thing and an actively invoked ability.

When you look at a Hunterheart, that guy is actually physically some kind of pantherman, and you're piercing the fae illusion that makes non-fae (including werewolves) see a non-panther human instead. When you look at a werewolf, that guy is actually physically a human man. His shapeshifting isn't dropping the illusion of man, it is literally his shape shifting. He has no Mask to see through.

Okay that totally makes sense. I haven't read Werewolf yet, but the core mentioned Changelings meeting other supernaturals, hence my line of thinking.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Crasical posted:

If I can offer a dissenting opinion, maybe not. Changeling 2e has some warts to it.

The good: 2e books are good and shiny and have nice things like a much better table of contents. Kith and Seeming being decoupled is wonderful and really opens the scope of what sort of strange fey gribbly you can be. The sample courts are interesting departure from spring/summer/winter/fall. Contracts seem fairly servicable.

The Bad: Oneiromancy is enormously, critically jank, to the point where I don't think you can make a character who specializes in it (Even in your own dreams, you're look at 5-10 rolls and spending a huge chunk of glamour and willpower to change a dream in a significant way), and Oneiromachy, having Dreamfights, is pretty much entirely gone. Pledges are vestigial, they were really, really strong in 1e, but now barely do anything.

If you don't care about making pledges or going into dreams, then you're probably fine, but Pages 209 to 222 are kind of a sore spot in this book for me.

Yeah this isn't wrong. I've got a darkling chiurgeon (artiste but medicine) and I was going to specialize in oneiromachy, but after reading the second it's meh.

I still really enjoy it, though.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

IIRC a werewolf's other forms always exist, and if you can see the Shadow and the regular world at the same time you can see them all sort of blurring and overlapping.

It doesn't matter from the perspective of a changeling, for whom the ability to view both sides of the Gauntlet at once is vanishingly rare, if at all extant.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Crasical posted:

This would be my first crack at running a WoD game for a couple of friends who have also never played a WoD game (one has never played an ttrpg) so :shrug: I'll probably pick up 2e but I've already got all the 1e books in digital.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Changeling 2e was worth it just for my Ogre being able to go to anger management support groups a la wreck it ralph's bad-anon.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Well, just wrapped the Garou data entry at long last.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Crasical posted:

So... Can you in theory just pick use Oneiromancy and Pledges from 1E and plug it into 2E?

My players only did Oneiromancy in one session where they went inside one of the PC's dreams to fight against his Keeper - who was haunting him there -, so it wasn't really used but was one of the highlights of the campaign.

Naturally they did a lot of pledges, so they'd want to do more of them if we played another game.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Merging now. Pre-merging there's about 9500 Garou and Garou Pop entries, which I think is likely to end up at around 7-8000 once pruned of all merges and misfilings. There's also over a thousand packs, protectorates, caerns, hives, and septs unmerged.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ZearothK posted:

So... Can you in theory just pick use Oneiromancy and Pledges from 1E and plug it into 2E?

My players only did Oneiromancy in one session where they went inside one of the PC's dreams to fight against his Keeper - who was haunting him there -, so it wasn't really used but was one of the highlights of the campaign.

Naturally they did a lot of pledges, so they'd want to do more of them if we played another game.

Pledges would be the biggest thing I'd miss from 1e too. They definitely needed some sort of change, but I think they probably went too far for 2e. It was far too easy to just keep adding dots to your sheets with pledges (which is the point, but they just needed some better limits/tradeoff).

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

ZearothK posted:

Well, here's the problem. Oneiromancy is, relatively speaking, way easier to port without breaking anything, but like you said it's not something that necessarily comes up that often. Pledgecrafting is conceptually really cool and is going to come up a lot, but it's nerfed as hard as it is in 2e because that system is busted. Either run with 2e pledgecrafting and give them way more fictional weight and play fast and loose with what they can give NPCs, or use 1e's system and police everything so hard so you don't end up breaking the XP system and relative power levels wide open.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hunter pop numbers should be easier because many of them are conveniently numbered!

Seriously though. The Project is a wonder.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe attach a cap determined by wyrd

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Tollymain posted:

maybe attach a cap determined by wyrd

From what I recall of the Lost game I was in like a decade ago, pledges are bonkers enough that you can really gently caress up the power dynamic with just one or two. Really, the system did need to be rewritten entirely, but from what I hear (I haven't read CtL2's pledges yet) they're just sorta "meh" now, which is honestly worse when they're such a potentially fun gimmick to go in on.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Adding a cap based on wyrd is not a bad idea, actually. If the size of boon/curse you can levy is dependant on wyrd, it means you actually have to be pretty Fairystronk before you can do things like barf Resources 5 onto a dude.

You'd probably want to look at Demon Pacts as a guideline for what all you can offer mortals.

Crasical fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 25, 2018

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Crasical posted:

Adding a cap based on wyrd is not a bad idea, actually. If the size of boon/curse you can levy is dependant on wyrd, it means you actually have to be pretty Fairystronk before you can do things like barf Resources 5 onto a dude.

You'd probably want to look at Demon Pacts as a guideline for what all you can offer mortals.

Having just read the section on Demon Pacts, they're still pretty strong and easy to break a game with. And unless it's a Soul Pact, you're just paying willpower points for imbalance in the deal.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I mean, Chronicles/World of Darkness games are wildly unbalanced by default. That isn't really a problem unless part of the players can monopolize solutions to problems. This is more an issue where the game generally has a single track of challenges (like in a combat-centered game where some of the PC's are in a whole other tier), but I've found Storytelling games tend to have a wide variety of problems that require different toolsets to solve, so it isn't as bothersome. And if the game is drama-focused instead of problem-focused it is a matter of giving everyone their time in the spotlight.

I do agree limiting the scope of a pledge (instead of just the amount) by Wyrd is a good idea, though, culling imbalances is still good design, but my group and I were fine with the very powerful pledges of 1E.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I remember in Masquerade when it was said, "the Malkavian will suffer the torments of his mental illness for eternity; the Gangrel will get a patch of fur on her back. This should be enough to cure you of delusions of cosmic justice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

That Old Tree posted:

From what I recall of the Lost game I was in like a decade ago, pledges are bonkers enough that you can really gently caress up the power dynamic with just one or two. Really, the system did need to be rewritten entirely, but from what I hear (I haven't read CtL2's pledges yet) they're just sorta "meh" now, which is honestly worse when they're such a potentially fun gimmick to go in on.

Yeah, 1e pledges get hyper-bonkers if a player knows how to use them. And that's not even accounting for players who know the rules better than the STs and the STs are overwhelmed by what they want to do.