Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I'm on right now.

GhostStalker512

Ps4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

GoGoGadget posted:

You flop around a lot when you go down sometimes. You don't always just drop where you were standing.

People seem to complain about a lot of bugs but I haven't really encountered any other than jumping over a fence once killed me.

Also, is it just me or does no one talk in this game? I'm on PC, so you'd think they would all have mics. Seems to be a EU thing though, what with all the different languages

There's nothing new about this with BF games on PC. Hardly anyone talks. What would have made more sense is if you could talk to nearby teammates in addition to your squad mates. I think there would be a lot more chat if it worked that way.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think I like this a lot even if I’m way worse than I was in BF1 (my fave bf). There’s a lack of polish and some halfassed stuff but in general the base gameplay feels awesome. As someone who never groups/mics up I actually still really enjoy the role changes. I’m really feeling the constant flow of points as long as you’re being helpful. I’ve always been an assistismoreimportantthanakill person.

I do somewhat get the complaints that it sometimes doesn’t feel like WW2. Maybe it’s because we’re so used to the standard WW2 experience. I don’t know.

Game good tho

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Charliegrs posted:

There's nothing new about this with BF games on PC. Hardly anyone talks. What would have made more sense is if you could talk to nearby teammates in addition to your squad mates. I think there would be a lot more chat if it worked that way.

It doesn't help that anyone who isn't a loom-smashing luddite does VOIP through Discord rather than in-game chat when with friends. Same works for xbox and the party system

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Julius CSAR posted:

It may be the internet connection. I haven’t seen any netcode issues like being shot around corners and the like.

Then again I have a google fiber gigabit connection

Eh, I have Google Webpass and I’m in Denver so my ping is usually never more than 45 to any server in the country, and I’ve definitely noticed a fair amount of netcode-related issues like being shot around corners. Bizarrely it’s much more prevalent on PS4 than it is on PC.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Noctone posted:

Eh, I have Google Webpass and I’m in Denver so my ping is usually never more than 45 to any server in the country, and I’ve definitely noticed a fair amount of netcode-related issues like being shot around corners. Bizarrely it’s much more prevalent on PS4 than it is on PC.

Are you on wifi? When I hear people complaining about lag and weird issues playing online they are almost always on wifi.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Charliegrs posted:

Are you on wifi? When I hear people complaining about lag and weird issues playing online they are almost always on wifi.

Webpass is wireless internet, so even if he had a hardline from the router to the console it’s still wifi

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Charliegrs posted:

I'm hard-wired to the router but yes as Julius CSAR noted Webpass is wireless to the building (point-to-point microwave radio).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

As Support should I pretty much always build things up when I can?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Depending on the map and point. On devastation, building and holding B is a great option and one of the hardest points to take back when fully fortified. We got a game where between all four goons in the squad got over 110 kills (conquest of course) because we camped on B and the other team was bleeding tickets trying to get the point.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Kilometers Davis posted:

As Support should I pretty much always build things up when I can?

A few of the points funnel people into very specific areas which make it extremely easy to defend. I rarely see people actually blowing the fortifactions up to get past them they normally just try to jump over and if they can't they move to a open enterance where defensive players are (should be) waiting. Devastation is a great example of how fortifactions are amazing when placed.

Maps like Arras just seem to have fortifactions which only provide minimal cover so its kind of a waste of time to build anything except the supply points.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

CuddleCryptid posted:

Unrelated, friendship ended with Panzerfaust, now PIAT is best friend.

Is this like an RPG vs SMAW thing? Lower damage for higher velocity / flater trajectory? I'm not enjoying the drop the Panzerfaust has.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Beach Party posted:

A few of the points funnel people into very specific areas which make it extremely easy to defend. I rarely see people actually blowing the fortifactions up to get past them they normally just try to jump over and if they can't they move to a open enterance where defensive players are (should be) waiting. Devastation is a great example of how fortifactions are amazing when placed.

Maps like Arras just seem to have fortifactions which only provide minimal cover so its kind of a waste of time to build anything except the supply points.

I’ll keep that in mind, thanks :)

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

sunday at work posted:

Is this like an RPG vs SMAW thing? Lower damage for higher velocity / flater trajectory? I'm not enjoying the drop the Panzerfaust has.

The PIAT has a even worse drop. You can't fight tanks at mid range without aiming really high up and even then it falls flat.

PIAT is good vs fortified positions.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Remember, if you aim down sight with the piat your minimap will show you where the shot will land.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

lambskin posted:

Remember, if you aim down sight with the piat your minimap will show you where the shot will land.

wow thanks! had no idea.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

lambskin posted:

Exactly. I can't account for damage but I have made some beautiful arcing kills with it because of that map ability.

I mostly enjoy it because people who snipe in tanks drive me up a wall. It's the smartest thing from the tank's perspective, but lobbing rockets at a distance is a mess.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

when narvik comes up in the rotation four times in a row after I close application each time it throws me into a game.:downsgun:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

zooted heh posted:

when narvik comes up in the rotation four times in a row after I close application each time it throws me into a game.:downsgun:

You can filter search servers to join whatever map you want

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

last time I tried to use it no servers came up when I unchecked it.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

zooted heh posted:

The PIAT has a even worse drop. You can't fight tanks at mid range without aiming really high up and even then it falls flat.

PIAT is good vs fortified positions.

Oh well. I've mostly been using the rockets for busting fortifications and anti infantry anyway. Sticky dynamite + anti tank grenade bundle gets the job done against armor.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I feel like Stukkas need a bit of a nerf. I poo poo down three planes and two bombers last match with a spitfire.

I got on two different Stukkas tails and they were able to switch seats and shoot me down with that rear gun.

On top of that they just eat damage. I don’t think I had made either smoke.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
For those of you on the fence or waiting on this game like me, it's $30 at Target until Friday. I'm picking it up at that price.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Beastie posted:

I feel like Stukkas need a bit of a nerf. I poo poo down three planes and two bombers last match with a spitfire.

I got on two different Stukkas tails and they were able to switch seats and shoot me down with that rear gun.

IMO make it so that you death spiral pretty quickly after leaving the pilot's seat unless you are perfectly level. Pointing the plane at a 45 degree angle and then dropping the stick for 30 seconds to jump in the rear gun is not how planes work.

Enforce some teamwork for those shits.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

IMO make it so that you death spiral pretty quickly after leaving the pilot's seat unless you are perfectly level. Pointing the plane at a 45 degree angle and then dropping the stick for 30 seconds to jump in the rear gun is not how planes work.

They should have done that a week into Battlefield 1.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

humpthewind posted:

For those of you on the fence or waiting on this game like me, it's $30 at Target until Friday. I'm picking it up at that price.

Wish this was on PSN so I could use my $15 credit...

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
There's a fine balance between making bombers op or useless (like in bf1). If a bomber seat switches on you just pull away and come in for another strafe. If you slow down behind him then yes, the gunner will shred you, like they should.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

CuddleCryptid posted:

100% agree here. I fly all the time and really have no issue being shot down by AAA, another fighter, or a tail gunner on a plane with a pilot. But the ability to insta-switch seats from the cockpit to all the way into the back of the plane is... well it's dumb as all hell. At least in BF1 you could see the animation of the dude swapping the seats and peel off, but this is garbage.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Is every Conquest map having varying ticket levels a thing, now?

The hell happened to 1,000 tickets per round on base game servers? What’s this 450 tickets to start out with bullshit?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

humpthewind posted:

Bestbuy will price match Targets $30 and you get a free steelbook. Just picked up two copies, with out any problesm. Also if Target runs out Bestbuy does have it on sale for $40.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Beastie posted:

loving agreed. Same with a couple other planes with a rear gun

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How are the war stories? I might boot that up later if the mp doesn’t suck me in first.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

War stories are bad even by BF standards.

All of them boil down to “you’re behind enemy lines, go take out these three objectives.”

On top of that they carried over the grandiose first person accounts that just sound like a more romanced metal gear script.

I’m hoping the tank one (comes out the 4th) is better but eh.

All you get is a melee weapon, one for each campaign, I believe.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Beastie posted:

All of them boil down to “you’re behind enemy lines, go take out these three objectives.”

On top of that they carried over the grandiose first person accounts that just sound like a more romanced metal gear script.

Vanity melee weapons really is all they should be rewarding though, at least until they figure out how to make enjoyable SP

actual weapons like BF4 would make it non-optional

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I bought the game from target anyway because I’m weak

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Beastie posted:

lol'ing at this because it's probably so true. "Romanced metal gear script" describes most of the BF1 stories.

I'll probably never get around to war stories in this barring an internet outage. They're just so always so... bland.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
No wait, if my internet is out I won't be able to play at all because the xbox can't verify I own the game.

God bless our modern technology lol.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Beastie posted:

Bolded sounds great tbqh

I’ll give them a try sometime. I don’t ask for much. Just satisfying shooting and compelling stories of some sort. The settings should at least be nice to see.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I can get this game for $20, are goons still playing this on PS4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I am