Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Eminai posted:

So, this might do a lot to explain why so many people are seeing shiny rates that seem to be significantly worse than what the numbers commonly cited would suggest

https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonLetsGo/comments/a04czm/the_true_shiny_rates_in_lets_go_serebiis/

TL;DR Version: you need to make the non-shiny pokemon despawn in some way rather than waiting for them to disappear on their own, either by encountering them or by doing a zone change.

Oh son of a bitch. I wondered if something like this was going on! That might explain why I never found a shiny Ponyta!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Uhhhhh have people not been doing this already? Considering it can take 30+ seconds for a pokemon to run away Ive just been encountering them and then running to spawn new ones faster

I wasn't because moving uses up the Lure faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The last two days while you were having fun progressing through the game, I studied the Diglett.

By which I mean I chained 90 and got quite a few Pokemon into the upper 30s.

Didn't catch any shinies on that chain, though I do have 2 from the first chain.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I don't mind just catching them as they come if I'm low on money. You rack up candies at like 50 pieces a catch at 31+, and a full stack of candies sells for somewhere between 9-10k. If you're farming a low level shiny, it's pretty profitable to just keep catching, buy more pokeballs if you need them and sell the candies.

If you're using great or ultra balls, though, I don't know if that would still be a good method costwise.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It's about time that I seriously tried for a shiny. I got up to like 13 chaining shiny krabbys docked, so I guess the next step is to try it handheld. Motion catching is fine most of the time but if you need to chain, it's handheld or bust.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Pokémon anime being an eternal limbo where no one grows old sounds like hell
This is almost every long-running story in our time

ever hear about these things called serialized comics?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Amppelix posted:

This is almost every long-running story in our time

ever hear about these things called serialized comics?

That's why Dragon Ball and Jojo own

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

I mean...he is. He's a Japanese man flying to Hawaii. Is there anything wrong with a tourist dressing as one?

There’s tourists and there’s TOURISTS. Misty looks like she’s ready to have a nice trip to Alola. Brock looks like he bought his shirt at the airport and is going to spend 50 dollars on a lovely seashell necklace.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

There’s tourists and there’s TOURISTS. Misty looks like she’s ready to have a nice trip to Alola. Brock looks like he bought his shirt at the airport and is going to spend 50 dollars on a lovely seashell necklace.

Yeah it's great

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, don’t mistake this for a complaint. This is perfectly in character for everyone involved.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Brock wearing the Windows XP background is great

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just burned 40 ultraballs and all my razz berries trying to get Articuno, until I said "gently caress YOU" and sent it a golden Pinap and threw a premier ball at it, got excellent throw on the move and caught it

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I just burned 40 ultraballs and all my razz berries trying to get Articuno, until I said "gently caress YOU" and sent it a golden Pinap and threw a premier ball at it, got excellent throw on the move and caught it

Please try to not shout gently caress-words at the children's game

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Yeah you're supposed to catch the legendaries in Premier Balls.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Trying to find a Dratini on route ten, chaining Magikarp in the meantime, and have found if I stand up while doing it I am an ace poke ball thrower.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Game beaten, Hall of Fame reached!

Final team was Rapidash, Dodrio, Kabutops, Gengar, Alolan Exeggutor, and Eevee.

Good team overall, mostly dudes I've never used before. They were a fun crew! Game is good, still wish there was an option to not use the motion controls when in docked mode.

Next up Mewtwo has an appointment with a Maser Ball.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

your goal is to catch Mewtwo, not destroy him!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Nodosaur posted:

Brock dresses like a frikkin tourist

Brock Is My Dad

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Trying to find a Dratini on route ten, chaining Magikarp in the meantime, and have found if I stand up while doing it I am an ace poke ball thrower.

Yeah I have an easier time calibrating it if im standing. Handhelds still better for catching though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Nodosaur posted:

your goal is to catch Mewtwo, not destroy him!

In the distant future Nintendo will absorb id Software resulting in the highly anticipated Pokemon/Doom crossover.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

BGrifter posted:

In the distant future Nintendo will absorb id Software resulting in the highly anticipated Pokemon/Doom crossover.

I dont know why but whenever I see Software I think Dark Souls and playing as a Cubone in a Souls-like Pokemon game where the bosses are Dragon-types would be loving dope

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

So could anyone give me some pointers for the Ultra Sun Elite 4? Seems i've lost my ability to effectively play pokemon!

Here is my team, any recommendations on who I should dump or change for better coverage?

decidueye - L61
vikavolt - L64
pelipper - L62
mudsdale - L56
mimikyu - L54
ninetales-alola - L53

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you're really stuck, a foolproof solution is to buy buy a bunch of X items, stick you tankiest mon in the first slot, stuff it full of buffs, and go to town.

That team looks fine except for the fact that half of it is 10 levels underleveled. You could also just sub Necrozma in for one of the low-level dudes.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Swapping out Pelipper for basically any other Water type couldn’t hurt. You also might want to swap in a Dark type or something to deal with the Ghosts. I’m also seeing some overlap here with Fairy and Ghost that could hurt a bit.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I suppose you could shore up your rock-type vulnrability by swapping out Pelipper for another water type. Maybe a Barboach or Gastrodon if you really wanna stick it to those rock types.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback...looks like old faithful Pelly gets the chop, at least for now! :)

Also, where do you grind pre E4? It seems I still can't access Poni Plains until after?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Well, you still have access to SOME parts of Poni Island, so your options are either there, or in Victory Road itself, against a bunch of ice types.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

Well, you still have access to SOME parts of Poni Island, so your options are either there, or in Victory Road itself, against a bunch of ice types.

Thought so, cheers!

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Pelliper was the first time I abandoned a team member for a stronger one to beat the elite four back in gen 3. Would die to everything even Pokemon weak to it. Replaced it with a Sharpedo.

Anyway, thanks for listening I'll just get a vanilla frosty.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
team after beating the elite 4

does the game really not track the master trainers you beat? ugh

going to have to go pen and paper

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Houle posted:

Pelliper was the first time I abandoned a team member for a stronger one to beat the elite four back in gen 3. Would die to everything even Pokemon weak to it. Replaced it with a Sharpedo.

Anyway, thanks for listening I'll just get a vanilla frosty.

It's such a shame because he legit carried me through the middle of the game, but well times change I guess, seeya thanks for coming!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Cloud the Cat posted:

It's such a shame because he legit carried me through the middle of the game, but well times change I guess, seeya thanks for coming!

If it's any comfort if you get into competitive battling in the mainline games, Pelipper is really good! He sets up rain weather, and rain teams are great.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

THE loving MOON posted:

Yeah I have an easier time calibrating it if im standing. Handhelds still better for catching though.

Not by a longshot anymore. Motion control you get additional experience multipliers, especially if you grab a second controller. I'm leveling everything I got nailing Magmars for 3-5k a throw right now. Handheld mode I'd be getting half that and dual throwing balls is a lot higher success chance

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
For a while now my Psyduck, who I always have out, has been having an extra message during attacks like "yeah I knew you could do it!" or even avoiding attacks because of my character shouting to watch out or something. I've gotten boosted XP with him as well. I thought this was just a side effect of having him out of his Pokeball all the time but recently my Venasaur has started doing this too. What causes this?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Pokemon is serious business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XViYPRYDnXY

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

"are FIVE YEAR OLDS playing this game??"

My dude... yes. yes they are.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

what's up youtube crispycharizard here

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I just tried playing docked with the joycon instead of the pokeball plus and now I fully understand why everyone hates the motion controls

Like every throw with the joycon goes the opposite of where I want it to go

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

This just in: children playing children's video game franchise we all got into as children.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
The joycon usually goes where I want it to except for the times it decides I am a MLB pitcher and whips the ball over whatever I am trying to catch at 110mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I just tried playing docked with the joycon instead of the pokeball plus and now I fully understand why everyone hates the motion controls

Like every throw with the joycon goes the opposite of where I want it to go

If I had a camera I'd show you how to do it, but one you figure it out it always goes where you want.