Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The most memorable gaming experience of the year for me was getting 4 people together to play RE Outbreak 1 and 2...that was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

To expand on Hylics being Good As Hell I read a review raising an excellent question I hadn't considered before: why aren't there more absurdist or surrealist games? The medium is perfect for it.
Check out Dujanah, Beeswing, and Beckett.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I have played ADOM, Terraria, Enter the Gungeon, Streets of Rogue, Black Mesa, and Fallout 4 this year. My #1 GotY is Streets of Rogue. Excellent developer and very fun game. Deeply look forward to future projects and potential expansions to SoR. Shoutouts to Enter the Gungeon being both lovely and really fun to play, Black Mesa for being a very cool experience after a single-sit playthrough of Half-Life 1 when I housesat for my cousin, and Terraria for nearing 500 hours after 7 years, with another big update still to come. Thumbs down to Fallout 4 for keeping me interested 1/10th as long as New Vegas and 3 did.

ADOM is still Roguelike Of The Year, Every Year, All The Year, staring with unblinking eyes in the corner as it sharpens a knife. So no comment.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Black August posted:

ADOM is still Roguelike Of The Year, Every Year, All The Year, staring with unblinking eyes in the corner as it sharpens a knife. So no comment.

Yeah

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

me when there's no iconoclasts on these lists

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Shoutouts to it giving the most weirdly appealing name for not-hobbits I've ever seen in anything.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

don't have it, or celeste

I did get some stuff in this week's sale that came out this year: prey mooncrash, astro bot vr, moss, sagebrush, and the spectrum retreat. so i'll try to play them within the next month. i think the only other 2018 games i have are orwell season 2, we were here too, and staxel

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Accordion Man posted:

Check out Dujanah, Beeswing, and Beckett.

Well those look rad

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Memorable games for me this year:
Shadow of the colossus
Last guardian
Nier automata
The music in octopath
Gorogoa
DQ11
RDR2
Another couple hundred hours in football manager 18
Mario odyssey

Biggest disappointments:
Mario tennis aces
Octopath traveler

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Help Im Alive posted:

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

In Training posted:

The most memorable gaming experience of the year for me was getting 4 people together to play RE Outbreak 1 and 2...that was awesome.

RE Outbreak loving rules

I bought the PS2 modem just to play that poo poo and it was worth every penny

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

One of my few Gaming Regrets is not being in on Outbreak when it happened

I got RE4 on GameCube though and that was enough for me

May 8, 2006

The only game I've tried that even attempted to give an RE:Outbreak like multiplayer experience was Dead by Daylight, and people raged because they couldn't do a bland-rear end generic competitive queue with their friends.

They should have launched with 2 queues and playing with your friends rules, but I respect the idea

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFcLyDb6niA

Crowbcat (minor) update

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 26, 2018

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I think nearly every game I've played this year has been a disappointment except for finally beating Katamari Damacy and enjoying what I've played so far of Tales of Vesperia. The biggest let down was Project X Zone 2. Never before have I seen a passable game ruined by the QoL improvements made to it's sequel. Can you tell I've been working through a stack of old games?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

:worship:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Missing
Yoku's Island Express
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Yakuza 6

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
jimmy & the pulsating mass is the most memorable game i played that no one else did

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Beat Great Bay Temple. Hate to say it but Majora’s Mask isn’t a good game upon replay. It’s ok, but it’s not good much less great. It’s unique but when you’ve already experienced that uniqueness its appeal melts away and ultimately unique doesn’t necessarily equate to “good”. After Master Quest, of the first three dungeons, all are babby level to me. I used to think the game had good dungeon design but it really doesn’t. The mini dungeons might be better but I haven’t really messed with them. The unfortunate reality of most of the mini dungeons is that they’re fetch quests gnabbing fairies (which is a poor replacement for Skulltulas).

This means that not only are the dungeons mostly poor, there’s only really four of them to top it off. The core gameplay outside of dungeons isn’t compelling either. A lot of content is hidden by poor mini games and since there’s so few dungeons to boost your hearts with boosting the heart piece container count to a series record of 50+ to collect. Most of the rest is filler or bloat - despite how many masks you can collect only four to five prove useful in long term. Also, for all the talk of how unique Majora’s Mask is it rehashes lots of Ocarina wholesale: lost forests, Gerudo stealth missions;etc. To make matters worse, some of the most notable quests in the game are poor fetch quests waiting for and delivering mail. Yawn.

The biggest compliment I can give Majora’s Mask is its unabashed devotion to its themes, setting, and story. The tone is incredible, its atmosphere thrilling. I think that’s the main brunt of what got me so invested in Majora’s Mask in the past: its story. But upon replay it reveals just how uncompelling the overall story beats are beyond the themes and some bright spots like Anju and Kafei.

It’s unfortunate to say this because at one point Majora’s Mask was my favorite Zelda. I really haven’t enjoyed my replay of it with the same gusto I had for Ocarina which is still fantastic to this day, traveling around Hyrule field aside. I used to equate game experiences that were unique as good games for their bravery and courage to do something new, and while I still applaud that I don’t find it makes for a compelling game.

I think games like Dead Rising 1 and Breath of Fire V have done much better use of this games concepts with none of its flaws.

It’s good to revisit old favorites to see if you feel the same way about them. Unfortunately sometimes that might mean you think the game is no longer for you anymore, but that’s ok.

Greatly looking forward to Fire Emblem Advance after Majora’s Mask.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

blow it out your rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

blow it out your rear end

Lol

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Majora's Mask is poo poo from the rear end.

top 10 for 2018

Hitman
Yoku Pinball-vania
Messenger, for the funny shopkeep
Into the Breach
Obra Dinn
Dead Cells technically went 1.0
Pillars of Eternity 2
Spiderman
Devil May Cry V trailers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The experience of playing MM the first time was one of the highlights of my gaming career but when I rebought it on 3DS (after having bought the 3DS largely for the purpose of doing that) I never finished it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Himuro posted:

Beat Great Bay Temple. Hate to say it but Majora’s Mask isn’t a good game upon replay. It’s ok, but it’s not good much less great. It’s unique but when you’ve already experienced that uniqueness its appeal melts away and ultimately unique doesn’t necessarily equate to “good”. After Master Quest, of the first three dungeons, all are babby level to me. I used to think the game had good dungeon design but it really doesn’t. The mini dungeons might be better but I haven’t really messed with them. The unfortunate reality of most of the mini dungeons is that they’re fetch quests gnabbing fairies (which is a poor replacement for Skulltulas).

This means that not only are the dungeons mostly poor, there’s only really four of them to top it off. The core gameplay outside of dungeons isn’t compelling either. A lot of content is hidden by poor mini games and since there’s so few dungeons to boost your hearts with boosting the heart piece container count to a series record of 50+ to collect. Most of the rest is filler or bloat - despite how many masks you can collect only four to five prove useful in long term. Also, for all the talk of how unique Majora’s Mask is it rehashes lots of Ocarina wholesale: lost forests, Gerudo stealth missions;etc. To make matters worse, some of the most notable quests in the game are poor fetch quests waiting for and delivering mail. Yawn.

The biggest compliment I can give Majora’s Mask is its unabashed devotion to its themes, setting, and story. The tone is incredible, its atmosphere thrilling. I think that’s the main brunt of what got me so invested in Majora’s Mask in the past: its story. But upon replay it reveals just how uncompelling the overall story beats are beyond the themes and some bright spots like Anju and Kafei.

It’s unfortunate to say this because at one point Majora’s Mask was my favorite Zelda. I really haven’t enjoyed my replay of it with the same gusto I had for Ocarina which is still fantastic to this day, traveling around Hyrule field aside. I used to equate game experiences that were unique as good games for their bravery and courage to do something new, and while I still applaud that I don’t find it makes for a compelling game.

I think games like Dead Rising 1 and Breath of Fire V have done much better use of this games concepts with none of its flaws.

It’s good to revisit old favorites to see if you feel the same way about them. Unfortunately sometimes that might mean you think the game is no longer for you anymore, but that’s ok.

Greatly looking forward to Fire Emblem Advance after Majora’s Mask.

incorrect but thank you for sharing

i will say i revisited tales of symphonia a few years ago and felt the same way tho. that game was very important to tween me but woof do i think it's garbage now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think i'm comfortable letting my memories of majora's mask stay memories

never actually played the game without a strategy guide on my lap

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i replay old games all the time so the idea of doing something for a second time isn't that revolting for me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I buy remasters of games I played 15 years ago, mess around for an hour and say "hey I remember this thing," then most likely shelve them forever. The only exception to this was Shadow of the Colossus because it's just that good.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Looper posted:

i replay old games all the time so the idea of doing something for a second time isn't that revolting for me

this is more or less why i don’t believe spoilers are a thing

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i replay mm every year and it slaps so hard

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I barely played any games this year and haven't seriously touched one in the past 6 months. I think the most gaming I did was playing a bunch of DoW II multiplayer earlier this year.

Might of played Subnautica more but I'm still mad at that game for burning me so hard with glitches.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

I barely played any games this year and haven't seriously touched one in the past 6 months. I think the most gaming I did was playing a bunch of DoW II multiplayer earlier this year.

Might of played Subnautica more but I'm still mad at that game for burning me so hard with glitches.

i was hoping that since assassin’s odyssey is a thing, origins would’ve been super discounted, but nope. so yeah, looking like my goty 2018 is going to be let it die pc port and that depresses me more than a lot of things

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

although my brother convinced me to pick up into the breach and i thought it had been around over a year but apparent it was released february 2018 so there’s still hope

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You need to go on a journey to reconnect with your inner gamer

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

The Missing
Yoku's Island Express
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Yakuza 6

Yak6 was so good drat i amend my list

The missing fell flat for me. On the one hand i like how the story addressed a very poorly handled topic in deadly prem in a much better way for a bit of authorial redemption i suppose but just the business of playing the game was so tedious. That regenerating animation was so long!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i can't make a game of the year list until after christmas

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
how can you make a goty list when darksiders 3 isn't out yet?!?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

Getting a pen and pad from santa

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

oddium posted:

december 7th at least, yeah

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

how can you make a goty list when darksiders 3 isn't out yet?!?

What if you start every year on November 26?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean i know the release schedule for the rest of the year so unless there’s something that already came out i didn’t pick up it’s moot

• Locked thread